Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
winger,

I am very interested in your setup. That is very similar to something I was initially considering; but, I received a great deal of negative feedback regarding the idea. So, I basically abandoned it. Most of that negative feedback feel into these categories:
(1) Too much to pull with a pic-up (even a big diesel dually).
(2) Trailer pulling a trailer is hard to tow, dangerous, illegal in some states, etc.

Since you seem happy with this configuration, I would really like to hear more details about your experience with it. I am especially interested in what you would do differently as well as what you would do exactly the same if you were starting from scratch (no 5th wheel, no truck, etc.).

Thank you so much for sharing.
Seems to me you can buy 5th wheel's with a cargo area these days. If you can live with a little less space that might be a better choice. Someone also mentioned a rack on the back bumper for a motor cycle on 5th wheels. But the size & weight of bike probably comes into play with that
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Seems to me you can buy 5th wheel's with a cargo area these days. If you can live with a little less space that might be a better choice.
Steve
We looked at toyhaulers before we bought our present RV. We'll look again b4 we upgrade.

Most of the THs are made for weekend use. In the mud or desert, it seems Lots of beds, but sparse living areas. One we looked at had a fridge in the back area, with a tap ready for a keg of beer. The hauler area in most are 10-12 feet long, and as wide as the RV. That is mostly wasted space once you get your toy unloaded. It could easily be a 1/3 of your living space.............
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still traveling ...
Since 07/01/07 FIRE we have been to
Asia - 5 months
Taiwan, Hong Kong, Shanghai, HangZhou, SuZhou, NanJing, Cambodia
Las Vegas - 5 times, total of 4 months
California & Wisconsin - 6 or so trips for about 8 weeks (visiting family)

Immediate future travel plans (the next year or so) -
Las Vegas (anyone have that 1-800 number?), probably 2 or 3 weeks
Asia - more cities in China and perhaps SEA (Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia) for about 4 months
More Family visits around U.S. - at least once a month while in US

Trying to do Asia while we are still relatively young and have better immune systems.
Europe will start when we have hit most of the places we want to see in Asia.

There seems to be less travelers of late. Airports are less crowded, hotel and restaurant staff seem to be a bit more eager to please and friendly (well some are anyway). Our friends, family and fellow travelers seem to be a bit more tight (as we are) with our travel dollars since we are in a R*ccession,.

oh well
have a good time
Old 08-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is a map of our 2008 travels. You can also see 2007 and 2006. Click on the pins and it will give you date and location. If you zoom in on satellite view, you might even be able to see the RV park!

Audrey & John's Travel Maps

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 AM   #25

I love hearing about everyone's travel stories! DW and I are in our mid thirties with a little one, so we are a ways from a PT lifestyle. We love traveling overseas and manage 1 or 2 short trips (4 weeks total) a year. It is significantly harder with a 2 year old, but very rewarding nonetheless.

I really admire people like MJ who can move some place for a long period of time. I think we would like to keep our home base and travel for 3 months at a time (get an apartment, live like a local etc). Doing volunteer work, going to an language immersion school or teaching English seems interesting. Anyone do this kind of travel?

It's interesting that I feel that I could move to a lot of countries where I've traveled to (like Chiang Mai for instance!) I think it's because I tend to romanticize a place which is easy when you have such a good time visiting the sites, sampling food, etc.
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #26

WanderALot
Quote:
I really admire people like MJ who can move some place for a long period of time. I think we would like to keep our home base and travel for 3 months at a time (get an apartment, live like a local etc). Doing volunteer work, going to an language immersion school or teaching English seems interesting. Anyone do this kind of travel?
Traveling and living locally is an efficient way of seeing the world. You will get more bang for the buck since you will be approaching it as your lifestyle, not as a vacation.

Vacationing is a different mental framework and usually the trips are shorter term. We almost never go anywhere for less than a month at a time, so we get better pricing on housing, we have the choice of cooking at ‘home,’ and since we are not pressed for time, we use local transportation instead of renting a car to zip around. We get to know the locals and volunteer in local projects.

Billy and I have been living this ‘Global Resident’ lifestyle since 1991 and it has proven to be very rewarding.

DangerMouse
Quote:
I would love if those who travel would take the time to drop in and update us on their latest travels and share some pictures to remind us all of what is out there in the big world we exist in.
We just spent a year in Asia, 6 months in Mexico and the last 6 months in the States. Here’s an outstanding photo essay on Chihuly Glass in the Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix, Arizona.

Enjoy the photos and travel stories!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer’s Guide to Early Retirement

Old 08-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
We looked at toyhaulers before we bought our present RV. We'll look again b4 we upgrade.

Most of the THs are made for weekend use. In the mud or desert, it seems Lots of beds, but sparse living areas. One we looked at had a fridge in the back area, with a tap ready for a keg of beer. The hauler area in most are 10-12 feet long, and as wide as the RV. That is mostly wasted space once you get your toy unloaded. It could easily be a 1/3 of your living space.............
Not to mention most toy haulers seems to have decor right out of the X Games. You are sacrificing a lot for the toys. For things like mountain bikes and skies, they can probably fit in the basement.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
PT Update
Old 08-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #28

PT Update

I feel bad about not posting here more often -- I have tried to fill this post with some pearls of wisdom. During the last year, I lived in Thailand for 8 months, traveled around the Philippines for 1 month, returned to the USA for 6 weeks, and have been living in Medellin, Colombia for 6 weeks. It has been the best year of my life.

Maybe there is a PT community in Chiang Mai because I have met some of the other PTs there: Billy, Akaisha, MJ, Paul and Vicki Terrhorst.

I learned beginning Thai in Thailand with the equivalent of about 2 months of language school (spent first month in a Bangkok language school). I love day to day life in Chiang Mai, especially on my 125 cc motorbike, which I rent for about $70 per month. I lived in a hotel there although if/when I return I will probably live in a condo. I have some Thai friends but really most of my friends in Thailand are other expats (as opposed to Philippines and Colombia).

I have many friends in the Philippines after two 1 month visits in the last 2 years and am considering spending more time there in the future. In fact, there really is no place quite like it and there are lots of negatives and positives. But at least I know what they are now -- I feel like it takes 2 extended trips to a place to really get to know it.

I spent most of my 6 weeks in the USA assiduously helping my extended family. They had saved up some projects for me and I planned my return to the USA in time to help my mom move and repair her home.

Living in Medellin, Colombia has been great. I live in an upscale condo here, my room is huge (180 square feet overlooking a park, with extended cable TV, Wi-Fi), great neighborhood (possibly the best neighborhood I have lived in in my life), walking distance to everything, etc. All my roommates are Colombian and we get maid service and laundry included. I am paying just under $300 per month. There were actually a lot of decent places for about $300 per month with all of the above and meals included 6 days per week, but I went for the nicest place.

The weather here is about the best of the world, daily range of about 64 to 84 degrees most of the year.

I have been taking lots of Spanish and dance lessons. My Spanish is advanced and my dancing is still not-so-good. I unexpectedly have a beautiful, well educated girlfriend here. My life is too busy here, really (example: tomorrow 2 hour Spanish class including exam, 2 hour dance class, meeting with a couple who have invited my girlfriend and I over to their house, going to a cool club later in the evening for some dancing . . . the place with the dancing midget, ha ha). So I am going to drop my Spanish lessons and focus on reading Spanish novels, and memorizing everything I have been taught over the last 6 weeks. I expect to reach some lower rung of fluency in the next couple of months. I am also training for a marathon/race next month.

One thing I learned is that it is pretty hard to make local friends, beyond a very basic relationship, if you don't speak the same language. As a result, my life and type of friends (all locals) in Colombia are totally different than Thailand. (this is the big negative about Thailand, the difficulty of the language and the lack of English speakers)

Thailand is definitely the cheapest of Phils, Thailand, and Colombia and it is safer, too. Colombia is the most expensive and the least safe. But all these places are a lot cheaper than the USA. And transportation is so much easier and more efficient, not having to have a car.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Here is a map of our 2008 travels. You can also see 2007 and 2006. Click on the pins and it will give you date and location. If you zoom in on satellite view, you might even be able to see the RV park!

Audrey & John's Travel Maps

Audrey

Audrey: Three years, no California What is wrong with my state?

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
Audrey: Three years, no California What is wrong with my state?

mP
Does "Northern California" not count? Trinidad, Susanville, and Crescent City ARE in California! LOL! OK, unless you actually click on the "pins" the exact locations of our stops is probably not clear, but you can also zoom in to see.

We spent a month in the Trinidad area in 2008. It was awesome! We had so much fun up there that we never made it further south. Some other year.

Audrey
Old 08-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Does "Northern California" not count? Trinidad, Susanville, and Crescent City ARE in California! LOL! OK, unless you actually click on the "pins" the exact locations of our stops is probably not clear, but you can also zoom in to see.

We spent a month in the Trinidad area in 2008. It was awesome! We had so much fun up there that we never made it further south. Some other year.

Audrey
I see that you regularly stop in Bensten Palm Village. I spent a month and half there last winter. What a wonderful home base for birding, and the state park is fabulous!

I suggest the "circle tour" around Lake Superior. It is a wonderful trip.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I second the Circle Tour suggestion. DW and I did it on our Goldwing. Rossport is one stop that stuck in my mind -- it's all about the railroad which runs right through the town, so be prepared for the noise, in a quaint sort of way. Lots of wildlife, Mackinaw and Sault St Marie at the eastern turn.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

My DW and I are now "semi-retired" (Working 20 -30 hours per week each), and want to travel more like the PT's we read about here. We are Palace Resorts members, and will spend 3 -4 weeks a year at one of these resorts in the future. We are also setting up two+ weeks in Chile in Feb/March of 2010. Next trip after Chile will be our first to Asia. Recommendations are welcome.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #34

One of the keys to being a perpetual traveler is low overhead. Since I don't maintain a house or apartment in any country when I am not there, my overhead is extremely low.

My mail forwarder in a no-income-tax state costs around $150 per year when all expenses are considered ($12.50/month). Every other fixed expense that I have I would have whether I was a PT or not. These expenses are high deductible HSA-eligible health insurance ($130/month), Skype virtual number and ability to call any phone from my Skype account ($5/month), various internet costs for unlimited picture storage and email ($4/month).

I own about 7 boxes of stuff and a bike. When my mom was building a new storage on her property, I just paid for part of it in exchange for lifetime storage rights.

Kramer
Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I unexpectedly have a beautiful, well educated girlfriend here.
kramer,

You need to PM haha about Colombian GFs. He wrote about it here long ago but it may be hard to find.

Seriously, man.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I live in an upscale condo here, my room is huge (180 square feet overlooking a park, with extended cable TV, Wi-Fi), great neighborhood (possibly the best neighborhood I have lived in in my life), walking distance to everything, etc. All my roommates are Colombian and we get maid service and laundry included. I am paying just under $300 per month.
I just noticed this. 180 square feet is huge?? I guess I live in a mansion!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
kramer,

You need to PM haha about Colombian GFs. He wrote about it here long ago but it may be hard to find.

Seriously, man.
I have been in touch a bit with HaHa. I am going with the girlfriend's family tomorrow to the rich uncle's finca (vacation home) in the countryside, located about 30 minutes outside of the city.

Kramer
Old 08-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I have been in touch a bit with HaHa. I am going with the girlfriend's family tomorrow to the rich uncle's finca (vacation home) in the countryside, located about 30 minutes outside of the city.

Kramer
So how did he get rich?
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I see that you regularly stop in Bensten Palm Village. I spent a month and half there last winter. What a wonderful home base for birding, and the state park is fabulous!

So how did we miss you? We were there from late Oct till just before Thanksgiving 2008, and then again for a week-and-half mid March this year.

We will be there again this November! We stop there in late fall because it is the peak of the butterfly season and DH goes crazy with the photography. A lot of famous butterfly gurus and photographers are there for the same reason so he also enjoys the company. Lots of unusual Mexican species seem to appear, blown in by the south winds? All these gurus get excited when something really rare shows up. He'll be out 8 hours a day sometimes chasing butterflies - gosh like a real job! We usually stay at least a month and he is still not ready to leave!

The native landscaping at Bensten Palm Village means a lot of butterflies right at the RV sites, and the State Park has an awesome butterfly garden and 1/2 mile down the road is the NABA International Butterfly Garden. The weather in Nov is very nice - tropical, balmy, but not too hot and not too windy!, and awesome sunsets. And few "winter texans" have arrived, so there are lots of open RV sites!

So - you see why we are repeat customers!!!! LOL!

Audrey

P.S. Thanks for the tip about Lake Superior. There are some other things we want to do in the general area. One of these years!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #40

Just want to say thanks for all those who took the time to update on the life as travellers.

I do have a couple of questions for you all.

1. Do any of you blog where I can follow your adventures?

2. Financially has your travelling cost more or less than you had budgeted?

3. Can you see yourself doing this for years to come or do you expect at some time in the future settling down to suburban life?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote