Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Where would you like to go?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Where would you like to go?

Travelers and soon to be travelers:

When you retire and have the time and funds where do you plan on traveling to?

Especially interested in international locations and what makes them appealing to you.

GTM
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Where would you like to go?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are not hard to please. If money and time were
no object, most anywhere with warm temps and big water would do. Lots of places right here in the USA
would do just fine. For example, I would love to start
at Brownsville, Texas and work my way to Key West, then maybe head north on the Intercoastal, just meandering.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:39 PM   #3

I just came back from the Bay Islands of Honduras. Although like Cutthroat, I always like to explore somewhere new, I will be very tempted to go back there. Great scuba diving, great weather, laid back atmosphere, and extremely affordable food and lodging. You just have to get there.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Belize was amazing. I love any place with Mayan ruins! After seeing Tikal in Guatemala, the Pyramids of Giza weren't so impressive. Giza is big, but not as intricate.

I went to Cyprus this year, and that was gorgeous if you like sun and water sports. Lots of history. The Andes Mountains in South American are wonderful no matter what country you are in (Venezuela for me). This year I'm headed to Germany, but I have to admit I haven't seen enough of the US yet.

Alaska and the Rockies are high on my list.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Tops on my list right now: cruising the coast and fjords of Norway and the coast of South America.

But I'm happy to stay in the US, too. Niagara Falls, Boundary Waters canoe area in the upper midwest, return to Lake Powell and go houseboating again, although it's so pricy. The hiking trails around our new house in Sedona will keep us busy for awhile, but we'll probably take some sort of long trip later this year.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Sheryl,

I went to the Bay Islands also. Spent a week on Guanja. At a resort called Posada Del Sol. Fantastic Place! Good Bonefishing and Excellent Snorkeling!

Which Bay Island were you on?
I went to Utila. I really loved it. Got my Advanced Open Water diving cert. It's very "funky" not at all touristy. Many many young backpacker divers and students, at 44 I was twice the age of most, but who cares?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #7

Another thing on my "must do" list is a walking trip in Great Britain or Scotland - I've heard the footpath system is very good and you can walk from town to town... anyone done this?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We find so many cool places to drive to in No Cal that we dont have to go far to find a really interesting or fun place to go to.

Nicest places I've ever been were Greece and Cancun/Cozumel before they became overrun with malls and hotels (~15 years ago).

Cant bring back the simple paradise of the yucatan, but I hope Greece is still the tourist friendly, gorgeous place it was when I spent a month there 14 years ago.

Theres one other place I'd like to go. Everyone my whole life has been telling me I'm going to get there. I forget where it is, but it involves a handbasket...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:02 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am glad to hear that Greece is a neat place to visit. My daughters and I will be spending about 3 weeks there this summer. Really looking forward to it.

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 04:12 AM   #10

Because of James Michener's endorsement, I would like to get to Bora Bora. He called it the best place in the world, and for a guy of his traveling rep to say that, it must be nice. Of course, he said it in the 40s, when he was traveling for the U. S. Navy. He was sent there because there were some Navy guys there, who did not want to return to the U.S. It seems the Polynesian girls were enticing them!

When I was working, I had an excuse for not going. But, now, I should buy the tickets...

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

My family's from Croatia and hubby and I were there last fall to visit. Dubrovnik is just gorgeous...especially the old city with the historic wall.

We also visited Scotland which came in at a close second to Dubrovnik.

Old 03-28-2005, 10:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Because of James Michener's endorsement, I would like to get to Bora Bora. He called it the best place in the world, and for a guy of his traveling rep to say that, it must be nice. Of course, he said it in the 40s, when he was traveling for the U. S. Navy. He was sent there because there were some Navy guys there, who did not want to return to the U.S. It seems the Polynesian girls were enticing them!

When I was working, I had an excuse for not going. But, now, I should buy the tickets...
Yep, no excuse now.. We went there last year, and all over the area, Moorea, the Marquesas and other outer islands. Also spent 4 days in Tahiti as we never stopped there on previous trips and wanted to see the place. My wife loved Bora Bora, the snorkeling is fabulous.

In addition to the French South Pacific Islands, we liked Fiji and our favorite place is Rarotonga other Cook Islands. Been there twice in the last three years. Hope to go and live there a while after we retire.

Now for one of my dream things/places, after retirement I would like to live for a while, maybbe a year, on a canal boat in England. I rented them once when I was a student and once when I worked in LOndon and loved those trips so much I am certain I will do so again. The only question is whether it will be a couple week rental or a year+ address. I could easily do it but my wife says as our first grandchild is due next month that we will not stay too far away from the kids for too long.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #13

Just to revive this thread - I'm looking forward to Australia/New Zealand someday and South America - Chile and the hike to the Machuu Pichuu (sp?) - Andean trail. Western Canada also for skiing and mountain hiking. Also want to do the Carribbean someday. Greece and Istanbul, Turkey are also goals---also visiting the Ephysus ruins.

Most interesting places I've been are Finland, Greenland, Algeria, Albania and Moldova - all for different reasons. Places I liked a lot were Italy (except Naples), Alsace, France, Slovenia and Deutschland - especially where I lived - Norway was nice as well.

Bridget

Old 04-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #14

In January you hope you don't get phased in (blowing storm). I actually went there for work - we were doing a site survey for a satellite dish - I was fortunate in that I was able to actually get away from the military base and go 'up the hill' to where all the dishes were. While there, some of the local help (Danes) invited me to the party they were going to have when they got their first two minutes of sun (Jan 21st?) - I said no, thanks, I'll celebrate vicariously back home.

This was close to 20 years ago - however, it is still memorable as we did get phased in, got locked down in the VOQ for 3 days and had to hurry the site survey in 1 day - plane came in on Friday to take us back to US. I also remember how *dry* the air was. The snow crunched something fierce under your feet and you had to practice shallow breathing for fear of bursting anything in your respiratory system. I then knew why parka hoods are longer than your head profile - to allow you to warm the air a bit before inhaling.

What's even more ironic is the next week I went to Hawaii for another site survey and lo and behold I was there for less than 24 hours---my secretary didn't take very good care of me on those two business trips :-)

Bridget
Old 04-15-2005, 06:25 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubby and I are heading to Alaska (Denali) late this summer and next spring it's either Glacier Nat'l Park or Zion/Bryce Nat'l Parks in Utah. And we'd love to get back to Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine soon. Maybe next fall.

International travel will be Ireland (for me)/Germany (for him). Thailand and New Zealand are also tops on our list.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 03:04 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

New Zealand is great. I did a 10 day hiking trip there. Lots of different climate types in a small area. I also hiked in Scotland Highlands. And off to Tuscany at the end of May. It's one of the reasons I ER'd - so I could go on hiking (really walking - no camping - go with a group, so they take care of driving, stay at Inns) while I am able.

Dreams - Machu Picchu and Egypt. And more in Scotland (north this time).
lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

lb

Could I inquire more about your 10 day hike in New Zealand?? Sounds like something we'd be very, very interested in.

Thanks
kz
Old 04-20-2005, 03:36 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

I went with the company Active New Zealand. (website activenewzealand.com). I ended up on a tour with two couples, so it was great with such a small group - and two guides. I looked at their website and they seem to have changed the tours a bit. I went on the Manuka, which is fairly laid back. I really enjoyed the Milford Track, tho it is a bit of a push. We met up one night with a Rimu group, and they were all A-type personalities, wanting to push, brag about how fast they biked, rowed, etc, whereas I am definitely someone who likes to enjoy my surroundings. I do recommend the company. I'm hoping they put together a "manuka" type for Machu Picchu!

Let me know if you want more details or info. Be glad to help out.
lb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #19

Manuka? Milford track? Rimu Group? Machu Picchu?
What the hell are you talking about?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Machu Picchu would be wonderful!! I'll keep you in mind when we plan that vacation. Thanks!