Wish-list for Downsized Home

Something that's important to me is location. I like walking to restaurants, stores, parks, and having a large lot. I barely use my car

I'm tiring of suburban life, and suspect that I won't keep driving as long as my general health would suggest that I can. Nearly 2000 square feet of space on one level with off-street parking outside the door are hard to find in a city, though. :rolleyes:

since the inception of this thread I have changed one more door in the house design to a pocket, the powder room. It makes the room bigger.
Yes this is where we used pocket doors. We have a Jack&Jill bathroom and two bathrooms that share a shower area that have utilize pocket doors. In our old house when we did basement renovation, all of the doors we installed were pocket doors to save space. Have never had one come off the guides. Only issue occasionally seems to be someone closing door hard with locking mechanism engaged and denting receiver. Not a big deal and haven't had to replace one of those yet.

Thanks again for all of the thoughts.

I spent 10 days visiting DS1 at his new house which is a 1958 bungalow with 8 foot basement ceilings. Was great to do work on it and it gave me many ideas of things that would work and those that wouldn't. Also applied some of the ideas here. Including a couple of OldShooter's Brink's door handles. Will be interested to see how they hold up to use by son. He can be pretty tough on things. My only issue with them is that while they might be great for adults, I am wondering if the aren't a little too easy to open for small children.

Last edited:
The condo we're buying is within a short walk to a beignet/coffee shop, Greek, Indian, seafood, donut shop. Neighborhood walmart and Dollar Store next door. Barber across the street, Urgent Care a couple blocks away. And multiple restaurants and stores a few blocks away. And it's a 100 unit gated complex all single story. We were invited to an HOA meeting and met a few neighbors. Think we'll like it.

I say pocket but I think some will be barn doors where it makes sense.

My issue with pocket doors and barn doors is that they let more noise escape. When I added an ensuite to our bedroom I put sound insulation in the wall between bedroom and bathroom. A pocket door needs to recess into a cavity so insulation can't be added. Barn doors by their design don't close tightly and will have gaps for sound to escape.

I say pocket but I think some will be barn doors where it makes sense.
Barn doors are quite trendy right now. My guess though is that in the future a house with barn doors will start to feel somewhat dated. Whether that is a consideration for you is not for me to say.

That is the beauty of modern construction. I have very few bearing walls and door changes are mostly trivial in the scheme of things. The barn door to the powder room would be a total piece of cake to plop a pre-hung 3'0" door into. I will frame it that way :)
The barn doors to my wife's craft room could just go away and leave a 6'0" opening between the dining and what most people will use as a family room or formal living room. it could be widened if desired.

My issue with pocket doors and barn doors is that they let more noise escape. When I added an ensuite to our bedroom I put sound insulation in the wall between bedroom and bathroom. A pocket door needs to recess into a cavity so insulation can't be added. Barn doors by their design don't close tightly and will have gaps for sound to escape.
I don't think that noise between rooms is a big issue for most people... you are unique in that regard. :>)

I figure we're in our forever home. 2500 sq ft ranch, 4 bed, 3 bath, sunroom overlooking our garden that produces lettuce, tomatoes, and various other vegetables all spring/summer/fall. 2 car attached garage, large master with attached bath and walk-in closet. On the opposite side of the house bedroom area for guests and a bathroom, more private for visitors. Large open kitchen/living room, very sunny. The side theater-like room with comfy chairs and a big-screen TV. We know just about everyone in the neighborhood. Have driveway get-togethers. And we're close to shopping. Plus we have the university for sports activities, concerts, etc. Even though it's the Midwest, with no mountains or ocean nearby, we're pretty happy here. We can travel, Chicago is about 2 hours away.

I don't think that noise between rooms is a big issue for most people... you are unique in that regard. :>)

I live in a 855 sq ft condo and noise is an issue. My friend down the hall put barn doors on her guest bathroom and you can hear everything no matter where you are. I have a regular door and you can’t hear what’s happening in the bathroom.

I can't be the only person that doesn't want to hear the toilet flush at 3:00 AM. :LOL:

I built the ensuite myself, so the extra cost for sound insulation was less than $100. For us, it was a no brainer. And it was effective.

I can't be the only person that doesn't want to hear the toilet flush at 3:00 AM. :LOL:

I built the ensuite myself, so the extra cost for sound insulation was less than $100. For us, it was a no brainer. And it was effective.
We have put Safe 'n' Sound insulation in a few interior walls during renos. Not that expensive and quite effective. I spent summers working in a fiberglass insulation plant and was always impressed by the sound deadening properties of sheets of insulation as they went by on the line.

Some hotels I've stayed at recently had barn doors for the bathroom. I don't like them at all there. The gap makes it at least feel like you have less privacy, visually. There's no doubt that more noise and light escapes, especially if your partner is sleeping. And there is the noise of sliding the door itself. A convention door can be opened and shut almost silently if you are careful to keep the handle turned so the latch doesn't snap. A pocket door does make some noise but a lot of it is muffled someone by the wall it is sliding into.

+1 for adding insulation into interior walls. We never had it until our current house. Washer/dryer, TV, noise from adjoining rooms, etc is minimized. It really creates a more soothing environment.

Thanks for the thoughts, there are a couple of walls in the new build that could use it.

I just thought of something that I like in our new house, that could be incorporated into a new build.

We have Hardyplank siding instead of vinyl. Our previous house had vinyl siding, which held up well over the 24 years we lived in the house. However I never realized how noisy it was until we moved to the new house that came with Hardyplank. With the vinyl we always knew when it was windy (from the vinyl rattling). We don’t hear any wind with the Hardyplank. Having 2”x6” exterior framing probably helps in that regard also.

I just thought of something that I like in our new house, that could be incorporated into a new build.

We have Hardyplank siding instead of vinyl. Our previous house had vinyl siding, which held up well over the 24 years we lived in the house. However I never realized how noisy it was until we moved to the new house that came with Hardyplank. With the vinyl we always knew when it was windy (from the vinyl rattling). We don’t hear any wind with the Hardyplank. Having 2”x6” exterior framing probably helps in that regard also.

I've never heard anyone's vinyl siding rattle. Was it poorly installed?

Some hotels I've stayed at recently had barn doors for the bathroom. I don't like them at all there. The gap makes it at least feel like you have less privacy, visually. There's no doubt that more noise and light escapes, especially if your partner is sleeping. And there is the noise of sliding the door itself. A convention door can be opened and shut almost silently if you are careful to keep the handle turned so the latch doesn't snap. A pocket door does make some noise but a lot of it is muffled someone by the wall it is sliding into.

Whenever I think of barn doors I recall how well they worked on "Green Acres."

FYI, saw a documentary where Eddie Albert was interviewed about his experiences during the battle of Tarawa.

"He was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V" for his actions during the invasion of Tarawa in November 1943, when, as the coxswain of a US Navy landing craft, he rescued 47 Marines who were stranded offshore (and supervised the rescue of 30 others), while under heavy enemy machine-gun fire."

Eddie Albert

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone's vinyl siding rattle. Was it poorly installed?

No, it was properly installed. It was nailed through the slots that allow for some movement to account for thermal expansion. But that means movement on windy days.

Vinyl siding installed too tightly may warp/become wavy.

Several people have mentioned selecting lever-type door "knobs." In my post #3 I was just hitting the high spots and didn't mention that for our new house we have installed lever type Brinks "Push Pull Rotate" hardware. Video explains:

We like these a lot. I think we have seven sets. Opening doors is extremely convenient especially with hands full. Truth be told, though, their quality standard is not as high as I would like, We had one exterior (lockset) unit that failed internally. A call to Brinks got a replacement on the way instantly, though. There are another couple of knobs where the operation is a little rough, but I am expecting that to smooth out. Bottom line is I am happy to have these and do recommend them but I would be happier if not for the small hassles.

Old Shooter, I read this after you posted and I'm coming back to it again b/c we need a new back door knob. We were going to install a digital keypad entry like we put on the backdoor at the farm but I love the idea of this one. I'm trying to think through if I could just combine this with a digital keypad...And I'm definitely getting one for my parent's back entry door through their garage. This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing this.

Very cool. We will eventually put up a bunkie at the cottage. Love the tiny homes!

Back
Top Bottom