Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just paid $550 to get a new fan motor on the AC system... now going to get quotes to replace the whole thing... AC is 16 years old...
Texas Prouud, Was that the external fan or internal? Labor included? I'd be interested to know how it works out. JG3
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Texas Prouud, Was that the external fan or internal? Labor included? I'd be interested to know how it works out. JG3

External... and I thought it was a bit much..
Old 09-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #383
Give me a forum ...

Just replaced my electric hot water heater. I was able to find an exact replacement so the install was simple and fast. I checked my water pressure before the install and noticed it was over 130 lbs. So while I was at it, and had the water turned off, I installed a water pressure regulator on the main line to the house and cut it down to about 75lbs.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #384
Recycles dryer sheets

Replaced idler pulley, drive belt and scraper bar on snowthrower. Hate thinking about winter especially after the brutal one we had last year but it is inevitable so i might as well be ready and easier to get it done now. I've always been big on preventative maintenance. Now got to get going on replacing the rear storm door. There is always something to do!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
External... and I thought it was a bit much..
That does sound a bit high.
About 20 years ago my outside AC fan crumped out 3 hours before a party at my house (invitees from w*rk, incl boss, etc, Charleston SC in the summer.) I rigged up two of my box fans to accomplish the same thing--one exhausting the air out the top like the stock fan does and another helper fan blowing air into the box through the coils on one side. It definitely looked like a hillbilly repair, but the air in the house stayed cool and it got us through until the repair guy came the next day.
He was even complimentary and told my wife it was was good temporary fix.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #386
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
That does sound a bit high.
About 20 years ago my outside AC fan crumped out 3 hours before a party at my house (invitees from w*rk, incl boss, etc, Charleston SC in the summer.) I rigged up two of my box fans to accomplish the same thing--one exhausting the air out the top like the stock fan does and another helper fan blowing air into the box through the coils on one side. It definitely looked like a hillbilly repair, but the air in the house stayed cool and it got us through until the repair guy came the next day.
He was even complimentary and told my wife it was was good temporary fix.

Never thought of that!!! If it happens again, box fans here we come
Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #387
Full time employment: Posting here.

Latest repair was replacement of back storm door. Was still under warranty (save your paperwork!!!). Job took only about 7 trips spread over 3 weeks to the hardware store what with the return, pickup of replacement shipped from factory, latch, lost screws, lost bracket for door return, etc... Might have been cheaper to buy a new one!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #388
Confused about dryer sheets

Does fixing my flipflops count? The strap came loose on one side so I tucked it back in and superglued it back into place. Then I noticed they are looking rather dirty so I gave them a good clean. Looking almost brand new again. They're just an excellent fit and I wear them around the house all summer.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Just replaced my electric hot water heater.
Why do people need to heat water if it's already hot?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #390

Quote:
Just paid $550 to get a new fan motor on the AC system... now going to get quotes to replace the whole thing... AC is 16 years old...
I hope you tried changing the capacitor first!! A bad cap will just have the motor humming, but not turning.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #391
Give me a forum ...

+1

If the motor hums but does not turn, you can try to spin the blade. If that starts it running, then the capacitor connecting to the secondary winding is out and needs to be replaced. Note that you can "spin-start" an induction motor in either direction.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
+1

If the motor hums but does not turn, you can try to spin the blade. If that starts it running, then the capacitor connecting to the secondary winding is out and needs to be replaced. Note that you can "spin-start" an induction motor in either direction.
Once I had a fridge with a bad starting current relay, the one that connects the capacitor temporarily to get the motor spinning. Just hooked up a momentary switch to hit to get motor spinning. Even the then GF could handle that. This until I scrounged a current relay from a roadside discarded fridge.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I recall taking apart some device (can't remember what it was - maybe a cheap cassette player?), and it had some kind of mechanical spring/ratchet or something to force the motor to turn in the right direction. Weird.

-ERD50
Old 09-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #394
Give me a forum ...

Yes. Synchronous motors used in mechanical timers such as pool motor or water heater timers can self-start running in either direction, hence have a ratchet to force them to go the "right way".

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #395

I have 3 outlets in my basement that need to be GFCI's. Finished 2 of 'em. First took 10 minutes to do. Second one...........2 days. In the interest of brevity I'll just say that second one originally fed some other lights and outlets. Took me quite a while to find a replacement power source, 'coz for the life of me I couldn't figure out that "line vs load" thing!
But as DW would tell you, this is par for the course for many of my DIY projects.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I hope you tried changing the capacitor first!! A bad cap will just have the motor humming, but not turning.

They checked it out and said it was 'OK'.... but did replace it when they changed the motor...

I believe the motor should have gone out two years ago.... it was making some really loud squealing noises for a few days off and on... then just went away...
Old 09-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #397
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ouch! $550 for a 16 year old system hurts.
It would have been nice if they had an old used one around that they could have sold you cheaper.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #398
Recycles dryer sheets

It pays to shop around. Last week I helped a neighbor. His fancy stainless steel side by side refrigerator quit working. I quick check found that the evaporator fan had bit the dust. I told him to buy a new one and I would install it.

A few days later he called and said the part had arrived, a generic one that he ordered. It cost him $130 from a local parts depot. After I installed it and made sure he was up and running I went home and looked it up online.......it was available online at Amazon for only $28.50!
Old 09-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #399
Give me a forum ...

Once when I was on an RV trip, my son who lived at home observed that the fridge temperature was rising. He discovered that the fan cooling the condenser coil at the bottom of the fridge had quit. So, he stuck a small deskfan in there, which was about the same size, to wait for my return. This make-shift solution is similar to what Samclem did with his A/C.

The replacement fan cost around $30, from a supply store in town.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Once when I was on an RV trip, my son who lived at home observed that the fridge temperature was rising. He discovered that the fan cooling the condenser coil at the bottom of the fridge had quit. So, he stuck a small deskfan in there, which was about the same size, to wait for my return.
The (techie) nut doesn't fall far from the tree. Good on him.
Closed Thread