Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #3121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, how did you determine it was the right cap for this application? Was it based on the model number?
I remembered that these things aren't exact. Maximum capacities and temperature ratings don't have to match. I think I looked at the voltage and I was satisfied enough to install it. We all have our own ways of taking risks. After installation I saw that the part number was identical. Here's the webpage with the part I ordered. I attached a picture of the part I got (the two pictures to the right). It has a higher voltage rating and higher maximum operating temperature.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...he should just calmly ask about the potential dangers.
I read what pros do on other sites and watched videos. They use resistors to discharge, discharge in multiple ways to be sure, and use insulated handle tools to unplug the capacitor. A retirement forum isn't the place to get this information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AC-capacitors.jpg (649.8 KB, 20 views)
Boho is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #3122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
he amps that the A/C draws has almost nothing to do with the amp rating of that capacitor. It's only part of the circuit.
It's a part that runs practically everything aside from the display. Seems it would be touched by the amps that the AC draws at some point. How much of it is stored and discharged is the question. I believe everyone who says it's not deadly but I think you're all right the way people who listen to "the word on the street" are often right. I try not to get life or death information from such sources.
Boho is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #3123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
........ A retirement forum isn't the place to get this information.
Well yeah, but it does weed out the fools that kill themselves young.
travelover is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #3124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sunset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Posts: 11,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Well yeah, but it does weed out the fools that kill themselves young.
+1
There is a built-in survivor bias
__________________
Fortune favors the prepared mind. ... Louis Pasteur
Sunset is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #3125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
euro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,620


euro is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #3126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Some of the members are pretty young though. The best part about this forum for DIY advice is the large membership. I think it compares well to responses I'd get on doityourself.com.
Boho is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #3127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 23,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The amps that the A/C draws has almost nothing to do with the amp rating of that capacitor. It's only part of the circuit.
It's a part that runs practically everything aside from the display. Seems it would be touched by the amps that the AC draws at some point. How much of it is stored and discharged is the question. I believe everyone who says it's not deadly but I think you're all right the way people who listen to "the word on the street" are often right. I try not to get life or death information from such sources.
Boho, you have no idea what you are talking about. That bold makes no sense at all. Why do you say things with certainty, in areas where you have no knowledge?

The start/run capacitor for the fan motor does not "run practically everything aside from the display". That's non-sense. The main current draw in a A/C is the compressor motor.

Regardless, a run/start capacitor doesn't even "run" the motor, it only sees a portion of the motor current, to provide the needed phase shift during the start/run period.

I'll stop here, this is degrading the useful knowledge in this thread. If you want to learn electronics, there are sources for that. In the mean time, stop pretending you know what you are talking about, and stop challenging people who have 45+ years experience and some accreditation and accomplishments in the field.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now  
Old 07-11-2020, 02:06 PM   #3128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The start/run capacitor for the fan motor
I think you've mentioned before that the fan motor capacitor is separate from the compressor capacitor, and it sounds like you're saying it again. I read "In many cases, compressors and the condenser fan motor share a dual capacitor." I was under the impression that's what my AC has. All I know about you is you were in manufacturing somehow, then you tell me ACs have two different capacitors. I'm not going to be messing with AC capacitors solely based on what you tell me.

https://highperformancehvac.com/run-...hvac-motors-1/

Quote:
A motor AC run capacitor (or start capacitor) can cause serious injury or worse
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The start/run capacitor for the fan motor does not "run practically everything aside from the display". That's non-sense. The main current draw in a A/C is the compressor motor.
Well, it starts the compressor and the fan (the dual type), right? I've heard it takes more power to start up.
Boho is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 03:11 PM   #3129
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Well just to continue this horse flogging, run capacitors are across the motor windings, this discharges the cap almost immediately at shut off.
Not true of start capacitors.
See motor/cap circled in red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air Cond, Fan and Comp Caps.jpg (65.6 KB, 18 views)
Time2 is offline  
Old 07-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #3130
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 23,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
I think you've mentioned before that the fan motor capacitor is separate from the compressor capacitor, and it sounds like you're saying it again. I read "In many cases, compressors and the condenser fan motor share a dual capacitor." I was under the impression that's what my AC has. All I know about you is you were in manufacturing somehow, then you tell me ACs have two different capacitors. I'm not going to be messing with AC capacitors solely based on what you tell me.

https://highperformancehvac.com/run-...hvac-motors-1/





Well, it starts the compressor and the fan (the dual type), right? I've heard it takes more power to start up.
You could have any number of electrical and physical arrangements for the capacitors for the fan and/or compressor, it just depends on the particular design. But that's not my point.

My point is you keep making statements and assumptions that have no basis in anything. The nameplate rating on a unit does not mean that any particular component in the unit will be handling that current. As I said, it could be far less, it could be far more. It depends.

If you got the right capacitor for the model, you should be OK. Trying to apply a warped sense of electronics to the problem won't get you any where.

It's repaired, let's move on.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now  
Old 07-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #3131
Moderator
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
One note of caution - keep away from LCD/LED displays.
In this instance, the motherboard was completely removed form the case.
I learned this the hard/easy way. I put the treadmill I got from FIL on Craigslist and couldn't find batteries, so said "timer might not work". Lots of people contacted me anyway (closed gyms, and all). But the deoxit thing...I found batteries and got the timer working by spraying the corroded battery terminals. The LCD was flakey even before; pressing on it mad it darker (visible) or lighter (invisible). Then, when the guy came to look, the LCD didn't show anything. I suspect the Deoxit made it's way to the LCD connection. But it wasn't "the hard way" completely because he still paid full asking price
sengsational is offline  
Headliner repair
Old 07-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #3132
Moderator
sengsational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,384
Headliner repair

The cloth that covers the headliner in my car suddenly fell away. One day, perfect, the next, I couldn't see out the rear view mirror. Pulling the hardware (lights, visors, etc) was easy and obvious. Getting the panel out of the car required bending the panel. At the time, I had not checked YouTube, but wrangled it out. Then I cleaned off the degraded foam. Only then did I go inside, find a video, and see if I "did it right", hehehe!



I ordered new cloth and glue. Kinda steep at $70 (delivered), but went with the one with the couple hundred mostly positive reviews (I'd like to not revisit the problem).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200713_102152136.jpg (997.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200713_110920360.jpg (599.0 KB, 38 views)
sengsational is offline  
Old 07-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #3133
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Boho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1,844
You thought I was done with my AC, didn't you? Well, I'm considering how to cover the back which sticks out past the sleeve on the terrace. IIRC, the original AC (early 1970s) was built somewhat like a window AC, with a covered back, so it went past the sleeve without looking too weird or being too exposed and the fins did their job of directing the air properly. This "new" 14 year old one is made to be used with a proper through-the-wall sleeve (I think the instructions said it "must" be used with one). From what I've heard a few years ago, there's like one person in my large building who has a proper sleeve for their AC and everyone else leaves the back cover off and lets it stick out. I'm not sure if the backs of their ACs look like mine.

So, I can buy a proper size sleeve and grind down the brick so it fits, like contractors did when they replaced all but the terrace sleeves for the whole building. If I do that I see myself getting in trouble for the dust, or else asking for permission and being told to hire a contractor (I live in a co-op). I could chisel off a layer of bricks and build it back up a bit with some kind of mortar, avoiding grinding. Or I can rig up a way to extend the current sleeve, dealing with the fact that I wouldn't be able to benefit from more vertical room that would help me tilt the AC properly.

For the last 14 years, I somehow had it barely tilted well enough so that it didn't leak in, at least not that I could tell, even with the rear cover on. It stuck in too much but I dealt with it. After I fixed it and put it back with the back cover on, it was noticeably leaking in (and out) significantly, which is why I'm letting it stick out, uncovered. I THINK it's tilted better this way, though there's no water dripping from either side now so it's hard to tell.

Anyway, I'm working on rigging something up for now. I don't want to knock something into the fins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg terrace-view.jpg (585.8 KB, 34 views)
Boho is offline  
Old 07-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #3134
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 93
Speaking of air conditioners, and I'm not sure this counts as a repair but it saved me money, my upstairs AC unit decided to blow 86 degree hot air into my bedrooms last night. Halfway up the stairs to the bedrooms I got a clue real quick when I hit that wall of hot Atlanta summertime air.

I had to change the start/run Cap in this unit last summer so didn't know what to expect. Going outside I found the compressor fan running but wasn't sure if the compressor was for sure. Turned off the entire system for five minutes, turned it back on and it started flowing with cool, sweet air. I had already arranged for a repair call for this evening (soonest available) but I can't ever seem to stop myself from putzing around when something fails. Cancelled the repair call today a few hours before the service window I was given as the AC has been fine since the reset last night. Hope I don't regret that later.

We had a number of power dumps yesterday of such short duration some of my clocks blanked and some did not. I'm thinking the compressor shut down during one of those episodes.
5Miler is offline  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:15 PM   #3135
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 22,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Miler View Post
We had a number of power dumps yesterday of such short duration some of my clocks blanked and some did not. I'm thinking the compressor shut down during one of those episodes.
That could be it, if the overload switch didn't reset after one of the power outages. If it does that again though, pull the front screen and air filter off and look for icing on the evaporator. If it's iced up, that A/C is a goner unless it's within the normal five-year warranty window for the sealed system. An iced-up evaporator on a window A/C is a strong indication of a sealed system leak, although some other unusual circumstances can cause it.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is online now  
Old 07-16-2020, 04:31 PM   #3136
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That could be it, if the overload switch didn't reset after one of the power outages. If it does that again though, pull the front screen and air filter off and look for icing on the evaporator. If it's iced up, that A/C is a goner unless it's within the normal five-year warranty window for the sealed system. An iced-up evaporator on a window A/C is a strong indication of a sealed system leak, although some other unusual circumstances can cause it.
Both of mine are honest to goodness split systems, one for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. This was my newer 10 year old system located in the attic. The downstairs unit is 29.5 years old and I have learned a lot of repairs with that system but it just keeps on chugging away. Upstairs is always a challenge as it was last night.
5Miler is offline  
Old 07-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #3137
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
John Galt III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,136
My old Sony dual cassette tape deck tc-w320 won't come on when I push in the power button. Ugh. A quick search makes me think and hope it's a fuse. Will have to take it apart and look. Another problem it has is that one of the tape doors is stuck closed with a tape inside, can't eject it.
John Galt III is offline  
Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #3138
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Telly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
My old Sony dual cassette tape deck tc-w320 won't come on when I push in the power button. Ugh. A quick search makes me think and hope it's a fuse. Will have to take it apart and look. Another problem it has is that one of the tape doors is stuck closed with a tape inside, can't eject it.
First thing I thought of, is the Eject button a mechanical eject, or is it really a switch for an electrical eject? If electrical, it won't work if there's no power.

Quick search:
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/24...page=15#manual

See the last page, Troubleshooting Guide, second symptom: The eject button does not function. Bingo!
__________________
-- Telly, the D-I-Y guy --
Two fools dancing on the hands of time
Telly is offline  
Old 07-16-2020, 11:19 PM   #3139
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
skipro33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Well just to continue this horse flogging, run capacitors are across the motor windings, this discharges the cap almost immediately at shut off.
Not true of start capacitors.
See motor/cap circled in red.

The cap you circled in read is not only the 'run' capacitor, it is the 'start' capacitor. They are the same thing.

Look at the motor windings. There are 3 connections labeled R, S and C. R is Run. S is start and C is common. One winding is between R and C or run and common. This is the run winding of the motor. Then there's the winding between the S and the C connector. This is the start winding. The same voltage that feeds the R or run terminal also feeds the S or start terminal but through the cap. The cap is a booster, like a battery, to kick start the inductive load of the start winding which boosts the run winding.
skipro33 is offline  
Old 07-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #3140
gone traveling
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
The cap you circled in read is not only the 'run' capacitor, it is the 'start' capacitor. They are the same thing.

Look at the motor windings. There are 3 connections labeled R, S and C. R is Run. S is start and C is common. One winding is between R and C or run and common. This is the run winding of the motor. Then there's the winding between the S and the C connector. This is the start winding. The same voltage that feeds the R or run terminal also feeds the S or start terminal but through the cap. The cap is a booster, like a battery, to kick start the inductive load of the start winding which boosts the run winding.

You could be right, but, a start capacitor is usually disconected after the motor starts. Also, it is labeled "RUN".


Why Must a Start Capacitor Must Drop from the Circuit After the Motor Starts?

To avoid burning out the motor windings or the capacitor itself, the huge current delivered by the start capacitor has to be turned off once the electric motor is running.



"There are two reasons the start capacitor canít stay in the circuit full time.
1. The start winding of the compressor canít carry such a heavy current continuously without overheating and burning out.
2. The start capacitors are made very compact and would overheat in a short while because they arenít big enough to dissipate heat as rapidly as itís generated."

https://inspectapedia.com/electric/S..._Operation.php





The capacitor causes a large phase shift between the start and the main windings resulting in more torque to start the motor.
https://www.brighthubengineering.com...on-run-motors/
Time2 is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your recent repair? - 2021 Gumby Life after FIRE 383 Yesterday 11:37 AM
The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020 FIREd Life after FIRE 3481 12-30-2020 05:42 AM
What's your recent concert? gcgang Other topics 153 12-12-2018 08:29 PM
Any recent experience with buying a solar system for your house? eyeonFI Other topics 68 07-07-2014 06:41 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.