Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #1741
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
To keep up to code I changed out all three with tamper resistant receptacles.

The things I learn here! I never heard that term before and had no clue of such a feature so I googled it. Do you think I should test my outlets? Our house was built in 1999.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 04:31 PM   #1742

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The things I learn here! I never heard that term before and had no clue of such a feature so I googled it. Do you think I should test my outlets? Our house was built in 1999.
I'd never heard of them before either. According to this video on Leviton's site the code went into effect in 2008 so your house does not have them. Our house was built in 2002 so it doesn't either.

Tamper Resistant Receptacles
Old 12-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #1743
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd never heard of them before either. According to this video on Leviton's site the code went into effect in 2008 so your house does not have them. Our house was built in 2002 so it doesn't either.

Tamper Resistant Receptacles
Did you buy GCFI equipped outlets. Garages can get wet and in wet places GCFI plugs or GCFI circuit breakers also provide additional safety (as well in Bathrooms and Kitchens)
Old 12-08-2016, 05:32 PM   #1744

Be aware that those tamper resistant receptacles can be as stiff as a new grooms wedding night tackle when first installed.

A friend of the DW asked me to replace her receptacles at her new house because she thought they were "broken" I knew the trick (slight sideways pressure on the ground side) to getting the plug in and did it first try. She was mad at me but glad they didn't need to be replaced.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:53 PM   #1745

The tamper-resistant receptacles are a PITA. I wouldn't consider them except for new construction or a special circumstance.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:37 PM   #1746
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Did you buy GCFI equipped outlets. Garages can get wet and in wet places GCFI plugs or GCFI circuit breakers also provide additional safety (as well in Bathrooms and Kitchens)
Local code only requires that the first duplex outlet on a circuit be GFCI protected or optionally you could have a GFCI protected breaker controlling a garage circuit.

As a side note some electrical codes don't make a lot of sense. Case in point, in a garage all 120 volt duplex outlets must be tamper resistant if they are 5 ft or lower from the floor. This part makes sense so that a small child would be better protected from sticking something into an outlet and potentially getting injured. HOWEVER, code does allow a 240 volt outlet that has no tamper protection to be located anywhere, even below 5 ft. The 240 volt receptacles are not manufactured with a tamper resistant version therefore they can't be specified in the electrical code. So my shop has 22 tamper resistant 120 volt duplex outlets and two 240 volt receptacles that are not tamper resistant. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #1747

I have 2 10 light strings on my porch.Did a great job of installing, and even got DW's approval for the installation. The pressure was that her late husband was an electrical contractor.
Anyhow, one of the strings went dark. I took it down and used a meter on each bulb. I found the bad one-can you guess which one? THE 10TH one!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #1748

Quote:
DS tested one of those GFCI outlets when he was 5 or 6. He was old enough to know better and too old for the outlet covers to do any good... He put both ends of tweezers in a GFCI outlet. Melted both ends off the tweezers and welded the receptacles shut before it popped.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #1749
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Be aware that those tamper resistant receptacles can be as stiff as a new grooms wedding night tackle when first installed.

A friend of the DW asked me to replace her receptacles at her new house because she thought they were "broken" I knew the trick (slight sideways pressure on the ground side) to getting the plug in and did it first try. She was mad at me but glad they didn't need to be replaced.
Your wife didn't mind you doing that to her friends receptacles
Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 AM   #1750
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
DS tested one of those GFCI outlets when he was 5 or 6. He was old enough to know better and too old for the outlet covers to do any good... He put both ends of tweezers in a GFCI outlet. Melted both ends off the tweezers and welded the receptacles shut before it popped.
A GFCI does not protect against that kind of fault. Likely, the standard breaker/fuse went.

A tweezer from hot to neutral is just like any other device you plug in, except it's a short so it draws too much current and will blow the breaker (but that can take a second depending on the load). The current goes from hot to neutral, so the GFCI says that's just fine and does nothing.

The GFCI acts when current flows from hot, but less current flows into the neutral (an imbalance). This means there is another path from hot to ground, stealing that current. That might be through a human body.

If he had been grounded, and touched only the hot, the GFCI would have detected the imbalance in current (none returning in neutral), and would open very quickly.

So you can still kill yourself with a GFCI - if you are the load between hot and neutral. It can't tell you from a blender. If a GFCI tripped on a load from hot-neutral, it would shut off on everything!

Be careful out there!

-ERD50
Old 12-09-2016, 08:21 AM   #1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
When I was about 6 I stuck a plug 1/2 way in the socket and tried to cut the prongs off with a scissors, needless to say the fuse blew. (way back in the 1950s)
Old 12-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #1752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Your wife didn't mind you doing that to her friends receptacles
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

~ Red Green.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #1753
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I was about 6 I stuck a plug 1/2 way in the socket and tried to cut the prongs off with a scissors, needless to say the fuse blew. (way back in the 1950s)
I was about 15, and a plug into an extension cord was really stuck, I couldn't pull it out. So I used my pocket knife to pry the plug out

The size of the spark was amazing and it melted a notch in my knife blade.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #1754

Quote:
It did come with GCFI outlets in the garage, kitchen, and bathrooms. Some have other outlets after them in the circuit, I think this is no longer allowed but I'm not sure.

The first outlet installed in the house is directly below the breaker panel in the basement so the construction guys could run their power tools. That of course is a GCFI outlet. Then one day the garage outlet was dead and I couldn't figure out why - found out that one is after the one down in the basement in the circuit. Sometimes they seem to just trip for no apparent reason.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #1755
Give me a forum ...

Today I replaced the furnace filter and found the furnace flooded. Water on the floor and water in the furnace itself. We have a storm today and I wanted to see where the water was coming from so I dried it all out and turned the furnace on. Right from the furnace (condensing) and I could watch the water coming from the heat exchanger pipes building up in the collection bin and the water leaking out.

The Co. that installed it is out of business so I looked for a York dealer local. I called and they said "how about today", sounds good to me. Advised the guy would be here sometime between 2 and 4. Guy arrived before 2 with the needed part and installed it and was gone in an hour and a quarter. Best service call ever -

It was a "known issue", the factory put this clear plastic plenum over the exchanger pipes so you can see the "condensing" furnace in operation. But the plastic cracks in 4 to 6 years and the furnace floods. The new part is opaque and more robust and you can't see the condensate anymore, but you won't see it leaking out either. So I got the part for free and installed for a discounted rate and I am free to crank the heat again.

Which is a good thing in the winter time -
Old 12-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #1756
Dryer sheet aficionado

I tore out old vinyl flooring in our kitchen and installed 18" ceramic tile along with new baseboard. Kitchen looks marvelous!

Doing front bathroom now and may use a marble tile?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #1757
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
I tore out old vinyl flooring in our kitchen and installed 18" ceramic tile along with new baseboard. Kitchen looks marvelous!

Doing front bathroom now and may use a marble tile?
You could impress us with a photo !

One thing with certain tiles it can become dangerously slippery when wet, probably the smooth polished ones.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #1758
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
You could impress us with a photo !

One thing with certain tiles it can become dangerously slippery when wet, probably the smooth polished ones.
20161217_083242(1).jpg

20161217_083312.jpg

It's not slippery, has a little texture on it.

sorry pic is sideways, couldn't get it to upload correctly?
Old 12-17-2016, 10:55 AM   #1759
Give me a forum ...

That looks really professional

As for the slippery tiles, I've noticed them on entryways and bathrooms, not suggesting your tiles were slippery.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #1760

Is this a slab on grade situation? No backer-board required? Did you use thin set mortar (ie glue)? Big tiles and uneven surfaces sometimes require more. Where 4 tiles come together, did you have a hard time getting those perfectly flat? Big tiles sometimes are stubborn to get installed 'flat'.
Closed Thread