Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't even want to step outside if it's under 40. Anything under 60 is uncomfortable to me.
Depends on the humidity. A dry 20 can feel quite nice. A humid 40 can be uncomfortable.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Those beach boys and girls sure did not spend the time in the water except for late August/September.
I swam year around at Venice Beach. In January I wore a regular latex swim hat. It takes getting used to, but talk about invigorating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Depends on the humidity. A dry 20 can feel quite nice. A humid 40 can be uncomfortable.
So true. One reason why Western Washington can feel so much colder than it really is.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
The biggest problem is the drive to get there and the prices.
I recommend the tunnel from Long Beach. Better fill the gas tank before you enter the toll gates, however...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's Friday night. So, in only two more days we will have a new episode of "ice Road Truckers" on the History channel.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I don't even want to step outside if it's under 40. Anything under 60 is uncomfortable to me.
I'm in your camp. This is a guy who doesn't come out of long sleeves until the temperature hits 80 F.

But anything can be taken to extremes. After about 11:00 or so today I plan on staying inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot forecast.JPG (88.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #106

OT, but what a disappointment that History Channel is. Swamp People, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers. Where the &*%^ is the actual history? Ok, they did air a full day of the American Revolution on July 4, but that was an exception.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #107

Quote:
Agree. That's what makes Arizona quite tolerable up to about 105F
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
OT, but what a disappointment that History Channel is. Swamp People, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers. Where the &*%^ is the actual history? Ok, they did air a full day of the American Revolution on July 4, but that was an exception.
Yeah, same thing happened to MTV. Remember when they played actual music videos ??
Old 07-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #109

I very much enjoy living in Minnesota. Sure, there are things I complain about, but overall, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
One of my biggest complaints was needing to stand outside in a blizzard to fuel up the car on occasion. I drive an EV now so I never need to do that with one of our cars and only very rarely with our other. Life is good!
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I get really sweaty at anything above 90. Of cours,e I only know that because my skin gets salty and I get dehydrated.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I cannot imagine living with oppressive humidity or frozen winter landscapes. I'm San Francisco Bay Area born and bred, and I didn't even know what humidity was until I stepped off the plane in Tokyo in summer at age 28. Japan is where I also experienced living in extreme cold--there were three or four inches of snow on the ground for several weeks at a time! How were you supposed to get anywhere?!

I survived the cold by wearing two layers of long underwear (one silk, one wool/poly blend), sweatshirt, and a leather jacket with motorcycle gloves and earmuffs. My fellow students from Europe laughed at my Michelin man appearance and complete inexperience with cold and snow. (And I returned the laughter when they freaked out over the occasional tremblors that shook the buildings.)

I wonder, though, if you have to be brought up in extreme cold weather to remain there in maturity, or if people transplant as adults and cheerfully adapt. I have no plans to move elsewhere when I retire, but given my narrow climate preferences, I think I would be limited to a thin band along the Pacific coast, from Monterey up to Seattle.

Bottom line, I don't ever want to live somewhere that lack of climate control (heating or air conditioning) would mean death.
Indigo Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

I lived the first 23 years of my life in the colder climate of the Alps, then the next 15 years in the hot and humid climate of the Southeast US. It didn't take long to adapt. I am now probably getting spoiled with the Bay Area climate. In the wise words of unclemick:

Quote:
Where you are at is where you are at. Growing up, school, working and retirement. I still view climate as a challenge to be met versus picking a climate.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #113

I also experienced living in extreme cold--there were three or four inches of snow on the ground for several weeks at a time!HA HA HA HA HA HA. To a Minnesotan that is pretty funny.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #114

Sorry. I tried to "wrap" the above quote to show it came from someone else's e-mail, but it did not work. Can someone tell me how to do this?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #115
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Sorry. I tried to "wrap" the above quote to show it came from someone else's e-mail, but it did not work. Can someone tell me how to do this?
The easiest way to do it is hit the "Quote" button on the post you wish to quote, then if you don't want to quote the entire post, delete what you want to remove. Be sure to leave the [ QUOTE] at the beginning of the post and [ /QUOTE] at the end (without the space after the first [... )
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
And in Arizona where I live down to 20 at night and 50-60 by day Dec-March.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

We experience the Lake Ontario version of
Lake-effect snow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A mild winter versus a humdinger. Need I say more?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (780.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (980.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Today I helped someone recently moved from Minnesota put together patio furniture.

St. Joseph hit 103 breaking the old 101 - 1989.

heh heh heh - never volunteer?? Water, lemonade and A/C breaks. Proud to be a wuss.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #119

I'm good to about 95 degrees...in the southeast. Above that it gets too hot to do much.

Winters in the southeast are wonderful. In SC we have the seasons and the autumn leaves are great. And we don't get any real snow. That's great! Up north, you drop a tool in the snow and won't see it until spring. And the poor dead that need to get buried up north...
Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Quote:
So true. One reason why Western Washington can feel so much colder than it really is.
So true. My fourth year of college I went to the University of Bath, located in the southwest part of the UK, with a cool maritime-influenced climate somewhat similar to Western Washington's. One of the other students had come there from Ontario, Canada, but said she felt colder in Bath, due to the dampness. But I prefer damp and chilly to triple digits (no matter how dry it is) any day of the week!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote