Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 06:05 PM   #2761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With the bed low to ground, you can also be sure that no monster will be able to hide under the bed, and to spring out in the middle of the night.
And with removing any mirrors in the bedrom one can be sure that if a monster shows up, won't see two of them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:06 PM   #2762
Give me a forum ...

Uh Oh!

I just went out and looked at the box the shaft came in. It said "New", "Premium Quality", and also "Made in China".

Hmmm... I recently replaced the half-shaft on another vehicle, and it is OK so far. Forgot what brand that one was, but this one is GSP.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #2763
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Uh Oh!

I just went out and looked at the box the shaft came in. It said "New", "Premium Quality", and also "Made in China".

Hmmm... I recently replaced the half-shaft on another vehicle, and it is OK so far. Forgot what brand that one was, but this one is GSP.
Yes, we all believe the notations on the Chinese boxes to be true!

These are probably OK on normal, light duty service use. I tried a couple on my BMW and they failed after a while. One problem is that the cheap shafts I used were hollow and the OEM ones were solid and could handle more torque.

i remember on one shaft the spline was damaged and it wouldn't go into the hub.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #2764
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
... One problem is that the cheap shafts I used were hollow and the OEM ones were solid and could handle more torque. ...
Actually FWIW, the stiffness of a shaft like that goes as the fourth power of the diameter. The steel towards the center contributes almost nothing to strength or torsional stiffness. It just adds weight and shipping cost.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #2765
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Actually FWIW, the stiffness of a shaft like that goes as the fourth power of the diameter. The steel towards the center contributes almost nothing to strength or torsional stiffness. It just adds weight and shipping cost.
I'll search for a picture of my broken half shaft from my BMW and post it if I can find it.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #2766
Give me a forum ...

I already forgot about the weight of the half-shaft that I put in the other car earlier, but this one I just did, the thing is heavy like heck, just like the OEM one.

About the other side half-shaft, I am going to replace it too. Boot is torn, and the joint is worn. The car is drivable, so there's no hurry.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #2767
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'll search for a picture of my broken half shaft from my BMW and post it if I can find it.
Oh, I don't doubt that it broke. I have seen plenty of twisted half-shafts on race cars. But it almost certainly wasn't the hollow center that is to blame. Maybe crummy steel, maybe corrosion. Look carefully at the broken/exposed steel. Sometimes you can actually see where there was a radial crack that had corrosion and was creeping in. Maybe just a rough surface; really serious half-shafts are shot peened to keep cracks from starting at the surface. Or a stress raiser where there was a sharp transition between diameters like at the ends.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #2768
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Uh Oh!

I recently used a half shaft from APW International which is also a new Chinese Made Half Shaft. It's been on the car about 6 months and is fine. I'm having better luck with the new Chinese shafts than with the rebuilt ones. The last rebuilt ones I got were 0.015" too small on the diameter were the oil seal rides and it leaked.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:23 PM   #2769
Give me a forum ...

Parts for older cars are amazingly cheap. Unless it is for an exotic car, I think the overstock is liquidated for dirt cheap, because if the vendor sits on it for too long, he may have to throw it away.

Here's an example that I just look up on Amazon. Both are new, not reman'.

Half-shaft for 2000 Honda Accord: less than $50 for 1 side, shipping included.

The same, but for 2014 Honda Accord: $160, also for 1 side.

PS. If you cannot do it yourself, the difference of the part costs becomes insignificant inside the total bill due to labor charges.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:57 PM   #2770
Give me a forum ...

Fixed the ice water dispenser on my fridge. Two year old grandson had hit the "extra ice" button and the next day, no water would come out of the dispenser. I suspected the line had frozen and an internet search found this to be a common problem. I found this YouTube video on how to fix it with a syringe and a length of thin tubing like IV line. It took about 6 shots of hot water to do the trick, but eventually a little ice slug shot out and then water.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:27 AM   #2771
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Investigating a slow leak of water into the toilet tank from the inlet ballcock. Disassembled the top assembly, thought I needed new neoprene washers in there since the old ones were actually looking pretty rotted, almost crumbling! Bought 3 new washers, but after some more looking at the thing, appears that the washers are actually supposed to allow water IN, just at a controlled angle, so new washers won't fix it. Looked back in my notes and saw that I had previously found a crack in the inlet tube years ago, and had sealed the crack with 'plumbers goop' which has held for several years. Spent a long time staring at the inlet tube trying to find a crack with 'plumbers goop' on it. Panicked, thought I might never find it, but have finally located it. Next step is to buy a brand new tube of plumbers goop (old one is used up on other stuff, works great) and reglue the crack, hope that fixes it. Alternative to regluing crack is to replace the entire ballcock with a FluidMaster ballcock, but that would involve removing old plastic nuts at bottom of tank which may crack apart under stress, also may need to loosen up other tank bolts, and all that potential nightmare, where the supposed one hour job turns into a 3 day affair with multiple trips to hdw store, and lots of Youtubing, lol.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #2772
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've replaced the entire guts of a few toilet tanks. It's surprisingly easy, as the $15 kits I bought had everything inside, including the plastic nuts for the outside bottom of the tank.
As long as you can reach the underneath, I've never found a need to remove the tank for this type of replacement.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #2773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I've replaced the entire guts of a few toilet tanks. It's surprisingly easy, as the $15 kits I bought had everything inside, including the plastic nuts for the outside bottom of the tank.
As long as you can reach the underneath, I've never found a need to remove the tank for this type of replacement.
What he said. It really isn't that hard. The kits come with all new bolts and stuff so if some of the old hardware does crumble at the touch of a wrench it's not an issue.

Now, if that's the only toilet in the house like where I grew up, the pressure is on!
Old 12-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #2774
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
..........Now, if that's the only toilet in the house like where I grew up, the pressure is on!
One can flush a toilet with a bucket of water.
Your recent repair?
Old 12-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #2775
Recycles dryer sheets

Your recent repair?

Replaced my 20 year old garage door opener today. Took 4 hours and wore me out. The old gray mare...
Old 12-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #2776

Re: air cleaner with a mind of its own:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
So, I tried opening it to clean it from the inside and discovered two of the six screws aren't ordinary Philips heads. A 1/8" allen wrench fit one of them well enough that I was able remove it with difficulty. They're T20 tamper proof screws but the one I removed had a short stem so the allen wrench fit. For the other one I ordered a screwdriver from Hong Kong ($2) so I'm suddenly extra interested in a resolution to their conflict.
I got the screwdriver and opened up the air cleaner but there was no visible dirt at the switches that I could see. I think they're capacitive switches that you barely have to touch (when they work). I didn't know what to do to make a better connection between the springs and the foil looking thing they press against so I just reassembled it and cleaned up some of the interior of the case. The motor and fan blades didn't look so dirty so I didn't bother to access that area for a complete cleaning. It seemed like I accomplished nothing but it's working now. Maybe the dust that I did clean was causing static or reseating the switches created better contact somehow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1810.jpg (479.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #2777
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced our water filter discharge piping. It had developed a leak. Hopefully now it will be good for another 25 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 7.32.41 AM.jpg (412.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #2778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samething View Post
Replaced my 20 year old garage door opener today. Took 4 hours and wore me out. The old gray mare...
Heh, that reminded me of my own garage door opener project. Got the original pair of openers back in 1990. The first one broke about 10 years in. Not too impressive, but 10 years is 10 years. Sears had a great sale going on at the time, so I figured, well, what the heck, the other one will probably bust soon too, so I'll just go ahead and buy the pair so that I have the second one ready to go when it happens.

Well, it's a hair shy of 2020 now and the Sears replacement opener for door #1 still works like a charm (20-year life span so far). Not bad!
However, it's Sears mate is still sitting in the original box in the back of the garage as the 1990 model of door #2 is still hanging in there, and I have been able to procrastinate about its replacement for all this time.... now THAT takes dedication to the task...
Old 12-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #2779

I just replaced the GFCI outlets around our house with GFCI breakers. We had a power line go down last week that caused a power surge. When the power came back on the GFCI's made a terrible noise and smoke came out. I figured I would put all the GFCI's in one place in the breaker panel instead of all over the house. Spendy though, cost me $250 for five breakers!

I also replaced the GFCI outlet in our pump house, but there was no reason to opt for the spendier breaker when it's only two feet above the outlet.

The power surge also burned out one of my network switches. Fairly inexpensive and not hard to replace, other than it's located in our crawlspace. Always fun to go down with the dust and spider webs.

When I was replacing the GFCI's in the garage, I noticed the other outlets were the dingy almond color with broken covers and a few with minor damage. So I'm in the process of replacing the outlets in the garage with clean new white ones. I've done ten so far, still have another 5-6 to do when I can find the time. No rush, I'm not out there much in the winter.

Last week the battery in my daughters car died, so I had to replace that. Then my wife's car battery died a few days ago, so I had to replace hers too.

Today I need to clean our sink drain. I just cleaned and snaked it several weeks ago but it's plugged up again. I must have missed something in there.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #2780
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Replaced our water filter discharge piping. It had developed a leak. Hopefully now it will be good for another 25 years.
lol... at first glance, I thought all the silver color was duct tape
Closed Thread