Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who needs a cell phone?
No way. Jose. Useless, service too expensive for now. 22 20.00%
Emergencies only. I like to schedule my calls. 35 31.82%
Occasionally I use it. Keep-up with the Joneses 22 20.00%
Couldn't live without it. 31 28.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Who needs a cell phone?
Old 08-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

We live on a boat, no phone lines on the dock, so my DW and I have cell phones on an old Verizon plan that costs $46 per month for both with 300 joint minutes. Also have wi-fi internet and dish tv. I love the wireless world!
AFloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:49 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
hell, I cannot see the screen during the day anyway, so watching anything on the thing is futile.
That's an interesting question.

For you presbyopians, I can use most of the buttons on our cordless phone with no problem. Some of that is memory but most of it is being able to see its bigger buttons. Do you have to put on your $#%^ing reading glasses to use your cell phone?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:28 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
For you presbyopians, I can use most of the buttons on our cordless phone with no problem.* Some of that is memory but most of it is being able to see its bigger buttons.* Do you have to put on your $#%^ing reading glasses to use your cell phone?
Yes, if you need to read the itty-bitty screen.

Because I have my frequently called numbers assigned to a button it isn't usually an issue when dialing. I have my favorite callers assigned to specific ring tones so I know who is calling me. Otherwise, if I want to screen my calls I gott'a have my glasses on.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote author]
Who needs a land line?
No land line for 5 years now!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I don't use many minutes so last year I purchased a tracfone and 100 minutes. DH has a cell phone for work. If we didn't want/need the internet I would cancel the land line. I only have local service and use skype or phone card for long distance.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
No land line for 5 years now!*
A couple months shy of six years for me. I was the first person I knew to ditch the land line and go with only a cellphone. Now I only know a couple people who have a land line.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:33 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After adding to this thread, I decided to call tracfone and got a customer supervisor to authorize re-instating upto 1 year any minutes left on my deactivated phone when I go abroad for a long trip.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

....I hate telephones and talking on them. I did finally get around to getting a Tracfone last year and have actually used a couple of minutes on it. I give it to my daughter to take when she goes on trips. She uses it and says it has good service. My wife has a T-Mobile and it has lousy coverage in much of the southeat. When I have to go to the the best buy to replace an appliance or get something the young salespeople waste several minutes showing me all the features of the newer products. I finally ask them the only question that really matters to me; "which one has the smallest operators manual?". No IPOD or Blackberry or MP3 or satellite radio. Too busy living life to waste any time with that stuff. I have also never used an ATM. I know it sounds like I am computer illiterate or something but at work the young folks usually come to me when they have questions about how to do things on the computer.
jc
Old 08-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #29

I'm interested in geting off the land line, but I'm on the phone co's DSL.
I don't know how else to do it.
I have DISH and am happy with it, so I don't want cable.

We have a T-mobile & Virgin pay as you go phones, like them, but coverage is kind of non-existant in the rural areas...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
.* Do you have to put on your $#%^ing reading glasses to use your cell phone?
Well, DH does. Or he hands the phone to me and says, "here, you dial." (I have bifocals)
We have a pay-as-you-go plan with Beyond Wireless and we'll hang with them until Cingular stops supporting the network. At home, it's in the car for any emergency. It gets a workout when we travel .. and has short-circuited a few martial fights over directions...
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
I am now a consultant I am thinking of getting one. Would it increase my throughput/income and ease or would it just increase my stress level?
Comments?* *
I've been working for a consulting company for over a year without a cell phone. People razz me saying I'm the only consultant in the world without one. It hasn't been an issue for me but I think the sales team gets a little frustrated when they can't reach me in 10 seconds. They also have a short fuse on the issue since they allow me to expense the cost. I've been holding out for as long as I can.

Maybe I should just get one, expense it, and never answer it.*
FI@35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I got the tracphone, because I thought it covered my area here in the boonies. It doesn't work here, I have since found out this is a dead area for any phone. Maybe some day the service will appear, not worried about it now that I have a land line.

I keep the phone for emergancies and finding someone at the airport. It is nice when we are shopping and can't find each other just give a call and viola'. Saves a lot of wandering around trying to find your shopping buddy. I don't use a lot of minutes as most of the time it doesn't work.

This reminds me I have to renew my minutes there goes another $20. Oh well, well worth it if you need to use it.

Kitty
Old 08-06-2006, 05:13 AM   #33

Being the type of person I am I found having a cell phone an actual stress reliever. I hate being late for anything and being able to call and let someone know that I'm on my way or let my husband know where I am puts my mind at ease. I also can have anxiety attacks and being able to phone someone if I'm in the car helps me tremendously.

I also just bought a T-Mobile for my 72 yr old dads birthday. Both of their vehicles are older and sometimes they will have our 92yr old grand father with them, I shudder to think if they broke down somewhere. I thought he would be upset but he loves it, thinks it's great that there is no monthly bill and all us kids can buy him minutes as gifts (he's been my frugal example thru life).

I still have my land line since work pays for both my cell and dh's.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI@35
Maybe I should just get one, expense it, and never answer it.*
Author Robert Crais has been writing detective novels about his character Elvis Cole for a number of years.

Elvis finally broke down & bought a cell phone to keep up with his customers' expectations, but of course the phone never has coverage in the canyons & hills of LA and has consumed his life with its hypercomplicated incompetence. I think Crais gets an extra 20 pages out of his books just bitching about his cell phone experience.

I hope it's not autobiographical. I'd have to be the cell-phone provider for a NYT-bestselling author who can nurse a grudge.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I am surprised that folks say T-Mobile lacks coverage. I have used mine all over the USA east of the Mississippi (sp) and have had very few areas that I did not get coverage. All the way to the Canadian border. But of course if your area is not covered it is of no value. But I certainly find it the most economical cell service out there for our situation. Both myself and DW have one. DW uses hers about 10 minutes per month. I use mine a little more. As we forward our home phone (Vonage) to it.

The only thing we do not skimp on is InterNet access we fork out the whole $45 PM for decent reliable cable access with unlimited DL'ing. We DL movies so that takes up a lot of bandwidth, I found that DSL was too costly overall for our situation and also we save an extra $15 per month, as I like to frequent the USENET newsgroups and our cable company happens to have a very reliable News Server also. Most providers have poorly managed News Servers so one would need to pay extra for that.

SWR
Old 08-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Not only do I use cellphone for voice, but I use cellphone for internet. It's a dedicated data-only cell card that plugs in to my PC (a.k.a. and "aircard"). In most areas - 3x dial up speeds (144Kbps. In big cities - 3x DSL speeds (> 1.6Mbps).

I love being mobile and wireless.

Audrey

P.S. I'm using it right now - sitting in my campsite in Cle Elum, WA.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:27 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Have a cell phone for convenience. Rarely talk on any phone!!!

Who are these "Joneses"? :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #38

Occasionally I use it--but not to keep up with the Joneses...mostly to keep up with the hubster!
Old 08-07-2006, 06:12 AM   #39

I put down the "occasionally use it" but I don't agree with the "keep up with the Joneses" part. IMO, if I were keeping up with the Joneses I'd have the latest camera flip phone that does everything but wipe your @$$. And I'd also have a horrendous bill.

I got a fairly basic Nokia 5145 or whatever back in 2001 or so. I got mugged in late 2002 and the cell phone was one of the things they got off me. I had an insurance policy on the phone that was like $1.95 per month or so, and it paid for me to get a new one. I could've upgraded, but I just got the cheap one again.

Eventually in 2004 I upgraded to a new phone, mainly because they were offering an incentive to switch to the new type of network. I forget what the various names were for each network, but there was an old one that they were trying to phase out.

Still, it's just a cheap Nokia 51-something or other. It does what I need it to.
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #40

By extending the argument against cellphone, who needs the Internet, the Early Retirement Forum, the postal service, pigeons, or smoke signals? We humans need communication. Anything that helps in exchanging information isn't going to go the way of the Pony Express unless something better at transmitting information comes along.

When I moved, I had no Internet for 3 weeks. I couldn't bank, I couldn't find the roads on which to ride my bike, and I couldn't look up, you know, pictures of attractive women. Luckily, I had my cellphone with a flat rate that covers all of North America. Otherwise, I'd be up a **** creek trying to get anything done.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote