Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2008, 04:26 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Walt, we always congratulate the retirees, but I would like to congratulate you on finding a new job that looks like a good fit with a good atmosphere. Enjoy the work and enjoy the toys. How easy was it to find work after being out of the mix for 5 years?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Jarhead, get an RV. Good backup plan for weather calamities. Ours is always packed with several days of good living during hurricane season. We can stay clean, lighted, fed, hydrated and, with the right wine, pretty content for at least a week or so.

We moved to Fla in 2004, the year of 5 hurricanes. No damage in our area, and no hurricanes since then. But when they come back, if I am not still tied to the day job, we'll pack it up and take a nice leisurely camping trip someplace high and dry.

Sorry to hear of your weather-related hassles and losses. No place is safe from those things. Let us know how your insurance claims go .

What a fantastic IDEA!

Me Likey, now How do I approach the wife with the RV thingy?

She likes camping at Marriotts.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #23

It was very difficult to find a job, I started seriously looking two years ago but I was being picky. Working because one wants to, vs. having to, are two entirely different worlds.

I'm a retired police officer with backgrounds in fraud investigation, computer forensics (data recovery combined with search & seizure law, an esoteric combination) and online fraud investigation - i.e., "backtracking through the Internet". I didn't want to go back to computer forensics because all of those positions are either in major cities or require too much travel. Some people like big cities and/or lots of job-related travel but I'm not one of them. There is not enough money in the world to make me endure sitting in traffic two or more hours per day to get to and from work.

Next was applying at banks and financial institutions - all of them are targets for fraud. No luck there.

So I'll be doing armed security work at federal government buildings. The Federal Protective Service contracts out a lot of that to subcontractors, but they have to meet all the current law enforcement standards. The next four days are firearms training/qualification, next is first aid, CPR, heart defibrillator, etc., then use of less-than-deadly force issues like pepper spray, taser, etc. and legal issues. I was surprised - I haven't fired a gun since my last qualification and I had no trouble, it was like I'd never put it down. I thought I'd be at least a little rusty.

It pays $2 less per hour than I was making before I retired, which is terrific for this area, and I have the option of cutting back to part time when I wish. Everyone in the class is either current or retired law enforcement. There are three possible job sites, the farthest is an easy 20-minute drive, the closest I could walk to in fifteen minutes, bike in five. So, absent running into someone with an attitude problem it looks like a good fit for me. In that case I have to decide - how badly do I want that RV?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Walt ,
Congratulations on your new job .Some of us are not meant for full time retirement . I got itchy after I retired and started selling on ebay .I also filled in occasionally at a surgery center .I stopped doing the surgery center .It was too much like work but I continue to sell on ebay and amazon when I'm bored .I can do it for a few months and then stop and start again later .It's just fun money .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Walt34,

Being FI gives you the ability to do what you want to instead of what you have to... including getting a job! No worries.

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Walt34;600011So, absent running into someone with an attitude problem it looks like a good fit for me. In that case I have to decide - how badly do I want that RV?[/QUOTE]
I've always felt that the dissatisfiers far outweighed the satisfiers-- commuting, uniform attire, having to keep a schedule, having to put in the time, bureaucracy, meetings... and what if the surf comes up right before your next shift?

At least you seem to have solved the commuting issues, although I hope that the boss doesn't think it makes it easier for you to substitute for an absent worker on short notice. It'll be interesting to see how big you can make your B.S. bucket-- would that be a "class A" RV?

Gotta be responsible for finding your own entertainment, and at this point I have a lot of trouble remembering how I found the time for work. But I don't want to trade in any more of my time for money.

I'd even sell Intercst's other kidney before I went job-hunting. Besides I think Jarhead's wife would buy it from me at a great price...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Good to see you posting again. Still plan to hustle your friends on the course?
Hey you old Dawg: Haven't cracked up, just decided the tournament schedule was not as fun as it used to be. Local golf, for sure. I never hustle friends. (That's what tourists are for).

Nords: I'll keep you in mind re: replacement parts.

Khan is a self-admitted hermit that very rarely leaves the house, and doesn't drink. You, on the other hand are a surfer-boy that enjoys frosty beverages. Of course you're younger than him, so there;s some weight to that.

Too close to call at this point.

Let me know if you decide to go back to work, and I'll get Rich's opinion.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnxpat View Post
Are there any forum members out there who regrets retiring, whether early or otherwise?
Been retired eight years now.

Regrets? I've had a few. Then again too few to mention................I did it myyyyy wayyyyy. (Cue Frank Sinatra)

I wouldn't go back in time and change the ER decision, even if that were possible.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've always felt that the dissatisfiers far outweighed the satisfiers-- commuting, uniform attire, having to keep a schedule, having to put in the time, bureaucracy, meetings... and what if the surf comes up right before your next shift?
Yes. YOU feel that way... and possibly Walt34 feels differently... and possibly he'll feel differently in a year... or not... regardless, as long as he's happy with his choices, who are we to judge?

Old 01-12-2008, 09:31 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post
What a fantastic IDEA!

Me Likey, now How do I approach the wife with the RV thingy?

She likes camping at Marriotts.

Mine too, although she likes the idea of the RV because it keeps her out of the tent and she gets her shower! That said, our "Marriott camping" days outnumbers our tent camping days by about 50 to 1, but she knows I like the outdoor style of camping, and knows when our days at megacorp are over, so too are many of the Marriott days.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Yes. YOU feel that way... and possibly Walt34 feels differently... and possibly he'll feel differently in a year... or not... regardless, as long as he's happy with his choices, who are we to judge?
No judgments. Gimme a break; it's been over five years for me too and Walt is at a similar spot on the path. Or developmentally, maybe he's a little farther ahead of me. That's why I asked the questions.

Walt pointed out that he ER'd in frustration over two negative aspects of work. I like the positive aspects of work, too, but for me the negatives far outweigh the positives and the negatives would eventually interfere. I'm wondering how those issues stand with this new job.

I'm trying to think of some activity or possession that would compel or incite me to return to work. Haven't found one. While I engage in activities that bore me to tears or that will have to end some day (yardwork!) I haven't had any trouble finding things I want to do.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #32

Quote:

At least you seem to have solved the commuting issues, although I hope that the boss doesn't think it makes it easier for you to substitute for an absent worker on short notice. It'll be interesting to see how big you can make your B.S. bucket-- would that be a "class A" RV?
I've thought about "What if the surf's up just before the next shift" issue. That comes with the territory. If I commit to a job then I have to honor that commitment. Most times I wouldn't mind (I think) coming in on short notice, but if I've made plans I'll simply tell them I'm not available. Mentally I've committed to at least a year - I think I owe the employer that much given the expense of training, etc. unless they do something outrageous - after that I'll recalculate whether it's worth it.

I used to have a lot of interest in R/C airplanes but for whatever reason the interest waned and I'm selling off a lot of that stuff, but keeping the tools which are hard to find and to keep my options open. And the tools are good for small household repairs.

I'm not going for a "class A" RV, just either a travel trailer or class C, most likely the trailer for lower maintenance costs. DW has made it clear that anything without an interior shower is not acceptable, which is reasonable. Since there's only two of us I'm thinking that a two or three year old travel trailer that I can tow with the 1/2 ton pickup will work OK. The truck is rated to tow 7,400 lbs so if I keep the loaded weight under 5K lbs (<75% rating) it should be OK. I'll read more on RV forums before buying.

I went to a RV show last Feb. and was amazed at the comforts in them! They're like a luxury hotel suite on wheels. I like the idea of hooking up to the truck, take $5-8K in cash and just head west.

One of the best vacations I ever had was when I was 26, single, no responsibilities. I had a Piper Tri-Pacer airplane and took 2 weeks off work, $600 in cash and went to the Oshkosh air show in Wisconsin for a week. I camped in a tent under the wing, the food gave me the runs, and I had a blast. All kinds of airplanes - that was the first time I'd seen a P-51 Mustang fighter close up and was surprised at how small it was, and saw a Boeing 707 do a chandelle on a ferry run. They had a two-hour air show every day. It was great!
Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead* View Post
That was quick!

Kinda feels like i'm being stalked.

We've been under seige in the last week, and I was feeling pretty good about having electricity again, so decided to waste somebodys time by posting.

We're all electric, and have been camping for 6 days. (lights went out last Thursday, and just got back in the ball-game last night.)

80 mile an hour winds, after being rain=soaked. Not a good combination.

Lost 4 trees, (one of them went through my large view window, taking part of the wall with it. (Fun time).

Put up some plywood for a stop-gap, and if it ever stops raining, will re-access damage. (Fun with Dick and Jane)

Being a homeowner is a much fun as you can have with your clothes on.
All of this happened because your forum posting slacked off. Now, if you'll be a good ER and post more often, I'll stop the bad weather. Otherwise, I'll huff and puff and. . .

Good to hear from you again. I think LSU is the best dang team in the country, don't you??

Oh, and to return to the thread, I'm starting my 5th year. When ER gets bad, I'll let you know.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #34

Quote:
No judgments. Gimme a break;
Oops. Yeah, the OP asked if anyone else regretted ERing and you answered the question. My bad.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:17 AM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I'm trying to think of some activity or possession that would compel or incite me to return to work.
I do that sometimes as a mental exercise (a koan?).

Quote:
Haven't found one.
Same here.
Don't suspect I ever will.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:55 AM   #36

I've had several offers to go back to work, the last guy tried real hard. I thought of, DEAL or NO DEAL?

Buzz off Howie!

ER'd since Jan '05 and staying that way!