Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #2561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi guys. Answers to questions: I noticed the leak 5 years after the roof was done. They removed a round vent on the roof by cutting out a rectangle and replacing with plywood, then roofing over it. If I wanted to contort myself and get up into the attic I could give it a look. Maybe it started leaking there. But of course it could be leaking between the shingles and the plywood in which case I might never see the water. I noticed yesterday that the top corners of the window above the door have something sticking out, probably a sealing bead. Maybe birds have been pulling it out. The identical townhouse next door also has the same thing, but the one next to it does not. I could check that out by leaning out the window, maybe. Other than the window, there's nothing but aluminum siding around the door, with caulking, except for the wooden deck itself, on the bottom. Got some rain last night on the North side, and got my flashlight out to check on the inside of the house, for water getting in, on second floor (same floor as french door). Found moisture in a 2 inch area on the floorboard near the rotted area. But the wood above the moisture was dry. So the water is seeping in sideways, or wicking up from below. So many variables! So many pieces of wood and metal coming together at that corner. Another variable is that I had a guy do some work on the deck a few years before the leak started. I noticed he nailed some support wood onto the existing wood below the deck, and the nails may have been long enough to pierce the aluminum siding (or whatever is there) behind it. But those pierce holes would be below the leak, so that doesn't seem to be the cause. Maybe the deck is pulling away from the house and breaching a seal of some kind. I wish I had an x-ray tool to show where the water is getting in, and where it is going. edit to add: I think I have a vent for bathroom exhaust fan, will have to check what side of roof it is on.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #2562

Another ongoing project: I'm now thinking of using some plastic edging to corral / dam the water in my front yard, during rainfall, to force it onto the sidewalk and thereby onto the driveway apron and into the road. In keeping with my incrementalist approach to this project, first I will add another 6 foot extension to the downspout. It's taking a lot of time, waiting for big rainstorms , to see where the water is flowing. Finally got a big storm today, and got a lot of data. Onward to victory.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #2563

After 2.5 days on my hands and knees, I'm about 25% through the process of stripping the old sealer off 550 sf of saltillo tile. It had reached the point where it was impossible to clean (dirt was embedded in the sealer). I finally have a routine that works reliably but this is really a slow and mind-numbing process. Not to mention that my knees are suffering.

I'm using the original Klean Strip stripper that contains Methylene Chloride (no longer sold at Home Depot and Lowes for safety reasons). But I have to wear a respirator and special gloves. Ugh. DW refuses to help.

I'm an avid DIYer. But this is a job I would have happily hired out. But I doubt anyone would do it as thoroughly as me. Plus, the quotes I got were in the range of $10-15 per tile. That's $5.5K - $8.3K. Looks like it's going to take 8-10 days of hard labor (just for the stripping). We still have to do some repairs and then reseal with 5 or 6 coats.

Oh well... enough procrastinating on ER.org and back to work.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #2564

Start next week getting quotes on seamless gutters for my house and barn . I DIY the Home Depot gutters before and they ended up being trash . After that getting quotes for stone veneer around our house . So far not as bad as I thought it would be . house will look old Texas.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #2565
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday, I replaced the in-tank fuel pump on our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. It was not holding fuel rail pressure causing the line to empty back into the fuel tank when the engine was shut off (bad check valve in the pump, I presumed).

I bought a new Delphi pump at Rock Auto for $280.00 and pulled the back seat to replace the pump. The seat was a *Bitch* to get out as it was clumsy and weighed about 75 pounds, but I succeed I'm sure it would have been easier with a second person's help, but no one was around.

It took about an hour to get the pump out and the new one in due to a tightly fitting locking ring that didn't care to lock without some extra force.

All is good now and the fuel rail stays pressurized making for quick crank starts rather than long drawn out starter spinning to allow the pump to fill up the fuel rail.

Oh, the car just turned 90,000 and that has been the only repair since new.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #2566
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Hi guys. Answers to questions: I noticed the leak 5 years after the roof was done. They removed a round vent on the roof by cutting out a rectangle and replacing with plywood, then roofing over it. If I wanted to contort myself and get up into the attic I could give it a look. Maybe it started leaking there. But of course it could be leaking between the shingles and the plywood in which case I might never see the water. I noticed yesterday that the top corners of the window above the door have something sticking out, probably a sealing bead. Maybe birds have been pulling it out. The identical townhouse next door also has the same thing, but the one next to it does not. I could check that out by leaning out the window, maybe. Other than the window, there's nothing but aluminum siding around the door, with caulking, except for the wooden deck itself, on the bottom. Got some rain last night on the North side, and got my flashlight out to check on the inside of the house, for water getting in, on second floor (same floor as french door). Found moisture in a 2 inch area on the floorboard near the rotted area. But the wood above the moisture was dry. So the water is seeping in sideways, or wicking up from below. So many variables! So many pieces of wood and metal coming together at that corner. Another variable is that I had a guy do some work on the deck a few years before the leak started. I noticed he nailed some support wood onto the existing wood below the deck, and the nails may have been long enough to pierce the aluminum siding (or whatever is there) behind it. But those pierce holes would be below the leak, so that doesn't seem to be the cause. Maybe the deck is pulling away from the house and breaching a seal of some kind. I wish I had an x-ray tool to show where the water is getting in, and where it is going. edit to add: I think I have a vent for bathroom exhaust fan, will have to check what side of roof it is on.
You reminded me.
I once had a leak on a new house , water showing at the door on the floor.

Turned out it was water hitting the step, splashing up and hitting under the door jamb (the part you step on when coming in the door) , a careful look under and up showed the metal flashing was not caulked there, so water could hit the crack/edge and go inside.
Once I caulked it , the water stopped coming in.
Old 04-21-2019, 05:48 AM   #2567

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yesterday, I replaced the in-tank fuel pump on our 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. It was not holding fuel rail pressure causing the line to empty back into the fuel tank when the engine was shut off (bad check valve in the pump, I presumed).

I bought a new Delphi pump at Rock Auto for $280.00 and pulled the back seat to replace the pump. The seat was a *Bitch* to get out as it was clumsy and weighed about 75 pounds, but I succeed I'm sure it would have been easier with a second person's help, but no one was around.

It took about an hour to get the pump out and the new one in due to a tightly fitting locking ring that didn't care to lock without some extra force.

All is good now and the fuel rail stays pressurized making for quick crank starts rather than long drawn out starter spinning to allow the pump to fill up the fuel rail.

Oh, the car just turned 90,000 and that has been the only repair since new.
I enjoyed your description of the work. Impressive!
Mower repair
Old 04-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #2568
Give me a forum ...

Mower repair

My mower wouldn't start after its winter hibernation. It had run fine last year. I suspected stale fuel and a gummed up carb (I added the Stabil later than I should have. Ethanol ). But I pulled the plug and it was wet with gas, so it was getting fuel. Hmmm. I found there was no spark. After pulling off the plastic cowl and tank to take a look at things, it seemed possible the kill wire from the magneto coil might be shorting out where it rubbed against the sharp corner of that coil. Yep, that was it. It started on the first pull. Some heat-shrink tubing on it now and I should be good for a long time.
It's a Honda engine on a Husqvarna mower, 2 years old now. I spent extra to get the Honda, I'm a little disappointed in the sloppy routing of this wire that led to the problem.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #2569

Update on routing rainwater off my lawn and into street: I created a small earthen dam in the front yard corner near the sidewalk. During the last rain, the water pooled there, as expected, and rose right up to the sidewalk level, but did not flow over the sidewalk. I was hoping it would flow over the sidewalk. It looked like the water was oozing out around the other end of the earthen dam, and keeping the level at the sidewalk. Or maybe the water was oozing down under the edge of the sidewalk as soon as it reached that level. Ugh. So... I extended the earthen dam a few feet, and hope it will raise the pond level enough to get the water flowing over the sidewalk.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #2570
Recycles dryer sheets

I couldn't agree more. Fixing something others would toss is very rewarding. Over the years, fixing instead of tossing and buying another likely advanced my FIRE date by several years.
Last item repaired, 25 year old RUUD air conditioner compressor power contactor switch. Last year, had a HVAC technician do an evaluation. Freon pressure right on the mark. The tech suggested PM the power contactor. The original looked like it had begun to arc and that spells problems in the future. Arcing can result in greater contact resistance and as contact resistance increases so does arcing. A death spiral that ends usually on the hottest day of the year.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #2571
Give me a forum ...

So today I had to take out the ice maker as somehow the ice became a big block and the arms could not push it out... watched a youtube video and it was easy peesey.... also adjusted the water level down a bit so hopefully will not happen again...

THEN finally went out to work on sprinkler system which DW has been nagging on me for months... we did not need it as there was rain happening all the time... BUT, two heads popped off and another one was a broken rubber pipe... this was in addition to what I needed to do before... I hate the sprinkler system and all DW keeps saying to to pay someone
Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #2572

Successfully replaced an insulated glass unit (IGU) in the living room that had been lightly fogged for a couple of years. In this thread about fogged windows member Sunset pointed out a source for IGUs and I chose to order from them since that site had the most detail and was competitively priced. It was also cheaper than some kits that purport to fix the old window. It wasn't dirt cheap ($220 with ground shipping) but it was a lot cheaper than having a whole new window installed. I had some reservations about ordering glass from a company in Washington state to a location in West Virginia but it did arrive well packed and unscathed.

I took more than the advertised 20 minutes or so to do the replacement because I'd never done it before and was at the bottom of the learning curve so took my time, but I'm sure the next one will go about that time.

One thing I didn't do and in hindsight wish I had, was to call around to some local glass companies and see what their prices would be, and if they can fix the old one, which is probably the same size as several other windows in the house. If they cost less, then I simply "chalk it up to tuition" as my Dad used to put it. So I'll make those calls on Tuesday after the holiday.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #2573

Just replaced the rubber boot on my Kenmore front loader. Required what seemed like too much disassembly to get to the spring braces but I got it done eventually. I had been trying to avoid the work but the old seal started smelling so bad that it started to impact the clothes (yuck. ). No amount of cleaning/bleaching helped, so DW drew the line for me..... Other choice: replace washer...
Old 05-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #2574
Give me a forum ...

Had my driveway repaved. It was badly cracked and crumbling in places and had a previous patch job that didn’t hold up well. Looks brand new! It was way beyond my capabilities, so I obviously paid someone to do it.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #2575
Full time employment: Posting here.

2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S, well know issues with the cooling system (tstat, water pipe, and pump, ) and oil lines to the turbo and oil cooler. Replaced them all around 58k miles. Dam if replacement tstat didn’t in the exact same place at 92k miles less than 4 years later. New unit from Autozone and coolant (about $135) & 4 hours of my time, saved me paying $1250 at the dealer or “only” $950 at the independent garage.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:38 PM   #2576
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
My controlled burn got out of control and melted vinyl siding on my workshop. Luckily I saved some siding when I built it 20 years ago. Cut out the old siding, and installed the new siding in its place
I'm the same. I've got spare roofing shingles, bathroom tiles and a few other odds and ends stored in the attic, just in case.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 AM   #2577

The hinge and display cover on my HP Pavilion 15 laptop broke. Oh joy, a replacement cover for the laptop is over $100 if you can find one ... I stumbled across a used Pavilion cover with new beefier hinges for $45. Still a lot of money for a chunk of plastic, and it doesn't fit the display exactly ... but that's why duct tape was invented.

I suspect these are popular replacement parts ... poor design from HP.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #2578
Recycles dryer sheets

My car had a engine check light for a while due to a MAF fault. Now it needs to pass an emissions check to get a license renewal. I found, & fixed, a corroded ground connection, which fixed the MAF, but now there was an EVAP fault. Had to partially drop the gas tank to get at & replaced the EVAP vent valve. Thought it was fixed. Failed the emissions check cus it hadn't been driven enough to complete running EVAP tests. Drove it a couple days to accumulate some miles. Oops the check engine light is on again. Same EVAP code. Drove it to empty the gas tank. Let it sit a week or so till I feel inspired to work on it again. Started it up to put it in the detached garage on the lift. Our local woodchuck has struck again. It blew out all the transmission fluid on the drive way. Transmission cooler line hose, apparently chewed open. Had to use a come along winch to pull it into the garage on the lift. To be continued. Side issue, I sold my truck for $1500. To not own a truck is a quality of life enhancement. Using my minivan till the car is fixed.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:55 AM   #2579

Mysterious French door leak into house, episode xxx. I was able to get water to enter the house by placing moderate flow from a hose onto one small area next to the corner of the door. So this is the entry point!! (Or, at least one of possible many entry points, ugh). Will be concentrating on this 'entry point' alone for a while, and see what happens.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:58 AM   #2580

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
My car had a engine check light for a while due to a MAF fault. Now it needs to pass an emissions check to get a license renewal. I found, & fixed, a corroded ground connection, which fixed the MAF, but now there was an EVAP fault. Had to partially drop the gas tank to get at & replaced the EVAP vent valve. Thought it was fixed. Failed the emissions check cus it hadn't been driven enough to complete running EVAP tests. Drove it a couple days to accumulate some miles. Oops the check engine light is on again. Same EVAP code. Drove it to empty the gas tank. Let it sit a week or so till I feel inspired to work on it again. Started it up to put it in the detached garage on the lift. Our local woodchuck has struck again. It blew out all the transmission fluid on the drive way. Transmission cooler line hose, apparently chewed open. Had to use a come along winch to pull it into the garage on the lift. To be continued. Side issue, I sold my truck for $1500. To not own a truck is a quality of life enhancement. Using my minivan till the car is fixed.
Thatguy, why is the quality of life better without a truck? No one asking favors? Don't have to repair it any more?
Closed Thread