Join Early Retirement Today

Wish-list for Downsized Home
Old 04-23-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wish-list for Downsized Home

Have been working on our downsizing wish-list and figured that this was a great group to ask for suggestions. I searched the topic and didn't find any threads that really fit.

The question is, 'What items/features/qualities would be on your 'essentials' list when looking for a smaller home to downsize to?'

I realize that many of the answers will be very individual but thought that there would be many good ideas here. If you want to try to put yourself in our place, I can give you a little background so responses could be tailored. Of course, feel free to share any 'non-applicable' items you wish.

Background is that I about to turn 62 and DW is 66, I am largely FIRE'd for 9 years and DW has finally decided to pack in her part-time gig, we are both healthy and active. Four children are 29, 28, 26 and 24. All but the youngest, who is doing a PhD locally have moved out. No grandchildren. Have owned current house for almost 30 years. Way more than we need. Now excess bedrooms and bathrooms, several rooms that we are seldom in, huge walkout basement, cavernous garage, 1 acre lot, pool, creek, lots of yard with mature trees, thirty plus years of accumulated stuff... exhausts me just listing things. Over the years, we have travelled a great deal and have always been content with smaller digs such as the apartments found in Europe. When I was working I'd often get put up in 2 bedroom condos for 1-4 weeks at a time and really enjoyed a more compact living space. The issues I can see with condo/apartment living are: no green space to garden in, being right on top of neighbours, space if grandkids do materialize and the psychology of 'condo fees'. So leaning to a single family home with a small manageable yard but with enough inside space to host family guests.

What would you put on the wish-list? Maybe even consider if you were going to build this house - what features would you want? What would the neighbourhood be like, what would be nearby? Thank for your thoughts.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

A single level home. If you live long enough, climbing stairs becomes an issue.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I would also give consideration to weather. Steep icy walkways in winter lead to slips and falls. A level lot might make more sense for you. Having a condo association responsible for snow removal might be safer and more convenient in later years. Living in a neighborhood with well-plowed streets might be better than off a less well maintained rural gravel road.

If it were me, I would also pay heed to my friends/support network, and stay in an area that I am familiar with.
HawkOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We just built a second/lake home and the best feature IMO is that it is all on one level. (DW has had a hip and a knee replaced and there may be more in the future.) When I say "one level" I mean it literally. There are no steps anywhere, inside or outside. The only obstructions are exterior door sills and these are the door vendor's "low profile" models. The walk-in MBR shower has no sill.

The other thing we did with the house is to design "ADA Light." All doorways are 36" wide and our niece/architect tuned the design by making sure there was maneuver space for someone in a wheelchair.

Glad to hear that you are healthy and active, but WADR old age is coming for you and, unless you plan to move again, I'd suggest that you do a little planning for it.
Old 04-23-2023, 12:56 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkOwl View Post
^ This.

Also, a walk-in shower without curb and with hand-holds. 36 inch wide doors to provide access to bedroom and bathroom. Hallways a minimum of 4 ft wide.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #6

Thanks. I knew this was a great place to ask this!

The stairs thing is interesting and we have considered it. My 'perfect' house is a raised ranch with a level entrance and large 'basement' windows but considering our grandparents who thrived in houses with many stairs into their late 80s and 90s it makes me wonder. Definitely will be looking for a master bedroom with ensuite on the main floor. Big yes on the wide doors and walk-in shower and grabs plus seat.

Thanks OldShooter, yes time passes and we all meet the same fate. I realize that my plan to be ended by a train while doing an Ironman is unlikely to come to pass. We also have a 'cottage' that has the master with ensuite and another bedroom on the main floor and love that layout. There are a few steps in the front door so not level entry and unfortunately the family room is on the lower walkout level so going to be some stairs there. Our old dog is not appreciating those stairs these days.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
... Thanks OldShooter, yes time passes and we all meet the same fate. I realize that my plan to be ended by a train while doing an Ironman is unlikely to come to pass. We also have a 'cottage' that has the master with ensuite and another bedroom on the main floor and love that layout. There are a few steps in the front door so not level entry and unfortunately the family room is on the lower walkout level so going to be some stairs there. Our old dog is not appreciating those stairs these days.
Our house is all on one level as far as DW and I are concerned but there is actually a loft guest bedroom over the garage and an unfinished basement. In both cases I drew the stairs at 36" wide. This is well beyond the minimum width specified by the vendors of the little single-seat electric stair elevators. I think it's very unlikely we'll ever want to install one, but we're ready.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
2 car garage.
1 level ranch, if has a basement, know you may need to put in a stair chair or elevator someday.
Close to medical services, within 20 minute drive.
I help out some older relatives, and they live in townhouses with HOA. While I dislike the idea in general, I have to admit for them (and maybe me later) not having to do anything outside is a benefit. The HOA also takes care of the roof, etc..
Old 04-23-2023, 01:43 PM   #9

Attached two car garage, at the least.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I'll echo the single level. When looking for this house I had already had one knee surgery and my mother had had three knee replacements (she wore one out) so I figured it was a near sure thing I'd need knee surgery of some type again in the future. This house does have a basement, but the only things I have to get to there are the furnace, water heater, etc. and if/when needed those issues can be hired out. And although my knees are still in fairly good shape, at 73 and 66 years of age stairs are becoming more of a challenge for both of us than ever before. Both of us now take a few seconds to consider "What else needs carrying up or down?" before we climb or descend the stairs.

Also the two car garage. We had never owned a house with a garage before and within a few months of moving into this house we were spoiled rotten and swore we'd never again live in a house without a garage. No more heat-soaked car in the summer, no more scraping frost, ice, and snow off in the winter. When I washed the car it stayed clean for a reasonable time. We honestly had no idea of what we were missing! We both have noticed that both vehicles look a lot better being garaged and out of the weather. I had also noticed that at work in a gas station in high school - garage-kept cars looked noticeably better after only two or three years than ones kept outside.

I missed the boat on making the house wheelchair-ready but if I had it to do over again I would. Same with the wider staircase and bathroom modifications that may be needed in the future. It's never going to be cheaper/easier than when the house is being built.

We did think about access to medical care. There's a hospital and a boatload of doctors within 15/20 minutes, and two more hospitals, both equally surrounded by doctors, within 35 minutes in opposite directions.

Regarding weather, I wanted to move someplace where "the only ice I would ever see again would be in my drink" but DW didn't want to go that far from family. Oh well, can't win 'em all.
Old 04-23-2023, 02:23 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
^ This.

Also, a walk-in shower without curb and with hand-holds. 36 inch wide doors to provide access to bedroom and bathroom. Hallways a minimum of 4 ft wide.
All of these, plus the two car garage that was mentioned as well! Mine is not attached but it's only a few feet from my back door, with no stairs to navigate.

I am 74 and the older I get, the less space I need in my house. I have a 1533 sf home, but by now I only really use about 800 sf or maybe even less. I have all of the above except my doors and hallways should probably be a little wider.

Put some thought into what kind of yard requires the least care in your part of the country. You don't want pretty, you want easy-care. Here in hot, sunny, rainy New Orleans, some varieties of grass will grow like crazy with no water or fertilizer. I have a lawn guy to mow and edge once a week, and I have not spent 5 minutes doing yard work in the 8 years since I bought this house. This is good as you grow older and less physically capable than you were during your youth.

I like having a waist high mail slot (lined up with a table inside that the mail falls on). This way I never have to go outside to check the mail.

Ideally one's laundry appliances would be located right by closets and dresser drawers, but if not, in a one story home with no basement you can use a sturdy laundry cart so that you don't have to lug heavy laundry baskets around.

When my ex and I bought our first house I was only 31 years old, but my mother was 71. She told me not to get a house with stairs! I (silently) thought that was silly because I was still young, but actually that was great advice. You never know how long you may stay in the same house until some time has passed.

As far as neighborhood goes, we are just 1-2 miles from the best hospital in the metro area, with all the doctors' offices, imaging facilities, and labs equally close. There are >85 restaurants within a mile of our houses, plus the biggest mall in the metro area too, and half a dozen grocery stores. Yet we are in a completely residential, tree lined, low traffic, small part of the neighborhood next to Lake Ponchartain.

Sorry if I went on and on.. this is one of my favorite topics! And details like we have discussed on this thread, are why my Dream Home is my Dream Home and not just another house. The previous owner was disabled and elderly, and had the house modified to deal with her mobility issues. Perfect for aging in place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 02:30 PM   #12

Currently you have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
1 acre lot, pool, creek, lots of yard with mature trees
With all that I'd just close off the unused rooms and stay put! A smaller home, with a smaller lot, is going to put you closer to neighbors than you imagine, so take review the neighborhood layout, particularly those adjacent to your lot, as well as the typical noises around the place.

For example, you won't want a small one-story home with a two-story behind overlooking your yard. You'll want to look for mature shrubbery for privacy, good fencing, etc. If you have a pool, so will the folks next door and behind. Imagine them all out there having a good loud time when you want to relax and take a nap on the porch.

I have never thought about it in 18 years in the same house until we got a particularly loud family that moved in behind us. Now I know any future home will require having no rear neighbors, and I'll take a good long look at any property next to one I buy.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:10 PM   #13

I've been pondering this same scenario. DW and I have a two story walkout 3,000+ sf home that's simply too big now that the kids are grown and on their own.

* One level living (if possible). Definitely kitchen, living room, and bedrooms on same level.
* 2 bedrooms and an office.
* 2 bathrooms: master bath and main bath.
* Walk in closet in master bedroom. Haven't had this since the early 90's. Currently we have large closets with multiple bi-fold doors in master bedroom. Oddly, one of the kid's bedrooms has two small walk-in closets. In fact, NO BIFOLD DOORS ANYWHERE! Hate them.
* Attached 2+ car garage. I would like a workbench in the garage. Side door on the garage.
* Patio off the kitchen area. French doors, or fixed door with extra window next to it. Sliding patio door would be OK, but least desirable. Piped natural gas BBQ.
* Laundry room near bedrooms, if possible, otherwise a mudroom between garage and kitchen is OK for laundry area.
* Dedicated pantry. We have a large freestanding cabinet style pantry right now, but would be nice to have it as a closet and have an actual door on it.
* At least one lazy susan in the kitchen. Whenever possible drawers instead of cabinet doors for lower cabinet areas.
* Door openers that are not knobs, i.e. lever style door handles.
* I'm gonna need a man cave for my TV/AVR setup. That likely means a basement, unless the office is large enough to serve dual purposes. If I go with man cave in the basement I would need a 1/2 to 3/4 bath in the basement.
* Don't need a fireplace but if I get one, prefer a corner fireplace, not a middle of the wall fireplace. Gas, not conventional fireplace.
* Don't need separate formal dining area but would like a larger eat-in area in the kitchen.
* Vaulted ceilings. Would like a high ceiling on the front entrance, as I don't have that now. Like OldShooter I'd prefer not to have steps leading up to the front door.
* Smart house components--smart garage door opener, security cameras, water leak detectors, light fixtures, door locks, etc.
* Cul-de-sac or non-busy street. No corner lot.

Yeah, I'm probably going to need to build my house new so I can get all the stuff I want on it.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would add to the wish list things like a walking/biking trail nearby. Maybe stores/restaurants within walking distance. A quiet place with a view to have a coffee in the morning and/or a scotch/cigar at night.
qwerty3656 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #15

Large, open area for entertaining family/friends (even if only family on holidays). The rest of the house can be small if you wish, but you will be happy with an adequate family room/great room configuration.
Lots of storage. Many HOA's will not allow storage sheds. Look into 3 car garages to take up the items included in your pre-downsize home. Basements are a option, if compatible with motorized chair if needed in the future. Get a satellite view of the neighborhood-you don't want pools close to your home. Pools equal screaming little kids and teenage nite time parties-no thanks.

Have good friends who spent nearly 18 months shopping for their retirement dream home-bought a two story, all bedrooms upstairs and a small basement. They now are working through a serious medical situation which is affecting ability to climb stairs. Their stairs have a tiny landing 1/2 way up, which is not a good configuration for a motorized chair. They have discussed how the biggest mistake they made was not considering the stair situation-their health was great when they moved in 5 years ago. Good luck.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:15 PM   #16

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Many good ideas. Yes on attached garage and with car plugs. We don't have huge amounts of snow and in fact haven't put vehicles in garage for a couple of years due to having so much stuff in there. My elder son just moved out west so all of his things are now gone and garage has largely been reclaimed. Yes on thoughtful yard. We definitely do not want a pool. I didn't even open it during one of the Covid summers. We did low maintenance landscape at the lake with many, many perennials so looks great and not much to do. Although I do want some things to do! Yes on relatively quiet street, not rural, probably not anywhere without a major teaching medical centre. We don't really have 'gated-communities' or HOAs in Canada but snow clearing not much of an issue for various reasons. Yes on some buffer from neighbours. We really only have one neighbour currently. Lot is 100' x 440' deep and back neighbours are behind a ravine and wood lot and one side has a church quite far from us on a wooded 3 acre lot. House beside us has been same neighbours for entire 30 years and are great so very spoiled on that front.

Aerides - can't see staying put for many reasons. Don't want the pool and creek. Don't want the maintenance. Ridiculous to have 6 toilets and showers/baths to administer. It's just wasteful heating and cooling a place this big for two people.

Qs Laptop - many good points. We do love our fireplaces and that is on our essential list. And believe it or not - wood burning. Gas just doesn't get it done, heat or aesthetics, for us. So this means it will have to be an existing house as new builds can't have wood burning fireplaces.

W2R - please go on and on! Agree on seemingly needing less and less space (and things). Yes on close laundry and cath lab!

qwerty3656 - Yes. We have been spoiled by so much nature nearby - including our backyard. Many walking trails. When you live beside something named 'Cootes Paradise', you know you are probably doing ok. Our cottage also has great hiking of varying degrees of challenge.

Bruce - yes on the great room/dining/entertaining configuration. Also no useless living room!
Old 04-24-2023, 05:42 AM   #17

This will be our second downsizing. First was after we both retired and went from 3500 sqft 2 story, pool, large barn, 1.6 acres to a 45' motorhome. Then bought 1700 sqft in a retirement community. Now we have a 2 story cabin in the mountains where we spend over half the year. Selling the house and buying a 1362 sqft 2 bedroom/2 bath condo in a gated complex. All on single level.
One thought are the emotions of downsizing. It's difficult but more so for your wife to get rid of all of the memories. Go easy.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:48 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Great thread.

IF/when we downsize we're convinced that a small ranch or cabin, 2 br, 1 big kitchen open to the living area and 2 baths, plus a nice covered patio with firepit and out door kitchen is what we want.

We'd also build smaller cabins on the property for guests or when the kids and future grandkids come to visit, so they have their own privacy, as well as us.
Kings over Queens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
... I have never thought about it in 18 years in the same house until we got a particularly loud family that moved in behind us. Now I know any future home will require having no rear neighbors, and I'll take a good long look at any property next to one I buy.
Yep - if the OP is used to space, peace and quiet, and a pleasant setting, then they will need to carefully consider how much they're willing to sacrifice on this front in exchange for downsized senior-friendly living. In my case, my screened porch with a pleasant water view is (almost) priceless.

The conundrum is easy to state: humans - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:01 AM   #20

You might be surprised at what you can find. We downsized 10+ year ago, and our townhome/condo has many of your desires, as noted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I've been pondering this same scenario. DW and I have a two story walkout 3,000+ sf home that's simply too big now that the kids are grown and on their own.

* One level living (if possible). Definitely kitchen, living room, and bedrooms on same level.
* 2 bedrooms and an office.
* 2 bathrooms: master bath and main bath.
* Walk in closet in master bedroom. Haven't had this since the early 90's. Currently we have large closets with multiple bi-fold doors in master bedroom. Oddly, one of the kid's bedrooms has two small walk-in closets. In fact, NO BIFOLD DOORS ANYWHERE! Hate them.
* Attached 2+ car garage. I would like a workbench in the garage. Side door on the garage.
* Patio off the kitchen area. French doors, or fixed door with extra window next to it. Sliding patio door would be OK, but least desirable. Piped natural gas BBQ.
* Laundry room near bedrooms, if possible, otherwise a mudroom between garage and kitchen is OK for laundry area.
* Dedicated pantry. We have a large freestanding cabinet style pantry right now, but would be nice to have it as a closet and have an actual door on it.
* At least one lazy susan in the kitchen. Whenever possible drawers instead of cabinet doors for lower cabinet areas.
* Door openers that are not knobs, i.e. lever style door handles.
* I'm gonna need a man cave for my TV/AVR setup. That likely means a basement, unless the office is large enough to serve dual purposes. If I go with man cave in the basement I would need a 1/2 to 3/4 bath in the basement.We have an unfinished basement with roughed in plumbing for a bathroom.
* Don't need a fireplace but if I get one, prefer a corner fireplace, not a middle of the wall fireplace. Gas, not conventional fireplace.
* Don't need separate formal dining area but would like a larger eat-in area in the kitchen.
* Vaulted ceilings. Would like a high ceiling on the front entrance, as I don't have that now. Like OldShooter I'd prefer not to have steps leading up to the front door.
* Smart house components--smart garage door opener, security cameras, water leak detectors, light fixtures, door locks, etc.
* Cul-de-sac or non-busy street. No corner lot.

Yeah, I'm probably going to need to build my house new so I can get all the stuff I want on it.