Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #2701
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hoping to be able to repair a leaking Homelite weed whacker gas powered 2 cycle. Leaks gas where 2 lines enter the plastic gas tank from above. Looks like some plastic grommet has come loose there. Afraid to use force without knowing what's what. Will visit a store and look at a similar weed whacker to see what a non-leaking one looks like.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 06:30 AM   #2702

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Hoping to be able to repair a leaking Homelite weed whacker gas powered 2 cycle. Leaks gas where 2 lines enter the plastic gas tank from above. Looks like some plastic grommet has come loose there. Afraid to use force without knowing what's what. Will visit a store and look at a similar weed whacker to see what a non-leaking one looks like.
The fuel lines are probably shot. They're easily replaceable -- a bunch of eBay vendors sell replacement lines ... like this https://www.ebay.com/p/16011419574?iid=383148215800
Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #2703
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just had to strip my motorcycle down to the frame under the tank just to get to the connectors to replace the crap plastic stock turn signals that keep breaking. Every European vehicle I have ever owned has been a bear to deal with when it came to any kind of electrical work whatsoever.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #2704
gone traveling

Rebuilding a lifting hydraulic arm on my old John Deere backhoe (1 of 2 bucket tilt arms). I already replaced the original hydro hoses on the FEL, just need to replace rear hoe/control hoses
Old 09-24-2019, 10:22 AM   #2705
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
......Every European vehicle I have ever owned has been a bear to deal with when it came to any kind of electrical work whatsoever.
Is Lucas Electric still in business?
Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 PM   #2706
Give me a forum ...

I installed a new HW tank in January and now the hot water stinks...that's common around here due to the mineral content of the well water. Once the anode rod starts to corrode often the hot water starts to stink.

I had previously moved the tank as it was in the way of some plumbing work so this evening I drained it to move it back and while it was empty I removed the anode rod and no longer have stinky hot water.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:59 AM   #2707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I installed a new HW tank in January and now the hot water stinks...that's common around here due to the mineral content of the well water. Once the anode rod starts to corrode often the hot water starts to stink.

I had previously moved the tank as it was in the way of some plumbing work so this evening I drained it to move it back and while it was empty I removed the anode rod and no longer have stinky hot water.
You should look into a powered anode rod as you need something to prevent the corrosive nature of the well water from attacking the tank itself. If you have no anode rod your tank won't last very long.

Powered anode rods are non-sacrificial rods (meaning they don’t degrade like a normal anode rod) which use electrical pulses to deal with corrosive elements in your water. These pulses scatter the harmful electrons, preventing them from accumulating along the lining of your tank.

Overall, there are quite a few advantages to using powered anode rods. They don’t degrade, prevent smelly water (by killing anaerobic bacteria that leads to that rotten egg smell), and protect your hot water heater from corrosive elements in the water.
Old 09-27-2019, 06:20 AM   #2708
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
You should look into a powered anode rod as you need something to prevent the corrosive nature of the well water from attacking the tank itself. If you have no anode rod your tank won't last very long.

Powered anode rods are non-sacrificial rods (meaning they don’t degrade like a normal anode rod) which use electrical pulses to deal with corrosive elements in your water. These pulses scatter the harmful electrons, preventing them from accumulating along the lining of your tank.

Overall, there are quite a few advantages to using powered anode rods. They don’t degrade, prevent smelly water (by killing anaerobic bacteria that leads to that rotten egg smell), and protect your hot water heater from corrosive elements in the water.
+1. I only learned of these electric anodes after our new water heater developed this odor and after I replaced the anode with the alternate type. (I think the old one had the anode worn out). I wish I had gone electric instead.

They have that at Amazon for ~ $120. Here's a top seller.

https://smile.amazon.com/Corro-Prote...9586526&sr=8-4

-ERD50
Old 09-27-2019, 06:36 AM   #2709
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
I had thought about getting one but never got around to it. I should probably look into it.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #2710
gone traveling

Repaired my lawn mower, I bought a carb rebuild kit for $5 from Amazon and went to town I was blown away that my repair worked.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #2711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I had thought about getting one but never got around to it. I should probably look into it.
I also removed the anode rod due to stinky water and my water heater only lasted 21 years.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #2712
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Is Lucas Electric still in business?
In spirit, if nothing else. It is a Triumph bike after all

The saga continues. Had to order a special spacer because the thread of the turn signal assembly otherwise digs into the radiator hose to the point where I can't get the washer and bolt on to tighten it down.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:42 PM   #2713
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
In spirit, if nothing else. It is a Triumph bike after all

The saga continues. Had to order a special spacer because the thread of the turn signal assembly otherwise digs into the radiator hose to the point where I can't get the washer and bolt on to tighten it down.
Is Triumph still using Whitworth threads?
Old 09-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #2714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Is Triumph still using Whitworth threads?
If so, that would be a triumph of longevity.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:17 AM   #2715
Give me a forum ...

I listened to a friend go on about his 1-year old pressure washer, and how it wouldn't start. This friend is very mechanical and capable.

I decided to not try my 5-year old pressure washer, and fixed it by buying a small electric Ryobi pressure washer. It has lasted at least 4 hours of use.

In due time I will try the larger drag-around washer, and decide its fate. Maybe give it to my friend?
Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #2716

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I listened to a friend go on about his 1-year old pressure washer, and how it wouldn't start. This friend is very mechanical and capable.

If it's just a year old it should still be under warranty, most pressure washer manufacturers cover at least 2 years on the engine.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #2717

Repaired a window screen for my aunt; easy fix. But the toy plastic spline tool that Lowe’s sells was such a piece of carp they should be ashamed of themselves! It literally broke after I splined three inches. I went to the local mom and pop hardware store and bought a real tool with steel wheels and a wooden handle.

Sorry, that was my pet peeve of the day, I suppose.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #2718

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I listened to a friend go on about his 1-year old pressure washer, and how it wouldn't start. This friend is very mechanical and capable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
If it's just a year old it should still be under warranty, most pressure washer manufacturers cover at least 2 years on the engine.
Pressure washers are notorious for this behavior. DS is only 30 but he's on his 3rd pressure washer. Sometimes it's defective. But often it's caused by a gummed up carburetor due to infrequent use, old fuel, too much ethanol, etc. I use a fuel additive that was recommended by the pressure washer manufacturer. Also, before winter, I run the engine until it's out of gas, so no fuel sits in the carburetor or lines for an extended period. I do the same with my mower and other small-engine equipment. So far, I've not had any problem starting any of these engines and many of them are 10-20 years old.
Reseating Refrigerator Compartment Cover
Old 10-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #2719

Reseating Refrigerator Compartment Cover

Not really a repair but a fix of sorts. In our refrigerator there is a compartment with a clear plastic cover about 32" x 4" . Somehow that cover had become unseated............the cover has a short tab on each end and there are corresponding holes is the refrigerator where the tabs fit. With 1 tab in its hole, I tried to bend the plastic cover to insert the other tab.......I couldn't do it and I was afraid to use too much force for fear of breaking the plastic door.

Eventually I remembered the geometry of right triangles....that the diagonal was longer than the sides. With 1 tab inserted and the door at an angle, I put the other tab along the other side where it would be inserted, then slowly moved it up along the wall so there would a slow controlled bend in the plastic door until the free tab met the open hole and got inserted. It worked!
Old 10-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #2720
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
Yeah. That's his problem. It's a Generac.
Closed Thread