Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 05:10 AM   #2921
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was in an old house, they had poured a 4 inch square of concrete to create a raised area for the water tank and furnace to sit upon.

I suppose a bunch of concrete blocks laid down would also work, or a 2x2 patio stone.

Our 15 year old electric water heater sits in a pan and the pan rests on two short sections of treated 6x6" lumber to keep it off the floor. I've never seen this before, but it works.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #2922
Recycles dryer sheets

Just ordered amazon part to rebuild RV toilet again. They aren’t made for full time use so need to replace the flush spring again. Only about a 30 minute job bit my recliner will miss me.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #2923
Full time employment: Posting here.

I opened my cabin yesterday.

Turned on the water, and the copper pipe connected to the main water valve came flying apart. Water everywhere.

This valve is in the dark damp root cellar of my 1925 shack of a cabin.

I tried to just resolder it back together, and it still leaked. I ended up cutting off the section with the valve, and replacing the whole thing. Very satisfying when it didn't leak, and everything is now working properly.

I even have a working toilet.

I earned my evening beer.

JP

20200430_164056.jpeg
Old 05-01-2020, 10:52 PM   #2924
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put in a new sink at the cottage. Replaced a double stainless steel with a single stainless steel from Costco. Sink is very nice but the mounting clips were a joke compared to the one that I took out. Looks good and more room under the sink with only one drain in the sink. Tomorrow, new laundry room tub.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:07 PM   #2925
Recycles dryer sheets

Just replaced the run capacitor on my 4-ton HVAC unit. On startup, it was pulling too much current and making noise, so I figured it was time to change it. Runs great now, but I also ordered a 5-2-1 Soft Start kit on Amazon to lower the LRA even more. Might even be able to run it off the Honda EU7000is generator after that...we'll see.

Also installed a new Pentair variable speed pump for the pool. Got a $350 rebate from the utility company and should save about $400/year on electric vs. my old single speed pump. It's really quiet out there now...no pump noise when running at a lower RPM, so it was a good decision.

All ready for summer!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #2926

I replaced the water heater today. D*mn thing was 2" higher than old one, requiring adjustments to incoming lines, and exhaust. Started at 9:30, done at 1:30, took 2 trips to HD to get pieces right.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:01 AM   #2927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I replaced the water heater today. D*mn thing was 2" higher than old one, requiring adjustments to incoming lines, and exhaust. Started at 9:30, done at 1:30, took 2 trips to HD to get pieces right.
Thats all? Great job
Old 05-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #2928

I have to admit that I still get some satisfaction out of doing mechanical and home repair work. Kind of silly. I'm very much a self taught amateur, but I enjoy doing this type of work, and I like the results if I'm successful.

The problem:

The starter was acting up on my niece's old Honda.

I helped her replace the battery a few weeks ago, because it was over 5 years old, and I was hoping that would resolve the intermittent starting issues. The alternator tested out good, and we cleaned up the cable connections in the process of replacing the old battery.

That didn't resolve the intermittent starting issues, so it was time to try a replacement starter motor.

I was going to have her change it out with my help, but the damn thing was buried underneath the intake manifold, so a bunch of stuff had to be removed. It was going to be a much more difficult job than I anticipated. I ended up swapping cars with her, and planning a whole day for the task.

It went okay, but I couldn't get the main starter motor mounting bolt loose. It was in a very tight area, and I was trying to reach it with a long 1/2" socket wrench with extensions.

I ended up going to Northern Hydraulics to purchase several new tools. (One of my favorite parts of repair work, accumulating more tools.)

I needed something called a "wobble" extension for a 1/2" socket (this allows the extension to be slightly angled from the socket), and I purchased a set of larger metric sockets that only have 6 sides, so the bolt will be less likely to strip on the socket.

I also upgraded to two new socket wrenches with flex heads to maneuver into tight areas.

With the proper tools, I managed to get that stubborn bolt loose, and complete the repair. It even seems to work properly. Amazing.

My niece was very happy to have a working car back, and I stopped over at my father's home nearby to have a cold bloody beer with him from a distance. I have been staying away from him, so it was nice to talk with him in person.

Take care, JP
Old 05-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #2929

Since you accumulated more tools in your endeavors, you are to be congratulated as well as forgiven.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM   #2930

Two recent repairs. One worked, one didn't.

SUCCESS!
Dehumidifier I picked up used about 20 years ago started making a god awful racket. The electric motor was worn. Took it apart. It was manufactured in 1969! (The green exterior should've been a giveaway). Managed to find a drop-in replacement. Back to life.

Failure!
About a week after the dehumidifier went, the 25 year old laundry dryer started to make a sound like the belt was going. Replaced the belt. The new, tighter belt highlighted the motor was in bad shape. It started over heating.
New laundry machines being delivered today.

I sure wish I'd succeeded with the dryer and failed with the dehumidifier...
Old 05-08-2020, 02:55 PM   #2931

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
I needed something called a "wobble" extension for a 1/2" socket (this allows the extension to be slightly angled from the socket)....
My "first car" (actually titled in Dad's name because I was 16) was a 1956 Plymouth with a 272 c.i. V8 engine. To change the spark plugs on that thing required a different combination of wobble extensions, other extensions and sockets for every single spark plug. When cleaning/changing plugs I spent more time fiddling with sockets and extensions than working on it but it did make me intimately familiar with the geometries of wobbles and extensions.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #2932

Walt,
I've had a standard 1/2" knuckle socket for a long time. Mine broke attempting to loosen this bolt.
I watched a guy on YouTube do it with a wobble extension. I never heard of these tools, but it worked great.
Take care, JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My "first car" (actually titled in Dad's name because I was 16) was a 1956 Plymouth with a 272 c.i. V8 engine. To change the spark plugs on that thing required a different combination of wobble extensions, other extensions and sockets for every single spark plug. When cleaning/changing plugs I spent more time fiddling with sockets and extensions than working on it but it did make me intimately familiar with the geometries of wobbles and extensions.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:58 AM   #2933
Recycles dryer sheets

Have a four to five year old Maytag refrigerator and the ice maker in the freezer drawer stopped working. This happened last year and was able to get it back working somehow. Last month stopped again. It's not the solenoid valve for the water so most likely the circuit board has an issue. Will pull it out this week so I'm sure what to re-order.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #2934

Quote:

That didn't resolve the intermittent starting issues, so it was time to try a replacement starter motor.

Great job on the starter R & R. Next time, look at just replacing the two copper contacts in the solenoid instead of replacing the whole starter. That's usually the issue on Hondas with intermittent starting issues, and long term, I've had better luck just replacing the contacts in the OEM starter, than gambling with an offshore parts house rebuild.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #2935

Quote:
I opened my cabin yesterday.

Turned on the water, and the copper pipe connected to the main water valve came flying apart. Water everywhere.

This valve is in the dark damp root cellar of my 1925 shack of a cabin.

I tried to just resolder it back together, and it still leaked. I ended up cutting off the section with the valve, and replacing the whole thing. Very satisfying when it didn't leak, and everything is now working properly.

I even have a working toilet.

I earned my evening beer.

JP

Attachment 34854

My advice to everyone when sweating copper pipe, Clean, Clean and Clean again.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 PM   #2936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
My advice to everyone when sweating copper pipe, Clean, Clean and Clean again.
Yes! And no moisture, either. I have used the white bread trick (no crusts ), and sometimes have resorted to using compressed air to blow a line backwards for 5 - 10 minutes with other faucets open, to dry out a pipe that kept doing little dribbles that would soak white bread too quick. In all the years I've soldered copper in repair and in totally new work, I have made exactly ONE bad joint! And when I took that one apart, I found that it was due to water, that caused me to keep on heating... which burned the flux up, leaving a non-wettable (soldering-wise) residue on one side.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #2937

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
Just replaced the run capacitor on my 4-ton HVAC unit. On startup, it was pulling too much current and making noise, so I figured it was time to change it. Runs great now, but I also ordered a 5-2-1 Soft Start kit on Amazon to lower the LRA even more. Might even be able to run it off the Honda EU7000is generator after that...we'll see.

Also installed a new Pentair variable speed pump for the pool. Got a $350 rebate from the utility company and should save about $400/year on electric vs. my old single speed pump. It's really quiet out there now...no pump noise when running at a lower RPM, so it was a good decision.

All ready for summer!
Great job!

I keep a spare parts inventory for our 2 and 4 ton units. Start and run caps, start relay. I also have some used but good parts that can be pressed into service - contactor or two with different mountings, a condenser fan with blade and its cap, lots of wires of different lengths with 1/4" QC's on them. I can and have patched the used motor with fan blade and its matched cap in to temporarily replace a motor that the bearing died on. My spare motor and fan has a greater blade pitch, and is a higher fractional HP, and blade is a bit smaller in diameter, but it moves plenty of air and worked well, so I could wait a week to get the proper motor via internet.

Question on your variable-speed pool pump motor... what kind of ON duration do you set your pump timer to now, versus what you had the previous single-speed set to? Or is it running 24/7?
Old 05-14-2020, 05:15 AM   #2938

Last year when my air conditioner was working properly, I found the cooling fan on the condenser unit was not turning, and it was very hot!
I had a squirrel cage fan with close to the same size capacitor, I swapped the cap and it ran fine. Found the exact cap on Amazon and ordered it. Then my BIL stopped over (HVAC guy) and he got in his truck and gave me a cap.
I cancelled the Amazon order.
I also oiled the bearings.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #2939

I just replaced my leaking outdoor spigot. This pales in comparison to other posts here, but nowadays that's about my limit. I no longer try complicated DIY projects.
But this was a grand success because: 1) Removal was easy and I didn't crack the pipe coming from the houses 2) Surprisingly, after putting on the new one there was no leak (and days later still no leak) and 3) Never once uttered the F word.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #2940

Not exactly a repair, but sort of...

DW and I had a solid oak front door installed in 2011. We decided to stain the door to bring out the natural grain and then apply a clear polyurethane finish to protect the door. Having done all that back in 2011 I was pleased the finish held up for nearly 9 years. The finish was beginning to show its age but had not peeled or blistered. A light sanding and some prep work the other day and I applied 6 more coats of polyurethane over a period of 3 days. Looks good. Hope it last for another 9 years. The before and after pictures don't do it justice - the new finish looks really good!

A side note... DW and I purchased the door way back in 2003 for a wedding anniversary gift for ourselves. I procrastinated with the installation as DW and I discussed the merit of staining the entire door (exterior too) versus staining only the interior and painting the exterior. Well, that very large, heavy door stood in the garage for over 7 years before we finally took the plunge and had it installed. We originally planned a DIY install with a friend but instead lucked into having Ask This Old House guru Tom Silva perform the installation. I've attached an abbreviated YouTube clip of the installation. The ATOH episode is actually quite a bit longer.

BTW, ATOH staff wanted only DW in the video.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2020_before_small.jpg (658.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 2020_after_small.jpg (608.3 KB, 33 views)
Closed Thread