Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who needs a cell phone?
No way. Jose. Useless, service too expensive for now. 22 20.00%
Emergencies only. I like to schedule my calls. 35 31.82%
Occasionally I use it. Keep-up with the Joneses 22 20.00%
Couldn't live without it. 31 28.18%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Who needs a cell phone?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:38 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm with Andre (except on the insurance thing--unless you can't afford to replace an item--like a car or house or your health--or have a liability issue with it--like a car or house--why insure? I wouldn't pay 10 cents a month to insure my phone, since I'll replace it with a free or very cheap one anyhow). We have the same plan of shared (400) minutes and low-end, free Nokia phone since we moved to South Carolina a little over 4 years ago. My phone died a couple of years ago and they replaced it with an identical model for free--which fits exactly into a pocket in my purse (one of those little flip phones would get lost in the main compartment). Our biggest cell phone problmes are remembering to keep them charged, remembering to turn them on(!)--and for DH, remembering to take it with him!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #42

yeah, my cell phone insurance is probably a waste of money, but I figure that the way I tend to drop things, lose them, etc, it makes me feel a bit better. However, I might have to re-check the policy, because there's probably a deductible on it nowadays. And the price of cell phones has only come down.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsOfVeal
By extending the argument against cellphone, who needs the Internet, the Early Retirement Forum, the postal service, pigeons, or smoke signals? We humans need communication.
The difference is that the Internet, the postal service and these forums do not try to wake me up in the middle of the night!

There is only one person aside from my coworkers and clients who knows my cell number. The rest can use e-mail or regular mail if they need to get a hold of me.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
Not only do I use cellphone for voice, but I use cellphone for internet.* It's a dedicated data-only cell card that plugs in to my PC (a.k.a. and "aircard").* *In most areas - 3x dial up speeds (144Kbps.* In big cities - 3x DSL speeds (> 1.6Mbps).

I love being mobile and wireless.

Audrey

P.S. I'm using it right now - sitting in my campsite in Cle Elum, WA.
Same here, but we don't have a card and simply use the phone with a mobile office kit.

Are you with Verizon?

We have no land lines, just two cell phones. Works out well since we travel around a lot. The calls to each other are free so that is handy.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #45

DW has the $99/yr tracfone for mainly emergencies or 1 minute "I'm outside your office, come outside and let's go!" calls.

I find the trouble of paying for, owning, maintaining, charging, fixing, troubleshooting, reprogramming, dealing with customer service, etc. etc. more of a hassle than looking for a payphone when I need one (it's been years). I might change my mind the first time I break down on the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere with the kids. Most likely DW (and her phone) will be there though if that happens. Otherwise I'm in the city near people, businesses and phones. And I'm a dude, so I can change a tire or put some water in the radiator if the need arises.

I like that work, family and friends CANNOT reach me when I don't want them too (except when I'm at home). Maybe I'm anti-social.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #46

Question for the cell data users: what it the monthly cost, and do you get unlimited data transfer, or does the cell co. cap your monthly usage at a certain number of MB's?
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like this girl needed a cell phone to be informed she no longer had a job.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060804...aintelecomjobs
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
I might change my mind the first time I break down on the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere with the kids.
That's what CB radio is for
Old 08-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrooge
Heh I remember that craze.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
Heh I remember that craze.
Yep, it was rather silly at times, but as long as there is a friendly police officer monitoring the emergency channel 24x7, I don't care what's happening on the other 20ish (or was it more than that? haven't opened the gizmo in years) channels*
Old 08-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #51

Quote:
That was before my time! I remember seeing it in my parents' old cars though. If I wanted a solution to the "breaking down on the side of the road" problem, I'd get a cell phone though. In the meantime, I stick with regularly scheduled maintenance intervals and keep the cars in top operating condition. I splurge on maintaining the cars so I don't end up stranded on the side of the road.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:52 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I splurge on maintaining the cars so I don't end up stranded on the side of the road.* *
I can assure you that there are many many ways to end up stranded on the side of the road even if you do a great job of maintaining your car
Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 PM   #53

Quote:
I can assure you that there are many many ways to end up stranded on the side of the road even if you do a great job of maintaining your car
True. But I can assure you that there are even more ways you can end up stranded on the side of the road if you don't maintain your car.

I grew up in the household that thought "maintaining your car is just a scam run by those evil auto repair shops and the car dealers". The "if it runs, drive it" (until it breaks down on the side of the road, of course) family. You may have seen me walking on the side of a road near you.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Question for the cell data users:* what it the monthly cost, and do you get unlimited data transfer, or does the cell co. cap your monthly usage at a certain number of MB's?*
all unlimited - $60/month.

Audrey
Old 08-07-2006, 06:30 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
all unlimited - $60/month.
Does that amount include your voice cell plan, too? Or is it a separate fee? Seems like a decent deal given the portability, and the fact that most of us cable internet users are paying ~$45/month for speeds a few times faster than your "in-town" speeds.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:35 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Separate from voice plan, but having a voice plan reduced the data plan by $10/month. Includes unlimited broadband if you are in an area that has it.

It's expensive compared to land systems, but cheaper and a lot easier than setting up a portable internet satellite system.

Audrey
Old 08-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

We've been talking, very sporadically, about an emergency cell phone for the cars.

But we seldom go anywhere that counts as a significant ways from home. Neither of us has a desire for a cell phone, and I must admit that the time or two I've attempted to use someone else's phone, especially if outside, I have had a lot of difficulty hearing clearly enough to understand what the other person was saying (especially if they too were on a cell phone).

Mostly, we pity people who feel they need to have a cell phone to be in touch with random callers every second of the day. That excludes the ones we hate because they can't walk/drive/be quiet in a movie theater because they are on a cell phone.

I guess we're just not important enough to need a cell phone.

cheers,
Michael

Michael Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
. . .if I were keeping up with the Joneses I'd have the latest camera flip phone that does everything but wipe your @$$.* . . .
That feature is not scheduled until 4G phones hit the market.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Never had a cell phone. I've used them a couple of times and don't care for them.
The job is NOW saying that we either have a cell phone OR they will provide us with a pager. Just another factor pushing me out the door.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:41 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea
* *Never had a cell phone. I've used them a couple of times and don't care for them.
* The job is NOW saying that we either have a cell phone OR they will provide us with a pager. Just another factor pushing me out the door.*
When I was still working, I found a pager was something I could live with more than a cell phone -- especially an alpha-numeric pager. They are much less intrusive than a cell phone. You can postpone responding until you finish your sentence, your meeting or your day -- depending on who calls for what. The alpha-numeric pagers were actually nice since most of the time, people only need some simply response. Type in a few words and you're done.

I hated being saddled with a cell phone. It meant I was always working on someone else's problem. I would just turn the d@mn thing off sometimes. Then when I would get back to my office, there would be 50 messages on my voicemail telling me to check my cell messages.

Good luck, mountaintosea.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote