Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2021, 04:12 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
^^^ It's because of the sloped ceiling, and there's not much clearance between the ceiling and the tips of the blades, as seng said.

Else, if the ceiling were flat, the shorter rod would work, per the recommendation by the fan maker.
I'm saying try a longer rod for more air movement of 24" -> 30"
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #362
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Have you checked how long the pump runs when it hits the low pressure kick-in? You really want it to run for at least one minute. This is the time it takes for the water flow to cool the pump from the initial surge (google "short cycle well pump").

Hopefully you didn't go too long with it short cycling, that is tough on the pump.
I haven't timed it but my new 52 gallon tank has a draw down of 16 gallons, so at 5gpm it should take about 3 minutes to refill. Assuming I'm not running the water continuously for lawn sprinklers, which would run the pump longer.

I have no idea how long the old pressure tank was bad. I noticed pressure variations a week or two ago when watering the lawn. I figured I was just overdue to replace the water filter, but discovered the failed tank in the process.

Everything seems to be working well since replacing the tank, but there is no way to know how much life is left on the pump. It could fail tomorrow, or it could last another 10 years.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #363

I have an intermittent problem on my F-350 truck that I've been working on for quite a while.
When we drive our truck to the mountains and stay overnight in the morning when I start the truck the left turn flasher would come on. I could flip the arm for the turn signal on and then off a couple times and it would stop and the the problem would be gone until the next time we went to the mountains. This has gone on for a few years. I figured it was related to the temperature difference since it is always a lot colder up in the mountains.

This week we went to the mountains again and same problem only this time couldn't get it to stop flashing. Tested all the turn signals/brake lights and everything was working normally except the left front turn signal was always flashing. So we drove home in the daytime so I don't think it caused any problems. The flashing continued all the way home. Got home and changed the flasher relay. No difference. I switched the two front bulbs and the problem remained the same. So was thinking there was probably a short in the wires for the left front light or on the switch for the turn signals in the steering wheel. Got thinking about the wires going to the steering wheel switch and remembered the tilt lever for the steering wheel which I never use. I cycled the steering wheel tilt through a couple cycles and the problem went away.

If it comes back I will probably remove the cover for the steering around the switch and inspect the wiring and/or replace the turn signal switch.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #364
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
I have an intermittent problem on my F-350 truck that I've been working on for quite a while.
When we drive our truck to the mountains and stay overnight in the morning when I start the truck the left turn flasher would come on. I could flip the arm for the turn signal on and then off a couple times and it would stop and the the problem would be gone until the next time we went to the mountains. This has gone on for a few years. I figured it was related to the temperature difference since it is always a lot colder up in the mountains.

This week we went to the mountains again and same problem only this time couldn't get it to stop flashing. Tested all the turn signals/brake lights and everything was working normally except the left front turn signal was always flashing. So we drove home in the daytime so I don't think it caused any problems. The flashing continued all the way home. Got home and changed the flasher relay. No difference. I switched the two front bulbs and the problem remained the same. So was thinking there was probably a short in the wires for the left front light or on the switch for the turn signals in the steering wheel. Got thinking about the wires going to the steering wheel switch and remembered the tilt lever for the steering wheel which I never use. I cycled the steering wheel tilt through a couple cycles and the problem went away.

If it comes back I will probably remove the cover for the steering around the switch and inspect the wiring and/or replace the turn signal switch.
I'm guessing you have a wire in the column that has some worn away insulation and under the right conditions, it contacts metal. Some lighting systems in vehicles have switches that short to ground to turn on a light.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Bought and installed two ceiling fans in the new gazebo...10' to the peak, and they recommended a 12" down rod.

So I get them installed last night, and turn them on, and literally can not feel any breeze. I thought they must be in "winter mode" (turning the wrong way), but the leading edge was on top...that wasn't it.

It's a 10 foot gazebo at the peak, and the 54 inch fan got somewhat close to the sloped roof, especially at the blade tips, so I thought I'd give the 18" downrod a try. Wow, what a difference. I was surprised and wanted to show my friends here what the difference was. It's <2 minute video that shows a little paper spinner under the 12 vs 18 installation. 6 inches makes a big difference!

https://youtu.be/o4VRJuCVJYE

Love your anemometer.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Love your anemometer.
Thanks. I started with the word "pinwheel" and found a youtube on how to make the downdraft spinner. I luv technology!
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:18 PM   #367
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Love your anemometer.
+1

Pretty convincing of the difference between the two fans. Positive scientific proof right there. No hand waving.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 AM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

I changed a lightbulb a few days ago. It wasn't too hard. I had a couple of neighbors over and a 12-pack of beer, just in case things got tricky. My wife got mad saying that I was just being cheap & should just call somebody, but I knew I could do it.

It really wasn't too bad. I'm planning to try changing another one next week, maybe.

GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #369

^^^

So, now you can answer the question: how many drunk neighbors does it take to change a lightbulb?
Old 07-25-2021, 09:07 PM   #370

I took down our bedroom ceiling fan because it was starting to get noisy. I dropped some oil into the outside of the main shaft, top and bottom. Let it sit for about an an hour and added non-detergent 20 weight oil several different times, following instructions I saw on YouTube. Quieter so far.

Since there's no proper oiling hole for the motor, I'm skeptical about it working long-term. I'd be happy to get through the summer so I don't have to go into the attic. I was unimpressed with the installation because the previous installer didn't change the electric box for a fan-rated one, and there was movement in the fan hanger.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:13 PM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^...must resist...don't post it...
Ahh go ahead!

1922 Garage Door cable and spring croaked. After consulting with several of 'the guys' I get second opinions from the fix was not obvious. DW intervened.

Home Depot will install a new 'metal' door - September at the earliest.

Heh heh heh - Yes dear.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:55 PM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Ahh go ahead!

1922 Garage Door cable and spring croaked. After consulting with several of 'the guys' I get second opinions from the fix was not obvious. DW intervened.

Home Depot will install a new 'metal' door - September at the earliest.

Heh heh heh - Yes dear.
At least you won't strain yourself.

I watched a fellow replace the single car garage door in the condo , they were doing many doors at one time.
He was very efficient and amazingly fast, since he had done it dozens of times already.
I don't recall exactly the time, but within 1 hour he had, unloaded the boxes, the old one off and new one one and working with the garage door opener.

It takes me 2 hours just to replace a garage door opener.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
1922 Garage Door cable and spring croaked.
Bedroom ceiling fan didn't last nearly that long, label says 2010. Harbor Breeze brand from Lowe's.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:22 AM   #374

I've been putting this off for a long time. Of course the rotted window sill was only the tip of the iceberg...the horizontal one-by on the bottom was rotted on both ends. I bought a PVC replacement yesterday. Today I get a reprieve due to everything being wet from a downpour yesterday, and I wanted to apply wood hardener. The plan is to replace the big stuff with PVC versions and Bondo the places I removed rot with the oscillating tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210724_165309217.jpg (708.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:28 AM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I'm saying try a longer rod for more air movement of 24" -> 30"
The 18" put the blades at just under 7.5 feet from the floor. We have a fan in the basement (lower ceiling) and those blades are at 7 feet from the floor. In that case we have had unintended contact with the blades (ouch!). So longer isn't always a good idea.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:39 AM   #376
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Bought and installed two ceiling fans in the new gazebo...10' to the peak, and they recommended a 12" down rod.

So I get them installed last night, and turn them on, and literally can not feel any breeze. I thought they must be in "winter mode" (turning the wrong way), but the leading edge was on top...that wasn't it.

It's a 10 foot gazebo at the peak, and the 54 inch fan got somewhat close to the sloped roof, especially at the blade tips, so I thought I'd give the 18" downrod a try. Wow, what a difference. I was surprised and wanted to show my friends here what the difference was. It's <2 minute video that shows a little paper spinner under the 12 vs 18 installation. 6 inches makes a big difference!

https://youtu.be/o4VRJuCVJYE
Great video-Thx for sharing. I have an Aunt that had a similar gazebo installed over their deck. They are going to have a ceiling fan installed, so I will mention your video to her.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:53 AM   #377
Recycles dryer sheets

I replaced a Moen kitchen faucet with sensors last week. They sensors are so you can wave your hand over to turn on the faucet. They started going on and off by themselves when no one was near them. I changed out the batteries, but they continued to go on & off, so I call Moen. The faucet has a 5 year warranty on the electronics and wouldn’t you know, we had it for six years. They emailed a coupon that had to be used within a week, for 75% off a new faucet. It’s kind of a joke, since the online faucets on their site are so overpriced to begin with, but I guess it’s there way of trying to keep you with there brand. We checked the price versus the big box stores and it was cheaper with the coupon, but still managed to be $300.
So I install the new faucet, which was pretty simple, since it was just swapping out one faucet for the same kind, but now when we turn the water off, it drips 5/6 times then stops. Not awlful, but it just shouldn’t do it. So I call Moen back. Before I could explain the whole story, the lady told me it was a known issue and she was going to send out a fix it kit to replace the electronic part.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
I replaced a Moen kitchen faucet with sensors last week. They sensors are so you can wave your hand over to turn on the faucet. They started going on and off by themselves when no one was near them. ...
Oh boy... I was thinking about "Blowing That Dough" on one of those sensor kitchen faucets. Seem like a nice thing to have. But that issue has really turned me off to them.

But if I wait, I probably won't be able to get one that doesn't rely on an internet connection to function (see related thread).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:37 AM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a Moen Motionsense Hands-Free kitchen Faucet. It really is a nice feature if your hands are dirty from cooking, etc.
However, this might turn you off even further. I just completed their “fix” which consisted of replacing the control box. Now it drips 2/3 times compared to 5/6 times that it was doing. Plus, the sensor on the neck of the faucet will turn the water on, but it shuts off on its own, shortly after.
Looks like another call to Moen. Ugh
Old 07-27-2021, 11:02 AM   #380
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bought a used boat. Come to find the trailer wiring was all messed up. Not sure what it is about trailers, but the wiring always seems messed up. I think I've probably troubleshot and fixed a dozen of them over the years. Fairy simple if you know what it should look like. Got it all set on this one...for now.
lrip is offline   Reply With Quote