Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'm pretty sure that no one in the subsequent generations of my own family ever will care about my memories of life.
I don't know, I have a great uncle who had no children, but he left a collection of his letters written to his folks, his sister (my grandma), and his future wife while he served in WW II in Australia and New Guinea. They are fascinating and I'm glad he saved them.

I have an ancestor who was born in Western Massachusetts and took the Erie canal with her family to migrate to Ohio. Later in life she wrote about that journey and the first year at their homestead where they almost starved to death because of a killing frost that wiped out their crops.

Personally, I don't think the format is that important. They key is to write things down (or record audio). Preserve the memories.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been working on the same thing, in concert with my oldest sister who lives several states away. We are making great progress sharing chapters back and forth. Since she is 7 years older, her memories are different or more in-depth than mine, esp the early years. It has brought us closer, sharing those memories, some good, quite a few painful. It will be my job to put it all together, and a few pics, and distribute to the relatives that might be interested. She has significant health issues, so I want to get it a somewhat final form to give to her in the next year or so. A worthwhile project, for sure. I agree it should be a living document.
Time2re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:38 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2re View Post
I have been working on the same thing, in concert with my oldest sister who lives several states away. We are making great progress sharing chapters back and forth. Since she is 7 years older, her memories are different or more in-depth than mine, esp the early years. It has brought us closer, sharing those memories, some good, quite a few painful. It will be my job to put it all together, and a few pics, and distribute to the relatives that might be interested. She has significant health issues, so I want to get it a somewhat final form to give to her in the next year or so. A worthwhile project, for sure. I agree it should be a living document.
Sounds like a nice experience. I'm thinking it would be a good idea for me to ask for some input from others as well. True, we all have different memories and experiences.
gattara is online now   Reply With Quote