Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Worried About My Future FIRE Life
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello all. A huge part of FIRE planning is deciding how you want to spend that time, or at least that's what I've gathered here over the years. I'm only 29, going on 30. With my current plans, I should be eligible for retirement at age 50, and I can decide if I want to keep working or not at that point.

I have always dreamed about retirement. That freedom to do whatever you want. I dream of waking up on a rainy day late in the morning, going to the living room to watch the news and drink some coffee with no real intentions on doing anything.

This is my personality. I do love to do stuff, don't get me wrong, but I also love to do NOTHING some days and just not be bothered. Maybe watch movies all day or binge on a new series.

My wife is completely incapable of doing that. But not only that. She is incapable of watching me do that! She would lay the guilt on thick or act irritated until we have a plan for the day or start our day. "You can't just sit around all day, the house needs cleaned or <INSET ANY CHORE HERE>" I am really worried that after working all these years and planning for retirement, it won't be what I want because of our personality differences. I guess I really don't know what to do about it. It certainly can't be a reason for divorce, but I also don't want to be unhappy in the years I should be living the "dream" right?

I feel like I can totally respect the fact that she wants to go-go-go all the time. Great! Go for it! I won't be upset. I won't try to stop her. But I would only ask that if I want to move like a sloth from time to time, to let me be! Any perspectives that could help me with this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get a divorce?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Have you talked to her about this and tell her what you would like to see happen. I can say I have a great wife that way. I do my things and she does her things and we don't have to be with each other all the time. I have never told her she can't do what she wants and she never has told me you need to stay home and do that or this.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Guy View Post
...I'm only 29, going on 30. With my current plans, I should be eligible for retirement at age 50, and I can decide if I want to keep working or not at that point...
You still have 20 years to work out this problem. I am sure there will be a solution or some compromise.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

After being married for 38 + years, you have a long long way until this problem comes up. She might want to do the same after working 20 or more plus years. Just wait and see would be my advice.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps you could find a hobby or volunteer position that would fill your time.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Or you could end up like the guys who buy a coffee every day, drive to the park and read the paper in your car till noon.

As noted, a lot can change in 20+ years from now.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ditto the other responses. Here is my 2 cents addition:

A lot will change in your relationship, some good, maybe some bad. Work at the relationship, and she will likely do the same.

As a female in a 32 year marriage, if you "take ownership" of a few pieces of housework where she never has to do them, she will consider you the best husband ever. Pick a few things that can be done on your schedule that are onerous. Cleaning all the sinks or all the toilets for example. Take care of all the trash. Or own the vacuuming. These are things that need doing by someone, but not every day. If she doesn't have to nag you and it is visible, she will understand that you aren't treating her as your maid, and you are not handing her the responsibility of telling you what to do.

By choosing proactively to do a couple of the more onerous chores, you choose when you do them and you get your "do nothing" time.

Also, by the time you get to age 50 you will not be thinking the same way or doing the same things. You will still be you. Yet you will grow, evolve, and will gain some wisdom during that time. She will too.

Let her know you need some down time to think and recharge. That might also help.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Side note: Do these things up to the other person's usual standards. Don't claim "credit" for something the other person will just have to do over. Goes for women as well as men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
if you "take ownership" of a few pieces of housework where she never has to do them, she will consider you the best husband ever.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have been married to the same man for 30 years. At first, there were behaviors we didn't like in each other. So we complained, and got the other person to change what could be changed. Some of these, by the way, were long-held behaviors that were defended as, "Well, it never bothered Spouse No. 1!" [we were both married before]. Note: Previous spouses should never be used as excuses for anything. Reasons, maybe, but not excuses! That's a rule.

We did this for each other because we loved each other and wanted to stay married. In the end, we both had to accept certain things that couldn't be changed, but at least we got them out in the open and discussed them. With age, little sticking points tend to multiply, so get in the habit of getting them out there in the daylight; don't stew over them, and don't assume the other person "will never change" until they tell you so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Guy View Post

My wife is completely incapable of doing that. But not only that. She is incapable of watching me do that! She would lay the guilt on thick or act irritated until we have a plan for the day or start our day. "You can't just sit around all day, the house needs cleaned or <INSET ANY CHORE HERE>" I am really worried that after working all these years and planning for retirement, it won't be what I want because of our personality differences. I guess I really don't know what to do about it. It certainly can't be a reason for divorce, but I also don't want to be unhappy in the years I should be living the "dream" right?

I feel like I can totally respect the fact that she wants to go-go-go all the time. Great! Go for it! I won't be upset. I won't try to stop her. But I would only ask that if I want to move like a sloth from time to time, to let me be! Any perspectives that could help me with this?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 06:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
After being married for 38 + years, you have a long long way until this problem comes up. She might want to do the same after working 20 or more plus years. Just wait and see would be my advice.
1+
Many times, people who love their jobs later form new opinions due to changes in management, companies being bought out, or the mental/physical stress that accumulates over the years. Other things are not so obvious: many times (since ER) my DW has commented on no longer having to drive in snow storms to report in to work and being able to totally relax on "vacations" without job worries.

Keep saving/investing and working your plan. Let time do the heavy lifting on changing your wife's opinion on ER.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Well, you are back with another spouse issue! Could the problem still be that you have 2 very young children and do shift work?
I'm guessing that the things she mentions do need to be done and saying your wife is incapable of "binge watching" TV all day is a slam on her. Why don't you hire a cleaning lady..then both of your could have some free time? Oh wait that would interfere with your retirements savings.

I'm going to ask you the same thing I asked last time when you were wondering if you should divorce her because she wouldn't let you "relax" when you had an 18 month old and a 6 week old baby,What is with your obsession over what you will do when you are retired in 20 years?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Keep the marriage healthy and never use the "D" word again. You have a long time before retirement takes place. My DW is a classic ADHD who was worried about what to do in retirement. Now that she's retired she loves it. We travel a few times a year, we're also snowbirds with a place in PA and in FL. I've always helped with household chores and carry my load, so no issues there. We're going through a period of parental care issues that I help with but am careful not to push what should be her family's decisions. I get plenty of time to chill and relax and after a long career and she is enjoying that time too. We recently renewed our wedding vows and are closer than ever. All I can suggest you do now is concentrate on saving, investing, controlling expenses and planning long term finances. That will give you options when you do retire where you both can be happy. Talk these things over with her and keep her involved in your financial planning and listen to her concerns. Most of all take time to nourish your marriage. Children can often make people forget that is important. Good luck and God Bless.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Ditto the other responses. Here is my 2 cents addition:

A lot will change in your relationship, some good, maybe some bad. Work at the relationship, and she will likely do the same.

As a female in a 32 year marriage, if you "take ownership" of a few pieces of housework where she never has to do them, she will consider you the best husband ever. Pick a few things that can be done on your schedule that are onerous. Cleaning all the sinks or all the toilets for example. Take care of all the trash. Or own the vacuuming. These are things that need doing by someone, but not every day. If she doesn't have to nag you and it is visible, she will understand that you aren't treating her as your maid, and you are not handing her the responsibility of telling you what to do.

By choosing proactively to do a couple of the more onerous chores, you choose when you do them and you get your "do nothing" time.

Also, by the time you get to age 50 you will not be thinking the same way or doing the same things. You will still be you. Yet you will grow, evolve, and will gain some wisdom during that time. She will too.

Let her know you need some down time to think and recharge. That might also help.
Well said..
When I retired groceries were DW'S most hated chore. Took those over and all the cooking too. Most days I'm told I'm a pretty good guy.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

You are telling us the same story as last time. You can change only one person and it's not your DW. If you seriously think you and she will not be on the same page in 20 years (personally I can't remember what page DH and I were on 20 years ago--but probably not even in the same book--and when we had very small children we would have killed each other for watching movies all day; seriously? these are not the years either of you get to do that), maybe you should start unwinding your marriage now.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am in my mid 40s. I will tell you that in some ways I am the same person I was 20 years ago, but in other ways I am very different. A lot will change by the time you are nearing eligibility age. I don't think I would spend a lot of time worrying about it in the next 15 years. Better you should do a more proficient job at enjoying yourself while accumulating assets than I did.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #17

I think you need to spend less time wondering whether or not you will want to work in another 20 years, and more time attending to the present.

Currently, how much time do you spend helping with the children, and cleaning the house?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:40 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Why endure a nagging wife?
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLake View Post
Why endure a nagging wife?
Gonna need a flame proof suit for that one Since when is wanting ordinary household chores done "nagging". BTW I hate that word in my mind it's interchangeable with the B word.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #20

ATC guy, I could have almost written that post. I had a very hard charging career, did well for myself and for my family, retired at 51, now 55.

First question, every day, from my DW: "what's your plan today?" Some days, my reply is "I dunno, what do you have planned for me?" Other days, I ask, "is it ok not to have a plan today?" You get the picture. Some spouses are that way. Mind you, I'm no lazy bum. I'm usually fiddling with some project or another (which is one reason I've been absent here so much in the past couple years), but most of those are outdoor projects. She runs the indoor stuff, incl her crafting. Some days though, I just want to chill, because I'm tired, or didn't sleep well, or whatever...but she wants to be go-go gadget.

No need for the big D or anything like that. But, you and she will need to come to understand that each of you has a different approach to keeping busy (or not), every.single.day... Besides, you are 29. I imagine she is around there as well. Someday, she'll likely slow down a bit as well.

BTW, does she every stop, or at least slow down, to smell the roses?