Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #2361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Does it have to be sucessful to be invluded in this thread?
If it wasn't successful it wouldn't be a repair.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #2362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Been having rain water pooling near foundation (no basement, thank God) in back yard and side yard in last few years (why not sooner?). Heat pump is in side yard and h2o comes up into the base of it during heavy rains ! So... for side yard, Rube Goldberged a flexible elbow onto the rain downspout, and flexible elephant trunk onto the elbow, to reroute the water into front yard instead of side yard. The Goldberg contraption is working as a rain-flow-to-side-yard limiter, since it leaks a lot at the elbow, which feeds into the side yard pool, but if it rains hard enough, there is overflow that goes into the elephant trunk and into the front yard, where it does no damage to anything, one hopes. Hoping it stops the rainwater from rising up into my heat pump. Keeping an eye on it. Need a few more heavy rains to test it out.
Lots of things can cause water to pool over time. Have you had any trees or shrubs removed in those areas? It takes years for any remaining roots to rot and the soil to fill in where the roots were. Soil wasn't tamped around the house when it was built? Water sitting in the same spot over time can depress the soil. Drought can cause some soils to shrink. Earthquakes? Sink holes? Sometimes it's just a matter of bringing in fill soil and grade it to flow the rainwater away from the foundation. It wouldn't take much soil.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:41 AM   #2363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Does it have to be sucessful to be invluded in this thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
If it wasn't successful it wouldn't be a repair.
I for one like to read about attempted repairs, if the poster tells a good story on how he fails.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #2364
Moderator Emeritus

During my remodel, I tore up the tile flooring and underlayment. Got a little carried away in the bathroom and broke off a piece of the toilet flange. Found a repair flange online. Put a wax ring on the old flange, the repair flange on top of that, and then another wax ring on top of the repair flange. Then I installed the pvc Toto trapway over that and then the toilet. No leaks. All is well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.jpg (840.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0997.jpg (1.15 MB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0999.jpg (538.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1002.jpg (475.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 AM   #2365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
During my remodel, I tore up the tile flooring and underlayment. Got a little carried away in the bathroom and broke off a piece of the toilet flange. Found a repair flange online. Put a wax ring on the old flange, the repair flange on top of that, and then another wax ring on top of the repair flange. Then I installed the pvc Toto trapway over that and then the toilet. No leaks. All is well.
A thing of beauty. Wow, someone did some nice work on the floor trim molding around the water supply.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:40 AM   #2366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A thing of beauty. Wow, someone did some nice work on the floor trim molding around the water supply.
I didn't notice at first. Yes, nice. 999/1000 times, that would have been 'fixed' with copious amounts of caulk!

I've never seen a toilet trap like that, I've always seen them just molded into the toilet, and the toilet just sits on the floor flange. Maybe just the picture angle, but the ID seems small? But I guess you always want to go from smaller to larger, so any clog occurs as close to the source as possible.

-ERD50
Old 11-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #2367
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I've never seen a toilet trap like that, I've always seen them just molded into the toilet, and the toilet just sits on the floor flange. Maybe just the picture angle, but the ID seems small? But I guess you always want to go from smaller to larger, so any clog occurs as close to the source as possible.

-ERD50
I'd like to see a side view of that gray flange.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #2368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'd like to see a side view of that gray flange.
Found this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-12-...-12R/301768301

Doesn't really seem like a trap to me, sure looks like you would still get air across the top. The trap itself must still be in the toilet.

-ERD50
Old 11-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #2369
Moderator Emeritus

I never saw one of those. Whatever is heading for the sewer line sure needs to make a sharp right turn though.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:28 PM   #2370
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks - saw that trick on a you tube video. Unfortunately my new baseboard trim is taller and the top would have been even with the center of the escutcheon - so I needed a work around,. This worked out nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1003.jpg (320.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #2371
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Found this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTO-12-...-12R/301768301

Doesn't really seem like a trap to me, sure looks like you would still get air across the top. The trap itself must still be in the toilet.

-ERD50
That's it. Yes the trap is still in the toilet. The good thing is that this part comes in 3 sizes. For 10", 12" or 14" from center of flange to wall. Standard is 12" and comes with the toilet.

I had a 12", but added wainscoting, baseboard and shoe that made the toilet too close to the back wall. So I bought a new 10" trapway, and now the toilet fits fine with the more pronounced trim.

It does seem that the inside diameter is a little small, but everything sent at it so far has gone through.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #2372
Give me a forum ...

I've always been kind of amazed by wax rings - it seems like a 16th Century solution that just never dies, though it seems to mostly work..
Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #2373

Quote:
I've always been kind of amazed by wax rings - it seems like a 16th Century solution that just never dies, though it seems to mostly work..
Hey, where do you think the expression "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" came from?
Old 11-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #2374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, sometimes the old ways are the best.

The only issue I have with the wax rings, is it is a one shot at it type thing. If you don't get the toilet down on it just right the first time, it's no good. Not an issue for anyone with a little experience, but a little intimidating for a guy like me who has only done it a few times in his life.

So the two recent toilet replacements I did, I used this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toilet-G...-203564758-_-N

It was nice to be able to place the toilet down and not worry too much about it shifting around as you do it, just needed to get it on the bolts.

Gets good reviews, I was happy with it, it will adapt to a pretty wide range of flange heights. But will that plastic hold up? It has not stood the test of time like good old wax. But if it outlives me, I'm good.

-ERD50
Old 11-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #2375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep, sometimes the old ways are the best.

The only issue I have with the wax rings, is it is a one shot at it type thing............-ERD50
Well that and the fact that if the toilet rocks around the seal can leak and then you have yuck water seeping into the floor boards. And how is the toilet secured? Two little bolts attached to a plastic flange that breaks easily and doesn't really hold the toilet in place relative to the floor. But it sort of works mostly.

The ring you linked is certainly an improvement.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:25 PM   #2376

Funny but I looked at those offset flanges recently and decided against them. Moved into a house recently and the main floor toilet is now an 11" rough in because of an added marble tile on the wall. Toilets mostly come in 12"(90% of them) or 10" rough ins (there are other weird sizes).

The 10" are mostly special order and more expensive. I thought the offset flange could fix the problem but didn't like the look for the same reason as other posters. I don't want to be constricting that particular drain....

Perhaps the OP could give us some feedback after "using" it for a while... )
Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #2377

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Lots of things can cause water to pool over time. Have you had any trees or shrubs removed in those areas? It takes years for any remaining roots to rot and the soil to fill in where the roots were. Soil wasn't tamped around the house when it was built? Water sitting in the same spot over time can depress the soil. Drought can cause some soils to shrink. Earthquakes? Sink holes? Sometimes it's just a matter of bringing in fill soil and grade it to flow the rainwater away from the foundation. It wouldn't take much soil.
Splitwdw, Thanks for the reply. No tress, shrubs removed. I don't know if they tamped the soil down near the foundation. One very mild half-second earthquake years ago. Yes, some droughts. Maybe it's soil compaction. Maybe I need to roll a hole-punching tank over the lawn. The area that floods in the back yard next to the house is just grass. The side that floods has big azaleas and rhododendron bushes. My contraption I hooked up to the side yard downspout is working as planned. I have one elephant trunk directing any *large* flow of water into the front yard. Some water leaks out from the elbow connection near the bottom of the spout into the usual spot, which had been causing the pooling, and it takes a fairly heavy rainfall to get the water up high enough in the elephant trunk, to flow out and into the front yard. But I have seen water coming out of the end of it, if rain is heavy enough. There is a little trench that has formed over the years right up against the slab, about 3 inches deep and a foot wide and the water fills it up and works its way down toward the heat pump. Filling in near the foundation there is definitely worth a shot. But.... eyeballing my yard, it looks like I'd have to rely on the side lawn absorbing all the water, and not rising up over the newly added soil near the slab. Been scoping out the other townhomes in my complex. 90 percent of them having better grading as far as water flowing away from the house. My yard slopes gently into my foundation, not away from it, unfortunately. Why it didn't have pooling from day 1 I don't know. May end up with big ugly hose taking water from downspout into front yard, and put in a few feet of *garden edging* right behind the outflowing end of the trunk to prevent the emerging water from flowing backwards towards house. Some other townhomes are doing that. For now, will wait for another rainfall greater than one inch to see what happens with current setup. It's OK, I need something to do with all my retiree time, lol....
Old 12-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #2378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Another famous 16th century plumbing fix is string. Packing string.

Customer: "You used string to fix me leaky faucet?"

Plumber: "Yep. And it will last longer than your new el cheapo faucet you can buy at Big Box."
Brake job today
Old 12-02-2018, 12:17 PM   #2379
Moderator Emeritus

Brake job today

Our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe is at 83,500 miles and the front brakes are about done. Going down steep inclines I could feel the brake fade and I just know they were getting hot as hell. So I bought upgraded rotors and ceramic pads.

Did the deed this morning:

20181202_120544.jpg

old brake and rotor

20181202_121944.jpg

Thin pads!

20181202_123352.jpg

New stuff

(there is nothing like air tools t make a job go quick!)
Old 12-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #2380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Thanks - saw that trick on a you tube video. Unfortunately my new baseboard trim is taller and the top would have been even with the center of the escutcheon - so I needed a work around,. This worked out nicely.

To make the flex hose seem to "disappear" against a white wall, I wrapped mine by winding/fastening a fairly thin strip of white plastic material around the hose. Looks less ugly