Working part-time

kz

Recycles dryer sheets
If anyone is working part-time what kind of job are you working? What are the benefits? How long have you been doing this?

Hubby was offered a year round part-time job. He would work an avg 25 hrs every other week. (5 days on at 4-6 hrs, 9 days off) There are no benefits but the job pays $18 hr. (his previous seasonal job paid $8.50) There may be some extra hrs during peak times but during slow times he could probably ask for some extra time off if we wanted to go on an extended vacation. (this from the human resources director who is a friend of mine)

We're looking at all angles before he commits to this job. The income will go directly into Roth IRAs since we have sufficient pensions to cover our living expenses.

What are the pros and cons of the job you're working? What would be the pros and cons of this job?

Thanks.

This isn't exactly the answer to your question, but I am definitely thinking I will work part time after FIRE. I like to have some structure to my days, and think it would be nice to do something fun and keep from tapping the 401K stash a bit. I would think the key question would be if this part time job is something that your DH would enjoy doing. If it's drudgery, then probably no. But if it's something he enjoys, and he likes the environment, and especially if it's flexible, then why not?

And I know some people think, why FIRE if you are planning to work part time? But the main reasons I want to FIRE are to: (1) lose the long commute; (2) lose the high stress of my current job; and (3) to have the flexibility to work or not work.

CJ

I gave my employer my notice in early January and agreed to work Jan & Feb fulltime, then a 3 day part time schedule for some period afterward. They've yet to hire a replacement (an offer is pending) and I've been on the PT schedule for a month now. I'm undecided as to how long I'll do this...my benefits are untouched for the first 6 months of PT, then my medical & dental payments will increase somewhat. My pay is 60% of my fulltime rate, and the 401K & pension continue to grow at 60% of the former rate.

I'm not sure how to look at it just yet...60% of the pay with twice as much weekend, or 60% of the pay and 80% of the dread and anxiety (tomorrow's Tuesday, right? ugh...) I'll see how it goes when my replacement is up and running...maybe then it'll be 60% of pay while on "independent study".

Cb :-\

I'm w*rking part time now--I w*rked about 110 days last year. I'm self employed, so I get no "company" benefits. I did open a "self-employed" 401k last year (also sometimes called a "solo 401K") and contributed a high percentage of my income to that last year.

The money comes in handy--it will help pay for our daughter's schooling as well as some nice-to-do things. I like the work because I am only thibnking about it when I'm actually working--I don't take any stress home with me, no worries about the inbox to ruin my weekends, no etc. And, I enjoy working with the folks I work with and keeping my hand in the game in a line of work I enjoy, but without being consumed by it.

You'll want to give this prospective j*b of for your hubby a close look from all aspects. Will he be stressed out/dreading going back to w*rk when he's off? Will he enjoy the job? What would he be doing if he weren't doing that?

I keep telling me Boss that someday I'm going to ask him to let me telecommute from Thailand.

I'm a software developer so give me a good internet connection and I'm almost as good as there in person. I told him I'd work 20-25 hours per week, pay me $15/hour with no benefits, and we all win... he gets an experienced, productive resource that'll cost him less than the receptionist they have out front and I cover most or all of my living expenses working part time.

I think he's considering it.

I work part time walking dogs three days a week. It's like I get paid for exercising, and since I don't own the agency, if I need to cancel, I can (in fact, at the start, I said I would not walk if it was snowing or the roads weren't clear). I don't have the responsibility of arranging the jobs, just show up and walk. I have 4 regular dogs and it takes about three hours; all done by 1pm. I still get up first thing and walk my own dog too!

I trade this off by still having a house cleaner in every two weeks, since I hate housework and would just never do it.

I put all the money into a Roth IRA - not that it is much.

So, is this job something your husband will enjoy? Will it add any stress or interfere with
other activities? Can he walk away if he doesn't like it?

I work 6 to 10 hours per week (on average) for a start-up company. I choose the weeks, days and hours. They pay me $40K per year, no benefits, but I do get to put the maximum allowable in a 401(k). They give me a laptop computer and send me all over the US and Europe to talk to potential customers and go to conferences. When I travel, I take my DW with me if the location has any tourist interest and we spend extra time vacationing. :)

Well he decided to commit to the new job. He has the option of getting the seasonal job back (that he enjoys) if he doesn't lke the new one. He's not a quitter, though, so I don't see that happening.

There will be some politics involved but he realizes that. I'm sure he can handle it.

It appears as though this is sort of a job share type deal. The other worker already asked him to switch the first two weeks in May which was a better deal for both of them. (previous commitments) It sounds like the other guy is fairly easy to get along with which I'm sure will make hubby more comfortable with the job. He will accrue vacation time but there are no other benefits which is not a problem.

As I stated before the money will be going into our Roth IRAs since it is our only "earned income".

We'll see if this is the win-win situation that we both seem to think it will be. He's doing something he likes and is compensated fairly well for a part-time job in our area.

Back
Top Bottom