Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I did spend a month one week in late January about half way between Apalachicola and Gainesville, not too far from the Suwannee River. Not figuring on needing "winter gear" I had a light jacket - which worked until the last day when I woke up to 22 degrees F. I realize that was unusual so YMMV.
Northern Florida can get cold in the winter. It is not always the sunny paradise some people envision Florida to be.

I saw light snow one winter when I lived in Pensacola and the snow lasted on the ground for several days in shady areas.

In a different winter, I also saw light snow falling in Jacksonville, but it melted when it hit the ground.

These are not typical conditions but they can happen.
Lewis Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the other hand, in 1977, snow actually did fall in southern Florida, even a tiny bit in Miami, due to a freak weather pattern which has not recurred. It was a big news story.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
On the other hand, in 1977, snow actually did fall in southern Florida, even a tiny bit in Miami, due to a freak weather pattern which has not recurred. It was a big news story.

My folks happened to be in Miami on that day it snowed! They called home to tell us kids about it! As I recall, they drove on down to Key West!
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Northern Florida can get cold in the winter. It is not always the sunny paradise some people envision Florida to be.

I saw light snow one winter when I lived in Pensacola and the snow lasted on the ground for several days in shady areas.

In a different winter, I also saw light snow falling in Jacksonville, but it melted when it hit the ground.

These are not typical conditions but they can happen.
True.

My first 17 years in Florida were in the Ft. Lauderdale area. "Winter" was as Amethyst described. The occasional dip into the high 20's-low 30's happened, but only a couple of times.

Winter in the Panhandle for the last 5+ years? Different deal. Have seen a lot of daily highs no better than the 50's, lows 35-40, often colder at both ends. I grew up in Arizona, and this part of the state is not what I consider snowbird weather. But, plenty of people from the upper Midwest here in Jan and Feb, some of them on the beach .

It's been a great place to get the kids through high school, but seriously looking for someplace warmer once the last one is gone.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Just curious, since there are many mentions of the Tampa area and places along the east cost, has anyone here looked at or settled in or around Citrus County. Anywhere around Citrus Springs or Crystal River. It seems much less crowded there and dare I say, cooler temperatures. There are also a few 55+ communities that do a good job advertising as well.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post

Winter in the Panhandle for the last 5+ years? Different deal. Have seen a lot of daily highs no better than the 50's, lows 35-40, often colder at both ends. I grew up in Arizona, and this part of the state is not what I consider snowbird weather. But, plenty of people from the upper Midwest here in Jan and Feb, some of them on the beach .
Yes, but it probably also has days in the 70's. Maybe 50's up to 70 is not beach weather, but it beats the hell out of Midwest winters. At least you can golf and be outside even if half the time you need a sweater. As for snowbird, I guess it matters how much less you have to spend to winter in the panhandle versus further south where it's more often over the 70's.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:01 AM   #47

No thanks. Cold weather is no tougher than
ghastly hot/humid summers.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:36 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Heh, heh, ask the TX contingent if they agree.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:33 AM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by albireo13 View Post
Cold weather memories I don't miss

Power outages and we are freezing in our homes
Pipes frozen no water
Warming up the car and scraping the ice off the windows
Looking for a jump start to start the car
Boiling hot water so I can melt the ice off the car door ignition lock
Black ice
Shovel snow
Driving in snow and ice
Snow and ice is more depressing than sunshine, warm weather and palm trees
Wearing multiple layers outside and even inside
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:08 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yup, the only time it officially snowed in Tampa.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:10 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
Just curious, since there are many mentions of the Tampa area and places along the east cost, has anyone here looked at or settled in or around Citrus County. Anywhere around Citrus Springs or Crystal River. It seems much less crowded there and dare I say, cooler temperatures. There are also a few 55+ communities that do a good job advertising as well.
I do recall a poster on the site who lives in a 55+ community in that area, but haven't seen him post recently.
It will be somewhat cooler in the winter, but you will still get plenty of heat, just not 7 months worth of summer.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #52

Most people move there first for the weather- they hate cold and snow and love beaches and golfing and boating-and second for the tax advantages. It's obviously extremely popular.

I personally do not care for Florida, though I have only vacationed there a few times and not lived there. I do have relatives there.

I can tell you what I do not like about it. The heat and humidity, no mountains, reptiles, bugs, hurricanes and other big storms, cost of insurance (think- flood) high sales tax, traffic, lack of charm in many places, less than great healthcare, scammers.

Coming from NY, we chose New England - specifically NH. We like seasons and actually like snow, even though we do not ski. Winter activities like snowshoeing, ice skating, pond hockey, ice fishing. Hiking all seasons. Lots of mountains. Views everywhere and lots of pines and spruce and the state tree- birch. It has no income or sales tax either. Awesome animals like moose and bear and bald eagles and loons. Insects are mostly tolerable- mostly mosquitos and black flies (seasonally). Fantastic fall season, though short. Summers are awesome. Crystal clear mountain lakes everywhere for swimming (no sharks or jelly fish), boating, fishing. Yeah- they are cold- but that's what wet suits and floatys are for! And while laying on the lake beach you have gorgeous scenery to look at- mountains and forests- not a bunch of buildings.( Ok- we do have 18 miles of ocean coastline and there are boardwalks and buildings in some areas there.) We can hop in the car to go to Maine, Massachusetts or Vermont ( and Connecticut and Rhode Island and, yes, NY (but who wants to go to NY?) very easily. Heck- even Canada!(well- before COVID).

Very good healthcare and charming and quaint New England villages. Inexpensive insurance.

Vacation areas like where we are living do get crowded and noisy especially in summer and fall with people from Massachusetts mainly. Property taxes are high in general but not everywhere. As are electric rates but we are from NY so we don't think they are bad. Some high fees for things like car registration.

And the best state motto around: Live Free or Die! A very Independent political state if you like that sort of thing.

This all said there are a number of snowbirds here and in winter they go to mainly- you guessed it- Florida, though some to places like Arizona.

No place is perfect. Different strokes for different folks.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote