Join Early Retirement Today

with fall comes a new routine - what are you looking forward to?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

with fall comes a new routine - what are you looking forward to?

Very new at early retirement. Think each season will give me a different routine. Not like Im going to a friends pool in the winter!

What are you looking forward to in the fall? apple picking? day trips w/no crowds? vacation? hikes w/less heat?
retiringat50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sub-100 degree weather...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Ding ding ding!

We were just looking at the weather report for the next 5 days and it was 94 95 92 92 90 and we both said "wow, cool weather!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't Laugh! I look forward to Fantasy Football every year in the fall. I've been doing it for nearly 15 years now. I'm in one league with former co-workers (the good ones) and another one with family. To do it well it takes up a lot of time, but Football is my favorite sport anyway.
BanDit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

TSW (Tiny Sailing Wench) is starting daycare this fall (she is almost two).
I want to figure out how to take 4 kids to school/daycare on my bike.
Tests, earlier this Spring were only moderately successful:

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Too cute!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I finally got to where it's in the 80s! The warmer weather is nice. Hey - you mean summers almost over? He he - not in TX - summer lasts till November (but I haven't gotten back to TX yet, still in OR).

The thing I look forward to most as the summer comes to a close is way less vacationers - the campgrounds start to empty out. Not nearly so much competition for the good places.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Usually I look forward to cozy fires in the woodstove in the fall. But this summer's been so cool that we've had to have a fire almost every day. 64 in the living room this morning, and I'm in front of the fire now.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

People who are FIRE'd don't take vacations, they take trips.

We'll probably start checking the net for travel bargains for travel after the middle of October when the gardens, are ready for winter.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiringat50 View Post
What are you looking forward to in the fall? apple picking? day trips w/no crowds? vacation? hikes w/less heat?
We look forward to the surf moving from the south shore to the North Shore...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I look forward to apple season. We pick at an orchard by my MILs and I usually turn two bushels into canned apple pie filling and apple sauce.

I also like the disappearance of the tourists in our town and a return to a slower pace. The sky clears up and isn't as hazy, and the light is golden longer. Lovely.

My oldest starts preschool this fall, and I'm REALLY looking forward to that, and to some alone time with my youngest.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm looking forward to returning to univesity (USF) again in the fall, to study (for life enrichment purposes) Spanish and be among all the younger kids who impart their vitality to me (e.g. I'm a mid-40s dirty old man who likes checking out the young ladies -- full disclosure offered here!)
Old 08-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Usually I look forward to cozy fires in the woodstove in the fall. But this summer's been so cool that we've had to have a fire almost every day. 64 in the living room this morning, and I'm in front of the fire now.
Thats incredible. Looks like the Pacific N.W. will be a good place to visit one day during August. Maybe the entire month of August.

As far as Fall is concerned, I'm just looking forward to cooler golf weather and college football.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
TSW (Tiny Sailing Wench) is starting daycare this fall (she is almost two).
I want to figure out how to take 4 kids to school/daycare on my bike.
Tests, earlier this Spring were only moderately successful:

No helmet on the littlest one, tsk, tsk!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Football football football
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #16

Definatly wood stove fires and football. We snow SKIIED thanksgiving last year ... expect to do the same this year.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:50 PM   #17

In the Fall I get a break in the action as far as the gardens go....I just let 'em fade away until Spring. (I don't do Fall 'clean up' in the gardens....I just let things self-compost over the Winter, and then clear the leftovers in March & April.

And since there's NO gardening going on then, I look forward to vacations trips!!! I'm heading for the Northeast in October.....my folks used to go out there every year to visit relatives, and then they'd work their way up to Maine to a little, out of the way motel right on the ocean where they'd just sit and watch the waves and relax. I haven't been out that way, so I'm going to check it out this year with a group I travel with frequently.......that way I don't have to deal with relatives either!

After that I've got a bunch of day trips here-n-there, then we head off to San Antonio for a week. Staying at the Menger Hotel across the street from the Alamo....we were there 2 or 3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves....especially all of the food and the Riverwalk!!! When we return home from there, we prepare to hibernate until we leave for Florida in February. During the hibernation period I'll spend most of my time working on my railroad layout, and planning & plotting for Spring gardening!

Heck, Fall isn't even here yet, and I'm already looking forward to Spring......Gardening, plus a bunch more trips to go on!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Since DW is a recovering educator who could never travel in the Fall, we intentionally go some place where there are no school-age people. This year it's Alaska & the Yukon; more than our usual jaunt, but it'll take care of at least 3 things on the Bucket List.

After that, autumn becomes a time of preparation for winter; putting water toys away, avoiding putting the boat away until mid-October - some of our best boating weather is as the leaves change - then bringing the dock & hoist out of the water, and storing enough nuts and berries to last us until Spring. Some autumn golf, a coupla wine tours, line up indoor projects (this year, one will be converting the vinyl, cassettes & even a reel-to-reel tape to MP3 files), and planning a couple of trips "anywhere south" for early '09.

Goonie - the Menger Hotel was a great choice when we were in SAT two year' ago. Right across the street from the Alamo, and don't miss the ice cream store on the corner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AlamoAtNight.jpg (590.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2008, 05:46 PM   #19

this autumn i might do another leaf peeping trip on the blue ridge parkway (did it two years ago & loved it) and then head up to jersey to see family & friends. it will be nice to be able to put the top down again, since we still have more than two months here left of summer.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy View Post
Goonie - the Menger Hotel was a great choice when we were in SAT two year' ago. Right across the street from the Alamo, and don't miss the ice cream store on the corner.
We enjoyed our stay at the Menger....really enjoyed breakfast in their restaurant....all sorts of goodies to choose from, and the 'made to order' omelets. Spent some free time in the Menger Bar sipping cold beverages and people watching.

Enjoyed a couple of late evening carriage rides. In fact one evening around 10-10:30pm I was out walking past the carriage area, and I got talking to one of the drivers, and she said climb on board and have a seat. So up I go, figuring we're just going sit and chat until a paying customer came along......She tells her horse to move ahead, and off we go for a ride! She was the best guide that I'd had while I'd been there (had 3 or 4 different ones), she pointed out stuff that the others hadn't bother to......and we chatted in between. It's normally about a 25-30 minute ride....we were gone for just shy of an hour. When we got back to the carriage stop, I grabbed for my wallet to pay, and she said "No charge....business was slow and I was tired of just sitting listening to the other drivers' drivel." I still gave her a $15 or $20 tip......she deserved it.

Oh, and we would never miss the ice cream shop......we hit it a few times! We also ate on the riverwalk at the "Republic of Texas Restaurant", as well as another one down there that I don't remember the name of right at the moment, and a few other local places.

The thing I liked best about San Antonio when we were there......it wasn't snowing there like it was back here at home!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote