Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

3 sets of 5 exercises, curls w/ overhead press, goblet squat, overhead triceps, one arm incline press, one arm dumbbell row. Do 1 set every 3 minutes with treadmill in between - total 45 minutes.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 11:46 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finished the basement project and have access to the gym again. Kept the weight the same but dropped a few sets.

Squats - 3 warmup sets, 4 sets of 15 x 110
Bench press - 3 warmup sets, 4 sets of 15 x 100,
One arm dumbbell rows - 2 warmup sets, 4 sets of 15 x 50
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

124 pushups yesterday.
3 mile run today.
Mr. Tightwad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:46 PM   #84
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cold and slow today. 10 mile and 1,600’ of hill climbing in an hour and 15 minute mountain bike ride.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #85

Today’s workout will contain a trip to Home Depot to pick up fencing materials and concrete. Windstorm last night took out a section of my fencing so my strength and cardio workout today will include fence building.

Too wet for a bike ride and the gym is closed today anyway.
Old 01-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #86

4 sets of barbell curls.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:43 AM   #87

This is a great site. All free. Videos showing all different types of workouts:

https://www.fitnessblender.com/

“The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”—Warren Buffett
FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:05 PM   #88

Did an hour of intervals on the elliptical and strength training today while it rained.

Still very windy and lots of tree debris on the road. No training ride today.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #89
Moderator Emeritus

Didn’t work out today, but have been amping up my hikes. Doing trails with more snowpack, and some with some hills and staircases. And adding more weight(camera gear) to my backpack. I don’t want to hike more than the 2.5 hours that my heated gloves last, so I can only get a better workout by increasing intensity.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #90

Sciatica means my running days are over, so when the weather is nice, I take a 15 lb dumbbell along on a 25-30 minute walk, going as fast as I can while doing curls, shoulder presses, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, shoulder rolls. Though the weight isn't much, after slinging it around for a half hour, I am plenty tired. When the weather isn't good, I do a 90 minute mixed set of stretches for the back and legs, weights and walking on an inclined treadmill.
Exchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:53 PM   #91

With gyms in Oregon closed due to Covid, I had to forego my four to five days a week at the gym doing between 50 to 60 minutes of aerobics on stair climber machines and treadmill, along with some stretching exercises.

I live in the country in a hilly area, so now I walk five or six days a week, five miles a day. Takes me usually 1 hour 35 or 40 minutes to do the five miles. Enough hills to get good elevated breathing and heart rates. I think I actually get better workouts doing this than at the gym.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #92

Hit the gym this morning for an hour of intervals on the elliptical and a core strength workout.

Since weather is so nice, after front yard got a quick mow and blow, spent an hour and a half this afternoon out on a 22 mile bicycle ride with 1,700 ft of hill climbing.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:17 PM   #93

Got out this morning for a 25-mile gravel road bicycle ride, followed by a trip to the gym for an hour on the elliptical doing intervals and a core strength workout.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:27 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Got out this morning for a 25-mile gravel road bicycle ride, followed by a trip to the gym for an hour on the elliptical doing intervals and a core strength workout.
Curious, what is your resting heart rate?
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbA View Post
Some of you do very serious workouts almost at the level of crossfit.
Have you exercised as such intensity all your life or did you develop the love for hard workouts once you retired?

Do any of you use videos like YouTube or DVD's that you follow?
If you have suggestions, I would like to check out especially for women and also not crazy stuff (no plans to buy 20 lb. dumbbells; 8,10,12,15 are good enough for me).
Really interesting question! Looking forward to seeing people's answers, as I was wondering the same thing.

Re: videos, I highly recommend FitnessBlenders.com. Their videos (played on YouTube but best accessed through their website) are free, with good selection criteria to filter to find what you want. And they're really well done, engaging and emphasize good form and going at your own pace. You can pay a nominal amount for 'programs' that compile various videos into a package that you can schedule on a calendar. I've done their "FB Strong" and "FB Mass" month-long programs for strength training and love them! It feels so good both physically and mentally, and I can tell my strength has improved.
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:14 PM   #96
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
This is a great site. All free. Videos showing all different types of workouts:

https://www.fitnessblender.com/
+1. In their strength training videos with weights they emphasize "super sets", where you're doing compound movements or otherwise mixing things up rather quickly, so it ends up being almost a cardio workout as well. You get a lot of workout packed into a relatively short amount of time (30-40 min). My focus has been building strength with weights, but the HIIT and Pilates/stretching videos I've tried have been great too.
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:36 PM   #97

4 sets of bicep curls and 91 pushups
Old 02-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbA View Post
Some of you do very serious workouts almost at the level of crossfit.
Have you exercised as such intensity all your life or did you develop the love for hard workouts once you retired?

Do any of you use videos like YouTube or DVD's that you follow?
If you have suggestions, I would like to check out especially for women and also not crazy stuff (no plans to buy 20 lb. dumbbells; 8,10,12,15 are good enough for me).
I'm also beyond age to test risky exercises to avoid unnecessary inflammations. E.g. I stopped doing jumping lunges for that reason a few years ago.

Here's a great workout for dumbbells. Each exercise works a variety of muscles.

Old 02-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Here's a great workout for dumbbells. Each exercise works a variety of muscles.

Not a bad video, I like they're all compound movements and that he put Farmer's Walk in there...one of my favourites, I sometimes do it involving stairs for a better leg workout. Personally, I wouldn't bother with #3 (forget what it was called) and #6, single dumbbell presses.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Not a bad video, I like they're all compound movements and that he put Farmer's Walk in there...one of my favourites, I sometimes do it involving stairs for a better leg workout. Personally, I wouldn't bother with #3 (forget what it was called) and #6, single dumbbell presses.
I do a version of this workout every other day. I like the fact that it has a lot of compound movements. Farmer's walk is one of my favorites, but I scrapped it for a while after foot surgery. Ready to get back into those. Good idea doing them on stairs.

#3 is Dumbell pullovers - basically triceps pullovers, but laying on a bench. Must be great for the abs - I tweaked an ab and had to do standing pullovers for a while

#5 thrusters is a killer. So is #1 curl and press. Both get heart rate going. Maybe the press part does that. I had to quit #5 for a while, but I'm ready to get back doing them.

I've been doing this workout mixed in with walking on a treadmill. Walk 3 minutes, do a set, walk until 6 minute mark, do a set, etc etc. Great workout.