Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For casual dining, my local golf club has an excellent restaurant and patio.
19 Okanagan Grill + Bar

For special occasions (such as entertaining Alan and his DW) I like to take my guests to this local winery restaurant.
Dine ~ Old Vines Restaurant ~ Quails’ Gate Okanagan Estate Winery

Chez Moi is also pretty good......
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
In Vancouver:
Vij's
Vancouver is a great place to eat. But expensive.
Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of a deterrent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Do you know a good place for dim sum. Last time we were there we didn't find anything good. But our neighbor in the Bay Area was from Vancouver who originally from Hong Kong said I didn't go to the right place.
Apparently all the best ones are in Richmond. I have a Chinese friend who lives in New Westminster and he has taken me a couple times to places off the Westminster highway in Richmond. Sorry I don't know the names but it was all Mandarin to me...
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Do you know a good place for dim sum. Last time we were there we didn't find anything good. But our neighbor in the Bay Area was from Vancouver who originally from Hong Kong said I didn't go to the right place.
DW does not like it so since I retired, I have no experience. Used to be several places in Richmond where we would go for lunch.

Richmond and Chinatown have genuine Chinese food experiences. We took some visitors and they were shocked because of the "true" Chinese experience.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of a deterrent...
I haven't been to Vij's, but their more relaxed restaurant next door, Rangoli, is very good. And you can buy spices and prepared Indian foods there too.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
DW does not like it so since I retired, I have no experience. Used to be several places in Richmond where we would go for lunch.

Richmond and Chinatown have genuine Chinese food experiences. We took some visitors and they were shocked because of the "true" Chinese experience.
I was in China town but the dim sum was not great. But I love all the fresh fruits there.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:51 AM   #106

Quote:

Apparently all the best ones are in Richmond. I have a Chinese friend who lives in New Westminster and he has taken me a couple times to places off the Westminster highway in Richmond. Sorry I don't know the names but it was all Mandarin to me...
I've heard of Richmond, do you need a car to get there. I didn't plan to rent a car there.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:00 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Just outside of Lincoln City, Oregon: Otis Cafe. dinky (maybe 6 tables) little mom and pop--best home made breads, desserts, and great food. "Just like Mom makes". Their molasses bread is to die for.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #108

Quote:
I've heard of Richmond, do you need a car to get there. I didn't plan to rent a car there.
Richmond is actually the suburb where YVR airport is located. The restaurant area is probably 5 miles from the airport. Buses would serve it (YVR has pretty decent public transit connections for a Canadian airport).
Old 05-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, try the Translink, Richmond-Brighouse station on the Canada Line.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Schedules...ator-Maps.aspx
Old 05-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I haven't been to Vij's, but their more relaxed restaurant next door, Rangoli, is very good. And you can buy spices and prepared Indian foods there too.
Thanks, will check out Rangoli.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #111

Philadelphia

If you find yourself in Philly and want a good italian place, try Pestos on broad and Passyunk.
And for God's sake DO NOT go to Gino's or Pat's for cheesesteaks. simply way better steaks at the neighborhood/local spot.

Try Dellassandro's or for the best roast pork sandwich? John's roast pork on snyder ave.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:35 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Speaking of lines down the block - Hot Doug's in Chicago used to be (IMO) the best eating establishment anywhere. Greatest hot dogs/ sausages and duck fat fries. But they closed in 2014. We used to wait a few hours in line - I saw reports of 6 hour lines and people camped out to beat the lines after they announced that they were closing.
You supposedly can get the same great sausages w/o the line. His employees opened a clone of Doug Sohn's store. I haven't been there yet, only been to Hot Doug's once (and it was great).

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...r-to-hot-dougs

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
You supposedly can get the same great sausages w/o the line. His employees opened a clone of Doug Sohn's store. I haven't been there yet, only been to Hot Doug's once (and it was great).

https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...r-to-hot-dougs

-ERD50

Wow - Thanks for the link! I need to check that place out.

I went to a Cubs spring training day in Scottsdale. Got myself a sausage and a beer at a stadium vendor before the game. Walked around and found a Hot Doug's and a Portillo's in the ballpark. Next time I'll bypass the stadium food and go straight to Doug's.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
If you find yourself in Philly and want a good italian place, try Pestos on broad and Passyunk.

And for God's sake DO NOT go to Gino's or Pat's for cheesesteaks. simply way better steaks at the neighborhood/local spot.

Try Dellassandro's or for the best roast pork sandwich? John's roast pork on snyder ave.

Totally agree re going to a neighborhood place rather than Gino's or Pat's for cheese steaks. We used to love Gee's in West Chester when we lived outside of Philly.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Pappasitio's Cantina in Houston. Simply the best.

https://pappasitos.com/home/

+1 for Pappasito's & Pappadeaux's in Houston. Locations outside of Houston (Atlanta, Phoenix) nowhere close to as good.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #116

When I grew up in MI there was Zenders in Frankenmuth which serves family style chicken dinners. Folks drove the 80 or so miles from the Detroit area for a Sunday Afternoon meal. Went back much later and found out that family style for one person is not so great, plus the amount I eat decreased from when I was 16.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Is it worth the hassle and lineups to get into Vij's ? DW is a big fan of his and I love Indian food so it is on our list of things to do but that no reservation policy is a bit of pain:
His new location has an indoor bar area where they serve free snacks. We found it to be a nice part of the experience.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
Mama's Fish House, Maui.
Tadich Grill, San Francisco.
Boulevard, San Francisco.
Been to Mama's and Boulevard. While the food at each didn't distinguish itself to me, the settings were both awesome. Mama's is a "must do" at least once in Maui.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 AM   #119

So hard to identify "favorite" because there are a lot of things that go into dining experiences - who you're with, the occasion, obviously the food, the setting, the service.

Probably my favorite dining experiences have been because of the people or occasion. Among them:

Cypress in Charleston, SC
Quay in Sydney
The Four Seasons, Bar Americain, Sardi's, all in NYC

But "favorites?"

Arni's - best pizza in Indiana

Cypress - Charleston, SC - was my go to special occasion place when I lived there, never had a bad time or meal.

Leroy's in Coronado - farm to table with a great local beer list, love the salads, pork chops, good brunch menu on weekends.

Stake in Coronado - our current go-to special occasion place. Some of the best steaks I've ever had, ridiculous sides, and the single greatest dessert ever created: Blueberry Muffin Bread Pudding. I was just there last night for an early birthday dinner. If I have to pick one "favorite", this is it.

Tartine (breakfast and coffee) in Coronado - best coffee on the island. Good euro cafe food.

Cowboy Star in downtown San Diego - another cool steak joint in San Diego

Mr. B's in NOLA because I can not eat for a day in anticipation of their BBQ Shrimp.

Zenbu sushi - formerly in La Jolla, but now only in Cardiff so we very rarely go. The TDF roll is truly "To Die For."

And the obligatory "Favorite Mexican joint" is Don Pancho's Taco Shop in Imperial Beach.

I'll have to try Los Quatros Milpas, rodi. Thanks for the suggestion! I work right over there.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post

Dellassandro's for cheesesteaks?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote