Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Looking at that map tool, Nevada is a big open space, except Vegas.
Here in L.A. County it says there are 4 level 1 centers.
There is a level 2 center at the hospital that is less than a 10 minute walk from home.
I guess if you need it you are not walking there though.
Would that be Northridge Hospital? Oh memories…. One of my first nursing jobs and where I was trained in Labor and Delivery. I lived 5 minutes away down Reseda Blvd in an old not so nice 1 bedroom apt for $485/ month while my now ex lived in Warner Center and paid 815/ month. 30 years ago, how time flies.
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I think people set themselves up for failure by declaring homes as "forever", because needs and wants change. So do neighborhoods.

And yes, one medical scare and you take note of how long the paramedics might take to arrive...

For now I enjoy being close to nice shopping and restaurants, multiple airports - that might be less of a priority in 20 years. I can imagine I'll tire of neighbors with young kids as well... in far less time!
I never understand when people say they're never going to live somewhere else, or this is the last car they'll own or something like that (unless they know their time on this earth is short, of course). Who knows what the 10 years-from-now version of me will love or hate? I expect -and hope- to continue growing and changing to some degree for the rest of my life. How can I possibly be certain of my tastes or needs that far out? The 10 year-ago me certainly wasn't as smart or sophisticated, and had completely different ideas about many things (though he was a little better looking). I'm glad he didn't get to choose everything about my life today, much less another decade down the road.

This is essentially discussing a well-understood but relatively recently described psychological fallacy known as the End of History Illusion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-of-history_illusion
Extra Medium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ that right there is why I want to move! Our reasons for this home were to take care of DW's parents. They have been gone 21 years now.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:27 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We sold our "forever" home. We had downsized when we didn't need the huge house any more. The "forever" home was a great house (I still like thinking of it). But, 6 years later our situation had changed. We had bought the house because we needed to be on an acre with not pet limits as we had several large dogs (plus the indoor cats). But, the dogs aged and slowly started passing away. Then, one day, we realized we could actually live in a regular subdivision.

The trade off for that acre had been that were 20 minutes from any grocery store, 45 minutes from major shopping. I didn't like the thought of when we were older and had to do that much driving.

We also no longer had to stay in that area due to work or kid requirements. So, we decided to sell that "forever" home to meet something that better meets our needs.

DH hates moving (his dad was in the Navy and he moved a lot as a child). He is big into the idea that our current home is our "forever" home. Me? I'm not so much into forever homes. I think that if your needs and wants change it is totally fine to move. We've been in our current house a little over 3 years. I actually love this house and love this location (many grocery stores less than 10 minutes away). But, you know, if what I needed or wanted changed in the future, I would move. I wouldn't be frivolous about it, but could do it.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

My neighbor and golf partner was in his "forever home" for the last 7 years (like us) and now he is in an assisted living facility after his bad stroke a month ago.

Unless a miracle happens, he won't be my neighbor again. Since his wife is handicapped (like mine is), and can't take care of herself, she will be moving once the kids try to figure out what to do with her. Right now, they are using home health care aids to help her, but that's costly and not a great solution.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:23 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

We recently moved to a new townhome in the community were we have live for 23 years. I had wanted to move to the city (Pgh) yet after many calculations for travel time I realized the the commute time in the city to local city hospitals was 15-20 minutes. From were we live the city Hospitals are 30 minutes and our local high quality hospital is 15 minutes. I am thankful for math.
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
We recently moved to a new townhome in the community were we have live for 23 years. I had wanted to move to the city (Pgh) yet after many calculations for travel time I realized the the commute time in the city to local city hospitals was 15-20 minutes. From were we live the city Hospitals are 30 minutes and our local high quality hospital is 15 minutes. I am thankful for math.

Jakob, This makes sense to me other than perhaps “stairs” in a townhouse.
I read the article and it seems to me that the examples used were all people who made decisions to make big moves (far from areas they lived in or knew much about) without adequately exploring/ researching all of the factors necessary.
As I’ve stated in other threads here, being close to our kids and grandkids in the area we live now is the most important factor of where we will live in retirement. As others have also said it “we’re not going anywhere”.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
My former across the street neighbor was my boss, years ago. He retired and moved to Arizona with his wife. They grew homesick in AZ, and then their SIL, daughter and family moved in 5 doors down from me. My former boss and his wife moved in across the street from me; it was nirvana, close to grandkids, DD and SIL for 5 years. Then SIL took another job, sold the house and moved on. Former boss and wife moved on; don't know if they followed DD or not, but it sure cost them a lot of money over the 7 year period.
I live in a very high housing cost area. The above problem (multiple moves to chase after where the kids have gone) is an issue with many of us. I ran into a young guy just the other day who had dated one of my kids in HS. He manged to get a house in our area, but he admits most of his HS friends are moving out of state or to the other side of our state because they can't afford a house where they grew up. It's sad.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Medical issues were never much of a concern for me. Hospital 3 miles away.

Other "lifestyle" issues are good;

Marina 8 miles.
Outdoor shooting range 12 miles
Indoor range 1 mile
7 sushi bars in town
2 excellent Chinese restaurants in town, 5 more not so good
5 excellent taquerias, 1 excellent sit down with bar and a dozen also rans
3 hours from Reno, an hour and a half from Monterey
Legal marijuana

Plus, ranch house, no stairs to fall down requiring hospital time -

Why move?
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation4us View Post
Would that be Northridge Hospital? Oh memories…. One of my first nursing jobs and where I was trained in Labor and Delivery. I lived 5 minutes away down Reseda Blvd in an old not so nice 1 bedroom apt for $485/ month while my now ex lived in Warner Center and paid 815/ month. 30 years ago, how time flies.

Yes it is. My Doc is over there.

A 1 bedroom apartment might set you back more like $1800 now. Eek!
Glad we bought our house in 2010, could not afford it now.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Dear Luvtoride, Ah the stairs discussion.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:11 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dear Luvtoride, Ah the stairs discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtoride View Post
Jakob, This makes sense to me other than perhaps “stairs” in a townhouse.
I read the article and it seems to me that the examples used were all people who made decisions to make big moves (far from areas they lived in or knew much about) without adequately exploring/ researching all of the factors necessary.
As I’ve stated in other threads here, being close to our kids and grandkids in the area we live now is the most important factor of where we will live in retirement. As others have also said it “we’re not going anywhere”.
Dear Luvtoride, As an occupational therapist, I have thought long and hard about this issue. To me there seems to be two main breakdowns. First, as Betty White would state, stairs keep you young. I have planned my townhome with a bathroom on the first floor. And if need be I can install stair glides. Although, stair glide‘s are not my fantasy, looking at places with elevators increases the expense dramatically and the feel of the condo is less appealing. Of course, there is no one right answer, and each person needs to make their decisions based on their analysis. Thanks for your reply, it is always good to hear a different perspective.
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #52

Quote:
......First, as Betty White would state, stairs keep you young..............

Saw one recently, a 4 level hillside home. No elevator, no shortage of stairs. Probably not a good candidate for a forever home.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #53

I can elect to do stair climbs. I remember many years ago when DW's friend had a terrible back spasm and the firefighters removed a window from her split level home to get her out.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dear Luvtoride, As an occupational therapist, I have thought long and hard about this issue. To me there seems to be two main breakdowns. First, as Betty White would state, stairs keep you young. I have planned my townhome with a bathroom on the first floor. And if need be I can install stair glides. Although, stair glide‘s are not my fantasy, looking at places with elevators increases the expense dramatically and the feel of the condo is less appealing. Of course, there is no one right answer, and each person needs to make their decisions based on their analysis. Thanks for your reply, it is always good to hear a different perspective.
A bathroom downstairs is helpful. I once broke my ankle and if my bedroom/bath wasn't on the first floor that would have been difficult.

Our main criteria for a house was no stairs. Both DH and I have "bad" knees. I can walk up and down stairs but walking down is painful (up is fine).

Also, I have osteoporosis. It is not "severe" and I've never fallen and broken a bone (the broken ankle was years ago and unrelated). But I make a big effort to avoid anything which adds to fall risk. So, 3 things I avoid in my home:

1. Stairs
2. Area rugs
3. Cords stretched across the floor
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
I’m surprised that more people don’t factor this in.

I was having an ongoing discussion with some family members and said that, if we moved, I’d want to be within an hour of a level I trauma center. No one else thought it was important.
I'm alive today because I live within a mile of a great hospital. DW drove me.

If I had lived out in the boonies and to wait for an ambulance come to drive me an hour or so, I wouldn't be writing this now.

We used to vacation at a secluded, private island in the Caribbean. At night there was only a security guard. If I needed a doctor or hospital I'd have to get a boat (somehow) to get me to a hospital. As much as we loved that place I'm now leery of being that far from help.

Time isn't always money...sometimes it's of the essence!
Old 11-14-2021, 07:53 PM   #56

We want to be within a short drive to regular doctor visits, let alone EMT and hospitals. I know the frequency of doctor visits tends to go up.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think we are in our forever home now. It’s a two-story home, but all the main areas, including master bedroom are on the first floor. Upstairs bedrooms were the kids and now vacant. Figure if I need the help maintaining the orchard or compound will just hire it. And my long-time neighbors are awesome and we look out for each other.

Have a fire house near, with a proven response time from 911 call to appearance at the gate (yes they came to the house once) of 10 minutes. And a hospital with trauma center close by.

Unless I do something stupid and fall cleaning out gutters on the second floor roof, we will be hanging out here for a long time.
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:50 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I have lived in 5 states and starting over making friends always takes time and there’s no guarantee that you will find your tribe. Many people retire to Reno so am lucky to have lived here for past 25 years.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:14 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1242Vintage View Post
Unless I do something stupid and fall cleaning out gutters on the second floor roof, we will be hanging out here for a long time.
I fell from a ladder getting off the roof after cleaning the gutters. Not hurt, but it was a wake up call. I'd advise you to get gutter guards. I now have them - they work great and I haven't been on the house roof since.

ETA - The gutter guards will probably cost less than dr and hospital bills from a fall.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #60

Friends of ours shared ownership of a large home with dock and private harbor on the Chesapeake with siblings; it had been in the family over 100 years. Everyone, including extended family, lived over 5 hours away, not including those on the Left Coast. Anytime visiting was spent fixing, repairing, painting for our mid 70yo friends. They finally had enough, and sold.