Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2019, 03:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It’s finally just the two of us after a very hectic Xmas week. I don’t stay up until midnight anymore. We’ve a very nice bottle of bubbly chilling in the fridge.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 03:08 PM   #22

Still getting over a cold, so just a quiet evening with DW.

A beautiful Wagyu A5 steak for a special treat, with twice-baked potato and some wonderful aged Gouda and Brie for dessert. Washed down with good Belgian beer, Chimay for me and Framboise for her. Doubtful we'll make it to midnight.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:15 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

New Years Eve afternoon - best time to go see a movie. Come home, read, watch TV, a little bubbly with DW and zzzzzz
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:16 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Is that like a Natty light?

I keed, I keed....... I worked for a British MegaCorp for about 7 years and traveled to Blighty quite a bit (see what I did there?...), which expanded my vocabulary (especially slang) quite a bit as well. I occasionally use the slang I learnt at that time in our lives in everyday conversation - DW finds it so clever and funny that it causes her eyes to roll back in her head temporarily.
It's amazing how quickly the lingo returns.

However, I got talking to an old guy in the pub tonight who had spent a lot of time in the small pit town I grew up in. (About 35 miles north of us here). He couldn't believe I was from there because of my accent these days. I was at full stretch trying to understand his accent and had to get translations from time to time from my BIL, who also grew up there. So embarrassing to have to keep turning to him to ask what was being said
Old 12-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes a quiet evening. Between hockey games and watching Airport (1970) on the Premium channels which are free over the holidays. Turkey leftovers for dinner!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:21 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Staying home......DW will fall asleep watching football game with me by 9:30 PM. The dog and I will try to run out the year together, but, like last year, we failed about 11:00 PM. However, it's midnight back east by 11:00 PM here so no big deal!
What football is on tonight?
jpeter1093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:22 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post
What football is on tonight?
Texas vs Utah in the Alamo Bowl, ESPN 7:30 Eastern
Old 12-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #28

Alan, as much as I love the part of the world where you live, I am always utterly defeated when trying to converse with the locals.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

My ladyfriend and I don't stay up much later than midnight. Her body clock has her getting up early every morning even if she doesn't go to work (as was the case today), so for her staying up that late is a challenge.

We are going to a 10 AM showing of the latest Star Wars movie tomorrow so we'll have to be done with breakfast by 9 AM (theater is walking distance away). Fandango shows me advanced seating for the ~120-seat theater is low, a good sign, probably due to most people expecting to sleep in much later than us.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Alan, as much as I love the part of the world where you live, I am always utterly defeated when trying to converse with the locals.
I found Yorkshire and Geordie to be equally confounding.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We used to go out to NYE parties and enjoyed it, but we quit that at least 10 years ago. Now we go out for a very nice dinner, 6:30p tonight, and we’re home long before the professionals take over the roads. We’re not likely to see midnight either...kiss has to wait until morning.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
yep, that is just like the locals speak round here.

I am from 35 miles north of here in Sunderland and we speak with a Wearside or Mackem accent. I love taking visitors to my home town into our local "Miners' Welfare" pub. They think they have gone to a different country. Even today when my other sister comes down to visit she can't understand the locals and they can't understand her. Fortunately I'm bilingual

Old 12-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #33

Simple as can be. Going to DD (10 min away) to eat dinner and hang out until the ball drops then home and to bed. Did the wild and crazy in my late teens/early twenties. Had enough of that. Happy New Years everyone.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:45 PM   #34
Administrator

Off to bed now - HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!
Old 12-31-2019, 03:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We used to go out to NYE parties and enjoyed it, but we quit that at least 10 years ago. Now we go out for a very nice dinner, 6:30p tonight, and we’re home long before the professionals amateurs take over the roads. We’re not likely to see midnight either...kiss has to wait until morning.
FIFY

No big activities tonight. DW is at the movies (only one seat left for a show I did not care if I saw). Simple dinner when she gets back. Might venture to the HOA club house to visit with neighbors for a little while.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #36

I stopped any NYE festivities when I was still in college. For me, I got turned off seeing usually normal people use NYE as an excuse to get roaring drunk and make fools of themselves.

Over time, it just got easier and easier to decline dinner and party invites for NYE and just stay home. So, tonight, as we've done for many a year, the DW and I will have dinner at home, watch a movie and turn in early.

Happy New Year!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

We tend to stay at home but invite people here. Most are dancers. Think we have around 17 coming. Three are added because the person we invited asked if others could come. And of course a few had to cancel.

Funny thing is we can throw the party for about what it would cost just for the two of us to go out to a fancy place. The density of people will be less too. Since we control the volume of the music at least it will not be super loud or too soft to hear. For us it's more fun if the crowd is people you mostly already know and like.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #38

Home-cooked dinner will be done soon, then we will settle in for some tv (DH) and reading (me, with occasional looks at the tv).

I sometimes miss the NY Eves of my youth, when our family would meet with about ten other families at one house for an evening/night of board games, card playing, and snacks. We could invite friends over for the same, but they would probably want to stay until midnight. We will likely nod off before then.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #39

The last time we stayed up to celebrate was on a 2016 December Mexican Riviera cruise.
We might watch the ball drop from NYC
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:23 PM   #40

Early dinner with one of my kids and grandkids. Now at home about to enjoy Twilight Zone marathon n SyFy channel. Since DW was a teacher, we were always on a cruise Xmas week so this is first New Year's at home in a very long time.
As an aside, having 2 older brothers I couldn't wait to be old enough to go out on NYE with girls! I think the novelty of the NYE celebration thing wore out by age 21 or so.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote