Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #2481
Moderator Emeritus

On DW's Inogen G3 Oxygen generator (pic below), the unit was making a rattling noise when making O2. She said she "dropped" it recently. Well, the owner and maintenance manual said not to try to disassemble the unit as it will void the warranty. So be it, but the thing is not in warranty anyway.

Having a very small star bit with a center hole (tricky fasteners on the device), I managed to take it apart. I found the tiny compressor had been jolted off its shock mounts from her dropping the unit. With some delicate maneuvering of the compressor (so small it will fit in your shirt pocket), I managed to get it back in place and secured it within the shock mounts.

So she is back in business!

inogen g3.jpeg
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #2482
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been remodeling our kitchen. Did everything except the quartz countertop and will have the backsplash done by a contractor.

Almost done.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM   #2483
Moderator Emeritus

sdtech - Wow! Very Nice!!
Old 02-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #2484
Moderator Emeritus

I'm starting my winter auto maintenance routine next week.

Thr BMW will get:

Oil leak fixed - Replace oil filter housing seal (3 hours and hard to get to)

All new engine cooling:

New Radiator
New Expansion tank
New Upper and lower hoses
New water pump
New thermostat
New serpentine belts, new idler pulleys
and a few odds and ends.

Also:

Changing transmission and differential oils
Changing Engine oil and filter

Parts arrive Tuesday/Wednesday.

The above should keep me busy for a few days.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:40 PM   #2485
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Took my van in for an oil change at Pep boys, as the web site said it was $55 after $20 off coupon for synthetic, and they do tire rotation for free.
So I get there and ask how much is a tire rotation as I wanted to know what's it worth.
He said free, you don't even need to buy anything.
weird...
So he writes up the order for the oil, and tells me it will be $104 ??
I explain the web site said $55, but he says my van takes more oil and the filter costs more.
He said my van takes 7 quarts, but I looked it up before and I was sure it was 6 or 6.5 quarts, so that worried me a bit.
I told him forget it, I'll take it to the dealer for $60.
Then I asked, since I'm here, can I get the free tire rotation , and they did it for free
Old 02-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #2486
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Latest strategy, in the struggle against too much rain staying in my yard, is to buy a few bags of topsoil and contour the terrain to get the rain to flow onto the apron of my driveway and then into the street. I already have the rain corralled into the front yard (which is better than before, when it rose up around my heat pump), but now it collects in a low spot near the sidewalk and slowly drains down under the sidewalk, and I'm worried about what the water is doing under the sidewalk. (probably nothing, but....) If this works, it will let me avoid having to put a big ugly drain pipe across the front yard to the apron. Improving bit by bit, storm by storm.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #2487

Working on getting the concrete countertops in my kitchen remodel to turn out the way I (and especially my wife) want to. Lots of practicing...IMG_1367.JPG
Old 02-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #2488

The roller brush from my Aerus vacuum was rattling. It was a broken shaft in the end cap. I made a replacement end cap by sticking a piece of Paper Mate pen barrel through a hole in a rectangular piece of a plastic low voltage box and using a cable tie as a spacer. It worked great for a minute, then the pen barrel wore down too much. I had to decide between spending $20 for a whole new roller because nobody seems to sell the end cap alone, or buying an $8 UHMW-PE rod, cutting and filing it into a shaft/spacer, and screwing it to another piece of low voltage box. I chose the latter but I don't even know if it will be stiff enough when not molded in one piece.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #2489
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Took my van in for an oil change at Pep boys, as the web site said it was $55 after $20 off coupon for synthetic, and they do tire rotation for free.
So I get there and ask how much is a tire rotation as I wanted to know what's it worth.
He said free, you don't even need to buy anything.
weird...
So he writes up the order for the oil, and tells me it will be $104 ??
I explain the web site said $55, but he says my van takes more oil and the filter costs more.
He said my van takes 7 quarts, but I looked it up before and I was sure it was 6 or 6.5 quarts, so that worried me a bit.
I told him forget it, I'll take it to the dealer for $60.
Then I asked, since I'm here, can I get the free tire rotation , and they did it for free
So I checked Toyota dealers, and they were offering what amounted to $10 off the oil change, which made it $59 for full synthetic.

I went there and got that done.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:05 AM   #2490
Give me a forum ...

few days ago pulled into garage, then the door started going up, down, up, down.......
Flipping off circuit breaker of the opener stopped it. Reset breaker... up, down.....
Remove battery from remote stopped it.
Open remote, found the leaf switch was no longer spring like, remained near closed, minor vibration would close it thus sending commands to opener.
Remove leaf switch, it was riveted in, not really practical to drill out rivets, which were soldered to foil traces. Dig through my vast collection of stuff, find a small micro switch. Solder on wires then then solder wires to where leaf switch was. Use hot glue to keep microswitch in position. Needed some mods to plastic button actuator to accomadate the taller microswitch, by using burr tool to make space.
Insert battery, test, works fine, should last a long time. It is a Genie remote.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #2491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
few days ago pulled into garage, then the door started going up, down, up, down.......
Flipping off circuit breaker of the opener stopped it. Reset breaker... up, down.....
Remove battery from remote stopped it.
Open remote, found the leaf switch was no longer spring like, remained near closed, minor vibration would close it thus sending commands to opener.
Remove leaf switch, it was riveted in, not really practical to drill out rivets, which were soldered to foil traces. Dig through my vast collection of stuff, find a small micro switch. Solder on wires then then solder wires to where leaf switch was. Use hot glue to keep microswitch in position. Needed some mods to plastic button actuator to accomadate the taller microswitch, by using burr tool to make space.
Insert battery, test, works fine, should last a long time. It is a Genie remote.

Good job. I have a few salvaged micro-momentary switches saved for such an occasion.
Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #2492

Both of my small generators failed during the recent four day power outage.
On day one I fired up the 1300W Chinese made Alton to run the refrigerator, some lights, the tankless water heater, and propane fireplace fan - alternately the TV/satellite box in the evening. Started on first pull, great!
Day two it stopped suddenly and would not restart. No spark.
OK, no problem, bring out the trusty Yamaha EF1000is. After two pulls it fired up and we are back in business, super!…..for about an hour, and then that one dies too. No spark. Bummer, - It’s cold, damp, dark and I have no internet.
Next up, I turn to the 1500W power inverter and my idling truck for juice.
That gets me through to day three when there is a little sun breaking out and I can investigate the problems.
The Alton has a faulty ignition coil, no easy fix.
The Yamaha has a failed crankcase powered pulse fuel pump. The crankcase is now seriously overfilled with gas/oil mix that triggered a sensor to cut off the ignition. The solution was to drain the crankcase, fill with fresh oil, bypass the fuel pump and use the gas tank from the Alton perched on a box to gravity feed fuel to the carb. Started on first pull to finish out days 3-4. Replacement parts have been ordered.
Lesson learned - having multiple backups is prudent.
Old 02-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #2493
Give me a forum ...

My car automobile saga continues, as when I was at the Dealer, they did a load test on the battery (not requested) and told me it failed, battery was 4 yrs old.

I told them I didn't want to replace it as I had no issues. (I also had a battery I bought late last year for free in the kitchen).

So while I had been waiting for warm weather, this convinced me to change out the battery with my new one.
So I did, and nearly had a heart attack, for when I started up the Van, it started right away, then displayed message "Check Power Steering, Battery Failure" or something like that, then the car shut off.
I had that panicky feeling, and even wondered did I hook it up backwards ??
I checked the posts, and all was fine.
Turned the key on part-way and looked at the screen, no bad news , started the van, it started, no messages.
Turned on the radio - it didn't lose any stations, so I guess I didn't need to write them down.
I drove it around the block, and all is fine.

Then I put my 4 yr old battery in DW's car as she had a 7yr 4 month old battery in hers that has completely died about 4 times (due to long absences).
Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #2494
Recycles dryer sheets

Laying Floor

Continuing saga of remodeling home. Just about finished laying engineered hardwood on the next room. Can't say enough good things about the DeWalt battery powered floor staple gun and knee pads.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #2495
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My car automobile saga continues, as when I was at the Dealer, they did a load test on the battery (not requested) and told me it failed, battery was 4 yrs old.

I told them I didn't want to replace it as I had no issues. (I also had a battery I bought late last year for free in the kitchen).

So while I had been waiting for warm weather, this convinced me to change out the battery with my new one.
So I did, and nearly had a heart attack, for when I started up the Van, it started right away, then displayed message "Check Power Steering, Battery Failure" or something like that, then the car shut off.
I had that panicky feeling, and even wondered did I hook it up backwards ??
I checked the posts, and all was fine.
Turned the key on part-way and looked at the screen, no bad news , started the van, it started, no messages.
Turned on the radio - it didn't lose any stations, so I guess I didn't need to write them down.
I drove it around the block, and all is fine.

Then I put my 4 yr old battery in DW's car as she had a 7yr 4 month old battery in hers that has completely died about 4 times (due to long absences).
Last summer, I did an experiment with my 3 year old car battery. First place said that the load test failed. I moved on to three more auto parts stores that test batteries for free. Two of them said it passed and the third said it failed. I put the battery back in the SUV (last July) and it's still starting the car.

Go figure......
Old 02-25-2019, 08:35 PM   #2496
Give me a forum ...

Replaced the worn-out battery in my smartphone.

A Youtube video shows how easy it is to pry off the back cover. It took me 15 minutes. Once I finally had the back cover off, discovered that it was because it was glued onto the phone body with double-sided sticky tape on one of its 4 sides. Arghhh!

At one point, I told my wife that this might just be the day I had to go get a new phone at Costco because I ruined this one.

The phone was put back together, and I am waiting to see how long the new battery will last. The original battery was so worn, it could barely last through the night when the phone was not plugged in.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #2497
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Replaced the worn-out battery in my smartphone.

A Youtube video shows how easy it is to pry off the back cover. It took me 15 minutes. Once I finally had the back cover off, discovered that it was because it was glued onto the phone body with double-sided sticky tape on one of its 4 sides. Arghhh!

At one point, I told my wife that this might just be the day I had to go get a new phone at Costco because I ruined this one.

The phone was put back together, and I am waiting to see how long the new battery will last. The original battery was so worn, it could barely last through the night when the phone was not plugged in.
For a guy that is building his own solar system, changing a cell phone battery should have been "duck soup".
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #2498
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
... changing a cell phone battery should have been "duck soup".
Not when they glued the darn thing shut!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:12 PM   #2499

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Last summer, I did an experiment with my 3 year old car battery. First place said that the load test failed. I moved on to three more auto parts stores that test batteries for free. Two of them said it passed and the third said it failed. I put the battery back in the SUV (last July) and it's still starting the car.

Go figure......
What I’ve found is that they last a long time as long as you’re using them every day. Like when you drive 15+ minutes to work each day. That charges the battery and the engine stays loose. Then, you stress the battery by going on vacation or get a really bad cold snap and they give out on you. I look at batteries like tires, change them before you need to or they’ll burn you when you need them. SIL tried to get me to get a battery jumper battery. I said that by the time I need it, it will be dead. May as well get a new battery more often.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
The roller brush from my Aerus vacuum...broken shaft in the end cap...$8 UHMW-PE rod, cutting and filing it into a shaft/spacer...
That lasted twice as long as the Paper Mate pen. It looks like there was some twisting of the UHMW-PE, not just wear. I'm going to Home Depot to look for a nylon bolt that I can file into a shaft.

BTW, UHMW-PE isn't hard to file. It was so easy that I'm thinking it could have worn out spinning in a metal hole for a couple of minutes, but I'm hoping it was a strength issue that nylon will fix.
Closed Thread