Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2021, 04:49 PM   #141
Recycles dryer sheets

Tennessee!!
Low cost of living, no state tax and I have views for 40 miles from my nest on top of the Cumberland Plateau. 1/2 hr from Chattanooga (phenomenal mid-sized town) and 1.5 hrs from Nashville and Huntsville, yet 10 minutes from Lowe's and Wally-World. Lakes, rivers, hiking, history....etc. Lived on both coasts and have never looked back.
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 04:55 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I will post this site it will be more beneficial to you.
https://www.planetware.com/montana/t...a-us-mt-53.htm

As a life long avid hiker that list looks fantastic!
I've been to the Tetons, Yellowstone and Yosemite.Also spent 2 weeks in Rocky Mountain NP in my youth. Love the west but have never actually been to Montana. Hope to change that sometime soon.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #143
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.I.R.E User View Post
For those who pursued F.I.R.E in USA:

Where did you decide to retire? Did you stay at the same vicinity or chose another destination and why?

What major city and/or small town in USA gives the best bang for your buck in retirement purely from a financial perspective?
I retired near one of my sons in Tomball, Texas. I became a Texan when I married my wife who was from there (in 1964 at age 27).

If you have been blessed with a child that you get along with (or better) you must live near them so that when you get older and/or infirm you will have a resource when the medical, government, and other sharks really will come after you.

I you do not have a caring relation you can count on (preferably younger than you are) you had better have a few good long-term friends. Stay near them! Moving strictly for money will bring nothing but grief.
chasrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Where did you retire?
Old 07-06-2021, 06:03 PM   #144

Where did you retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
CA continues to price out many residents. A lot of them including my family members friends have moved from Southern CA to cheaper COL TX. There are so many from CA that have moved to the Austin TX area that Austin residents are now known as Austinfornians.

Califaustins rolls off the tongue better. It also alludes to a Faustian bargain in some way [emoji1782] The penalty being you can’t ever leave ( I kid …. I kid ) [emoji1782]
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We moved south 750 miles from near to Chicago to NC. We miss Lake Michigan and our friends up north, but nothing else…

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:28 PM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It is just over 1M now. ~56% of the land in MT is private 44% is public lands. A lot to do with so much public lands. That is why the state is so large and has about the same private land as some of the upper plains state.
Yup, that is part of the reason why we retired in Western CO. In our county (Mesa County, CO) the percentage of public land is 72%.

P.S. I bet my friend recently that there is no BLM land in TX. I lost, as there is actually a small tract north of Amarillo. Who would have thought.
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Where did you retire?
Old 07-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #147

Where did you retire?

Quote:
Very expensive?

The big expense is real estate. Ventura county has a pretty diverse range of real estate prices. Places like Santa Paula are are less expensive , while still being close to things like the beach , mountains , and LA is still plenty close for day trips etc.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:39 PM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
Yup, that is part of the reason why we retired in Western CO. In our county (Mesa County, CO) the percentage of public land is 72%.

P.S. I bet my friend recently that there is no BLM land in TX. I lost, as there is actually a small tract north of Amarillo. Who would have thought.
From Alzada (SE) to Yaak (NW) Montana there is more miles and hours driving, then driving to Montana to Texas. A big state with public land at every turn.

Measuring diagonally from SE to NW then measuring from Mt to Texass.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:45 PM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired in 2018, and stayed put in Plano, Texas. Texas is awesome. Moved here in '82, bought current house in '92 as original owner. Put pool in backyard in '99. After retirement, it's like my constant backyard sanctuary now. I can get on the bike trails and can ride 30 miles on them, with hardly any roads to deal with traffic. It's not perfect, but staying put in Plano is my peace....for now.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by intent View Post
We bought our "retirement home" back in 2011 while still working - in CO, about 30 minutes west of Colorado Springs. We're early in our retirement and will probably stay here, but DW has worsening osteoarthritis so we might need to eventually look for someplace with a warmer climate, flatter terrain, and less dramatic seasonal changes. But for anyone without mobility issues, who loves the outdoors, and doesn't mind some snow in the winter this area is tough to beat.
Houston, TX? We have amazing healthcare options here.
F.I.R.E User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:59 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
i guess you've never spent time in the Bay Area of California. we've been here since May 15th settling my late BIL's affairs. our welcome to the Golden State was a motorcyclist splitting the lanes...riding between the lanes...on the 101 with traffic moving at or above the posted limit. and it's 'sposed to be legal! nobody stops at stop signs, we see red light runners every day (not on the yellow...on the red). speed limits? ha! i thought chicago drivers were nuts but these folks are textbook nuts. on the positive side they are generally very polite. they'll make room for you when changing lanes or at entrance ramps.
Most people are in a hurry there. It’s BA fast life.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
CA continues to price out many residents. A lot of them including my family members friends have moved from Southern CA to cheaper COL TX. There are so many from CA that have moved to the Austin TX area that Austin residents are now known as Austinfornians.
Right but how long will they stay in Austin?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:06 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
We retired in Nov 2020 moved from our temporary apartment in Castro Valley, East Bay to our paid off home in So Cal. Lake Forest, Ca is still nice compared to the yuck up North.

We talk about buying a home outside of Ca but haven’t found where yet. DH says he wants 100 acres.

We spent last week in the Keys. The humidity was too much for us unless we were in the water and the bugs loved us. Still itching like crazy. Florida is a no go for us.

This week we are In Branson, Missouri. Flew into Springfield, drive back to Nixa to see DH sister each day. I am actually very impressed with the area. It’s not as humid as I thought it would be. It sooo green with open space and the people seem quite friendly. I am just loving all the back roads that are tree lined. We set off 3 hours worth of fireworks in SIL backyard which was really fun as fireworks have been illegal in Ca since I was a teen. I don’t know if we would live here but it has been eye opening to the possibilities of finding paradise some place outside of Ca.
I’ve seen fireworks in SF. What about moving to Central Valley areas?
Where did you retire?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:09 PM   #154
Dryer sheet aficionado

Where did you retire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuba View Post
Tennessee!!
Low cost of living, no state tax and I have views for 40 miles from my nest on top of the Cumberland Plateau. 1/2 hr from Chattanooga (phenomenal mid-sized town) and 1.5 hrs from Nashville and Huntsville, yet 10 minutes from Lowe's and Wally-World. Lakes, rivers, hiking, history....etc. Lived on both coasts and have never looked back.
If I had to guess, you're located in the Jasper Highlands area. Am I correct?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Retired in Houston, but, built a home on Lake Livingston beforehand. LCOL! Not for everyone, especially if you are looking for fine dining and night life.
LL is far from Houston.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:12 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I've lived in NYC since 1990. Retired January 2017 and remain in NYC. Contrary to conventional wisdom, it's an excellent place to retire--many volunteer opportunities, great healthcare, great transportation system, walking is built into the lifestyle, endless activities, etc
What part of NYC?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:13 PM   #157

Quote:
It is just over 1M now. ~56% of the land in MT is private 44% is public lands. A lot to do with so much public lands. That is why the state is so large and has about the same private land as some of the upper plains state.
What is population where you live?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasrome View Post
I retired near one of my sons in Tomball, Texas. I became a Texan when I married my wife who was from there (in 1964 at age 27).

If you have been blessed with a child that you get along with (or better) you must live near them so that when you get older and/or infirm you will have a resource when the medical, government, and other sharks really will come after you.

I you do not have a caring relation you can count on (preferably younger than you are) you had better have a few good long-term friends. Stay near them! Moving strictly for money will bring nothing but grief.
Well my mother lives with me. She is a widow. I agree. Friends and family is very important.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Retired in 2018, and stayed put in Plano, Texas. Texas is awesome. Moved here in '82, bought current house in '92 as original owner. Put pool in backyard in '99. After retirement, it's like my constant backyard sanctuary now. I can get on the bike trails and can ride 30 miles on them, with hardly any roads to deal with traffic. It's not perfect, but staying put in Plano is my peace....for now.
Plano is the best suburb of Dallas.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:31 PM   #160

Quote:
I’ve seen fireworks in SF. What about moving to Central Valley areas?

A big area so you’ll have to narrow it down there’s no blanket assesMeant that can be made

Tags
retire, state, usa