Your recent repair? 2013 - 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
.......... I googled and found out the most likely cause was a thermal fuse. ..........
These things seem to be the norm, now. In the bad ole days it was common to have thermal circuit breakers with a red reset button you could just push. Of course the circuit breakers cost a quarter and the fuses are a nickel, plus $100 to change them.

These things seem to be the norm, now. In the bad ole days it was common to have thermal circuit breakers with a red reset button you could just push. Of course the circuit breakers cost a quarter and the fuses are a nickel, plus $100 to change them.

$23 plus the 30 mile round trip drive, vs. $120 to get the guy out here, assuming he'd even have the part when he got here, and probably the fuse would have cost more from him. And of course the real costs are still 30 cents. If I'd been in town longer I'd have gotten it from Amazon for $7. Hopefully DGD will be undercutting the handyman/repair industry for another generation.

$23 plus the 30 mile round trip drive, vs. $120 to get the guy out here, assuming he'd even have the part when he got here, and probably the fuse would have cost more from him. And of course the real costs are still 30 cents. If I'd been in town longer I'd have gotten it from Amazon for $7. Hopefully DGD will be undercutting the handyman/repair industry for another generation.
I guess that I didn't make my point. The old thermal circuit breakers had an accessible, external button, so if it popped, anyone could just push the button and you were good to go. The thermal fuses are buried and you need to disassemble the device to replace them - or pay a tech to do it for you.

Sorry, I did miss your point. The concept of a repair that easy just blew right past me. Even doing it myself was much more expensive and difficult than that. I hope whoever thought of the "improvement" got a good bonus.

It may sound trivial, but I got my dvd player and vcr and tv to work together, without needing to move cables around. Yay! I won't be wearing out the cable connections anymore each time I change from cable TV to DVD. The old vcr I was using died, and for some reason it was a challenge hooking up the new (used) vcr. Finally got it! Pats self on back. BTW, I was able to get rid of the old dead vcr by taking it to a Staples office supply store. Fuse blew on old vcr, replaced fuse, blew again, OK that's it, time to recycle!

Not really a repair, but maintenance. Today I replaced the caulk in our shower. Notable because for the first time in almost 30 years of DIY partnership, DH allowed me to use the caulk gun in his presence (I've used it when he wasn't here). Even better--he almost admitted that I draw a better bead than he does!

Your recent repair?

Replaced leaking radiator and worn shocks in my '02 Chevy S10 pickup. Also replaced spark plugs, wires and changed trans fluid at 116k miles. Runs great.
What do I do with the old radiator?

Replaced the lid switch on the washing machine. It broke and I bypassed it last year. Fixed before anyone lost a limb, so that's a win.

Replaced the battery on my 2007 BMW. Dealer wanted $550 to change out. Got one for $200 at batteries plus and made the change in 15 minutes.

Should be good to go for 10 more years!

Havent been around these parts for a while...in the mean time I purchased a 30' class C motorhome - major upgrade from the cabover camper! The rubber roof on the motorhome was getting worn and had a couple leaks. I got the 2 part liquid rubber (from Amazon) and put a thick coat on and am happy to report no leaks! We have had plenty of rain and some snow to test it. :dance:
The stuff is not easy to work with but the results are excellent. I bought the 5 gallon bucket, used about 4 and the last gallon is in the guest house fridge ready for any touch-ups needed. It stays useable as long as you keep it cold.

I also installed a 200 watt solar system before the new roofing so I could cover the panel brackets with rubber - I'm ready for our 3 week boon docking trip to quad in Quartzsite AZ! The system will minimize use of the generator out in the desert. My only complaint about the motorhome is.....I should have upgraded sooner. DW is more than happy to hit the road now. :cool:

Yowza.. even Jaguar does it cheaper. For my 2005 XJ6 Napa top of line, $98.- DIY of course.

Chains for the tires on the snow blower broke. I had to find some chain links and fix the broken links.

A spring broke on my DW love seat. I tore in to it and actually used the same spring but had to cut broken hook off and re-bend a hook for it. It is still working says it work good. I hope so I don't want to buy a new chair. Lol

If it doesn't go against your environmental ideals put it in a trash bag and put in the garbage bin and off to the landfill it goes.

In many neighborhoods, you can just put something like that out at the curb and a "scrapper" will be by to pick it up and recycle it before the day is over. No fuss, no muss, they make a few dollars and stuff gets recycled instead of being buried in a landfill.

I had my son replace the passenger side mirror of the old Ford my wife drives. It has been broken for years, but is not needed to pass inspection. Perhaps worse is that I had my daughter buy an OEM mirror off of e-bay 3 years ago, so the part has been sitting around for awhile. I was just waiting for a good "teaching moment" to get my son to do it.

A spring broke on my DW love seat. I tore in to it and actually used the same spring but had to cut broken hook off and re-bend a hook for it. It is still working says it work good. I hope so I don't want to buy a new chair. Lol

If the love seat isn't too old and the manufacturer is still around you might be able to order a spring kit from them. I have a 10yo la-z-boy recliner and one of the seat springs broke last year, contacted la-z-boy and they sent me a spring kit for free. It was a little bit of a pain to get the new spring installed but it worked.

In many neighborhoods, you can just put something like that out at the curb and a "scrapper" will be by to pick it up and recycle it before the day is over. No fuss, no muss, they make a few dollars and stuff gets recycled instead of being buried in a landfill.

+1
I have gotten rid of so much metal that way, and it's fast. Just do it the day before garbage day.
Got rid of an above ground swimming pool (sides are metal) , and stove and other stuff.

For metals there likely is also a scrap metal place in town that will take scrap metal. For example for a riding lawnmower batter you might get $1. They also pay for aluminum cans. If the auto part had any fluids removed I suspect they would take it. After all 70% of us steel is recycled right now.

A most unusual event. I used my checkbook to repair a leaking sending unit on my truck's gas tank.

Can't just replace the one part. The entire fuel pump, filter, float and level sending unit is an assembly replacement. Requiring either jacking up the truck bed or dropping the tank.

My sense of adventure in these matters having been satisfied many times, especially in 20F temperatures, gave the truck to mechanics to take care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom