Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #1921
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Electrical junction grease should keep the corrosion from returning, at least far longer than without.
Yep - read the same tip on the online corvette forum - going to do this soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Ahh, the grounds...you should see some of the grounds on my 1971 VW Beetle I am presently restoring. Ever seen green connections? I have measured a 2 volt loss at the tail lights!

My choices are to completely rewire the car or find every connection that is corroded and clean or replace it.

I can buy a new harness with original color wires for under $300. No computers or solid state in the car! All brass spade connectors.

If I recall, your Vette is a 2003 (?). That's about the period of time, age wise, when car electrical components and connections start failing. I have seen this on my 2003 Jetta and a few other cars I have had. Maybe it's time to unload the Vette? Move up to a Z06?

On a similar note, it's going to be interesting when the current crop of high tech cars start experiencing electrical failures. My friend's 2010 Hyundai Genesis just had the cruise control get flaky. The replacement electrical module was $800 installed. It will get worse as these cars get long in the tooth.
I wish I had green ground connectors like your Beetle. Then I could find them easier.

My Vette's a 2001 - original owner - and it sits in the garage all winter - next to DW's car that usually leaves a deluge of snow melt under my car. So yes I may have some connection issues. But no - I'm not moving up. I'm keeping this one till it drops. I agree that it's going to be interesting when these high tech cars start having electrical issues. They'll never figure them out.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 PM   #1922
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my Tivo units (the newest one, go figure) developed a very noisy cooling fan. After checking a few YouTube videos on exactly this problem, I opened the unit and sprayed some lubricant into the fan, as best as I could. I ran the fan with the unit open for about five minutes and there was not much improvement in the noise.

Figuring I would have to purchase a new fan, I reassembled the unit and plugged in my TV and antenna. I turned on the power and ....... it is now blissfully quiet. A soft purring noise that is barely audible from two feet away.

We'll see how long the lubricant will fix the noise problem.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #1923
Moderator Emeritus

I had a printed circuit break in my drone. I ordered the part and installed it. So far the drone is acting fine.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM   #1924
Moderator Emeritus

Finished the brake job on my 1971 VW Beetle. Installed all new brake shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware. Cleaned and installed original star adjusters and added anti-seize to the threads. Then did the first brake adjustment and power bled the system with my Motive Power Bleeder.

Took it for a spin and tried to set in the brake shoes. Wow, I forgot how crappy 4 wheel drum brakes are in relation to modern day disc brakes. I may go ahead and convert the front brakes to disc units as kits are available.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #1925

Nothing like the smell of Bondo in the morning!

These shed doors that I had neglected had their veneer getting soggy and no longer attached. I should have taken a "before" picture. I probably could have avoided this job if I had kept getting new paint on the doors, but painting is not something I do very often, hehe! Anyway, I cut the loose veneer and sub layer in some places and slapped on some Bondo. I don't think I'll bother getting it smooth...just paint it. It is a shed, after all.

Those door slabs I bought probably 15 years ago were supposed to be exterior, but the veneer glue doesn't hold up well to moisture. They weigh a ton (solid core of pressed board). At least that stayed dry, or it would have swelled. I hung them myself and they're​ on the tight side... touching the threshold, so when rain splashes around, it takes a while to dry-out. But I trimmed the bottom and have a layer of Bondo down there now. We'll see how they hold up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170602_121957714.jpg (365.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #1926
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Found a chipmunk doorway has been chewed into the corner of my garage door! See pics.

The red brick is currently working well to keep them from chewing any more, and also from getting into the garage.

Trying to think of a good way to repair the damage. Am thinking of just cutting out the bottom six inches or so of the vertical trim wood and replacing with new. I don't know if they sell this trim wood with the rubber seal attached or not. Also thinking of buying a new seal for the bottom of the door. Then the plan would be to hope the chipmunks lose interest in that corner when they encounter the new materials in their way, and I can take away the brick. There had already been some wear and tear in that corner which no doubt gave them some edges to chew on to get started. It's a wooden garage door, by the way.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gar door hole brick.JPG (293.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg garage door hole 1.JPG (284.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg garage door hole 2.JPG (268.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg garage door hole 4.JPG (274.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #1927

I've seen the bottom rubber garage door seals at the Lowes near here so they're available.

As to the repair, how about cutting a square shape of the nibbled area and using a block of wood the same size, drill 1/4" or 3/8" holes in it and the cut-out area as appropriate to the size of the wood, and then glue in dowels to hold it in place.

Or perhaps use auto body filler? The nibbled area looks small enough for that to work too and it might be easier.

Just some quick thoughts.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM   #1928

Side weather seal sold at Home Depot
Frost King E/O 3 in. x 108 in. Top and Sides Vinyl Garage-Door Weather-Strip-GR9 - The Home Depot
Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM   #1929

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Trying to think of a good way to repair the damage.
You know what my answer is going to be: BONDO!

What I've been doing on water damaged windows and doors is hacking on the area with a oscillating tool ($15 at Harbor Freight), and getting down to good solid wood. Then slap on some Bondo. I've done it on door frames, window frames, etc, where it rotted at the bottom. I never take the time to get it perfectly smooth, but it's good enough for who it's for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plungeCut.jpg (19.6 KB, 142 views)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #1930
Give me a forum ...

Bondo will work, but you've got that weatherstrip as well. See the previous post, they sell those strips at the big box stores. Probably easier to replace the whole thing than patch a small part of it?

-ERD50
Old 06-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #1931
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. There had already been some wear and tear in that corner which no doubt gave them some edges to chew on to get started. It's a wooden garage door, by the way.

Thoughts, suggestions?
The chipmunks did the same thing to my garage door seals at the bottom. My garage door is aluminum, but they made sufficient room to enter just by chewing away the rubber and vinyl seals. I haven't fixed it yet, but I have a plan.
I think if you repair it with the same stuff, they'll be back and you'll have the same problem. I'm going to buy two small pieces of steel step flashing (it's already bent at close to 90 degrees) and screw them to the wall. It's stiff enough that the little beggars can't bend it away to get through, and I don't think they can/will chew through approx 30 gauge steel. It will only go up about 6", but I think that will be enough. I'll either fold the edge back or I'll slit some 1/4" vinyl tubing and glue it on the edge of the steel to prevent any cuts for those averse to wearing real shoes.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #1932

Quote:
Found a chipmunk doorway has been chewed into the corner of my garage door! See pics.

The red brick is currently working well to keep them from chewing any more, and also from getting into the garage.

Trying to think of a good way to repair the damage. Am thinking of just cutting out the bottom six inches or so of the vertical trim wood and replacing with new. I don't know if they sell this trim wood with the rubber seal attached or not. Also thinking of buying a new seal for the bottom of the door. Then the plan would be to hope the chipmunks lose interest in that corner when they encounter the new materials in their way, and I can take away the brick. There had already been some wear and tear in that corner which no doubt gave them some edges to chew on to get started. It's a wooden garage door, by the way.

Thoughts, suggestions?
Love the brick, that would be my repair till i got robbed by a handyman from the yellow pages.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 06-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #1933
Give me a forum ...

Chipmunks are a product of The Devil. Whenever I need to find out how to rid my life of any critter or bug, I go to tutorials on BugSpray.com--a retail and online store in Stone Mountain, GA.

I bought a chipmunk trap from them that you bait with walnut paste. If that doesn't get'em, they also sell an electrified chipmunk trap that dispatches them immediately.

Only good chipmunk in my yard is a dead chipmunk.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #1934

Where are the foxes when you need them? Where I live I see foxes every so often and I suspect that chipmunks look like a good lunch to them. (Same with Squirrels )
Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 AM   #1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Love the brick, that would be my repair till i got robbed by a handyman from the yellow pages.
LOL!
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #1936
Recycles dryer sheets

IMG_0511.JPG
Old 06-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #1937

Wow, great ideas! Thanks. I went out and eyeballed it again this morning. I always see something new one day later. Anyway, I'm leaning toward the Bondo idea at this point. I'd make a form out of cardboard behind and under the chewed space, and just gradually build it up (or down, actually). Then maybe find something to use as weatherstripping to glue to the existing weatherstripping and trim, to extend it downward.

Or.... find some angle iron made out of aluminum or thin steel that I can just nail or glue over the corner. Then paint.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:52 AM   #1938

Re Bondo - it is a surfacing material, not structural.
For the quick and dirty job, structure could be provided by driving some 16p nails or a few heavy screws, then filling the inner space with resin soaked fiberglass or possibly steel wool and resin. Now finish with Bondo. Plenty of room for creativity here.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:43 PM   #1939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Re Bondo - it is a surfacing material, not structural.
For the quick and dirty job, structure could be provided by driving some 16p nails or a few heavy screws, then filling the inner space with resin soaked fiberglass or possibly steel wool and resin. Now finish with Bondo. Plenty of room for creativity here.

There is a version of Bondo that has fibers in it that is a lot stronger than regular Bondo.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:18 AM   #1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
There is a version of Bondo that has fibers in it that is a lot stronger than regular Bondo.
Right, and there are epoxy wood restoration products made for this type of repair, but where is the fun in that?
Closed Thread