Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ExFlyBoy's neighbors are going and coming. If they are really gone for good, then this song may explain it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I had to turnaround twice today and return home. First time was when I realized I forgot work badge, second time was when I realized I forgot work computer.

We have a mix of young adults, teenagers, young kids and retired folks along with some SHM and home office people. My DW office out of our home and leaves 2-3x during the day for client meetings, sometimes another 1-2x for personal errands.

By the time I get home, she wants me to do all the driving. So I do the night time errands, she does the day time ones.

But then, occasionally I work from home so I am occasionally running to meet somene for lunch etc.

The neighbor kids have there high school and college friends come by.

I live on a dead-end street though and it's funny 9 out of 10 times I can tell the car that has no right to be on the street (This is excluding the fast driving contract uber and uber eats and amazon prime, pizza and other delivery people).

For the most part I can predict the traffic movement on my dead end street and the unpredictable s are usually not supposed to be there.

I've had multiple people comment oh wow I've lived in this city for years and never realized that was a street. GOOD, lets keep it that way.

EDIT TO ADD A Pet Peeve... When that Pokemon Go game was all the craze, I had literal zombies walking down my street, supposedly collecting "highly sought pokemons'. I even had a group of french teenagers wandering down the road with there eyes honed on the phone camera through the lens.

They were friendly and asked if I wanted to join the "hunt". I respectfully declined but they were jumping for joy so they must have found a good pokemon.
It's a public road correct , even a one way is open to the public I don't know that they don't have a "right" to be on the street.Or that they are not supposed to be there.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Both my wife and I do not like to drive, so we run errands about twice a week.

When we drive up to the high-country home in the boondocks, we often park the car for a week or two, and only start it up to drive back to the main home.
Must be an Arizona out in the boonies thing.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #24

Had a place like that nearby, a constant stream of high schoolers. Turned out to be the booze party house, as supported by mom. Loud music, bottles strewn everywhere. Eventually the mom got hauled into court, followed by them moving soon after, much to the relief of the community. I feel sorry for their new neighborhood.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I drive a lot and spend a lot of money on gas. I'm in the back country to my ranch fishing, hiking, hunting and just being in the outdoors. I drive and use gas because I can and at one time in my life I was to frugal to spend any extra on gas if at all costs. Now I just go fill it up and never even blink an eye. LOL
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My 75 year old divorcee neighbor just bought herself a cherry red Corvette. She's still working several days per week (perhaps to fund Corvette payments). She probably makes 8-10 different trips per day. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner account for 3 of those (fast food is what returns in those mostly white paper bags around meal time I presume).

Picking up grandkids might be a time or two. Meeting with friends might be another trip or two. She shops with such vigor that I imagine that might account for another trip or three each day. Then there are all the errands.

We probably use the car the least of anyone we know. Our car might leave the driveway 3-5 times each week with 1-2 being shopping, a social outing, and a drop kids off at school or pick them up outing.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #27

I think those who are organized enough to combine their errands into the minimum number of trips have always been in the minority. Most of us are scatterbrained less organized than that.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It's funny, but since retiring, I don't notice the neighbors and their habits any more than I ever did.

But I remember my retired Dad, who lived much closer to his neighbors than I do, critiquing their daily activities in great detail. Then, due to late 1970's inflation eating his pension, he went back to work. The neighbor-noticing ceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Truly a sign of retirement: Counting how many times the neighbors drive down the road.

https://goo.gl/images/Vk1QP3
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
Must be an Arizona out in the boonies thing.
What I observe when traveling is that people in big cities tend to go out more often than people in the suburb or in the boonies. And that is in the US as well as in places like Europe, although in big cities they often just pile out and crowd the street sidewalks and do not drive. Some smaller towns just look deserted because people stay inside.

It does make sense that people choose their domicile according to their personality, and their activity reflects that too.

PS. We do get out of the house everyday, but it's to do a walk, up to 3 times a day.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I love to drive, but my driving is limited mainly taking the wife to the doctor and physical therapy. Wal-Mart is 1 mile, and I use it as my drive in market visiting almost daily. Other than church, we only go out to eat 1x per week.

We seldom leave town either--except for doctor visits.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a OCD to me. Sounds like a OCD to me.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #32

Just when I thought this forum was running out of topics.......
Old 06-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
The sister thread, entitled Where is everyone coming from?, was initiated by someone living on the other side of town.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cusetownusa View Post
Do you live across the street from me? lol

With Amazon Prime i feel like we are getting packages all the time. We get almost everything from Amazon except for perishable food...with a family of 4 it seems like we are in constant need for something. The good thing is it saves us a ton of time and mileage on our cars by not needing to go to stores anymore.
LOL Very funny. I was going to say the same thing but with my wife and all the things she buys online.
JakeinChina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We have an unstated rule that we can only go out once per day in the car. It’s 10-12 miles to the nearest shopping, so driving for errands is long.

If we have an appointment, we arrange errands afterwards and the occasional lunch out. We almost never go out at night.

I love the days we don’t drive at all!

Parks, etc. are close and we walk or bicycle.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Never
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
The sister thread, entitled Where is everyone coming from?, was initiated by someone living on the other side of town.
Just shows that Buckaroo Banzai was among the greatest philosophers of all time
Quote:
No matter where you go, there you are
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

(Adding "watching neighbors coming and going" to my "things NOT to do in retirement" list )
Old 06-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
It's a public road correct , even a one way is open to the public I don't know that they don't have a "right" to be on the street.Or that they are not supposed to be there.

Well when I say "supposed to be" I mean people who are driving on the street for a particular purpose.

A lot of the people I feel "aren't supposed to" be are simply just lost.

I certainly don't live in nor pay for a full time security gated community. Maybe someday. So yes its all public roads and anyone has the right (unless they are illegally in the country?)
But my point is, when you live in a secluded area or dead end street it becomes obvious those who are "Lost on the road" and those who are coming down the street to their final destination.

We have a highly visible "NO OUTLET" sign, but that doesn't register with people, or else there are people who simply like to drive from dead-end street to dead-end street?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
and those who are coming down the street to their final destination.
Buried or cremated?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

And always too soon? Reminds me of Madeline Kahn in "Blazing Saddles."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
ExFlyBoy's neighbors are going and coming.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote