Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2022, 03:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went our local senior center, looking for info on an exercise program, all they had were seniors sitting chairs. I might get there, but I just started going back to Planet Fitness. Take that Covid!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2022, 08:06 AM   #22

I love my senior center. Most senior centers are not very good, nothing interesting. But I found one that is a half hour away that is great. I play cribbage tues and thurs, also pickleball on those same days, political discussion group on Thurs, and a general discussion group on Friday. I found it out of boredom and loneliness. It has satisfied my need for socializing, but it hasn't gotten me a girl friend yet, but that's a whole nother thing, lol. Plenty of women to date, but until recently, I have chosen not to date.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:10 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
It has satisfied my need for socializing, but it hasn't gotten me a girl friend yet, but that's a whole nother thing, lol. Plenty of women to date, but until recently, I have chosen not to date.
Given that most women outlive their husbands, I can imagine you have a lot of possible candidates- but yeah, I'd be picky, too.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
But isn't it nice to know that there are communities providing programming, exercise, and meals for people "older than us" who still want programming, exercise, and meals? One thing New Jersey's high taxes buys are fairly well-provided senior centers that seem to get a lot of use. I've never attended anything, but may be tempted this year if they offer their "forever 55" balance class again. I'm doing some trips next year that require some balance, and mine isn't great.
Programming? Computer programming?
Old 08-08-2022, 08:56 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Programming? Computer programming?
Some centers provide computer literacy classes, usually in conjunction with a school district that allows use of a computer lab.

I want to thank those who have posted their experience with senior centers. My local center seems to be struggling. It seems to have an institutional version of Long-Covid. However, here is a rather large regional center in my area and I think I will check that out. It is coming back to life and even has monthly pancake dinners!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We've got senior citizens centers, and they do a big business providing lunches.

The Seniors at our church is also a large bunch. Even though we're seniors and of real retirement age, those seniors at the center and church are so . . . . . . . old.

We're young for our age.
One local community centre I go to for volleyball has some kind of senior program going on in another room - I don't know what the program was for, but the people there looked so very old and they looked kind of.... depressed...
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

We live in a big metro area, so there are around 8 different senior clubs near us and several branches of a nonprofit seniors group not government affiliated. People tend to go to the clubs that have the activities they enjoy rather than where they live. The centers themselves, if you go during free lunch or bingo times, may have some of the older members, but the more active activity groups, like hiking, skiing and softball, tend to attract a younger and more active crowd. So I wouldn't judge a group entirely on what you see at the center itself on one visit and instead try one of the activity groups that might interest you.

We usually have membership in 3 clubs for the various benefits, like subsidized ride share programs, but are only currently active in one. We've met all our retirement friends there and most of our friends are active in a variety of activities or other clubs. I think for us that takes the place of going to work and having a place to socialize, only better since there are no deadlines, you can go when you feel like it and most of the activities are tax payer funded.

We tend to do the drop in activities as I don't like having a set schedule. We're also in several seat filler organizations and I like to be free to take advantage of those events when they pop up, like symphony, ballet or play tickets. Then on slow weeks if we don't have any activities planned with friends or family or there aren't any good event tickets, the senior club drop in activities are always good for back up.

We don't do the trips but the clubs here go places like China and the Amalfi coast, so the members here are pretty far from all seniors sitting around in rocking chairs. The day trips through the clubs are kind of expensive so we haven't done those either, but when we are older and don't want to drive or navigate BART on our own anymore, it is nice to know we can still go on day trips to places like Sausalito and Napa through the clubs.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
One local community centre I go to for volleyball has some kind of senior program going on in another room - I don't know what the program is for, but the people there look so very old and they look kind of.... depressed...
Well, they may be depressed because they aged out of volleyball ... I guess that day does come for us all. There's a question for us all - do we have interests and hobbies that will delight us when we are physically frail? I mean to take up video games and become a Fearless Female Warrior when I'm 90 or so. Do video games have age categories - my fingers are already arthritic! I could relearn some card games. I've always meant to read more I have a bag of fancy embroidery stored behind my couch. I think I'll still love to cook.

But, who knows what happens, except that the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Well, they may be depressed because they aged out of volleyball ... I guess that day does come for us all. There's a question for us all - do we have interests and hobbies that will delight us when we are physically frail? I mean to take up video games and become a Fearless Female Warrior when I'm 90 or so. Do video games have age categories - my fingers are already arthritic! I could relearn some card games. I've always meant to read more I have a bag of fancy embroidery stored behind my couch. I think I'll still love to cook.

But, who knows what happens, except that the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley.
They looked like they quit playing volleyball/basketball, etc decades ago. It looked almost like they were dragged out there; maybe a bus or something picked them up at some kind of home and dropped them off? I've seen similar-looking seniors in the same room before the pandemic and a guy up front was playing the piano and singing oldies. They had the same bored, depressed look on their faces then too. I dread to become one of those folks, but I may not have any choice...
Old 08-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #30

Quote:
They looked like they quit playing volleyball/basketball, etc decades ago. It looked almost like they were dragged out there; maybe a bus or something picked them up at some kind of home and dropped them off? I've seen similar-looking seniors in the same room before the pandemic and a guy up front was playing the piano and singing oldies. They had the same bored, depressed look on their faces then too. I dread to become one of those folks, but I may not have any choice...
At my senior center there is one of those rooms full of very old looking depressed folks. They are playing cards, possibly bridge. But I'd be surprised if they can still play, since it has so many rules. Anyway, yes, we have one of those depression rooms. But all the other rooms have happier old folks, most younger than the depressed ones. I would say 'cheerful' is the general mood of the place, outside of the depression room.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
At my senior center there is one of those rooms full of very old looking depressed folks. They are playing cards, possibly bridge. But I'd be surprised if they can still play, since it has so many rules. Anyway, yes, we have one of those depression rooms. But all the other rooms have happier old folks, most younger than the depressed ones. I would say 'cheerful' is the general mood of the place, outside of the depression room.
I looked into it further and found that what I saw was "a senior day program that offers older adults with health and mobility limitations a place to enjoy fun activities and get more support." for $16 a day.
Old 08-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #32
Administrator

Quote:
I looked into it further and found that what I saw was "a senior day program that offers older adults with health and mobility limitations a place to enjoy fun activities and get more support." for $16 a day.
That is a good option for couples where one spouse requires some care and the other spouse is the primary caregiver.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #33
gone traveling

We do have brand new sr canter that opened earlier this year. It provides many activities and services so there is something appealing for all ages of seniors, with the starting age at 50 and some members are in their 90s. Annual dues are only $10, so we get seniors coming from other surrounding towns. The biggest draw is pickleball which tends to attract the younger set. Also there is basketball and volleyball in the gym part of the facility. There is a study like room with lounge chairs, books and a pool table. Also a well equipped gym with both machines and free weights. There is an art and craft room that covers many hobby type crafts such as wood carving, ceramics, etc. College level courses are offered onsite by a local university. Very large lunch room, kitchen and free or subsidized meals are offered daily and that is a big attraction for many of the seniors. Day trips and longer trips are periodically offered as well.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Can't see going to a senior center currently at 62 y.o.
Tons of Pickleball by me and that is my main hobby 6x weekly.
Old 08-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A good deal --gives the caretaker of older people with physical and mental issues a break while the elder is in a safe place. Day care for the elderly.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:44 PM   #36

I'm only 72, so not really ready for my town's senior center.
I spend a fair amount of my free time doing yard work and chainsawing logs and splitting them into firewood for future winters.
Maybe when I get old, we'll see...
TheWizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

My 89 yo FIL goes to the local senior center. He says there’s too many old people hanging around.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:33 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have a pretty nice one in our city. I just use it to play basketball and pickleball, but they have all.the usual lunches, card games, dance for the older seniors
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:12 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

People with dementia usually have a "look" about them, a combination of peevishness and fear. It stems from not being entirely sure where they are, or why they are there.

Quote:
One local community centre I go to for volleyball has some kind of senior program going on in another room - I don't know what the program was for, but the people there looked so very old and they looked kind of.... depressed...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

The local one in Yorba Linda is very nice. My mother in law used it a lot, especially for the art classes. I used to go view their art shows with her.

I've been thinking about enrolling in one of the art classes too, but honestly, I think I'm going to feel out of place and too young.
Pointby2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
senior center