Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another way of looking at it is that places with a very different political climate need you the most, so you can provide some balance.
No, because we do not want to live in a state that has poor healthcare, infrastructure and services. These are usually directly related to their "Extreme" political leanings. If you spend little on these, you get little in return.

Saying that, we currently live in a state that does not completely align with our political preferences, however, we like living there, as they are sensible when it comes to those items mentioned above, all the other stuff is noise and posturing and we do not give a crap about that.

Some folks think that lowest taxes means the ideal, however like everything else you get what you pay for. Just look at the poorest states, we do not want to live in any of those. In order to provide residents with a decent standard of living the state/county/parish has to spend money. The less they spend (receive in taxes) the less services etc. their residents get. Some counties/parishes are better than others, again we do not want to live a poor county either, we are fortunate though, like others in this forum we do not have to. Money buys you choices, when planning for ER we considered that.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
"Try before you buy".

I am currently going place to place using Airbnb rentals for 2 to 3 months at a time.

For example, I was thinking about Waikiki in Hawaii so I rented a place for several months and discovered the negatives: Hot and humid compared to California, high cost of living, too many tourists (natives are nice), island too small, etc

You really don't know what your retirement will be like at another location until you actually live there long term...and not during a short 2 week vacation.

Best of all, there is no commitment. Retiring to a new location and then finding out it is not working out can be a disaster. Every time I go to another place, I get energized in discovering what I would be like to retire. You really need 2 months or more of experience to compare the different locations.

I like the idea, in theory anyway. I wonder if 2-3 months is really even long enough to decide what it will be like long-term.

How many places have you tried so far? Did you ever settle on one?
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:51 AM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habelsgtb View Post
Iím surprised no one has mentioned a criteria of political leanings. For me I if we moved from our current location, I would want a state or country that agrees with my political views.

I already live in a state with polar opposite political leanings. Iím used to it. So Iím not concerned about political leanings as being a criteria for a relocation spot. Besides, being around folks with opposite political leanings provides entertainment. Life would be boring if everyone around you is the same as you.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlygirl View Post
Well, I have lived in both Logan Utah and St. George Utah so I will give you my perspectives on both. 🙂
Logan is a beautiful area with lots of friendly people and a state University. However it is not warm in the winter; there can also be inversions that keep stagnant air in the valley, because it's not a windy place. It is gorgeous in the summer and has a beautiful fall. But if you don't like cold winters and snow it is out.

I currently live in St. George Utah and love it. So don't come here; it's full. 😉 Haha. Lots of sunny days and blue sky, red rocks and the desert. Hot in the summer but cools down at night. It is a dry heat of course. You have to like the desert to live in St George. Winter's can have some chilly temps but it snows only every few years and melts off quickly. Lots of outdoor activities and a smaller state University here as well. As an example of the difference between St. George and Logan temps is that it was 62 degrees yesterday in St. George but the high in Logan was 26. Brrr! If I were relocating though, I would honestly consider Mesquite Nevada. It used be a nondescript little town but now developers have planted a lot of Palm trees and really dressed it up. 😊 Only 40 minutes from St. George but has no state income tax! I'd consider moving there myself but have family here in town and rental property to take care of. St. George is only an hour and a half from Las Vegas and Mesquite is about an hour. There is a shuttle service that goes to the Las Vegas airport, and when you fly you can get good flights out of Las Vegas.
As others have said, if I were going to relocate I would rent a year first. It might be a pain but could save you from selling again in a short time.
The same here and this is where you see it's different for each person.

Love St George but on many extended snowbird trips the sprawl and growth has made it less charming. If we bought a place it would probably be in Hurricane. 15 years ago we thought Ivins was perfect,(hence my username) but due to overcrowding it's not for us.

Went to college in Logan it would be number two on my list..a wonderful friendly town.

Mesquite IMO is a town full of new housing that has no soul. I have no desire to ever live there.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #145
Full time employment: Posting here.

City-data is good for general data. Crime, income, interactive data map... Pretty accurate for our neighborhood and area...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #146
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
Definitely recommend extended test drives.
I agree...but actually to me, that's basically the point already. As in, extended test drives is basically living somewhere else for a time period. No reason when I make the "selection" that it has to be a long term commitment. For me I'll take a series of extended test drives and when it's all said and done, well, that was my life, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Another resource is City Data forum. Not a quiz for you to take but a discussion forum about communities.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/
Ha shout out to CD! I've been a frequent poster there for, wow, 13 years! Brand new to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I would be interested in why you want to relocate.

I want to relocate because I just want to try living in another place. Been in the same state my whole life. Lots of great friends here but no friends we don't want I can't leave without. I worry that it's a bit of the grass is always greener mentality but I want to see. Can always come back. Always I figure we will have about 10 years from when the kids leave the house until they start to settle down somewhere. Can always move where they are then but for 10-15 years we can explore the world.
This resonates with me. I just want to live everywhere lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Expat View Post
As one of the few here who actually retired overseas I can speak from experience that it is a real possibility and a great experience. My area was once promoted highly by some of those magazines folks mentioned, although they had nothing to do with my choosing it. I know they promoted it because of financial incentives they were given by local developers.

Much of the promises of those articles were total fiction. But with just a little research the info is there.
Yeah I feel like in this day and age, there is information out there about everything. And you get to sift through it...there's plenty of unbiased (or at least non-sponsored) sources of information from folks who just enjoy sharing their experiences. Not paid advertisers like international living, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
"Try before you buy".

I am currently going place to place using Airbnb rentals for 2 to 3 months at a time.

For example, I was thinking about Waikiki in Hawaii so I rented a place for several months and discovered the negatives: Hot and humid compared to California, high cost of living, too many tourists (natives are nice), island too small, etc

You really don't know what your retirement will be like at another location until you actually live there long term...and not during a short 2 week vacation.

Best of all, there is no commitment. Retiring to a new location and then finding out it is not working out can be a disaster. Every time I go to another place, I get energized in discovering what I would be like to retire. You really need 2 months or more of experience to compare the different locations.
I love it. I'm looking forward to being you someday!
projectmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
I like the idea, in theory anyway. I wonder if 2-3 months is really even long enough to decide what it will be like long-term.

How many places have you tried so far? Did you ever settle on one?
Hawaii, San Diego, LA, Las Vegas, Miami, Vancover/Seattle, London.

All of the above have issues. I am leaning toward Santa Cruz/Monterey area because of the weather, the beach, less people, and it is near my home and family in the SF bay area.

In the 1970's I was in the Army and stationed near NYC and I loved NYC for the first year. After the third year I wanted to return to California. You are right that 2 to 3 months may not be long enough so I am a little bit more cautious.

Every time I visit a new location, I become energized by exploring the new area and meeting new people. If I do settle on Santa Cruz near the beach or stay home in the SF Bay area, I will continue to explore the world with Airbnb 1 or 2 months at a time as part of my retirement.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #148
Dryer sheet wannabe

Santa Cruz? Expensive, crowded, growing homeless population, poorly run city and did I mention expensive? Beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery- - everybody wants to live here, rich and the homeless. We're trying to move out.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #149
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a major proponent of retiring overseas. In most cases it is a lower cost of living and a much healthier lifestyle. That is not to say I won’t return to live in the USA at some point but it has been a great experience and a wonderful time so far.
Retired Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Is Punta del Este really a Miami Beach south?
Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

We are very frequent travelers to Hawaii ... and our trips have gotten longer and longer as we approached retirement. Currently actively looking at homes on Oahu and Mauii. North shore of Oahu is my wifeís preference and Mauii is mine ... probably end up on north shore.

Four items at the top of our ďchecklistĒ when considering where to retire were (1) easy access to health care (2) tax friendly to retirees (3) outdoor and active lifestyle and (4) easy access to air travel.

The health care system we have now also has 20 offices scattered across the islands so we wonít need to change AND Hawaii doesnít tax our public pensions and in a few years wonít tax our social security either. We currently live in a very high cost/tax state so will actually be better off financially when we relocate.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
We are very frequent travelers to Hawaii ... and our trips have gotten longer and longer as we approached retirement. Currently actively looking at homes on Oahu and Mauii. North shore of Oahu is my wife’s preference and Mauii is mine ... probably end up on north shore.
We would move there in a heartbeat if home prices were more realistic. ~$800k for under 1000 sqft on the North Shore, just seems ridiculous. We would consider spending up to $1m but I cannot find anything that is not old and in need of a lot of TLC. We do like being near the beach too, I suppose that explains the prices.

Like you I prefer Oahu for the healthcare. One would need to fly there from the The other islands in case of a serious emergency.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Kelor,
I've vacationed in Tuscon in the winter multiple times, and I really like the area, and the size of that community.
Lots of hiking and biking areas.
I still want a warmer winter climate (I'm from MN too.)
I also think the ocean is wonderful. I'm going to deal with the crowds of people in SWFL, and see how it goes.
You might want to checkout Palm Springs, CA too. A nice area, and warmer than Tucson. Not sure about hockey.
Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Though not yet retired, our goal is to winter somewhere, so we built criteria that looked like this:

Warm - This rules out almost everywhere since we are only concerned about Jan-March temperatures. We also, for the moment, only want to look in the states.
College or University nearby - A great way to take in a play, see a good bar band, or watch a game.
Water - We disagree on this one. I think a great golf course pool suffices. My wife would like to see a big body of water.
Hockey - Yes. We're from Minnesota
Seasonal Golf Memberships OR excellent social golf program - I'm already a member of a course up here. I don't want to be a member of two courses, but I do want the socialization that membership provides.
Hiking and Biking (The hiking one really hurts southern Florida's intrigue for me)
Not super crowded - I have friends in Ft Myers that never venture from their communities because of the insane traffic.
Price - Though not a huge concern, it's still on the list.

I'm missing a bunch, as it's not in front of me, but with WARM and not crowded being really important to the list, we narrowed it down to about 10 cities. This year, we have an extended trip to Tucson. It matched every criteria except water. Though it's a hair colder than Phoenix, it bordered on acceptable. They even have hockey (going to 4 games in March)!

The point of my post is that Tucson is barely listed in any of those "where to retire" articles. The only reason why I even looked at the city was because it popped up on my hockey criteria.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:20 PM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
No, because we do not want to live in a state that has poor healthcare, infrastructure and services. These are usually directly related to their "Extreme" political leanings. If you spend little on these, you get little in return.

Saying that, we currently live in a state that does not completely align with our political preferences, however, we like living there, as they are sensible when it comes to those items mentioned above, all the other stuff is noise and posturing and we do not give a crap about that.

Some folks think that lowest taxes means the ideal, however like everything else you get what you pay for. Just look at the poorest states, we do not want to live in any of those. In order to provide residents with a decent standard of living the state/county/parish has to spend money. The less they spend (receive in taxes) the less services etc. their residents get. Some counties/parishes are better than others, again we do not want to live a poor county either, we are fortunate though, like others in this forum we do not have to. Money buys you choices, when planning for ER we considered that.
We had someone from Alaska introduce themselves on NextDoor. Someone welcomed him to the state of too many taxes. He replied that he welcomed them as he came from a state without any infrastructure ie. sidewalks, libraries, etc. and that was worse in his opinion than taxes.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2BRetd View Post
We had someone from Alaska introduce themselves on NextDoor. Someone welcomed him to the state of too many taxes. He replied that he welcomed them as he came from a state without any infrastructure ie. sidewalks, libraries, etc. and that was worse in his opinion than taxes.
I must admit, I full agree. You get what you pay for.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:04 AM   #156

We are slowly getting our list narrowed down. We cannot move yet, as we have one parent still alive and needing help. She is 87.

But, annually we visit at least two prospective retirement places. Our key attributes (in order) are:
  • Warmer weather (warmer than Indiana), but hopefully still "seasons"
  • Nearness to good health care/hospitals
  • Low crime
  • Reasonable cost of living (compared to Indiana...but we can handle maybe 10-15% higher)
  • Not so close to ocean that hurricanes are a worry
  • Medium sized city (no megacities, and no tiny towns)
  • Sufficient "amenities"...loosely defined as supporting our hobbies and social life
  • Fairly close to a larger city with airports/sports/etc.

A few areas in the running are:
1) Colorado Springs
2) Suburbs of Raleigh NC (many cities around there, such as Apex, Durham, etc.)
3) Greenville SC

We are open to more suggestions!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:08 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
We are slowly getting our list narrowed down. We cannot move yet, as we have one parent still alive and needing help. She is 87.

But, annually we visit at least two prospective retirement places. Our key attributes (in order) are:
  • Warmer weather (warmer than Indiana), but hopefully still "seasons"
  • Nearness to good health care/hospitals
  • Low crime
  • Reasonable cost of living (compared to Indiana...but we can handle maybe 10-15% higher)
  • Not so close to ocean that hurricanes are a worry
  • Medium sized city (no megacities, and no tiny towns)
  • Sufficient "amenities"...loosely defined as supporting our hobbies and social life
  • Fairly close to a larger city with airports/sports/etc.

A few areas in the running are:
1) Colorado Springs
2) Suburbs of Raleigh NC (many cities around there, such as Apex, Durham, etc.)
3) Greenville SC

We are open to more suggestions!
When you are checking out the Raleigh area be sure to look where I live--Chapel Hill. It is the town where the University of North Carolina is and in non pandemic times has great sports and arts. It ticks most all of your list--it is not a large city but it is close to larger cities and because of the University has amenities of larger cites and is close to the airport and has a great medical center. It is very popular with retirees. There are several great Continuing Care Communities in the area for when you need that--we have our names on the waiting list at Galloway Ridge. PM me with any Qs.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asabino View Post
Santa Cruz? Expensive, crowded, growing homeless population, poorly run city and did I mention expensive? Beautiful beaches and wonderful scenery- - everybody wants to live here, rich and the homeless. We're trying to move out.

True. However, I am a surfer even though I am in my late 60's since I am in great physical shape. A surfer dude tend to overlook the negatives because hanging 10 on a good wave makes all your trouble disappear. It is either Hawaii or Santa Cruz, CA. There are some places outside Santa Cruz city limits that appeals to me.
vchan2177 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
move, relocate, relocating