Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 08:30 PM   #2141

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
So how does one know when a sump pump expires? Or do you discover it when you need it the most?
When I had a sump pump, I dropped a cheap water sensor into the pit at a level that was higher than normal. That way an alarm went off if the level got to be higher than normal. I also kept a direct replacement on hand in case of a failure. In my case, the typical failure was in a switch and the pump would not shut off. So I kept the old one that worked but would not shut off for a backup. Had I needed it, I could have turned it on and off buy plugging it in and in plugging it for about two minutes every hour until I could get a replacement. A pain for sure, but better than a wet basement.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #2142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still wondering why the rain water still keeps coming in at the French door that opens onto my second story back deck. With an East wind, even a light rain that blows against the door results in water dripping down into the floor below. There's an area of rotted wood in the lower left of the door. I've sprayed it with water from a hose and confirmed that it then leaks into the lower floor. I temporarily sealed up that lower left rotted area with tape and plastic bag, and the rain comes in anyway! Obviously coming on somewhere else, or the seal isn't working. Water is seeping through the plastic bag, maybe ?? I've taped up or caulked every possible other opening (I think) that could let water in. Frustrating.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #2143

Microwave oven as part of a unit that shares control panel with the oven. Took me five calls to get someone out. Three different appointments to diagnose and finally fix. The lower oven has to come totally out to fix. Cost $389 but saved $3,000 for buying a whole new combo.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #2144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
... In my case, the typical failure was in a switch and the pump would not shut off. I kept the old one that worked but would not shut off for a backup. Had I needed it, I could have turned it on and off buy plugging it in and in plugging it for about two minutes every hour until I could get a replacement. A pain for sure, but better than a wet basement.
Yes, that's the way my sump pump failed too. In my case it was the pump in a graywater sump that sends water from the basement laundry and water softener to the septic system. I also chose to replace the pump rather than just the switch because the sump is sealed and kind of a pain to open. I didn't want to repeat the exercise in six months or even a couple years.

You can buy a separate float valve that comes with a piggyback power plug that opens and closes the pump circuit depending on water level. In fact, the new pump I installed uses just such a system. The float switch clamps onto the discharge pipe so you can set it at the level and position that's best for your purpose.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
So how does one know when a sump pump expires? Or do you discover it when you need it the most?
I pull my garden hose into the basement, & fill the pit with water every spring.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #2146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Still wondering why the rain water still keeps coming in at the French door that opens onto my second story back deck. With an East wind, even a light rain that blows against the door results in water dripping down into the floor below. There's an area of rotted wood in the lower left of the door. I've sprayed it with water from a hose and confirmed that it then leaks into the lower floor. I temporarily sealed up that lower left rotted area with tape and plastic bag, and the rain comes in anyway! Obviously coming on somewhere else, or the seal isn't working. Water is seeping through the plastic bag, maybe ?? I've taped up or caulked every possible other opening (I think) that could let water in. Frustrating.
Is there any way the water can be coming in from way up above? We had a first-floor window that had a small, periodic leak and it wasn't until we added caulk to the (exterior) bathroom fan vent about five feet directly above it that it stopped. Talk about odd. Over a decade in this house and there has never been caulk around that vent, so we have no idea what changed. It was a "well it couldn't hurt to try" thing as we were really stumped and it worked, so we aren't complaining.

It could be that the water has two entry points and you only found one of them, as you have wondered.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #2147
Recycles dryer sheets

My recent repair isn't even a repair anymore.

We had two ceramic tiles on the kitchen floor that were "popping" all winter. I waited until it was a bit warmer to pull them up and reglue them.

Well, I got the grout out of the one line where it had started disintegrating and lo and behold, no more popping. And then we couldn't remember which two tiles were needing TLC!! It has been about three weeks now and still no popping. I guess I'll just regrout the line and make sure to mark an X when the tiles decide to speak up again. They are huge tiles, too, so I was afraid of them cracking and I would rather fix them now, but I also don't want to mess with the wrong tiles. How frustrating!!
Old 05-02-2018, 01:15 PM   #2148
Recycles dryer sheets

Installed solar powered outdoor floodlight with motion detector. So far it works fine.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #2149

Bought a summer cabin built in 1972 as a foreclosure. It had been abandoned for about 10 years, and used sparsely for the years immediately before that.

It has a looooong list of repairs to do. I hired out for replacing the plumbing and thinning some surrounding forest. After sitting unused the plumbing leaked badly. So far I personally have removed paneling, removed a rotten deck, replaced the front door, and replaced a missing window. Friday will begin painting the outside, and replacing the front deck. Will also need to replace 5 rotten timbers in the back deck, and the safety rail. Lets not talk about the inside...

Plan is to do outside stuff this year, inside next year. I'll have lots of updates here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LewisClark132138-01.jpg (220.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg LewisClark132138-13.jpg (177.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 05-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell View Post
Installed solar powered outdoor floodlight with motion detector. So far it works fine.
I put one of those in a couple of weeks ago. The deer like a light over their salad bar.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #2151

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I put one of those in a couple of weeks ago. The deer like a light over their salad bar.
Ours lights up so you can see your way to the garbage can.

The raccoon appreciates it too...
Old 05-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by always_learning View Post
Is there any way the water can be coming in from way up above? We had a first-floor window that had a small, periodic leak and it wasn't until we added caulk to the (exterior) bathroom fan vent about five feet directly above it that it stopped. Talk about odd. Over a decade in this house and there has never been caulk around that vent, so we have no idea what changed. It was a "well it couldn't hurt to try" thing as we were really stumped and it worked, so we aren't complaining.

It could be that the water has two entry points and you only found one of them, as you have wondered.
Thanks for the reply. There is 3rd story window above the French door. Hmmm.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #2153

Three weeks home after 6 months away, and the repairs are racking up. Just this past week:

- Troubleshot a neutral ground on electrical outlets and found the loose connection, repairing it and restoring power to the master bedroom.

- Replaced the front door handle which had corroded internals making the front door difficult to open... thanks ocean breeze!

- My coup d'grace: we've been fighting palm root intrusion into our master bathroom toilet sewer connection. The roots grew up through the hole in the slab for the sewer line, up through a hole in the flange, through the wax seal and down into the sewer line. This first happened about 18 months ago, and we got it fixed along with some other plumbing issues in the house at way too much of a cost. The second and third times, the HOA took care of it as a courtesy, including helping us figure out where it was coming from. The fourth time happened roughly 3 months after the previous time, and our better plumber came out and fixed it for $95 including a toilet installation for dummies session with yours truly.

Six weeks after that, root intrusion happened again, so I took the toilet off myself, applied instant plant death to the roots, removed as much of the root system as I could, and put rock salt in the hole (PVC piping). I let that sit for a couple of days, then reinstalled the toilet with a new-fangled plastic+wax seal. We'll see how this goes. If it lasts longer than 6 weeks, it's a win... hopefully this solves the problem without making our neighbors have to remove the palm.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:47 AM   #2154
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
Three weeks home after 6 months away, and the repairs are racking up. Just this past week:

- Troubleshot a neutral ground on electrical outlets and found the loose connection, repairing it and restoring power to the master bedroom.

- Replaced the front door handle which had corroded internals making the front door difficult to open... thanks ocean breeze!

- My coup d'grace: we've been fighting palm root intrusion into our master bathroom toilet sewer connection. The roots grew up through the hole in the slab for the sewer line, up through a hole in the flange, through the wax seal and down into the sewer line. This first happened about 18 months ago, and we got it fixed along with some other plumbing issues in the house at way too much of a cost. The second and third times, the HOA took care of it as a courtesy, including helping us figure out where it was coming from. The fourth time happened roughly 3 months after the previous time, and our better plumber came out and fixed it for $95 including a toilet installation for dummies session with yours truly.

Six weeks after that, root intrusion happened again, so I took the toilet off myself, applied instant plant death to the roots, removed as much of the root system as I could, and put rock salt in the hole (PVC piping). I let that sit for a couple of days, then reinstalled the toilet with a new-fangled plastic+wax seal. We'll see how this goes. If it lasts longer than 6 weeks, it's a win... hopefully this solves the problem without making our neighbors have to remove the palm.

Your problem is different than mine, so I do not think it will work the same... I had a willow tree that was on the neighbors yard that found a space to insert a root into my sewer pipe and grow every bushy.... it would cut almost all the flow... paid twice to get it cut... the second time the guy suggested to use root killer... every 2 to 3 months flush a bunch down the drain...

Since yours is up high I am not sure it will do anything... especially since you are putting it directly on the root... have you tried Round Up?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #2155
Give me a forum ...

I don't think RoundUp will work applied to a root. It's supposed to be applied to the leaves of a plant. I've sprayed weeds right around trees (including palms), definitely hitting the roots. Killed the weeds (sometimes), but never the trees. I've also had no luck spraying exposed roots/stalks of things like ferns and oleander. It seems to need something green to transport the poison to the roots for effectiveness.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Your problem is different than mine, so I do not think it will work the same... I had a willow tree that was on the neighbors yard that found a space to insert a root into my sewer pipe and grow every bushy.... it would cut almost all the flow... paid twice to get it cut... the second time the guy suggested to use root killer... every 2 to 3 months flush a bunch down the drain...

Since yours is up high I am not sure it will do anything... especially since you are putting it directly on the root... have you tried Round Up?
I used concentrated glyphosate, same stuff I used to kill the ficus root when we cut that down. I applied it several times - initially when I pulled the "mare's tail" out, then I poured it around the sewer flange and let it sit before removing the root material further, and then again after I had removed as much of the root material as I could get to. I don't know if it'll kill the root entirely, or if it'll kill the tree (which honestly I wouldn't mind), or if it won't do anything... so I poured the rock salt all around the flange and into the space between the flange and the soil/slab to create a barrier through which the root shouldn't grow. From what I've read, the rock salt barrier can work for a year or two. If that doesn't stop it, the funky seal I used might work better than the cheap wax seal. I hope I bought quite a bit of time before I have to go ask the neighbors if I can cut the root system away from the house, which would probably kill the tree. Palm root can be a real PITA, so we'll see. But maybe we'll move and it'll be someone else's problem.

I was particularly proud of my caulk job, which looks pretty good considering it's the first time I've done a toilet install!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 PM   #2157

Today I replaced the brake pads for the rear disc brakes on my mountain bike.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:42 PM   #2158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post

I was particularly proud of my caulk job, which looks pretty good considering it's the first time I've done a toilet install!
If this is caulk around the base of the toilet and the floor, they recommend that you leave a small part un-caulked in the back. That way, if there is a leak, you will be more likely to see it before a lot of damage is done.

As far as the roots, I've heard about placing copper wire in the pipe (I think this is used to keep moss from growing on roofs. But my searching seemed to come up with the usual anecdotes of "Works great, never had a problem", to "had to dig up some and the pipes were full of roots - with the copper wire in place", so I dunno. Best solution always seems to be get rid of the plant.

-ERD50
Old 05-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #2159
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday; 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe @ 75,000 miles - oil & filter change, topped up coolant overflow tank, brake fluid reservoir, WW fluid, inspected CV joint boots, inspected emergency brake cables, rotated tires, checked brake pad wear (still quite good), adjusted tire air pressures (including spare), de-trashed interior (DW's messes ).
Old 05-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #2160

Lubed the deck and spindles and wheels on my Sabre 1542 HS lawn tractor- amazed it's still doing my 7 acres after 18 years at it.
Closed Thread