Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2021, 09:55 PM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

Both my sons live in Austin and they love it for different reasons (high tech job for one, liberal leaning for the other). I don't live in Austin and don't know if I want to but would consider living near Austin should we decide to sell the farm but stay in Texas. I love the easy going acceptance in Austin. Yes, it is getting more and more "gentrified" as my younger son complains, but it is a unique and welcoming city, full of great restaurants and miles and miles of bike trails, parks, lakes...You can't beat the Mexican food and the many, many unique food trucks. Austin has a lot going for it.

Houston has been home for us for over 30 years...I remember when DH got a job offer there. Friends gave us their condolences! Having never been to Houston at the time, I was perturbed and a bit unnerved. But I have loved Houston! Houston has so many wonderful qualities, the most important to me being the diversity and friendliness of the people and, of course, exceptional medical care. Houston is an extremely resilient city with people who are generous and kind. Having been through hurricanes, floods and the recent power grid fiasco, I can tell you firsthand that the citizens of Houston are some of the most selfless, generous souls I've ever met and I'm proud to call myself a Houstonian. Houston's innovative and an exciting place to be in especially if you are starting out or furthering your career. The entrepreneurial vibe is strong. That said, the downsides to Houston for me at this time of my life are enough to take notice of: the traffic, the sheer density of the population, the crime, humidity, mosquitos, hurricanes and flooding. I am simply ready for a simpler, easier life with less "busy" and more natural beauty.

I wish I could remember who on this forum recently said something to the effect of "there's no perfect place to live; pick the best you can and get on with it." That is the best advice and mimics what I heard a space planner once say - "I can give you lots of things but I can't give you everything. Focus on what matters most."

DH and I are in the process of wrestling with this ourselves and I've talked about that in another post. When I find the magic formula for settling on the perfect place, I'll let you know
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired to Hungary in 2009 because of moderate climate, food quality, low cost of living, low crime, high ethical values, location in central Europe, zero property taxes, zero death taxes and excellent and cheap medical (although costs are increasing rapidly but are still ridiculously low in comparison to the US). Disadvantages are impossible language, old soviet style bureaucracies (and lots of paperwork with many stamps from low-level officials who are a PITA, fatalistic attitudes (common to all Eastern European countries), lack of technological advances but rapidly improving, very low use or understanding of anything other than Hungarian language but again improving rapidly, very xenophobic culture (if you aren't white forget living here and forget any foreign foods at all even Italian is considered "foreign" and not to be trusted), the government is semi-autocratic and very corrupt (but similar to the US in that regard).

We are happy here and wouldn't do it differently. Here we are rich and anywhere in the US we would not have anything similar in lifestyle.
Old Microbiologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:00 PM   #163
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
I’ve seen fireworks in SF. What about moving to Central Valley areas?
You can see fireworks in California but they are illegal to purchase and set off as an individual. Towns, Associations, Parks will usually put on a show.

As Rodi said when you have a paid off house in California it’s not expensive to stay. Prop 13 keeps the property taxes in check compared to say Texas’s 3% rate. Since I bought 20 years ago I pay less than half than a buyer today in my neighborhood.

The Central Valley is much hotter and no where near the ocean, I have no plans to sell my So Cal home it’s worth more to me as a home base or even a rental than selling.

We will travel. Maybe we will buy a second home or maybe we won’t our adventure is just beginning.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:58 AM   #164
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired at 52, DW was 59,,,,, Decided to move from Wichita KS to our lake condo at Lake of the Ozarks 4 months before my actual end date.....After the first winter in the Ozarks in the cold, we decided to look for a place to rent in Ft Myers, FL......After renting 4 months we purchased an 800 sqft park model in a 55+ community where you own your lot as well as your unit. We spend 8 months in FL and 4 months in the Ozarks. With the crazy market we have bought and sold 3 condos in the Ozarks and are now living in KS in a condo we purchased for this summer. Our plan is to sell this condo at the end of the summer and look for another good deal in the Ozarks ...... We have actually had 7 different properties in 7.5 years...... With the market the way it is, it is hard not to keep flipping the properties .....
Old 07-07-2021, 05:55 AM   #165
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What part of NYC?

Midtown East. Referred to as Turtle Bay.

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Where did you retire?
Old 07-07-2021, 08:56 AM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Where did you retire?

I have spent my life California dreaming but have never left the DC metro area. I was born and raised here. I mostly stayed due to my mom's mental issues and couldn't bear to leave my dad to suffer.

Retired in 2018 @54 and moved from Mclean Va 7 miles west to the Town Center Area of Reston, Va. We absolutely love it here. It is kind of like a Disneyfied version of a city, which is perfect for us. On top of that we are convenient to biking/hiking trails, plenty of heavily wooded areas, and we are only 7 minutes from Dulles International airport.

COL has never been an issue as I planned well and was very fortunate to be able to meet my financial goals.

My son and his family which includes 2 grandkids have moved a mile away from us. So with my parents here, my son and his family here, my youngest here, my sister and her fam here, and SIL and her family here, its just tough to leave this area.

So we will continue to put my California dream on hold (although my middle daughter does live in San Fran)
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:08 AM   #167
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
We lived near Laguna Beach, and do miss the weather and a couple of good friends, but honestly not much else. The Traffic was ludicrous and the people congestion was getting silly. Especially around the "Y" and Irvine Spectrum.
Grew up in Southern California and lived/worked in this area described above until 9 years ago. We knew we wanted to live elsewhere in retirement, but only visited and researched one location when my wife made an interesting proposal - Move while we were still working and give the area a good test-drive. We weren't locked into jobs at the time, so that limited the stakes on our gamble.

We moved to St George, Utah before things fully recovered from the Great Recession. The city now has about 80K residents with double that for the whole metro area. That means we have some big box stores, including Costco. There's a world-class hospital in town, and if we drive 15 minutes from home in virtually any direction we're in open land. Las Vegas is 120 miles away, and Salt Lake City 300 miles away. We're at 2,500' elevation with 10K peaks a 2 hour drive.

Seven years ago my DW asked if we could use a small inheritance to try RVing. Turns out we have dozens of awesome places to visit within 150 miles of home. We averaged 50-nights of camping a year until last year gave us the chance to break 100-nights for the first time.

The biggest downsides are the area is growing too fast right now, and we have long term risks related to having enough water.

For LCOL, I'm saving close to $6K per year on property taxes and HOA alone. Locally there's a 40% break on property taxes if you're a full time resident. And naturally selling a California house allowed us to pay cash for this one and still bank some of the appreciation on our CA house. Utah is slowly improving on social security exemptions for income tax.

I had never lived out of state before, and DW spent only 2 years outside California. There have been adjustments, but it was the right choice for us.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired six years ago from Boston area to Cape Cod - about 100 miles southeast. It’s a HCOL area, but we love it for three reasons: 1. Our kind of people. We’re lifelong liberals. 2. Our kind of climate. With all respect to the sun-seekers, we like our seasons. Winter on Cape Cod is lovely. 3. Our kind of recreation. We live on a beautiful rail trail bike path. We’ve got woods and beaches and lots of people making their own musical entertainment and just about everything we’ve ever wanted.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

We retired where we were in South Dakota. Kids and grandkids live here so that makes a difference. We love it here and have had quite an influx of people moving here in the last year for the freedom. Spring is nice, but short. Summer can be hot, but usually tolerable. Fall is beautiful. Winters are cold, but you get used to the cold to an extent. On the really cold days we just stay inside.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Where did you retire?
Old 07-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #170
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Where did you retire?

Primarily in a very comfortable "executive" chair in front of my desktop PC.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:05 PM   #171
Recycles dryer sheets

Moved from SLC Utah to the SF Bay area 10 years ago, and bought a house before they became insanely expensive. I love the people, the climate and the lifestyle here. And contrary to popular opinion, I find the COL moderate, thanks to Prop 13 and progressive state income taxes.
Tafkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Stayed put
Old 07-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #172
Recycles dryer sheets

Stayed put

We stayed where we have lived for the last 39 years. (West of Houston, TX)
House is paid for, no other debt. Grandkids live within an hours drive.
Other considerations are:
2 major airports nearby for travel
No state income tax

Other thoughts:
Would like to eventually move to a better neighborhood (newer house that will outlive us), but will wait for the craziness of the housing market to settle out.
sroby2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:59 PM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Just retired a couple months ago and moved from Northern VA to Central FLA. It doesn't make sense to compare apples to oranges, so I'll just say it's obviously cheaper and quieter to live here, but of course there are things I miss about metro life - (not the traffic! LOL)
But I'm only planning to be here as a gap year to relax, decompress, restore my soul and get ready for my next life adventures as an international nomad.
I am sooo grateful to be able to, figuratively speaking, relax under trees I planted a long time ago.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:15 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyOne View Post
Just retired a couple months ago and moved from Northern VA to Central FLA. It doesn't make sense to compare apples to oranges, so I'll just say it's obviously cheaper and quieter to live here, but of course there are things I miss about metro life - (not the traffic! LOL)
But I'm only planning to be here as a gap year to relax, decompress, restore my soul and get ready for my next life adventures as an international nomad.
I am sooo grateful to be able to, figuratively speaking, relax under trees I planted a long time ago.
good for you SunnyOne! How did you come to pick Central Florida and what's on your list first for nomadic living?
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you!....well i've been travelling to FLA nearly my entire life and I have great memories in this state, also friends and family around the state - so it seemed logical to be in a place that reminds me of great times...plus there is a lot to do here...even more if I end up closer to the coast.
I am planning to spend time in Europe, Mexico and Asia....and that's a start
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 06:21 PM   #176
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Have lived in Texas for 30+ years and decided to retire here also. We retired (finally) to a CCRC not far from where we had a house. Last night DW said (out of the blue) " You know mickeyd, I don't ever want to leave this place."

We are probably here to stay.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 09:47 AM   #177
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?
Heh, heh, sort of did both - stayed in same vicinity AND another destination.

As I write this, I'm sitting in the same house I grew up in beginning 70+ years ago. I call it the "homestead" (it's an old farm house that was built, beginning just after the Civil War.) We spend most summers here.

Shortly following FIRE, we moved "full time" (as in changing state residence) to Honolulu (Oahu) Hawaii. Fall, winter, and spring are spent in the Islands.

No idea of what a good "bang for your buck" area would be. Our homestead is much cheaper than Honolulu, but since Kupuna (elders) have many tax advantages, Hawaii is manageable to those who have reasonable income/savings AND are adaptable. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Not sure!
Old 07-09-2021, 03:43 PM   #178
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure!

DH just retired & I'm planning to in 2 years.
Have lived in Nebraska our whole lives & have wanted nothing more than to move somewhere warmer & less humid. (I have arthritis; he LOVES to golf)
We have always said Vegas.
Would still like to, tho some concern about future water issues.
We are only 55 & 58.
DM76 who is a go getter & always in good shape was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer in Feb. Doing well for now but it is a roller coaster with lots of unknowns.
DF76 had prostate cancer a few years ago, treated, did great, now numbers r starting to rise.
SO--we shall see how the next 2 years go. No interest in going anywhere for now.
DS26 is in CA--would love CA but not interested in the housing in my budget. DD23 is in Fort Worth--do love FW but hate the summer.
DS20 still in college.
Suddenly we are like--WHO KNOWS??!!
But our retirement goal otherwise is no different--travel, travel, travel.
We have done it as much as possible w/in our schedules & budget over the years, and intend to continue.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #179
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Retired in the same place we have been living since 1989. On the Connecticut shoreline. Are there cheaper places? Yes. Are there better places? No.
This is my city - https://www.nhregister.com/news/arti...o-16304556.php

Quote:
Mayor Ben Blake said the city is the kind of place that when people visit they end up wanting to live here.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #180
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
A big area so you’ll have to narrow it down there’s no blanket assesMeant that can be made
Oh ok. It was in Embarcadero I think.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retire, state, usa