Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 02:14 PM   #3221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our RV air conditioner stopped working. Blowing warm air, but I could tell the compressor would try to startup for a second or two. Got on the roof and measured the 5/50 startup capacitor. Fan side measured 5uf , compressor side measured 1.5uf instead of 50uf. Found a replacement part on ebay for $20. Must be lot of them failing since lots of places were out of stock. Put the new one in today and it works great.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2020, 04:04 PM   #3222
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Our RV air conditioner stopped working. Blowing warm air, but I could tell the compressor would try to startup for a second or two. Got on the roof and measured the 5/50 startup capacitor. Fan side measured 5uf , compressor side measured 1.5uf instead of 50uf. Found a replacement part on ebay for $20. Must be lot of them failing since lots of places were out of stock. Put the new one in today and it works great.
Made me look how to test them, so next time instead of simply replacing mine (which worked). I'll test it to be sure I'm not wasting my time fixing something not broke.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:48 PM   #3223

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
For $20 you're back in business! When I see topics like "A/C Blew Up", and they immediately start pondering getting an entirely new system, I just shake my head. That's fine if they knew what went bad and if it was something that's not easy to repair or replace, but when they have no idea and just say "I got a good decade out of it". Yeah, and it might have another decade if you dropped in a new capacitor!

Like my 13 year old microwave. I could have thrown it out and got a new one, but instead I replaced a door interlock switch. That was "free", because I had pulled some switches out of a REALLY old microwave that I threw out. I seriously doubt you'll want to watch it, but I made a repair video on the door interlock switches of my GE microwave
Old 08-17-2020, 03:32 PM   #3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I seriously doubt you'll want to watch it, but I made a repair video on the door interlock switches of my GE microwave.
Somewhere, sometime, someone will be very grateful that you posted that video. I know that I am grateful for all the people who do that and have saved me collectively thousands of dollars.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #3225
Administrator

I recently found that moisture somehow had gotten into my wristwatch -- an old Timex Expedition - and the inside of the crystal was fogging up. I figured that could not be good for the mechanism. So I took the strap off, took the back cover off and put the watch in a plastic bag with a pack of silica gel dessicant overnight. That did the trick. I put everything back together and the watch is returned to normal.

Not a big repair, but someone might find it useful.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:15 PM   #3226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I recently found that moisture somehow had gotten into my wristwatch -- an old Timex Expedition - and the inside of the crystal was fogging up. I figured that could not be good for the mechanism. So I took the strap off, took the back cover off and put the watch in a plastic bag with a pack of silica gel dessicant overnight. That did the trick. I put everything back together and the watch is returned to normal.

Not a big repair, but someone might find it useful.
Uncooked rice will also work, even for cell phones left out in rain.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 AM   #3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Somewhere, sometime, someone will be very grateful that you posted that video. I know that I am grateful for all the people who do that and have saved me collectively thousands of dollars.
Me too. I've used SO many YouTube videos to save me money. But not only that, it's pretty darn cool to nail a problem with your own two hands (as readers of this thread well know).

My videos are varied, most are DIY home maintenance. I've made a decision to not get any kickbacks (even though they withhold functionality). I want to give it away; my tiny contribution to the world.

Like anywhere online, there are people who troll and say mean things. I don't let it bother me. If they like the video, great, if not, the Internet is a big place. And often when somebody posts a mean comment, other posters will spontaneously come to my defense
Old 08-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #3228
Give me a forum ...

Time will tell if this repair lasts, but I think I fixed my Harbor Freight air compressor. This is the little 'pancake-style' one I got on sale in 2013 for $40. I really like it because it is small and light, I only use it occasionally for my nail guns (they don't use a lot of volume of air).

The last couple times it took a looong time to get up to pressure. I took it apart yesterday, and looked at some you tube videos. I didn't find anything obvious, one connection seemed a bit loose, so maybe it was leaking as it filled (the tank maintained pressure, but this is before the check valve, so could be a problem still).

I pulled the head, was pretty clean, the reed valves appeared to be OK. I didn't realize at the time that you can pop that reed plate out of the top of the head (it is just sitting in there, with silicone gaskets in between, compressed by the head bolts). The piston has no wrist pin, so it swings in an arc over its stroke. The “piston ring” is apparently made of Teflon, and it is maybe 3/8” high and a 1/4” thick, and is rounded to seal as the piston moves through that arc.

Not sure if it is a good idea or not, but I put some white lithium grease on it (might just catch dirt? I don't see any filter on this thing)? And I put some pneumatic oil on the reeds and crank as best I could. Came right up to pressure in ~ 4 minutes, about like new (and what the label claims). Takes about 50~60 seconds to refill from low trip (~ 85#) to high shut-off (~110#).

They make a new one for ~ 3x the price, quieter and maybe better quality, but it's heavier. I'll just try to keep this running.

I don't see any air filter, and I didn't make a note of where the air comes in, but I think I'll try to rig something up.

A couple videos that show that head/piton/reeds:

https://youtu.be/v-4jWqmBzh4?t=354

https://youtu.be/kDR4t5f117k?t=1172

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gall...sor-61615.html

-ERD50
Old 08-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #3229
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just repaired my Kubota BX1500 front axle differential days before my bi-lateral hernia surgery (which I am now on day 3 from recovery). Yes, it was a heavy lift but I was able to get it on a bench, tear it down and find the input shaft bearings were shot. Ground a few pounds off the bevel gears and destroyed the differential bearings. The dealer said it would likely be $2K to fix, but they were booked out a month. Kubota really makes money on parts. The little shaft with gear was $183 alone, but all in with new seals and bearings/gears I got it done for <$500 with oil and flushing oils. Since I was once a machine designer, it was fun seeing how poorly some things are designed to fail. The surgery went well...thank god for the On-Q pain pump!
Old 08-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #3230

OH, I have to add why this failed. The whole front assembly pivots on a single 3/4 inch bolt/shaft which is sealed with two little o-rings. As this shaft wears in the bushings, it leaks quickly and the bearings all fail. A real spring supported seal or packing type seal might not have failed so easily. This is simply doomed to fail in time.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #3231

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Time will tell if this repair lasts, but I think I fixed my Harbor Freight air compressor. This is the little 'pancake-style' one I got on sale in 2013 for $40. I really like it because it is small and light, I only use it occasionally for my nail guns (they don't use a lot of volume of air).
-ERD50
Kudos. I know that you aren't the target market as a light user but last year I treated myself to one of the electric nail guns when it was on super sale (the Ryobi 18V model).

Love it. Slap in the battery and off you go. No hoses, no noisy compressor, no draining it after. Lots of power and the battery lasts a long time.

Food for thought if the repair doesn't last.
Old 08-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #3232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Kudos. I know that you aren't the target market as a light user but last year I treated myself to one of the electric nail guns when it was on super sale (the Ryobi 18V model).

Love it. Slap in the battery and off you go. No hoses, no noisy compressor, no draining it after. Lots of power and the battery lasts a long time.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I don't think those were available back when I bought this in 2013. I recall looking at the nail guns that use a fuel canister and a battery to ignite a single shot piston, but they were big $.

There's nothing like a nail gun. I don't use it often, but it sure makes some jobs so much easier.

-ERD50
Old 08-28-2020, 04:57 PM   #3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post

Yep, I have the DeWalt 18V battery powered nail gun I got slightly used on ebay for cheap. Great tool! Battery lasts a very long time and is interchangeable with my other DeWalt tools.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #3234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
For $20 you're back in business! When I see topics like "A/C Blew Up", and they immediately start pondering getting an entirely new system, I just shake my head. That's fine if they knew what went bad and if it was something that's not easy to repair or replace, but when they have no idea and just say "I got a good decade out of it". Yeah, and it might have another decade if you dropped in a new capacitor!

Like my 13 year old microwave. I could have thrown it out and got a new one, but instead I replaced a door interlock switch. That was "free", because I had pulled some switches out of a REALLY old microwave that I threw out. I seriously doubt you'll want to watch it, but I made a repair video on the door interlock switches of my GE microwave
As a public service, I remind everyone that many microwave ovens have a high voltage capacitor that maintains a charge even after being unplugged. Apparently touching it can injure, even kill you. I learned this safety tidbit several months after tearing a microwave apart to attempt a fix (unsuccessful). Yet, somehow I live to tell the story.
Old 08-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #3235

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Latest repair: ROOF.

The latest heat caused some screws and nails to back out of flashings. The flashing popped, the nail popped, and during a heavy rain, we had a beautiful capillary action incident drawing a lot of water through the nail hole -- which was covered just fine in caulk. The water came through the gap between the flashing and shingle, UP roof, via capillary action.

I had to re-caulk and put down a few stainless screws instead of nails. Should do the trick for a year or two. It is time for a new roof anyway, something I'm dreading.
Similar thing. I have a mystery water leak around my french door. It has double flashing on top. One flashing right on top of the door, and another layer of flashing on top of that, done with the aluminum siding. I noticed a gap between the 2 flashings which could let water in when the wind and rain are from the north, then have a pressurized layer of water being forced left and right, to the top corners of the door, and onto and behind the wooden trim, and then who knows where. One more thing to try!
Old 09-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #3236

I'm having the rotted wooden brick mould trim replaced around an exterior french door, with PVC. I noticed there are 2 different forms of PVC brick mould available. One has a completely flat backing, the other has a half inch wide, quarter inch deep notch all along the back, approx in the middle of the piece. Any reason to get one and not the other? The store clerks say it makes no difference. I asked about a nail going through the notch, same answer, doesn't matter. Why the difference in shape? The notched variety is $10 and the flat one is $12 each. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #3237

Another post about the french door repair. I am having the bottom 8 inches of the wooden centerpost replaced with PVC also. It is 1.5 inches by 1.88 inches. The biggest PVC post I can find is only 1.5 by 1.5 inches. Clerks at Home Depot and Lowes don't know where to get anything larger. Cut 2 pieces of the 1.5 x 1.5 post and glue them together?
Old 09-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #3238
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think it matters much. I'm thinking it's a result of two different manufacturing runs on the trim. Or maybe one was designed with a small channel to allow any moisture to drain and not get trapped behind the moulding.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:21 AM   #3239
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmtree View Post
I don't think it matters much. I'm thinking it's a result of two different manufacturing runs on the trim. Or maybe one was designed with a small channel to allow any moisture to drain and not get trapped behind the moulding.
Could be. Two other thoughts: 1) could it be simply to save on material that's not really needed (the one with the gap was cheaper - easy to do with a mold for PVC, extra work to cut out of wood)? 2) Does having that gap help keep the moulding flat when you install it, it would bridge any bumps/irregularities behind it (seems like baseboard is made that way, I assume for that reason)?

-ERD50
Old 09-16-2020, 06:44 AM   #3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Could be. Two other thoughts: 1) could it be simply to save on material that's not really needed (the one with the gap was cheaper - easy to do with a mold for PVC, extra work to cut out of wood)? 2) Does having that gap help keep the moulding flat when you install it, it would bridge any bumps/irregularities behind it (seems like baseboard is made that way, I assume for that reason)?

-ERD50
My thought: with the cutout there, there would be more pressure on the remaining material, to fit tighter. Another interesting find: the new wooden brick mould has a ridge of some sort on the back. I had expected it to be flat. Mind blowing.
Closed Thread