Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Housing prices have went up quickly the past 2 years.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Was in similar situation as the OP
Old 03-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Was in similar situation as the OP

We escaped the upper Midwest (Minneapolis HCOL) last year and ended up on the Middle Peninsula of Virginia where we ERed in January. While not known as a retirement haven we are starting to appreciate that it is fairly retirement friendly. As others have noted, no one location is likely to be perfect. So far we are thinking the area hits most of our wants/needs which sounded similar to those stated by the OP. 1) State income, county personal property and RE taxes are < half of what we had in MN. No tax on SS income and first 12k of pension income. 2) Winter was very mild being near the Chesapeake with only a handful of days staying below freezing. Last summer was more humid than ideal for me typically with highs in the 90ís - reason to head a few hours west to the mountains with the camper. So far our experience is that 60% of the year is Fall/Spring like weather which we find ideal. 3) one hour drive to several regional airports and Amtrack stations. 4) Decent size local hospital nearby with several large trauma hospitals 40 minutes away. 5) lots of local eateries, a few brew pubs and bushels of local oysters, crabs, seafood to be had. 6) wide price points on housing from 150k into the millions for an executive estate on the Bay/River. 300k will get you a newer house in a nice community, 500k (and up) will get you decent house with deep water dock on the River/Bay. 230k will get you a condo with deep water dock slip. 7) low crime, nice people, outdoor activities. 8) one the downside, poor walkability and bicycling unless you live in town.
Canoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:47 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

We are not ER's but I did stop working last Sept at age 62 and hubby is still working- he will be 65 this year and will try to hang in there until next spring, when we will be putting our house up for sale. It is in a rural area of NY with a lot of land and secluded and isolated and not good to age in as we have no friends or family in the immediate area.

Our only child lives in New Hampshire. We always vacationed there and in Vermont- our favorite. I would have loved to retire there but they tax your SS and retirement income. So- we figured it would be New Hampshire. At least we have a connection there- our son, of course, and plus we are familiar with it. We like the seasons, though not winter as much, but we can deal with it if someone else does the shoveling.

Our dilemma is we so far have not seen much available there - like a 55+ community with activities and so on. And other things we see the homes are crappy or the nice ones are too expensive.

We are considering a CCRC- have our financial planner looking into that possibility.

Worse comes to worse, we might have to look to move elsewhere. We thought of Reno, Nevada, or Lake Las Vegas in Henderson, but don't want to be so far away from our son. Plus, not crazy about severe heat or desert. I have a thing about water.

I really love New England. But not easy to find the right place for us. We love our house, but we need to get a new life- and soon! We just hope the house even sells! If it doesn't it will be a sad day. We love the house, but it will become our tomb.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clearly different people have different tolerance for heat vs cold. I absolutely hate being cold, and would never choose to live in a cold climate again. To me, Southern CA with its Mediterranean climate is a bit too chilly. Winters can have stretches of weeks where the temperature isnít above 65, and with the Pacific breezes, it feels really cold. And the ocean never gets much warmer than 68. Beautiful to look at, but not fun to swim in and there arenít many days that itís comfortable to be on the beach in a swimsuit.

DH and I would both prefer somewhere warmer, where we can wear swimsuits or shorts most or all of the year, and where we can dive or snorkel or swim in the ocean comfortably all year. Unfortunately places that offer this also have hurricanes.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:30 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Clearly different people have different tolerance for heat vs cold. I absolutely hate being cold, and would never choose to live in a cold climate again. To me, Southern CA with its Mediterranean climate is a bit too chilly. Winters can have stretches of weeks where the temperature isnít above 65, and with the Pacific breezes, it feels really cold. And the ocean never gets much warmer than 68. Beautiful to look at, but not fun to swim in and there arenít many days that itís comfortable to be on the beach in a swimsuit.

DH and I would both prefer somewhere warmer, where we can wear swimsuits or shorts most or all of the year, and where we can dive or snorkel or swim in the ocean comfortably all year. Unfortunately places that offer this also have hurricanes.

True. To me, that sounds perfect! I love 50-70 degree temps. When in New Hampshire or Vermont in the summer, I take my floaty with me and go into the ice cold mountain lakes, my body partially submerged with the sun beating down on me and surrounded by awesome scenery. Me and the ducks just love it!

If it gets over 75 degrees, I start feeling really hot. If it get humid- forget about it!
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
retirement home, retirement location, walkability