Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've tried two different clubs—Winc, and Wine Insiders—but canceled both shortly after the initial promotional periods ended. I found the wines being offered were typically much younger, less complex, and much more light/medium bodied than I preferred. Out of a total of maybe 20-30 bottles I ordered between the two, I think I genuinely loved only about two or three. Also, there were far too few wines available from Spain, Italy, and France, which are my favorite regions by far.

I tend to get the majority of my wine from a few online retailers and local wine shops that carry a good selection of full-bodied, rich, complex reds. I'd rather spend $13-20 on a bottle I really like and will savor than $10 on something mediocre from a discount wine club.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Like several others, my wife and I use Naked Wines. The website has a pretty good selection, and the customer reviews are helpful. One can usually find a decent red in the $12 range but, of course, you can spend more. Delivery is pretty quick, although as others have pointed out, UPS requires a direct signature for delivery. That requires us to carefully coordinate when we order so that we are home on the expected delivery date
Singletrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Naked wines
Old 10-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Naked wines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Perfect timing! I've been considering them as they have a great starter discount
I really liked Naked. Good wines etc. did many clubs and liked Naked the best. Especially if you like reds from Lodi etc.
I left them as I can easily go to wine stores and get similar/better and avoid shipping to a work address. I could easily go back, I miss some wines they have. As always, some I avoided. But in all great job and great service. When I lose mobility they will be my go to.
tizod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

At our price point, we don't need a wine club; we joined a wine gang.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post

Wine quality today is probably better than it has ever been. ...
Amen. We've even noticed a difference over the past 25 years. The internationalization of the industry, including proprietors sending their children to other continents to learn and teach, has been a boon at all pricepoints.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #46
Confused about dryer sheets

Access Wine out of California. They offer many good wines from around the world.
Some exclusives with free shipping on any 6 bottles or $120. And a rock solid satisfaction guarantee
bgares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
At our price point, we don't need a wine club; we joined a wine gang.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:37 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

We’ve been members of several clubs over the years. The only real incentive we’ve found is getting wines that aren’t widely available or are almost impossible to get unless you’re a member or perhaps actually visit the specific winery. We have dropped all our clubs and now buy from Total Wine. We have been so much more satisfied with Total Wine...
Old 10-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We have been getting wine from Nakedwines for the past seven or eight months and have been quite happy with it. The wine is tasty and the prices are good. We pick our own bottles and order when we want to, which is usually once per month. Sadly, under our state law, we can only get one case per month. Since we have a bottle of wine with dinner almost every night, that means I also have to go in person to the local Total Wines, which I do on my bi-weekly grocery shopping days.
We have been getting Nakedwines shipments for about 3 months and lime them. We also buy from Wine Insiders when they have a big enough sale.
kflesko is offline   Reply With Quote
Wine Clubs
Old 10-29-2020, 02:59 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wine Clubs

Look into WTSO (wines till sold out) you set up your email and get notifications, if you order at least 4 bottles there is free shipping.
rrs26ja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrs26ja View Post
Look into WTSO (wines till sold out) you set up your email and get notifications, if you order at least 4 bottles there is free shipping.

Great suggestion. I know the wine industry very, very well. I work in it, basically, and am passionate about wine. WTSO is a great source. Another one is Cameron Hughes, owned by Vintage Wine Estates. Google them, try them, and you’ll be hooked.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote