Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2022, 05:36 PM   #921
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I agree. You will probably be hard pressed to think of anything OpenOffice can't do for you.
I switched over to libre office, a fork off open office..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2022, 09:23 AM   #922
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
That's one of my pet peeves. Tile layout is very important.
I spend a fair amount of time on prep work, tile layout and surface prep.

For showers and tub surround I ensure that I start level-vertical and horizontal and I verify it on each row.

Both are the most important part of the job. Screw that up and you have the tile job from hell.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:33 AM   #923

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
I spend a fair amount of time on prep work, tile layout and surface prep.

For showers and tub surround I ensure that I start level-vertical and horizontal and I verify it on each row.

Both are the most important part of the job. Screw that up and you have the tile job from hell.
I had a tile guy do some work. He was recommended by a family member. Without a doubt, he was on the weird side. Anyway, his first day there, he didn’t seem to do any work. Come to find out, he was laying it all out, measuring, taking notes, . . . In the end, it was the best tile job I’d ever seen. When other trades came in to finish the rest of the bathroom they all commented on the tile. I never realized how much thought needed to go into tiling.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:02 PM   #924
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I had a tile guy do some work. He was recommended by a family member. Without a doubt, he was on the weird side. Anyway, his first day there, he didn’t seem to do any work. Come to find out, he was laying it all out, measuring, taking notes, . . . In the end, it was the best tile job I’d ever seen. When other trades came in to finish the rest of the bathroom they all commented on the tile. I never realized how much thought needed to go into tiling.
Years ago, I had a tile guy who was recommended by a good friend do our downstairs tile job. Same thing, first day measure and cut all the outside pieces, trim under door molding, layout grids, etc. Second day, lay tile. Third day, grout. Absolutely beautiful job.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:01 PM   #925
Give me a forum ...

There's a big water spot on the 12' sheet rock ceiling out in my garage. I've had a drip drip in the shower faucet directly above that spot.

The grandson took a long shower in the other upstairs bath today, and there's water dripping down from my kitchen ceiling downstairs.

I've got to tear out the sheetrock to get to the underside of the shower/tub(s) to see if the problems are leaking drain or leaking faucet. If it's a simple plumbing repair, I'll do it and get a professional drywall person to hang new sheet rock.

Hanging sheet rock on 12' and 9' ceilings and finishing it is a job for a professional. The pros do such jobs effortlessly where it's best reserved for someone that does the job daily.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #926
Recycles dryer sheets

With at least a year of procrastinating.. engine and tranny is out. A very productive weekend.

nphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:11 PM   #927
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There's a big water spot on the 12' sheet rock ceiling out in my garage. I've had a drip drip in the shower faucet directly above that spot.

The grandson took a long shower in the other upstairs bath today, and there's water dripping down from my kitchen ceiling downstairs.

I've got to tear out the sheetrock to get to the underside of the shower/tub(s) to see if the problems are leaking drain or leaking faucet. If it's a simple plumbing repair, I'll do it and get a professional drywall person to hang new sheet rock.

Hanging sheet rock on 12' and 9' ceilings and finishing it is a job for a professional. The pros do such jobs effortlessly where it's best reserved for someone that does the job daily.

Salvaged my 52inch Samsung flatscreen TV by replacing two 50 cent capacitors on the circuit board. TV would turn on but no picture Evidently a known issue with this model. YouTube had the fix for it. Look for the swollen capacitors.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:22 PM   #928
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nphx View Post
With at least a year of procrastinating.. engine and tranny is out. A very productive weekend.

I must have been busy and missed this! That big slabby fender looks familiar, and you mentioned engine AND transmission out. So I looked for an unmistakable THM (Turbo HydraMatic) 425 transmission... and there it is, sitting on a tire!

The front fender extension doesn't have a cut-out for a bumper, so I assume this is a 1974 or later big-bumper car, and the bumper is obviously off at the moment. I paused and did a search, looks 1975-78 with the chrome trim on the fender bottom.

My Aunt had a first-gen FWD 1968, I loved that car, high-compression 472 cu. engine that ran on premium, white with a black vinyl top, hideaway headlights, and the really cool rear-end design with the space-age minimal tail lights. It was sooo cool! But unfortunately, they lived states away.

It was later replaced by a second-gen 1972 powered by a reduced-compression 500. It was a bigger car, sort of leaving the realm of the "personal luxury car" beginnings. And the compression drop of 1972 was everywhere. The 1972 had a very fragile-looking exposed at the corners tail light treatment that seemed to be just looking to get crunched in a parking lot!
These were both factory-plate cars, unk's position being what it was. He himself drove pre-production prototypes and early releases that were monitored for issues, usually other GM brands.

The THM 425 sure was an unusual automatic transmission! To virtually build one, take the big-block THM 400 like I had in my 455 Cutlass Supreme, saw it in half somewhere behind the torque converter, take the sawed-off piece and spin it 180 degrees so it's output end faces forward, connect it to it's other part via a big roller chain. At the output end of the trans, where a u-joint yoke would be, meld in a rear differential from a big GM car there. But saw-off the axle tubes, and put on fittings to take axle half-shafts with CV joints to drive each front wheel. THEN set the engine in on top of it.
IIRC, most transmission work required removing the engine to get access.

Oddly enough, I just found there's a wiki on the THM 425! I never thought about it that it had to internally reverse-rotation, otherwise it would have had one speed forward, and three in reverse! They didn't explain it in the article, but I figured out why. The roller chain doesn't reverse rotation, but spinning the rest of the trans 180 to face forward, powering what was a RWD differential, would give the differential's pinion input the wrong rotation.

Oh, BTW, see you didn't use some wimpy cherry-picker type hoist to get that big block out, wise move!
Old 09-19-2022, 06:04 AM   #929
Recycles dryer sheets

Removing a tree that fell. I'm about to hear the bad news about a repair of my moonroof on my Mazda CX5.
vafoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:09 AM   #930
Give me a forum ...

My nearly 8 year old MacBook developed a sticky key that often did not respond to my touch. Sadly it was the 'r' key rather than some lesser used key like 'z' or 'x'.

After wiping the keyboard surface clean, I gently pulsed gas across the keyboard. It did not do much good. I opened the back and cleaned that are also, though there was not much dirt and the keys were well hidden. On a lark, I gently tapped the edge of the computer on a wood table with the open back pointing towards the floor. I was hoping something lodged in the key mechanisms might loosen and fall out, perhaps a hair or particle of some sort. After reassembling the computer, it how works fine including the 'r' key.

I had thought to use the sticky 'r' key as an excuse to order a new M2 chip Macbook. But, the old one just keeps chugging along. Slow, but once again very reliable.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:20 AM   #931
Give me a forum ...

I noticed one of the sprinkler discharge heads on my aerobic septic system had "blown off". Must have been gas. Easy fix with some PVC glue...
Old 09-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I had thought to use the sticky 'r' key as an excuse to order a new M2 chip Macbook. But, the old one just keeps chugging along. Slow, but once again very reliable.

Same here with my 2013 Macbook Air. Just keeps plugging along. I did have to replace the battery a couple of years ago as the old one wouldn't hold a charge for more than 10 minutes anymore, so had to be kept plugged in. I think I paid $60 for the replacement and $5 for the required torx screwdrivers. Took maybe 45 minutes to replace.
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:52 PM   #933
Give me a forum ...

I'm diagnosing starting issues with a 40 yr old 80HP Mercury engine. Dealers won't work on it as it's too old.
I found some wires so brittle they broke when touched,
I looked up the cost of a new bundle of wires, it was $70, for what is basically 4 wires taped together with terminal ends.
Only one is broke, but I figure I might as well replace both bundles as the effort is the same and if one is bad, the other might go bad soon.

So I made my own for $7 each plus 1 hour of time. I've installed them both.
This is one of the ones I made, the snipper tool is for size comparison:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIRE_Bundle_small.jpg (709.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 10-06-2022, 09:41 AM   #934

Not so much a repair as a newly found maintenance item. I had some plumbing hammering making noise when the washing machine was running. Looked over the plumbing, which is about 5 years since being redone, and noticed the plumber did install hammer arrestors. He also installed some shut off valves that made it easy to isolate the hammer arrestors. I thought I was going to have to drain the entire plumbing system. Anyway, I disconnected the washer hoses and drained that part of the plumbing and that seems to have corrected the issue. Glad it was an easy fix.

In doing some research, there were comments, even from the manufacturer of the hammer arrestors, that on the new front load washers, you may need to install arrestors in the plumbing AND right and the washing machine connection. I may still do that but was wondering if anyone has two (actually four because hot and cold both need 2), arrestors in their plumbing for the washing machine?
Old 10-06-2022, 11:00 AM   #935

The icemaker in our whirlpool fridge quit working yesterday. I even tried forcing a cycle by bridging the T-H test ports. No go. It's already the second icemaker I've put in the fridge and wasn't looking forward to buying a third one. I turned off the power, pulled out the icemaker, and melted the ice with warm water. Dried it off, reinstalled, turned power back on, and all seems to be working well again. Weird. Don't know what was up with it, but for now it's running.

I also made a new handle for the poker stick that came with our firepit. The original plastic handle broke years ago when it fell on our paver patio. Cut a short piece of closet rod I had laying around, drilled a hole through the middle to fit over the metal stick, then roughly shaped it to fit with a file and belt sander. Nothing fancy, but it looks decent, and is certainly nicer to hold than the broken plastic handle. Applied a quick spray of lacquer to make it extra fancy. Small task that has been on my to-do list for the last couple years.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:31 AM   #936

Did this last summer, but it's holding up well. Had a hole in the vinyl siding. Rather than replace the piece, took an old scrap and made a patch. Glued in a wood backer first, held temporarily with paper clips. Once adhesive dried, glued the patch to it and sealed edges with heat gun. Looks great.

DSCF6236.jpg

DSCF6237.jpg

DSCF6239.jpg

DSCF6240.jpg

DSCF6241.jpg

DSCF6245.jpg
Old 10-08-2022, 01:29 PM   #937

Nice!

Years ago I stole pieces of vinyl siding off the back of a rental house to replace the damaged ones in the front.

Back of that place was perpetually in the shade so even though the replacement pieces didn't exactly match no one noticed.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:26 PM   #938
Give me a forum ...

I think this will fit in well with the siding discussion above.

Recent disaster relief trip ended up also dealing with typical 3/8" drywall repairs, i.e. the "disaster" of the heavy nephew tripping and falling in the hallway and having his elbow contact the thin drywall.

I used a technique I've never tried before. Cut the patch 2" extra wide all sides, peel off the gypsum to the proper hole size, so the gypsum fits in the hole, and you have a paper "collar" to fit outside the hole.

I almost got this right, but I had the paper crinkle on me. I did two coats and our clients were pleased beyond belief. I think in three coats, I could have made it absolutely disappear. I will use this technique again for drywall holes.

I always used to use backing wood (much like the siding repair a few posts back) for this kind of repair, but the disaster construction manager suggested this technique, and it is something we talked about in the drywall class I took, although we didn't practice it. (Yep, an actual class sponsored by our local community college.) It also deals with the problem of matching 1/4" or 3/8" drywall with 1/2" drywall. You really can't use backing wood with the mismatch. This works best.

I will use this technique again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drywall2.jpg (83.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg drywall1a.jpg (44.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg drywall1.jpg (63.2 KB, 25 views)

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:53 AM   #939
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Did this last summer, but it's holding up well. Had a hole in the vinyl siding. Rather than replace the piece, took an old scrap and made a patch. Glued in a wood backer first, held temporarily with paper clips. Once adhesive dried, glued the patch to it and sealed edges with heat gun. Looks great.
Great work. Help me out here... The screw is just used to "pull back" as you secure the sides held by the clips, right? Then the screw is backed out?

This is good stuff!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:26 AM   #940
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Recent disaster relief trip ended up also dealing with typical 3/8" drywall repairs, i.e. the "disaster" of the heavy nephew tripping and falling in the hallway and having his elbow contact the thin drywall.

I used a technique I've never tried before. Cut the patch 2" extra wide all sides, peel off the gypsum to the proper hole size, so the gypsum fits in the hole, and you have a paper "collar" to fit outside the hole.

...... It also deals with the problem of matching 1/4" or 3/8" drywall with 1/2" drywall. You really can't use backing wood with the mismatch. This works best.

That is a great idea, I'm going to use it from now on too, sometimes fitting in a backing is awkward so often I've resorted to cutting the hole larger to get to studs, which makes for a very large patch sometimes. Still I have to have the same thickness of patch material.