Join Early Retirement Today

Why I think RVing Sucks.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Why I think RVing Sucks.

OK, sucks is a little strong.

I have been considering RVing in retirement. Can get an RV relatively cheap these days as rich retires turn them over quickly and the market overall here is for buyers with $. For example, $100K can get a really nice diesel pusher with all the good options and less than 10,000 miles.

So I started looking at destinations and I must say, RV parks I find on the web don't look very appealing. They usually seem to be out of town, away from the best spots in the area, very little privacy, facilities don't seem that great.

Also, there is a RV park inside town here, along the river wall, that I walk by every day. It seems like its filled with retirees that sit around idle all day. Kinda looks sad.

So is this it...or do some of you avoid these retirement traps and actually really enjoy it? Do really good RV resorts exist...I mean I don't mind paying for a good location, but are there enough users willing to pay a premium to support them?

E86S54
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some of us like the RV parks that are way out of town. That's kind of the point. That's why we often go to State and National parks - to get out in nature.

There are plenty of awful ones too - especially the ones close in urban areas. Finding the good ones is kind of an art.

Yes, really great RV commercial resorts exist, but they are often $$$$.

Our rig is big enough that we feel we have plenty of privacy, and we don't stay at places that have you smashed in right next to each other.

But it's great that you've concluded RVing must suck, because there are already way too many RVers out there already!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two good things about having an RV.

1) you can take your pit-bull along with you.

2) You can put it on cruise control and go back and have a cool one in the lounge.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by e86s54 View Post
So I started looking at destinations and I must say, RV parks I find on the web don't look very appealing. They usually seem to be out of town, away from the best spots in the area, very little privacy, facilities don't seem that great.
Wow! I don't even know where to start on this one. Of course, there are in-town RV Parks . (We are partial to KOAs but don't hold that against me.) The KOA in New Orleans is close to everything. The KOA in Arlington, Texas, is smack in the middle of that D/FW mess. The KOA in San Antonio has a Bus Stop at the gate -- and a plethora of tour buses that pick up at the Office. Actually, forget KOA, we have stayed at many, many Campgrounds in many, many cities that are close to all the important stuff. (We also enjoy the "get-away-from-it-all" camping that the parks provide.)

If you have this (minor) aspect so wrong, I just don't know how I can be of help.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A lot of people must agree with the OP, or else there wouldn't be so many barely used RVs for sale! Like many activities, try-before-you-buy would be a good idea. When I see RVs zooming down the Interstates, I think it would be awesome to do but I also think it would be hard.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A lot of people must agree with the OP, or else there wouldn't be so many barely used RVs for sale!
Or free. I loved this one in the local CraigsList (warning: no tittle).
FREE CAMPER TRAILER

Its about 18 ft. Needs work! Uhaul with everything in trailer! Some misc items in trailer like clothes etc, take all! It has no papers, no tittle, and no license. It does leak and has mold due to that. It needs a new door because the old one rotted and fell off. Please email me to come get it. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Some good points so far, like being able to bring your pets.

Audrey, what are your top 3 spots? Are there really too many RVs and so it can be hard to get good spots without booking weeks and months in advance? When you talk of great RV resorts that are $$$, can you give me a couple? Do you stay anywhere long term (at least a month).

I like the idea of the machine and being able to go to different places, it just seems like the resorts themselves aren't much better than the Wal-Mart parking lot.

E86
e86s54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I RV only because it provides me another place to sit around idle all day looking sad.

Thanks for rubbing it in. .
Old 03-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
A lot of people must agree with the OP, or else there wouldn't be so many barely used RVs for sale!
Yep. All those nearly new houses cars boats RV's for sale are a sure sign someone didn't like mortgages driving boating RVing.

Ask Rich_in_Tampa how many new RV's he purchased over the past five years - and why...
Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...I like the idea of the machine and being able to go to different places, it just seems like the resorts themselves aren't much better than the Wal-Mart parking lot.

E86
I'm going to bet the top of the line RV parks are not visible from the road. Once on vacation we were directed to the laundry facilities for a campground/RV park--it was quite a ways down a private drive, just outside the extremely private gated park itself. The laundry facility was unbelievable--a pretty rustic building with top of the line machines, well lit, cleaner than a neat freak's house. Can only imagine how nice the park inside the gate is.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep. All those nearly new houses cars boats RV's for sale are a sure sign someone didn't like mortgages driving boating RVing.

Ask Rich_in_Tampa how many new RV's he purchased over the past five years - and why...
True, I hadn't thought about people not being able to afford to keep their RVs (which would s*ck too).

I didn't know RIT had bought multiple RVs over the years.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Some good points so far, like being able to bring your pets.

Audrey, what are your top 3 spots? Are there really too many RVs and so it can be hard to get good spots without booking weeks and months in advance? When you talk of great RV resorts that are $$$, can you give me a couple? Do you stay anywhere long term (at least a month).

I like the idea of the machine and being able to go to different places, it just seems like the resorts themselves aren't much better than the Wal-Mart parking lot.

E86
Best source for finding the good spots in your general destination area - RV Park Reviews :: Home.

I'm not giving away my personal faves! Actually, my faves tend to be state parks anyway.

We almost never book more than a week in advance unless we are going to stay somewhere for more than a month, or unless we are RVing in Oregon!

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm going to bet the top of the line RV parks are not visible from the road. Once on vacation we were directed to the laundry facilities for a campground/RV park--it was quite a ways down a private drive, just outside the extremely private gated park itself. The laundry facility was unbelievable--a pretty rustic building with top of the line machines, well lit, cleaner than a neat freak's house. Can only imagine how nice the park inside the gate is.
Yes. In general, the nicer RV parks are not visible from the road! They try to provide some seclusion/buffer/privacy/space from road noise and views.

Audrey
Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I think they would be fun for a couple. However, they also represent a considerable complication to one's life. Some people are fine with that, others more like me really have had it with complications.

Ha
Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

We (I) are thinking about renting an RV to go visit my folks down south over spring break. I've always wanted to do this, and my boys are totally psyched. My wife, however, is less than enthusiastic. She is a bit of a clean freak and likes nice accomodations. I did a quick search and found a place - Cruise America - that seems reputable and is close by. I went out and looked a couple over yesterday. They are a couple years old and plain. About 30 feet long and built over a pickup truck. Remind me of a low-end motel room. Target market seems to be a group of guys heading over to state for football weekend, or Nascar. Very reasonable price. OK for me and the boys, I think, but I'm nervous that the wife and daughter will balk.

I briefly looked more, and saw some that were a few feet longer, and looked nicer - not built over a pick-up but more like a bus, and nicer furnishings.

Anyway, I saw this thread and thought I'd throw my situation out for any advice or insight. I'm in Pittsburgh and will go to South Carolina and back.

Thanks, Xman
Xman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Rich says: 3.
  • A class B SPrinter (loved it, whetted our appetite for something larger so we could spend more time in it).
  • Upgraded to a travel trailer that folded up so we could store it in our city driveway. Loved it, too. After a year or two of use we were confirmed RV enthusiasts.
  • Our current Class A. Meets 95% of our needs, we can stay out for weeks at a time, space, comfort, hauling.
That was our way of learning the lifestyle one expensive step at a time. We know we will not be full-timers, and like to mix rustic state park trips with destination trips (county parks have been great for that: Charleston, St. Augustine, and a couple of others) and are fortunate to live in a state where there are zillions of RV facilities and 12 months of RV weather. Favorite part is the people we seem to meet. Diverse, down to earth, friendly and laugh a lot.
It's been a blast (except for the recent fender bender )

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I suspect that RV lifestyle can be really great for extended periods. Unfortunately, I will not be able to find our for myself until I am able to RE and break this short chain to my wage-slave desk.
However, I would like to research prices for used RVs on the east coast. Probably class A. That gives me a goal to reach for (my brass ring)!
Any suggestions about web sites to visit to look for RVs (like Cars.com or Autotrader.com)?
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Best source for finding the good spots in your general destination area - RV Park Reviews :: Home.

We almost never book more than a week in advance unless we are going to stay somewhere for more than a month, or unless we are RVing in Oregon!
I agree about RV Park Reviews but there are several others that are helpful. -- Google that.

We are very short-term campers (overnight mostly) and 2 to 4 hour notice is what we give... if that. Most times we just show up -- never had a problem.

As far as deciding on the campgrounds themselves, you need something like Woodalls or Trailer Life Directory (Printed version or on-line) which have fairly decent (accurate) scoring systems.

As far as finding the campsites I am partial to:

Streets & Trips coupled with POI Pinsets from places like The POI Factory.

Garmin Nuvi 785t with the above mentioned POIs.

and lately, I am coming to like the 2010 Trailer Life RV Parks and Campground Navigator which is the Streets & Trips-like version of the earlier mentioned directory. It is specific to RV use and is much better than the 2009 version. (It is published by Undertow Software in case you would be interested in a non-RV version.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
" Why I think RVing Sucks."

OK, sucks is a little strong.

I have been considering RVing in retirement. Can get an RV relatively cheap these days as rich retires turn them over quickly and the market overall here is for buyers with $. For example, $100K can get a really nice diesel pusher with all the good options and less than 10,000 miles.

Also, there is a RV park inside town here, along the river wall, that I walk by every day. It seems like its filled with retirees that sit around idle all day. Kinda looks sad.

So is this it...or do some of you avoid these retirement traps and actually really enjoy it? Do really good RV resorts exist...I mean I don't mind paying for a good location, but are there enough users willing to pay a premium to support them?

E86S54
I think this entire post is wasted on an ER board. You'll get much better feedback from an RV board like iRV2 - The Friendly RV Forum Community

Probably should let Andy R know before you post there so that he can throw a few more servers (and moderators) on line...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
Any suggestions about web sites to visit to look for RVs (like Cars.com or Autotrader.com)?
Here are a few in no particular order:

RV Trader® - Fleetwood, Airstream, Winnebago, Keystone, Forest River RVs and More - RVTraderOnline.com
RV Online® Used RVs for sale, Used Motorhomes, RVs, Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Used Campers, and Used RVs
Used RVs and Preowned motorhomes for sale. Search our RV classifieds.
Used RVs, Motorhomes, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes