Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #1141
Recycles dryer sheets

Installed an upgraded digital controller and grillgrates on the Traerger smoker today. Shrimp an tamales on the barbie to test install.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #1142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Back in the shop again. Auto insurance should cover some.

Trying to figure out an effective deterrent. Peppermint oil did not work. Trying mothballs and metal tape now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I noticed a big ragged chunk of rubber missing from the cover to the alternator post on my car. I think a rodent may be the cause. Must be the season for it!
Old 11-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Did you open the gas cap, and re-close it, or just check that it was tight? I think that sometimes a pressure build up from temperature change can trigger it as well, or re-seating the cap may help seal it. Just tightening may not do the trick. But it can take some time to clear. I wouldn't rush to do anything with that valve until I've fully eliminated the gas cap.

The light on DW's Honda CRV came on the other day after a big temperature swing, and she had filled up days before. I loosened it (and heard a 'woosh' I think), and re-seated it, and the warning went away two days later. We've never had this warning before, car is ~ 5 years old.

-ERD50
Yes, I removed the cap and reclosed it.

Other considerations:

1. No more whoosh sound lately when opening gas cap, and it comes off much more easily than it used to. It's also easier to close. Looks fine, though.

2. The car has been subjected to a dust storm of ground up leaf grit every few days from the gang of leaf blowing groundskeepers around here.

3. I found what appears to be rodent damage on a rubber cover to my alternator terminal. Wonder what else they have been chewing.

4. Why did it have to begin right after filling up at the "new" gas station? Coincidence, maybe.

I did mess with the "evap vent control valve", just to see if I could remove it without breaking it. I didn't remove it yet, but I had the vacuum hose off it and looked inside. Very clean. Still don't know how to remove it without breaking it. Have to figure out exactly where to place what tool, and what direction to push, squeeze, pull, twist etc. to get the electrical connector off. Not coming off easily. Manual just says "remove electrical connector", no tricks revealed about how.

Went to the Nissan dealer to get some free info, and the guy was nice, and told me a lot about what could be the cause, but was vague about the gas cap and whether a 5 year old gas cap with no rips is good enough. I might buy a cheap cap which seats more tightly than the current cap, and
hope it fixes the problem.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #1144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Yes, I removed the cap and reclosed it.

Other considerations:

1. No more whoosh sound lately when opening gas cap, and it comes off much more easily than it used to. It's also easier to close. Looks fine, though.

2. The car has been subjected to a dust storm of ground up leaf grit every few days from the gang of leaf blowing groundskeepers around here.

3. I found what appears to be rodent damage on a rubber cover to my alternator terminal. Wonder what else they have been chewing.

4. Why did it have to begin right after filling up at the "new" gas station? Coincidence, maybe.

I did mess with the "evap vent control valve", just to see if I could remove it without breaking it. I didn't remove it yet, but I had the vacuum hose off it and looked inside. Very clean. Still don't know how to remove it without breaking it. Have to figure out exactly where to place what tool, and what direction to push, squeeze, pull, twist etc. to get the electrical connector off. Not coming off easily. Manual just says "remove electrical connector", no tricks revealed about how.

Went to the Nissan dealer to get some free info, and the guy was nice, and told me a lot about what could be the cause, but was vague about the gas cap and whether a 5 year old gas cap with no rips is good enough. I might buy a cheap cap which seats more tightly than the current cap, and
hope it fixes the problem.
Maybe I missed it, but did you have Autozone clear the code to see if it comes back?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 PM   #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Back in the shop again. Auto insurance should cover some.

Trying to figure out an effective deterrent. Peppermint oil did not work. Trying mothballs and metal tape now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Ed, I'm not a violent person unless you mess with my cars. We use to have a rodent problem with the little buggers getting in the engine compartment of our older stored vehicles. As soon as Fall rolls around I start setting the killing traps. At first my husband didn't want to kill them. I had to laugh, he bought those have-a-heart traps for mice. He'd catch them, take them outside, release them and catch the same ones the next day. He finally agreed they were the same ones after I put a little blue hair spray on one of the little buggers and he caught it the following day. Maybe it's time for you to set the killing traps!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:51 AM   #1146
gone traveling

One of the very few things that I've seen on MMM that resonates with me :

"When I first started do-it-yourself home renovation, at least part of the motivation was a desire to save some serious money. But in recent years the need to conserve money has faded away completely and yet I find myself more enthusiastic about building and fixing stuff than ever. This is because learning new skills, solving puzzles and creating finished products you can be proud of is not just something you do for money – it’s the purpose of life itself.

So when confronted with a choice between fixing something yourself and hiring it out, you do well if you push your comfort zone just little a bit further each time. Just remember the mantra: “This is possible, and plenty of people with fewer advantages than me have accomplished the same thing many times in the past”

Then you get to work, read the instructions, tinker, make mistakes, learn, and succeed. And continue to build on that success, forever."
Old 11-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #1147

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Ed, I'm not a violent person unless you mess with my cars. We use to have a rodent problem with the little buggers getting in the engine compartment of our older stored vehicles. As soon as Fall rolls around I start setting the killing traps. At first my husband didn't want to kill them. I had to laugh, he bought those have-a-heart traps for mice. He'd catch them, take them outside, release them and catch the same ones the next day. He finally agreed they were the same ones after I put a little blue hair spray on one of the little buggers and he caught it the following day. Maybe it's time for you to set the killing traps!
I had mice make a nest in my HVAC system in my 88 GTA when it was stored in my garage one fall/winter. They ripped off the insulation from the hood to use as building material. My solution which has worked so far, is to prop the hood open all winter ( I have it off insurance then anyway and don't drive it) which takes away the overhead cover the mice want, supposedly. Working so far! Plus I set kill traps and have gotten rid of plenty of them that way.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:05 AM   #1148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Maybe I missed it, but did you have Autozone clear the code to see if it comes back?
No, I didn't think of it.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:32 AM   #1149
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
No, I didn't think of it.
Get this (or equiv):

Amazon.com: Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Scan Tool Check Engine Light Car Code Reader: Automotive

and a FREE app for smartphone/tablet/laptop (with bluetooth edit - I see they also make wifi & usb versions) and for $15 you will have far more capability that the $50+ code readers. This reads all sorts of things from the ODBII, can monitor while you drive, and reset codes as well.

-ERD50
Old 11-25-2015, 08:14 AM   #1150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had mice make a nest in my HVAC system in my 88 GTA when it was stored in my garage one fall/winter. They ripped off the insulation from the hood to use as building material. My solution which has worked so far, is to prop the hood open all winter ( I have it off insurance then anyway and don't drive it) which takes away the overhead cover the mice want, supposedly. Working so far! Plus I set kill traps and have gotten rid of plenty of them that way.
I use dryer sheets liberally to keep rodents away from my hobby car while it is stored over the winter. I put them in the exhaust, engine compartment, trunk and inside under the seats. The interior is more for cosmetic purposes. Some people claim they are effective....I never had a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think recycled ones would be effective!
Old 11-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #1151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I use dryer sheets liberally to keep rodents away from my hobby car while it is stored over the winter. I put them in the exhaust, engine compartment, trunk and inside under the seats. The interior is more for cosmetic purposes. Some people claim they are effective....I never had a problem.
Tried that in our RV and learned the mice in this part of the world think dryer sheets make for great nesting material...
Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #1152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Tried that in our RV and learned the mice in this part of the world think dryer sheets make for great nesting material...
We use moth balls, and they seem to work well to keep mice at bay.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #1153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought about that too, so I'm not surprised.

I use moth balls, crystals and flakes for several things around the house. Used in moderation, I think they are a good deodorant, but the lingering scent makes DW sick so maybe I'll try them except for the car interior.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #1154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I use dryer sheets liberally to keep rodents away .........
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
We use moth balls, and they seem to work well to keep mice at bay.
I put moth balls and dryer sheets in my camper only to find nests made of dryer sheets on top of the moth balls.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #1155

That dryer-sheet nesting reminds me of a tip an old car buff (that is, a fan of old cars, although he's also up in years) gave me: the scent of Irish Spring soap repels mice. So I distributed a couple bars in a car I was storing and returned to find that the mice had gnawed on them. Maybe the resulting bellyache is supposed to drive them off, but I think it's more likely a failed experiment.

On another note, I've placed trays of D-Con pellets in the garage and later found pellets stashed under the hood and (ugh) under the rear seat. I've had better luck with the spools of rodenticide that gets placed inside feeding stations so mice have to eat from them in situ.

A neighbor had a problem where a mouse gnawed on wiring in his Prius cabin and knocked out the instrument panel. He said a mechanic suggested he turn the AC on before shutting the car down so that the external vents remain closed. That won't protect wiring under the hood but hopefully it'll keep them out from under the rear seat.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #1156

Cedar works on moths so it might be worth a try on rodents as well.

Many years ago I bought some small blocks of cedar wood from LL Bean (about 1x2x3 inches).

I spread them liberally around closets and drawers of clothing and give them a very light sanding once a year to "refresh" their effect.

Haven't had any moth damage in the time I've used them -- close to 30 years now.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #1157

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Cedar works on moths so it might be worth a try on rodents as well.

Many years ago I bought some small blocks of cedar wood from LL Bean (about 1x2x3 inches).

I spread them liberally around closets and drawers of clothing and give them a very light sanding once a year to "refresh" their effect.

Haven't had any moth damage in the time I've used them -- close to 30 years now.
Older houses had cedar lined closets as well as cedar chests or at least a drawer in a chest that was cedar.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
That dryer-sheet nesting reminds me of a tip an old car buff (that is, a fan of old cars, although he's also up in years) gave me: the scent of Irish Spring soap repels mice. So I distributed a couple bars in a car I was storing and returned to find that the mice had gnawed on them. Maybe the resulting bellyache is supposed to drive them off, but I think it's more likely a failed experiment.
A friend was having a problem with deer eating her expensive landscaping. She heard "somewhere" that hanging bars of Irish Spring soap from trees and bushes would repel the deer. I told her this wouldn't work but she hung all the bars of soap anyway. We went to a seminar regarding keeping deer from eating your landscaping and one of the things on the handout, "No, hanging bars of soap from your trees and shrubs won't keep the deer from eating them." She wondered if they meant "all" soap.
I also have a neighbor that had little whistles installed on their car. They think it keeps deer from hitting the car.
Funny the things we try/believe.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:54 PM   #1159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
A friend was having a problem with deer eating her expensive landscaping. She heard "somewhere" that hanging bars of Irish Spring soap from trees and bushes would repel the deer. I told her this wouldn't work but she hung all the bars of soap anyway. We went to a seminar regarding keeping deer from eating your landscaping and one of the things on the handout, "No, hanging bars of soap from your trees and shrubs won't keep the deer from eating them." She wondered if they meant "all" soap.
I also have a neighbor that had little whistles installed on their car. They think it keeps deer from hitting the car.
Funny the things we try/believe.
I actually received a pair of deer whistles from my insurance company. I never installed them but I see them quite often. Plus, the only time I ever hit a deer, I did not have a whistle installed on my car.

The thing about deer is everything works at first but nothing works long term. Once the deer get used to the smell and/or get hungry enough they'll get bold and eat everything. Deer and moles will make you try anything just in case it might work.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #1160
Give me a forum ...

Shotgun works well on rodents.
Closed Thread