Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-30-2021, 04:02 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I just looked 110K and that is 109997 to many people for me. Lol It is the largest town in MT. They drive like they are crazy.
yes and TERRIBLE traffic!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 04:07 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

We retired in the Bay Area and stayed here. I grew up in the Midwest in an area with lots of forests, lakes and outdoor activities but didn't like the winters. We moved south for less extreme winters but ended up in a prairie city with few trees, parks and no scenery. The next move we did our research better and found a place that matched what we wanted more for parks, scenery, lakes, beaches, arts and culture and weather, and have been happy with our choice. It has been a fun place to be retired.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:11 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Retired in Missouri, but moved to Florida.
+1
Retired in downtown KCMO and moved to CO.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired in Colorado. Promptly moved to ABQ area in New Mexico. During my work career DW and I moved between Colorado, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Texas, Arizona, South & North Dakota, Yukon, Alaska, Wyoming, California. Our deal was that DW would get to pick the retirement spot. DW went to grade school in NM. So here we are. So far so good. We were here two years before the pandemic.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Born, raised and worked in Houston "but" by the time I was in my 40's, I knew I didn't want to live there once I retired... There's a lot of reasons why, but crowds, taxes and crime were near the top of my list.
We knew 10 years before we retired that we wouldn't stay in suburban DC beyond our working years. Crime wasn't a significant issue, but cost of living and overall quality of life were.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^
The quality of living in Houston has fallen off about as fast as the population has grown. When I was born there in the early 50's, the population of the greater Houston metro area was about 700k... Now it's about 7m... Or said another way, it's population has grown by ~10 times in just ~70 years... The problems grew about the same rate, maybe faster. And folks wonder why I don't want to see anyone else move to Texas.

Now I will admit, it was a great place to work for top dollar and benefits... And it still is.... But that is a heck of a price to pay! And that's about the only good thing I can say about the city these days.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:10 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
It is just prettier here in Nova in both our opinions (both Texans) and we love the mild four-season climate, rolling hills and, yes, the sign ordinances!
Yes, I miss sign ordinances. The commercial strips in our Virginia region are pretty depressing without them.

More generally, many of the DC suburbs are very attractive. But the nicer ones are stunningly expensive unless they are 40-50 miles out.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:26 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in 5 states and moved to Reno for a job 24 years ago. I love the mild 4 seasons and would never leave. People are moving in like crazy which has increased our COL.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Yes, I miss sign ordinances. The commercial strips in our Virginia region are pretty depressing without them.

More generally, many of the DC suburbs are very attractive. But the nicer ones are stunningly expensive unless they are 40-50 miles out.
Out of Steam where did you guys retire to?
Old 07-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Out of Steam where did you guys retire to?
Suburban Richmond. I had lived here in the 1980s.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Suburban Richmond. I had lived here in the 1980s.
Nice area! Sent you a PM.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #112

Quote:
...They drive like they are crazy.
i guess you've never spent time in the Bay Area of California. we've been here since May 15th settling my late BIL's affairs. our welcome to the Golden State was a motorcyclist splitting the lanes...riding between the lanes...on the 101 with traffic moving at or above the posted limit. and it's 'sposed to be legal! nobody stops at stop signs, we see red light runners every day (not on the yellow...on the red). speed limits? ha! i thought chicago drivers were nuts but these folks are textbook nuts. on the positive side they are generally very polite. they'll make room for you when changing lanes or at entrance ramps.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

^ that would be to much for me. Lol I just could not live in a city, I would feel closed in and to many people.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:17 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
And that's about the only good thing I can say about the city these days.
I flew in and out of Houston for my W$%#k both when I lived in SoCAL and then when I was in NE. Fla. Spent about 1 week in every 4 for 5 years there.

Now come on, you must admit, the Sushi in Houston is/was to die for. That is the ONLY thing I miss, and would never live there, never in a month of Sundays. In fact before I Early Retired and had just moved Florida (Anticipating my early retirement), my company offered me a very lucrative (One of your points) move there. I replied very quickly, "It is never going to happen". So I continued commuting till I retired.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

I liked Houston back in the 1990's, to the point where I was hoping for a job offer there. The job turned out to be in New Orleans which is how I got here.

Sounds like Houston has changed! Maybe I lucked out.

When I was w*rking, I had to fly to Houston every month or two to meet with various oil company folks. Liked the people, but hated having to travel for work. Luckily I found a motel that I liked and at my request our administrative assistant would put me there every time. So, I didn't really see much of Houston; I saw the motel room and the meeting room.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Red Lodge
Old 07-02-2021, 09:43 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Red Lodge

Quote:
Noooooo! Lol! I'm a half day from there thank God! Lol
The best summer of my life was spent in Mt. The Fourth of July 1976 was in Red Lodge, went to a rodeo watched the fireworks, had 2 inches of snow fall at the campground, backpacked to Hell Roaring Plateau. Spent the rest of the summer in Helena. Good Good Times.
arbeadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Retired in place here in the central valley of CA where I've been for 35 years. Know it, like it and the mortgage is long paid off.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:44 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeadub View Post
The best summer of my life was spent in Mt. The Fourth of July 1976 was in Red Lodge, went to a rodeo watched the fireworks, had 2 inches of snow fall at the campground, backpacked to Hell Roaring Plateau. Spent the rest of the summer in Helena. Good Good Times.
Montana probably had the lowest population back in 1976 I suppose.
F.I.R.E User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:58 AM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought our "retirement home" back in 2011 while still working - in CO, about 30 minutes west of Colorado Springs. We're early in our retirement and will probably stay here, but DW has worsening osteoarthritis so we might need to eventually look for someplace with a warmer climate, flatter terrain, and less dramatic seasonal changes. But for anyone without mobility issues, who loves the outdoors, and doesn't mind some snow in the winter this area is tough to beat.
intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We wanted to move to Springfield, Missouri. We liked how low key and peaceful it seems in that out-of-the-way Ozarks town. People seemed so friendly and civilized, and seem to share our old-time American values. Our dream of that town was sort of similar to Mayberry RFD, although in reality it is probably not like that. But that's what we were thinking at the time and that appeals to us. Also there are no hurricanes there and there appears to be less violent crime there, than in New Orleans.

While New Orleans is not expensive, we loved that Springfield is even less expensive, especially for housing. However, now we both have paid off homes so the cost of housing no longer seems like such a burden. Also, moving is expensive too, and we didn't have to pay for a move.

My sister lives on Springfield and is a prof. At the university there. I don’t see the Mayberry RFD semblance, but it is a nice enough LCOL place with a university and a couple regional hospitals. It has a decent airport also. Weather is not too bad either
mh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retire, state, usa