Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Us too. A nice fondue supper followed by sex. Then TV until the big noise at midnite.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have steak, crab legs, scallops and shrimp planned for dinner tonight. We will struggle, as always, to make it until 11:00 to watch the east coast ball drop.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Early dinner with one of my kids and grandkids. Now at home about to enjoy Twilight Zone marathon n SyFy channel.
Ah, if DH were still alive we'd have cable (I dropped it in favor of Netflix) and that's what we'd be watching!

I haven't been to a big, splashy New Year's Eve celebration since' was in my 20s- just don't get very excited about them. Mixing alcohol types, even over a long evening, is a good way for me to get dead drunk followed by a hangover in the morning, and I'm typically asleep between 10 and 10:30 anyway. The guy I'm dating works evenings till 10:30 at the state SHIP line for people with questions about Medicare but we spent Sunday night curled up in bed together against the cold. I'm fine with that.

So- this will be a perfectly ordinary night.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #44

Visiting DS, DDIL and DGD in Washington, which is three hours behind New York. It is homemade soup for dinner, play with the baby, and an early night.

They don't have cable, so we will not be able to watch the Honeymooners and sip diet ginger ale in bed, which we customarily do on NYE. So, it will not be our normal wild NYE.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

We went to dinner with some friends. Then home to watch a little tv .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:46 PM   #46

Quiet night planned here. Pizza, and a quirky movie on Amazon called A Bird of the Air which I've been meaning to watch for a while now.

My celebration at 12:01 am will be declaring for the first time "I will be retiring this year."

I wish a happy and healthy New Year to one and all.
Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quiet here but one of our favorites. U8 shrimp cocktail, tamales, lemon blueberry cheesecake, and the Alamo Bowl. To bed by ten.
Happy 2020 to all !
Gulfbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #48
gone traveling

Grilled scallops appetizer with a French sparkler.
Filet mignon, baked russet potato with a Turley Zinfandel.
Apricots and a very nice grappa.
On the sofa, in front of the electronic hearth.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
F plans to be operating his ham radio for at least part of the evening.
Off topic but has he ever watched the British comedian Tony Hancock's "The Radio Ham" before. It's from the early 60's and is not very PC but still funny nonetheless.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hjol2
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:16 PM   #50

Instead of an elaborate dinner, DW just prepared some appetizers. Pate, caviar, brie, Kerry gold cheddar, Italian salami and bratwurst pieces.
It was accompanied by a nice Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
We are watching CNN where the ball drop will be at 9PM our time.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:22 PM   #51

DH and I are home and our older son stopped by. We are not a drinking family at all, but I have some egg nog with brandy in it that is quite enjoyable! We are watching Anderson Cooper and Andy Cohen in Times Square.

We tend to stay home on NYE. I don’t like crowds or drunks and I don’t want to be out on the road when many other people are driving impaired. Yeah, I’m a lot of fun.

Like a few others here (W2R, I’m looking at you) I look forward to wrapping up my 2019 spreadsheets and starting new ones for 2020. Party On!
Old 12-31-2019, 10:49 PM   #52

Happy New Year everyone!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:57 PM   #53

yup. stay home, off the roads, watch the ball drop, fireworks on tv, share a midnight smooch, salute the flag and hit the sack. during my career i worked nearly every NYE, sometimes the day shift but usually the PM or overnight watch.

the quietest NYE we ever had was, oddly enough, Y2K. none of our systems were connected to the net so no worries there and we fixed all of the "00" problems (as a side note i did an interview with NBC news about how vulnerable our 9-1-1 system was to Y2K but the segment never ran presumably because there was zero chance of it failing). what we were worried about was the telco system crashing when everyone decided to lift their handsets at the same time to see if there was a dial tone. thankfully the messages we and the telcos had been sending worked. i arrived at the center around 11:30pm to find a lot of bored 9–1-1 operators sitting idle. between 11:30 and 12:30 when i left we had less than half a dozen calls. normally, especially between 12 and 12:30 we would have fielded dozens of calls (500,000 people in 12-towns, 12 police depts, 15-fire depts and fire protection districts).

to prepare the chief, my boss, had me purchase sleeping bags (to hold over staff), portable generators (in case the grid went down and our backup genny failed to start), food, plastic plates, utensils, bottled water, yadda yadda yadda. i ordered it all put away...open nothing! i was planning to return it all on January 2nd. wally took everything back but the food.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 PM   #54

Happy New Year!
N02L84ER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #55

Had planned to go downtown to watch one of Pennsylvania’s many objects that are dropped on NYE. A headache all day derailed that plan. Felt better in the evening but not well enough to go out in the cold.

Watched DS live stream snowboarding at a local ski resort where they had fireworks at midnight, so that was fun to watch. Also watched the NYE events on TV. Had a tiny glass of Becerin I brought home from Turin last summer, and a smooch with DH at midnight. The Becerin blew the low carb out of the water.

For Y2K we bowled until 3AM. That was ridiculous fun. DS was 7.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:23 AM   #56

I spent New Years Eve playing poker with 3 beautiful ladies Not a bad way for this old buffalo to start of the new year.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

DH and I went to a New Years Eve party last night downtown with a live band, dancing etc. We did not get home until 2 AM. We had a great time. We are age 68 but we still know how to party!!

Happy New Year everyone.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

We went out to lunch, movie and then to our favorite cheers bar. We were home by 7. Watched TV in bed until we fell asleep with the dogs. At midnight the fireworks from downtown woke us up even though it is a mile and a half away. Sometimes we go to our backyard to watch them.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 02:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We went out to lunch, movie and then to our favorite cheers bar. We were home by 7. Watched TV in bed until we fell asleep with the dogs. At midnight the fireworks from downtown woke us up even though it is a mile and a half away. Sometimes we go to our backyard to watch them.
I slept in the basement with earplugs in so the fireworks didn't wake me up.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

We went out for dinner and dancing with a DJ on NYE with a group of friends.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote