Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2021, 05:56 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best thing we ever did after retirement was sell our house, put what we wanted to keep in storage, and traveled for seven months, then did a furnished apt for another three. Did not miss the house or the possession.

I would probably still be traveling if DW had not put her foot down!

We decided to stay in the area that we lived in prior to retirement. But we did decide where we might and might not buy a vacation home. Plus, we changed our mind on the type of accommodation that we wanted to buy.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pick the one that is best for you to age in in terms of the house itself and the area and closeness to your family. It sounds to me it should be the city one. As you age you donít want a house that needs a lot of work.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
City House/Country House
Old 06-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

City House/Country House

I'm in California. I have a City House that looks right at the Golden Gate Bridge and a Country House in the wine country. I love the contrast going from one to the other. I bought the Country place as an escape from the high-tech world I worked in. During the recent Covid year it became an even more important get-away.

What you have, is in my view, an idyllic situation that most people can only dream about. I'd say enjoy your lucky circumstances. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to have two homes but in this new world we all live in now, don't be too quick to throw away what may prove to be way more valuable to you than you think.

When I was a kid my friend's family built a bomb shelter and we used to play in it. You and I have the 21st Century equivalent of a bomb shelter, just for a different danger. Keep it.
boont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:18 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Steady - We are in very similar places. I plan to retire within 18 months. 3 years ago we bought a house in a rural area about 100 miles outside NYC that we have been vacationing to for 40 years. We also have a house on Long Island. We plan to sell LI and move to the country place within 18 months. We love the country life, especially when contrasted with LI which is now so crowded and expensive (probably among the highest RE taxes in the nation). I have some doubts about leaving LI - it's where I grew up and have family and friends. The house on LI is nicer and requires little maintenance compared to the country place. But the relaxed life in the country is just so appealing at this stage, and we are just over 2 hours drive away, so visiting is not a big deal. I am not interested in maintaining two homes either emotionally or financially.
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by steady saver View Post
One [home] on 30 rural acres about 25 min from the closet small city.
I didn't read all the responses in this thread, so someone may already have mentioned this, but if it were me, I would be concerned about living full time in a rural home that would require nearly a full hour for an ambulance round trip in case of emergency (25 min to house, 25 min to nearest hospital). IMHO, this is probably the biggest disadvantage of rural living for elderly folks. I say this not knowing your current age, but knowing that you will be elderly and at high risk for sudden medical emergencies at some point.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont View Post
I'm in California. I have a City House that looks right at the Golden Gate Bridge and a Country House in the wine country. I love the contrast going from one to the other. I bought the Country place as an escape from the high-tech world I worked in. During the recent Covid year it became an even more important get-away.

What you have, is in my view, an idyllic situation that most people can only dream about. I'd say enjoy your lucky circumstances. Yes, it's a bit of a pain to have two homes but in this new world we all live in now, don't be too quick to throw away what may prove to be way more valuable to you than you think.

When I was a kid my friend's family built a bomb shelter and we used to play in it. You and I have the 21st Century equivalent of a bomb shelter, just for a different danger. Keep it.
For me growing up in Oklahoma it was a tornado shelter...

Yes, I'm super grateful for the options and giving up either will be painful. But we're both in agreement that the more we have to manage, the more stressful our lives are. We are going for simplicity.
steady saver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosh View Post
Steady - We are in very similar places. I plan to retire within 18 months. 3 years ago we bought a house in a rural area about 100 miles outside NYC that we have been vacationing to for 40 years. We also have a house on Long Island. We plan to sell LI and move to the country place within 18 months. We love the country life, especially when contrasted with LI which is now so crowded and expensive (probably among the highest RE taxes in the nation). I have some doubts about leaving LI - it's where I grew up and have family and friends. The house on LI is nicer and requires little maintenance compared to the country place. But the relaxed life in the country is just so appealing at this stage, and we are just over 2 hours drive away, so visiting is not a big deal. I am not interested in maintaining two homes either emotionally or financially.
Sounds like we are, indeed, in very similar places.
Our home in the city is decidedly nicer than our house in the country. That said, the guest cottage is being renovated and it'll be super cute. The main house is something that we'd likely do a good enough fix up on ("lipstick on a pig" as my friend used to say), at least for a while. We also have a huge, huge room over the detached garage that is completely finished off (currently housing "stuff" and the brain healthy ping pong table

Our country house is closer to our sons - just an hour and a half as opposed to the city house which is a good 3 hours from them...
Old 06-16-2021, 05:28 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I didn't read all the responses in this thread, so someone may already have mentioned this, but if it were me, I would be concerned about living full time in a rural home that would require nearly a full hour for an ambulance round trip in case of emergency (25 min to house, 25 min to nearest hospital). IMHO, this is probably the biggest disadvantage of rural living for elderly folks. I say this not knowing your current age, but knowing that you will be elderly and at high risk for sudden medical emergencies at some point.
Sojourner, I hear you and agree. In the city I am a 5 minute drive from world class medical care. In the country the closest hospital isn't one I'd really want to have to rely on. That said...

We are both 58. No current significant medical issues. We're clear that we wouldn't view the country home as our forever house. It would likely be more transitional as we enjoyed it and eventually settle on a place that is closer to a nice sized city and all it has to offer, and preferably near water (a lake). While I am not at all a fan of boating, DH has had a lifelong love affair with wooden boats. So there's that.

As a side note, whenever I get on Next Door for our city home, I think I am crazy to even consider retiring there. The crime has gotten so bad there. And yet there is so much to love about our city.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #49
Confused about dryer sheets

We are looking to do some addition/renovation to the country house. First thing is to put a 2nd story over the 2 car detached garage for a workout room and storage. You are fortunate enough to already have that! Then some work on the main house will be on the menu, but that can wait a year or two. It's hard to find a contractor though. The area is experiencing a real estate boom since the pandemic hit. Lots of people from the city are either moving there permanently, or buying up 2nd homes. Virtually anything will sell in a matter of weeks. And with that comes a lot of remodeling, making it difficult to even get a call back from contractors.
Whoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:49 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosh View Post
We are looking to do some addition/renovation to the country house. First thing is to put a 2nd story over the 2 car detached garage for a workout room and storage. You are fortunate enough to already have that! Then some work on the main house will be on the menu, but that can wait a year or two. It's hard to find a contractor though. The area is experiencing a real estate boom since the pandemic hit. Lots of people from the city are either moving there permanently, or buying up 2nd homes. Virtually anything will sell in a matter of weeks. And with that comes a lot of remodeling, making it difficult to even get a call back from contractors.
Yes, things are going fast on the rural market around here.

We do feel fortunate to have the room over the garage...this big garage next to the house isn't what I would've done but I'm grateful for it. I miss the gym and we have one corner in that room with a few weights and a yoga mat but I really miss the bike (for my knee) so we're planning to get a bike and some more equipment for DH. Also have the ping pong table in there (which, honestly, has turned out to be so fun. I highly recommend ping pong!). One big corner has DH's art supplies, another currently has his beekeeping equipment but we're going to move that. All that to say, while the city home is "nicer" we have more room here and lots of potential as they say!
Old 06-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can certainly identify with not wanting to become a slave to one's possessions. I have more cars than a "normal" person would have, but I like each for specific reasons.

We went from a house close to the city, to an old house and farm in the country, and like you, we didn't enjoy having so much time tied up in constant maintenance and chores. So now we live in what we feel is the best of both worlds where we have privacy in a quiet area with lots of trees, but very close to a town that has all amenities and very close to an excellent hospital. It does take time to find everything you want in one house in one location and within an hour of grand kids.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote