Join Early Retirement Today

WORST JOB
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WORST JOB

when a buddy made a comment that he thought he had the worst job i gave some thought as to what may actually be "the worst job".....
* ever notice on the wrapper of a johnson and johnson rectal thermometer it says "EACH ONE INDIVIDUALLY TESTED"* * *there ya go folks ,thats got to be the worst job.........anyone got any others?
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: WORST JOB
Old 05-19-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are certain jobs that I would not consider to make a living: roofer, toliet cleaner, short-order cook in a hot steamy kitchen (w/o air conditioner), dish washer (no automatic washing machine), sewage cleaning, coal minner..
Old 05-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

http://www.memorabletv.com/tvpreview...sinhistory.htm

i'm going to go with the people who collected dog feces.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Septic tank cleaner...now that's a sh**** job.... :P *Almost any job on the show "Worlds Dirtiest Jobs" fits the bill.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Here are some funny onesfrom another site.* The line I love is* You know, you had the opportunity work your way up just like me and earn $5.00 an hour."* The one about the crazy psycho woman who took vacation 6 months out of the year just kills me.

I was 18 and got a second job at McDonald's so I could work with my friend.* My primary job was at an office, so I really worked there for fun (or so I thought).

A little kid, around 12 or so, would come in every day and order food from me.* Once I gave him the food, he would cancel his order.* This happened about 5 times.* I asked the manager if it was ok for me to refuse service to this little boy.* He said yes and just send the kid to a different line.

The day comes where I refused his service.* This little punk reaches over and grab my boobs!* *So I reach out to throw a punch at him, but the dumb cash register is in the way.* The kid walked away laughing.* I looked at the manager and asked him for help and he basically told me to get over it.*

I walked away from the register and he told me that I couldn't leave.* I said "just watch me."* I walked out.* I only lasted there two weeks.*

The funny part of it was, I was making around $7.00/hr at my office clerk job (this was 1989. Minimum wage was $3.35).* The manager said, "You know, you had the opportunity work your way up just like me and earn $5.00 an hour."* I just laughed at him and handed him his uniform.

First* Previous* 12-30 of 40* Next* Last* *

Recommend* *Message 12 of 40 in Discussion* *

The worst job I had was when I was 12ish.* I helped a family friend's father by crawling under a house and digging the dirt out from underneath.* There was supposed to be a 1' clearance, but there was only 8" instead.* Because I was small framed...somewhat, I was given a troul and for hours I would push dirt.* I did wear a dust mask, but it didn't work very well when your head is nearly lodged between the dirt and the floor beams.* I did it til the job was done.* I made good money doing it.* It was $5/hour for a 12 yr old...that was great.* I never did get an allowance from my parents and had to work for every cent I earned.* It was good to have spending money after a long saturday's work digging.* man was I dirty!* always...

Recommend* *Message 13 of 40 in Discussion* *

oops, I forgot...when I worked at DisneyWorld, there was a boy who walked in sicker than a dog at nervous or Bee's vet shop.* He must have been way constipated because he threw up...but it wasn't throw up food, at least now what you'd expect.* It was diarhea...thick black stinky stuff.* I had to clean it up as the bus boy on duty.* I had to take an hour break after it was cleaned and til this day, I still feel like hurling when I think about it...yuck...why bring your kid to such a place if you know he's sick like that...gross.

Recommend* *Message 14 of 40 in Discussion* *

The worst job ever was a cashier at Mrs Fields.* Not only did my clothes get tight from all the cookies & brownies, but my boss was an absolute LECH! The last straw was when my boss came to work drunk and 'offerered' to eat cookie dough....off my body!* CHRIST!* Is was only 16 and he was pushing 40!!

Recommend* *Message 15 of 40 in Discussion* *

Of course, I grew up on a pig farm. The jobs I had to do there would trump just about anything you folks could come up with.

Recommend* *Message 16 of 40 in Discussion* *

I passed out flyers around the neighborhood. Few hundred houses a day.

Recommend* *Message 17 of 40 in Discussion* *

My first job in a research lab I needed to take care of the research subjects - frogs and worms (actually, some sort of larvae).

The frogs lived in a bathtub with a screen door over it.* There were 2 tubs in the facility, I had to force feed the frogs a chunk of liver with a guitar pick then transfer them to the clean tub.* Once all the frogs were in the clean tub, I had to clean the one I transfered them from.* I needed to do something similar with the larvae, but this was worse as I HATE bugs of all sorts.

I never knew frogs could make such a mess.* *

Recommend* *Message 18 of 40 in Discussion* *

test

Recommend* *Message 19 of 40 in Discussion* *

Janitor in a large convention center. Worst memories - the cat show. Dear g0d - the smell of hundreds of cats pissing can kill. Cleaning up the sh*t fights - on more than one occassion, I'd have to deal with the aftermath of what I can only describe as a sh*t fight in a restroom.

Recommend* *Message 20 of 40 in Discussion* *

Do tell nervous....

* 0 recommendations* *Message 21 of 40 in Discussion* *

Sent: 5/18/2006 2:24 PM
This message has been deleted by the author.

Recommend* *Message 22 of 40 in Discussion* *

The worst job I ever had was when I was 20-21.* I worked for this crazy psycho woman who took vacation 6 months out of the year and never came to work before about 1 p.m. in the unlikely event that she was not on vacation.* I had to be there at 8:30 every morning to answer the phones, but when I would go to leave at 5:30, she would say, "Where are you going?* We've only been here for about 4 hours."* WTF?* Just because SHE had only been there four hours, she thought everyone else had only been there four hours.

The worst was when she would go on vacation and then come back and not let anyone go anywhere (even to the doctor) for months because "too much vacation has been taken this year".* Funny part is, she was the only one who took vacation days!!!!

I have many more stories about her, but I'll probably leave it at that so nobody figures out who she is.* Arghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!* I have never been so stressed as I was when I worked for her.* Even when I think back on it, my heart starts racing and I feel nauseated and I get all upset.

* 0 recommendations* *Message 23 of 40 in Discussion* *

Sent: 5/18/2006 2:25 PM

Recommend* *Message 24 of 40 in Discussion* *

Pumped gas just outside Phila. city limits when I was 16 to 18.* * A big black guy pulled in one night just before our midnight closing wearing a ski mask (and asked for a fill-up).* The odd part was I recognized the guy (from his beat-up van) as a semi-regular customer.* I really thought I was gonna get robbed but he paid and left.* I quit shortly after that incident.* It was also a dirty & unhealthy job.* *

* 0 recommendations* *Message 25 of 40 in Discussion* *

Sent: 5/18/2006 3:01 PM

Recommend (1 recommendation so far)* Message 30 of 40 in Discussion* *

Foxy, let's just say that a ten-year old shouldn't have to castrate piglets, or stick his hand up the hind end of a farrowing sow...

And don't get me started on the times I had to unclog the drain for the manure pit.

Garbage man.* I took the job one summer to save money for the next semerester of college.* I believe I lasted a 2 weeks.* Riding on the back of a smelly garbage truck was horrible.* Unlike the well paid city workers, I worked for an private company that paid just over minimum wage.

I primarly picked up garbage in the suburbs and the grass bags were BIG and HEAVY.* The straw that broke the camels back was working 11 hours straight in the rain.* The next morning I called in and quit.

Recommend* *Message 10 of 40 in Discussion* *

I worked at a small veterinary clinic when I was 15. My job was to assist with the animals that had been boarded. I had to clean cages, give walks, give baths etc. for $3.50 per hour and payday was once a month. There were seven people who work with the Vet. and all of them thought they were my boss and whatever they wanted at the time was the most important thing. I saw all sorts of crazy stuff - an elderly dog named Trouble that had cataracts and was incontinent and dripped constantly and spent his entire life in a cage, there were dead pets in a freezer, a dog being put to sleep that wouldn't die. As a child I wanted to be a veterinarian because I love animals. This experience cured me quickly. When they asked me to come in on the 7th day in a row because the animals still needed to be taken care of I walked out.

rec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I also grew up on a pig farm, but never did I have to "stick my hand up the hind end of a farrowing sow..." Think they got the wrong hole....stupid farmers don't even know where the exit is...must be from Iowa....Just kidding Iowa, former Minnesotan here, just keeping up with the tradition...still love ya...
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
Old 05-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, according to Garrison Keillor, Minnesotans stick their head up that same hole! Funniest episode I ever heard!
Old 05-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Yeah, according to Garrison Keillor, Minnesotans stick their head up that same hole!* Funniest episode I ever heard!
Oh all right, I deserved that... :P
Old 05-19-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

At age 18 I worked as an Orderly in a county hospital. Ever dug sh@t out of another human being? Enemas until clear for surgery patients, urinary catheters inserted, cleaning up patients who could not stop crapping themselves, restraining patients in the Psyc. ward, and taking the dead to the morgue. We would rotate from area to area on a daily basis. One night surgical floor, the next Psych., the next the neuro. floor, and then the Emergency Room. Picking maggots off of drunks was one of the hight points. I was shot once, nearly stabbed three times, struck with a chair, kicked, punched, spit on, bleed on, puked on, crapped on and then treated like sh*t by the doctors and nurses because I was only an Orderly. All for $5/ hour.

It was a very quick end to my childhood.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

One day? Well, technically about 36 hours-- Command Duty Officer on a submarine trapped inport by an active volcano and a tropical storm.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:40 PM   #11

One summer in high school I worked for an environmental services company. My job was to sample waste water at various industrial plants. I got to visit Zacky Farms, for example. Watch the movie "Meet Your Meat" if you'd like a feeling for that place.

The worst one I recall was a milk bottler. Milk is *very* nutritious. It'll make you grow big and strong.

Anyway, I lowered my sampling machine into their waste water outlet. And then I saw the cockroaches. GIANT cockroaches. I swear they were the size of bunny rabbits.

Hmm, in retrospect, it was acutally pretty cool.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing to compare, but I worked at a little painting place in L.A. Kid's would come in, buy a Plaster of Paris item and sit at a table and paint it. We also had a back room for birthday parties. Now being L.A. and near "that part of town" we had a few celebrities come in. Christian Slater's little brother had his birthday party there etc. Having 30 bratty kids treat you like s**t for 2 hours because a relative/friend was in a movie, and have their parents in turn treat you like s**t because if they're little angel is mad at you, you must have done something horrible! All for 4.25 an hour.

In a different way, being a UPS unloader was my worst job. I was desperate for money (sleeping on a friends living room floor, estranged from parents at the time) and the flyer said, "make 8 bucks an hour!" which was a king's ransom compared to my 4.25.

The wearhouse was cavernous, loud and dank. Floor manager screams at you constantly, had to unload 1300 packages an hour, and one of my biggest "clients" was American Rivet Company, who loaded their boxes right up to the one person lift limit of 70 lbs. Drop a couple of those on your feet, catch a couple thousand of those as they get tossed to you, and even though you are exhausted at the end of the shift, you don't sleep cuz' of the pain.

Oh, and Teamsters took 25% of my take home for the first 3 months.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I was... struck with a chair, kicked, punched, spit on, bleed on, puked on, crapped on and then treated like sh*t...
Are you sure you aren't just talking about your expereinces in parenting?

Old 05-20-2006, 06:20 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Worst job I ever saw was in the Philippines. Simple really . . . just stand outside the front door of a bank all day holding a shotgun. You never move more than 10 feet, you can't sit down, and you stand out in the hot tropical sun, while people with at least some money (which you don't have 'cause you probably only earn about $1.00/day) go into an air-conditioned bank to transact their business. Yeah, forgot, you have to be polite to the customers and bank robberies are common.

I'm sure there are worse jobs, but I wouldn't last a day in this one.
GMueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At age 18 I worked as an Orderly in a county hospital.* Ever dug sh@t out of another human being?* Enemas until clear for surgery patients, urinary catheters inserted, cleaning up patients who could not stop crapping themselves, restraining patients in the Psyc. ward, and taking the dead to the morgue.* We would rotate from area to area on a daily basis.* One night surgical floor, the next Psych., the next the neuro. floor, and then the Emergency Room.* Picking maggots off of drunks was one of the hight points.* I was shot once, nearly stabbed three times, struck with a chair, kicked, punched, spit on, bleed on, puked on, crapped on and then treated like sh*t by the doctors and nurses because I was only an Orderly.* All for $5/ hour.*

It was a very quick end to my childhood.*
Wow Steve!!!! You win!

I was thinking to choose King Crab Fisherman, cause I can't imagine being seasick under their horrible, brutal and dangerous fishing conditions, but I think your orderly job beats that!

Audrey
Old 05-20-2006, 07:52 AM   #16

I have a friend that spent two seasons hauling in King Crab traps, not so nasty but definately dangerous.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

One of my first lead engineers at Boeing once had a job throwing chickens into a jet engine to simulate bird strikes. Messy business all around.

All in all - I vote for SteveR - none of mine were that memorable.

heh heh heh
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 08:28 AM   #18

I used to work at a fire hydrant manufacturing company. The job wasn't bad, but finding a parking spot was a bitch.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
At age 18 I worked as an Orderly in a county hospital.* Ever dug sh@t out of another human being...It was a very quick end to my childhood.*
i was just about to regale tall tales of jobs i undertook when my parents cut me off from allowance i struck out on my own to get more money for personal drug use start my own personal financial empire, but your story sure stopped that in its tracks. yup, i agree with audreyh1, you win.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #20

Worst job I ever had was as a minimum wage caretaker of the Psych Lab rat colony in college. This was in the days of Skinner boxes and operant conditioning so every Psych student had a rat to run experiments on. The feeding and watering was not so bad (cleaning out the cages was no picnic) but sometimes a male rat would get into a cage with a female. A few weeks later there would be unexpected rat pups that would frequently be partially eaten. The absolute worst was at the end of the semester when all but a few breeders would have to be destroyed. This was long before the days of animal rights so the approved method was grab each rat by the tail (trying not to let the bugger bite you) and sling it into a 50 gallon trash can. When you had about 100 rats in the can, dump in a few ounces of ether, put the lid on and wait until the scrambling and scratching sounds stopped. Then you put the bodies into a trash bag and put them in the dumpster. Not the kind of duty I enjoyed just before heading home for the holidays but it was the only job the college had to offer me and I really needed the money.

Grumpy