Who would have thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FIREmenow;1907678Yes said:
IS[/B] involved, but it is ALSO what you do with that luck, the choices you make, and your determination.

That's what it comes down to. When opportunity knocks, some people don't get off the couch to answer the door. Others will answer the door promptly, hang up the guest's coat, and offer them a drink.

And there's always the flip side. Watching people I know personally, including several relatives, who had significant wealth lose it all serves as a constant reminder that making it is only half the battle.

Yes, while I've made plenty mistakes of my own, I much prefer to learn from the mistakes of others. :)

I've known many who make much more moolah than I ever will only to fall prey to a high-consumption lifestyle while also being targeted by every scammer/hustler/leech out there...

...too many people who equate wealth with evil and greed. I'll keep a low profile, thank you.

I've read this a lot on this forum. I have a problem with this line of thought - if no one knows you're wealthy, they'll just keep believing that wealthy people are evil and greedy. As long as the non-evil, non-greedy wealthy people are secretive about it, we'll never get to the point that the "evil" label is based on behaviors, rather than the amount of money one has.

Granted, you don't need to let random strangers know how much money you have, but if you have friends and family that could be educated, why not?

I've read this a lot on this forum. I have a problem with this line of thought - if no one knows you're wealthy, they'll just keep believing that wealthy people are evil and greedy. As long as the non-evil, non-greedy wealthy people are secretive about it, we'll never get to the point that the "evil" label is based on behaviors, rather than the amount of money one has.

Granted, you don't need to let random strangers know how much money you have, but if you have friends and family that could be educated, why not?

Seems to me that it's hard to see any positive coming from pointing out to those in the raging waters that you are the one in the lifeboat. Bottom line is - you could help them out but choose not to due to fear that they may take you down with them

Last edited:

The people whose attitude I'd want to change are mostly acquaintances, especially the ones who post this sort of thing on FB. Not the place to broadcast my net worth! I do, however, sometimes point out that when they're looking for large donations for their major charity projects, they typically consort with these evil people. Only two close friends and a couple of family members know my net worth and they have the sense to keep it in perspective.

I am thinking we need an Early Retirement Lite for those of us that were not such overachievers :)

Charter Member here. Sign me up! :LOL:

Sorry, but on a scale of 1 to 10 where one is Mother Theresa humility and 10 is Donald Trump braggadocio, this thread is a self congratulatory 7-8...

:LOL:

I don't equate money with success so no need for me to reconcile anything. I think if you cut your own grass because you think it will keep you humble like the "little" people, you're not as humble as you think.

The education must first be that the best way to "wealth" is thru things like saving and LBYM. A lot of people do not see it that way Without that base they will tend think it is "unfair" that others have more.

Also, unfortunately there are family and friends that use this equation:

"evil and greedy = you won't give me the amount of money I want when I want it and/or you have the gall to ask me to repay money you loaned to me."

Once that happens they are more than willing let others know how "evil" and "greedy" you are.

Just my experience...

The education must first be that the best way to "wealth" is thru things like saving and LBYM. A lot of people do not see it that way Without that base they will tend think it is "unfair" that others have more.

Trying not to get political, but the mindset that I see today says that it's not fair when someone has "too much" money (who gets to decide what is too much?), and the only way to make it fair is to take it from them.

Boy, this is a peculiar thread. Couple of thoughts:
-you need to be satisfied with where you are financially to be happy.
-you will have more friends if you chalk your wealth up to good luck(don't actually have to believe this, but it helps). The role of luck in one's life is more philosophical than anything.
- life isn't all about wealth. Health and personal relationships are much more important but in many ways are influenced to some degree by your wealth
-talking about your wealth will cause envy-nobody minds hearing about someone's wealth, as long as it's less than their's
-wealthy people are not all jerks
-wealth creates options, having options is better than the alternative
-happiness is a very personal thing, caused by many factors and trying to compare it to one's wealth is futile

Last edited:
Sorry, but on a scale of 1 to 10 where one is Mother Theresa humility and 10 is Donald Trump braggadocio, this thread is a self congratulatory 7-8...

Agee. Much of what we see on this site is self congratulatory to some degree. All the articles about how most people aren't prepared for retirement, in debt to their ears, live above their means? Some of our most popular threads.

IMHO you're just going to make yourself miserable trying to "educate" those outside your family.

Most of your co-workers and social "friends" are already so ingrained in their habits they'll just ignore your advice.

Or resent it and do something worse...

It's easy for me to be humble since I owe so much of my success to my fantastically good looks, which of course were inherited.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom