Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #461
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Son visiting - pulled up on the Moon shower diverter in the guest bathroom - black seal pops out and washes down the drain.

Carefully unscrewed the drain and found the seal resting on the cross pieces where the cover screws into the assembly. Yay!!!...

So - question is WHY and HOW would the seal pop out of the indented area where it was seated?
I would guess seal shrinkage due to age.
NateW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2021, 12:04 PM   #462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Replaced the water heater at DD's house. They chose a model with a lifetime tank warranty. Turns out this is a commercial model with a plastic tank. Directions said to use solderless connections so the top of the tank where the fittings enter the tank won't melt from the heat of the soldering process. I'm glad I broke tradition and actually read the directions for once. Thank goodness for pipe thread and shark bites.
freedomatlast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:39 PM   #463

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
I would guess seal shrinkage due to age.
Perhaps, but this is odd looking and the original looked perfect.

To get the seal with sides to slip out would require a lot of water, or the face getting stuck on the diverter ... anyway, used some RTV only on the sides to hold it in better.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-09-13 at 3.34.16 PM.png (115.3 KB, 20 views)
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 02:45 PM   #464

I noticed there was a small stream of water coming out of one of my drip irrigation valves. Fortunately, I had ordered one because of another problem and used the valve from the new one for a past problem.
I disassembled both of them and found the gasket on the old one had slipped somehow. I put the gasket from the new valve in and tightened the screws, and the problem was solved.
Swapping the valves out would have been a real mess.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 04:32 PM   #465

I recently installed a ductless air conditioner and ran the refrigerant lines along the bottom of our wall. Unfortunately, this left our outdoor water faucet in an awkward location. So I moved it about three feet to the right in a more convenient location. Simple job other than having to make four trips down into the crawlspace, pulling down insulation, working with PEX pipe for the first time, and patching the hole left by the old faucet.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 07:31 PM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I recently installed a ductless air conditioner and ran the refrigerant lines along the bottom of our wall. Unfortunately, this left our outdoor water faucet in an awkward location. So I moved it about three feet to the right in a more convenient location. Simple job other than having to make four trips down into the crawlspace, pulling down insulation, working with PEX pipe for the first time, and patching the hole left by the old faucet.

Wow, you cannot even tell where the patch was! Nice job.

(Oh, the advantages of having built your own home. Most would have just left the bib where it was!)
Old 09-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
Wow, you cannot even tell where the patch was! Nice job.

(Oh, the advantages of having built your own home. Most would have just left the bib where it was!)
You can see the little square patch if you look close. It did turn out better than I thought it would though. I can see it because I'm picky, but most people probably wouldn't notice.

Ironically, I just replaced that faucet in July because parts were no longer available to fix the old faucet. So I've made quite a few trips under the house the last few months.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets

This summer we purchased a house in the country that uses propane for heat, cooking and the gas fireplace, supplied by a 500 gallon buried tank. I connected our propane grill to the house propane supply. No more expensive 15 pound grill propane tanks! I used soft copper pipe, flared the tubing and installed a Tee fitting in the fireplace gas line under the deck and ran the new line to where we use the grill. I terminated the line with a gas valve and adapter to accept a rubber propane appliance hose and connected the hose to the grill. I leak checked all connections. The gas regulator for the house provides the correct gas pressure for the grill, 11 inches water column. All I have left to do is caulk around the gas line where it goes through the deck and deck railing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210913_090740961.jpg (556.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210913_084943909.jpg (439.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210913_085021672.jpg (425.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210913_085206145.jpg (467.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210913_085146357.jpg (583.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210915_064157769.jpg (436.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #469

^ Nice on the propane project!

Today's minor project was to mix up a gallon zip lock with mortar mix and repoint missing mortar in my front and garage brick steps. The pictures of the propane project were nice...I didn't take any pictures myself. I'd been looking at the missing mortar for years and "some day" finally happened!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:34 PM   #470
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateW View Post
This summer we purchased a house in the country that uses propane for heat, cooking and the gas fireplace, supplied by a 500 gallon buried tank. I connected our propane grill to the house propane supply. No more expensive 15 pound grill propane tanks! I used soft copper pipe, flared the tubing and installed a Tee fitting in the fireplace gas line under the deck and ran the new line to where we use the grill. I terminated the line with a gas valve and adapter to accept a rubber propane appliance hose and connected the hose to the grill. I leak checked all connections. The gas regulator for the house provides the correct gas pressure for the grill, 11 inches water column. All I have left to do is caulk around the gas line where it goes through the deck and deck railing.
Nice
Now you are all set to add propane heater and outdoor fireplace.
Maybe run the extra connections under the deck and have them pop up at the right spot via a 2" hole with a grommet in the hole .
Old 09-16-2021, 07:38 PM   #471
Recycles dryer sheets

Excellent idea Sunset. I'll add it to my project list.

The half inch OD copper tubing, fittings, and pipe hangers were about $65. I already had the flaring tool and thread sealant for the few threaded fittings I used (no sealer is used on flare fittings). The gas cut-off valve was salvaged from an earlier project of replacing a propane water heater with an (electric) heat pump one. I was going to buy a new valve, but Lowes had none in stock (I am finding a lot of things to be out of stock lately).

I calculated the price of propane when you exchange one of the 15 pound BBQ tanks (current cost is $20/tank). It comes to about $6.25 a gallon. We just had our first propane fill at $1.75 a gallon (new customer discount price). Next one will be higher, but it sure won't approach $6+ a gallon.
Old 09-20-2021, 11:18 PM   #472
Give me a forum ...

My story of passing up the opportunity to fix something.

Our 25 yr old side by side fridge stopped making ice.
I pulled out the ice container, and looked at it, and tapped with my fingers on various parts.
Didn't see anything loose, so closed the door and washed my hands. As I walked by the fridge I noticed a FLOOD in front of the fridge, water pouring out.

The ice maker was pouring water out at quite a rapid rate. I bolted down the stairs and shut off the water to the fridge.
After cleaning up the mess, and looking online, I can see the part that is probably gone bad (water inlet) is ~$50.
Since the fridge is 25 yrs old, I decided to just buy another fridge.

The delivery date for the new fridge is supposed to be 60 days from now, so I'm glad our fridge is working as a basic fridge/freezer !

I bought an Amana 24.5 cu ft side-by-side with the water/ice in the door. It was $977 on sale plus delivery.
Old 09-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
.... The ice maker was pouring water out at quite a rapid rate. I bolted down the stairs and shut off the water to the fridge. ....
Thanks. This made me realize I didn't know where (or if) the shutoff for the fridge water supply was.

Was easy to find, now I'll put a hang tag there so it can be found in an emergency.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:37 AM   #474
Give me a forum ...

The water pouring out of the freezer, was a huge amount.

In the past I've had the drainage tube block and a bit of water dribbled out in front of the fridge. This was very different and shocked me as I've never thought of a fridge as a water leak source.

Had I gone upstairs after closing the freezer door instead of washing my hands at the kitchen sink, I would have had water over the entire kitchen and dining area in 10 minutes.

I'm going to put one of those water detector chirpy things by the new fridge.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #475
Recycles dryer sheets

Patching stucco and will continue for a few more days. We figure if we can get 5-10 years with a bit of a Jackson Pollock look fixing cracks and holes then we can better plan on the spend for a complete restucco.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
Patching stucco and will continue for a few more days. We figure if we can get 5-10 years with a bit of a Jackson Pollock look fixing cracks and holes then we can better plan on the spend for a complete restucco.
When you think of a complete restucco, remember that you can change to something else instead (unless not allowed by HOA) like siding, etc..
Old 10-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #477

More DIY repairs

The past few months, I've been noticing that the agitator in our top-loading washing machine was slipping and barely moving the clothes. After some research, I learned that within the agitator mechanism, there are 4 little plastic inserts called "dogs" (they look like dog ears), that grab into the agitator spindle to move it. Over time these wear down. On our 20 year old washing machine, not unexpected. A pack of 4 of them on Amazon is $5, or a 12 pack for $7.75. I received them next day. I took the agitator out, swapped the dogs, reinstalled, and it's agitating like new. Little doubt it would have run $150 had we called a repair person to come and do it. For the washer and the matching 20 year old dryer, I've already told DW that once I am no longer able to DIY repair them, we'll get a new set. I've said that for the past 10 years, and each minor fix gives them each new life. Youtube DIY videos and cheap parts from Amazon continue to keep them alive.

Next project...my 2011 Chevy HHR has developed a problem with the fuel line. It is a well-known design problem on the HHR and Cobalt (very similar chassis design), NHTSA opened an investigation about 18 months ago, but has not closed it yet, and so there hasn't been a recall for it. In any case, I call the local Chevy dealer I trust(ed). I already made the appointment online to bring the car in later in the week, and just wanted to get an estimate. They say they can't give me an estimate without paying them $175 to do their own diagnostics to determine the problem. The $175 is in addition to whatever work they do to fix. I tell them I know the problem and want to have the fuel line replaced, just tell me the price. They refuse. I cancel the appointment. Other folks online have indicated prices anywhere from $600 with an independent garage up to $1000 if Chevrolet does it. I purchase $80 kit online that is specifically to repair the issue - which the manufacturer(s) obviously created because the design flaw is affecting so many folks. Kit should arrive in a few days.

What DIY home projects have you worked on recently or plan to take on in the near future?
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 07:08 AM   #478
Give me a forum ...

I do most of our repairs. Here are a few recent ones.

1) Replaced start cap in secondary AC unit. Ordered spares for Primary in anticipation
2) Replaced noisy seal on pool pump
3) Replaced rollers on both 9' patio doors, (Very heavy)
4) Rebuilt pool cleaner
5) Put auto water filler in new coffee maker reservoir.
6) Repaired RF Universal Remote
7) Replaced sealed window pane in breakfast room window.
8) Hung 50" TV in my Office.
9) Extended sprinkler heads to clear shrubbery.
10) Installed 8 wired (No Wireless Security in our home) POE Cameras and Controller around the house.

The list goes on and is never ending in a 3k+ square foot home. Considering selling while prices are high and renting. But then what would I do?

Oh, I forgot, helped with next door neighbor's chores:

11) Repaired their garbage disposal.
12) Fixed starter motor on their Jeep.
13) Unclogged their ICE maker
14) Replaces hot water valve in their master bath
15) Cleaned out the dust from their Fridge (Fan was out of balance & noisy)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:35 AM   #479

posts moved to annual ongoing repair thread
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 09:05 AM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
posts moved to annual ongoing repair thread
What does this mean? I'm confused. Did you move a post to this thread from somewhere else? Or did you move a post on this thread to another thread?
euro is offline   Reply With Quote