Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #2461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You may want to pry off the plastic cap over the anode rod and see if a socket of the right size will fit through the hole. The Corro-Protec hex head pretty much fills the hole, I don't think even a thin wall socket would have fit.

If you want the Corro-Protec unit, at the worst you could get some tin snips and make the sheet metal hole bigger. Getting the different active anode was easier for me, and I was worried about the warranty implications if I "modified" the water heater.
I looked at the link you provided...that model never showed up when I did my original search. The price is good too...$90 US, but their order page only allows US addresses so I sent them an email to see if they will ship to Canada.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #2462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I looked at the link you provided...that model never showed up when I did my original search. The price is good too...$90 US, but their order page only allows US addresses so I sent them an email to see if they will ship to Canada.
If they do, be careful of how they ship it.

By mail / postal it arrives.
By USPS/fedex they sometimes charge a broker fee for the customs part, over $50 fee.

Let us know if this has changed as I'd like to know too.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 AM   #2463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If they do, be careful of how they ship it.

By mail / postal it arrives.
By USPS/fedex they sometimes charge a broker fee for the customs part, over $50 fee.

Let us know if this has changed as I'd like to know too.
I'll be in Florida for all of February, so may it might be easier/cheaper to have it shipped to where I'm staying.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #2464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'll be in Florida for all of February, so may it might be easier/cheaper to have it shipped to where I'm staying.
On your return flight, make sure you put the anode in your checked bag. It will make for an interesting conversation with the helpful TSA folks. "What's this pointy electric pokey thing? A weapon, or some sort of preverted adult thrill toy? Betty, Jim, come look at this!!"
Old 01-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
On your return flight, make sure you put the anode in your checked bag. It will make for an interesting conversation with the helpful TSA folks. "What's this pointy electric pokey thing? A weapon, or some sort of preverted adult thrill toy? Betty, Jim, come look at this!!"
Yeah, I can imagine However, I'm driving so that won't be an issue.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 PM   #2466

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I hope that new outlet is on a GFCI protected circuit. Oh, and you have the outlet upside down. Typically the ground lead is toward the bottom. (my preference)
My entire house is upside down, so this one is installed to match. It's on the bathroom GFCI.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #2467

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
My entire house is upside down, so this one is installed to match. It's on the bathroom GFCI.
That's good. I never know the level of home maintenance expertise a poster may, or may not have.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #2468
Give me a forum ...

Up on the roof today. The roof has some tiny leaks that appear as streaks on the siding. It appears that the laminated shingles were installed with a marginal offset between rows of shingles. I ran a chalk line down the roof in line with the siding streak and lifted every shingle end near the chalk line to seal the nail heads and shingle ends. Hopefully that will do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5862.JPG (397.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-26-2019, 07:43 PM   #2469
gone traveling

Lightning storm fried my HVAC circuit board.

New circuit board installed cost almost $600.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:44 PM   #2470
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Lightning storm fried my HVAC circuit board.
New circuit board installed cost almost $600.

Was there a surge protector on the circuit?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:46 PM   #2471
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post

Was there a surge protector on the circuit?

I've never had a surge protector on an HVAC. Never had this problem until now.

Repairman said I could add a surge protector at the house's central circuit breaker box. Meanwhile, I should turn off HVAC unit during a lightning storm.

My older brother told me when he was a child lightning hit my parent's old farm house. The lightning bolt blew bricks off the chimney, blew a hole down the wall and across the kitchen floor to the back door.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:40 PM   #2472
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Up on the roof today. The roof has some tiny leaks that appear as streaks on the siding. It appears that the laminated shingles were installed with a marginal offset between rows of shingles. I ran a chalk line down the roof in line with the siding streak and lifted every shingle end near the chalk line to seal the nail heads and shingle ends. Hopefully that will do it.
Strange how the streaks on the siding are under the overhang. Suggesting to me, the leak could possibly be going under the roofing into the attic and running down the plywood underside, or the roof rafters until it hits the top plate of the wall, then dribbling down.

Maybe you want to look in the attic space for water signs ?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:54 PM   #2473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Strange how the streaks on the siding are under the overhang. Suggesting to me, the leak could possibly be going under the roofing into the attic and running down the plywood underside, or the roof rafters until it hits the top plate of the wall, then dribbling down.

Maybe you want to look in the attic space for water signs ?
Yes, I think that is exactly what is happening. The attic in that far end of the house is very hard to get to, but I eventually want to get in there and see if I can see the origin of the leak. Hopefully I have found and sealed the leak, as I found several strong candidates as I was lifting shingles.
Old 01-29-2019, 03:23 PM   #2474
Give me a forum ...

Pulling out of the garage, the overhead door traverse noises overrode the Tango music playing in the car. With the windows closed!

Upon return, applied lithium grease to threads, torsion spring coils and traveling wheels. A few ups and downs then a quiet ride of the door.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #2475

Bathroom vent fan stopped working.

Opened up the housing, blew away as much dust as possible, soaked the motor in Fluid Film, & fired right up again.

Glad I was able to keep the original 30+ year old motor...I figure it's much better made than anything I could buy currently.

Highly recommend Fluid Film.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:26 PM   #2476

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I installed this outlet. There's one on the other side of the wall, but there's a stud between that I had to drill through. Since the TP holder came off easily that gave me access. Took less than an hour.
The purpose of the outlet has been realized! Why didn't I do this sooner? I should probably post in blow thru dough or last Amazon buy, but this isn't the kind of pleasure one should post, is it? I mean, you guys, fine, but the ROTW, they might be offended.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #2477
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our 15yr old dryer started making squeaking noises recently. Figured one of the rollers that turns the drum was going bad. So ordered a kit on ebay that include rollers, belt & a pulley that the feeds the belt through the motor for $25. Took out the front panels and drum and replaced all the parts. Turns out the belt was severely cracked and the pulley was frozen to the shaft. So that is what was probably making the noise. Rollers were well worn too. Took about 2 hours to repair. Hopefully it will last another 15 yrs.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:20 PM   #2478
Give me a forum ...

Replaced a noisy fan in my DVR. I can barely hear itís hum from 6 inches away.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #2479
Recycles dryer sheets

I decided to replace a fan that the DH said was sparking. Once I had to old fan taken down I found a pair of black (load) wires with a wire nut. The wires were very old and shabby and I could see places where the insulation was completely gone. My house is 110 years old and this fan has been in a bedroom since I purchased the house 26 years ago. I opened the wire nut and used heat shrink insulation to cover the load wires and reconnected the wires. The fan was attached with a jury-rigged method screwed onto an old non-functioning gas pipe. The electric box was an old style that would have to be changed for a modern fan so I gave up on a new fan. I used heat shrink insulation on the load and neutral wired to the fan and put the old fan back in. After "fixing" the fan it ran well without sparking. I told DH not to use the fan other than balance it. He Googled a procedure to balance the fan that started with turning the fan on reverse. After reversing the fan, it made a sound and did not work. Considering the wonky electric box that won't take a modern fixture, I decided we should quit while we are ahead, since we still have working light in the room. I might get brave (or stupid) and open it up and try to troubleshoot with my VOM.
Frontier Router
Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #2480

Frontier Router

Our 12 year old router from Verizon was acting up, so I called Frontier and asked them to send me a new router. A few days later the router arrived, and I tried to set it up. No Luck.
I called tech support and spent 2 hours on the phone trying various things. No Luck.
Today a tech from Frontier showed up, and I explained the problem to him. He laughed, and told me that the tech was trying to set up the router using the PPPoE protocol, but in California it is ADHC
The guy was great!! He got my router going, then helped me set up our smartphones, our readers, and last but not least, our smart TV!
Life is good!
Closed Thread