Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2023, 08:42 AM   #1121
Recycles dryer sheets

Shower door decided to give up the ghost and fell off last week. We had the door and a new framed shower surround installed 22 years ago when we remodeled the master bathroom. Total cost of that enclosure and door was $750 installed.

Can no longer get parts for the aluminum framed enclosure after trying several local businesses. They were able to reinstall the door at no cost but made it clear the hinges are broken and it will not last.

New frameless shower surround and door ordered for delivery in about 2 weeks. Total cost with removal of old surround, disposal, and new installation is $1950. Wonder if this qualifies for the inflation thread. lol I was expecting about $1500 but as usual, underestimated it yet again.
5Miler is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2023, 11:35 AM   #1122
Recycles dryer sheets

I just ordered spark plugs and wires for our ‘01 GMC Yukon. I haven’t changed my own plugs since the 70s, but after getting $600 quotes, I figured I’d give it a go for about $150 in parts and necessary tools. I did check to make sure each plug was easily accessible. :-)
Old 01-21-2023, 04:10 AM   #1123
Dryer sheet aficionado

Updating our new home in Tennessee. Got aggravated enough with ADT traveling salesman that we didn't take the service, and I'm removing all the ADT equipment from the walls. It's obsolete and hasn't been used for years (according to the previous owners). So there's lots of drywall patching and painting.
HighFlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 06:25 AM   #1124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Must be shower season... My shower head & wand, Delta brand, went kaputt after 5 years. The cap that connects the swivel ball to the sprayer cracked & was unrepairable. Purchased a replacement as the part is not purchasable (likely by design) & noticed the warranty blurb (lifetime for original homeowners) on the documentation. Called them after using the new part & they're sending me a new complete product via UPS completely free of charge.

Took literally 15 minutes to process it. Kudos to Delta.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #1125

Visiting DD's place...2 year old house. Not sure how this ended up this way, but only recently noticed a water stain on the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230121_135414958_HDR.jpg (970.1 KB, 34 views)
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:27 AM   #1126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Visiting DD's place...2 year old house. Not sure how this ended up this way, but only recently noticed a water stain on the ceiling.
YIKES!

For the repair, new boot, or just proper alignment?

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:55 AM   #1127

Not knowing what I'd find when I got up there, and not wanting to climb up and down, I went armed with a tube of roof goop.

I would have liked to correct the alignment, but figured that would have been done already if it was easy. And I had not looked in the attic beforehand. Another boot over the top also entered my mind, too. But just visiting, and not having a lot of time, I went with the goop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230121_135959535_HDR.jpg (601.2 KB, 24 views)
sengsational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #1128
Give me a forum ...

That's reasonable to stop the bleeding. After all, you probably (at least I DO) suspect it was this way from day one and the boot has seen a few seasons of misplaced positioning, so adjusting it probably is not going to be best since it will have seen UV deterioration in a bad position.

Perhaps in the next few years a retrofit cover boot can be placed. No rush, your fix should last at least 5 years or more.

About 7 or 8 years ago, I was working, had no time, so I paid to have a guy fix some leaks and placed some slip overs that worked pretty well. The reason for the leaks is another story for a different thread, maybe pet peeves... Anyway, a year ago I had roof replacement and had quite a few sheets of sheathing replaced because of the original leaks. So it goes.

This product is something like what my leak guy placed. It was pretty easy for him. The version he used was slightly different, but same idea.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:03 PM   #1129

JoeWras, that sample pic looked like the shingling was done by the Doofus Brothers, Biggie and Little!

Unless it was chosen on purpose, how to pull a save on a short-term roof

I think the Doofus Brothers could always undercut the competition, by underestimating the squares required. "Don't worry, we'll MAKE it fit"
Old 01-24-2023, 04:52 AM   #1130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
JoeWras, that sample pic looked like the shingling was done by the Doofus Brothers, Biggie and Little!

Unless it was chosen on purpose, how to pull a save on a short-term roof

I think the Doofus Brothers could always undercut the competition, by underestimating the squares required. "Don't worry, we'll MAKE it fit"
Ha ha ha! I'll have to put Doofus Brothers, Biggie and Little on my list of approved contractors.

I just grabbed this link from the big wide interwebs. I wasn't thinking about the shingles.

Now, in defense of the shingles... There are certain types of shingling that has some weird shadow designs. I'm presuming these are that type. You are not necessarily looking at sealing strips, but rather faux shadows.

That said, I haven't seen this type lately. It was a thing about 20 years ago.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:05 AM   #1131
Moderator Emeritus

Looks like the boot was installed first and the pipe was pushed down through it, pushing the upper part of the boot with it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:21 AM   #1132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Looks like the boot was installed first and the pipe was pushed down through it, pushing the upper part of the boot with it.
Yeah, I've been trying to think how this happened, and I think you are right.

I could even see a situation where it looked good at first, then the plumber had to man-handle the vent (push up, then pull down) to make a connection to a fitting.

Another possibility is the insulation guys (or another worker) stepped on a not fully secured horizontal vent run and yanked the vent down a bit.

It is a bummer for Sengsational's DD no matter how it happened.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:02 AM   #1133
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yeah, I've been trying to think how this happened, and I think you are right.

I could even see a situation where it looked good at first, then the plumber had to man-handle the vent (push up, then pull down) to make a connection to a fitting.

Another possibility is the insulation guys (or another worker) stepped on a not fully secured horizontal vent run and yanked the vent down a bit.

It is a bummer for Sengsational's DD no matter how it happened.
Yep - these are other possibilities. Whatever happened, the last step should have been the boot going down or the vent pipe going up.

I can't remember if my roof was done before or after I did my plumbing. But I seem to remember doing as you said - man-handle the vent pipe up through the boot from inside the attic then back down to connect to the piping already in place. But I think I lubed the boot or pipe first with soapy water to make it work.
Old 01-26-2023, 01:59 PM   #1134
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been on a John Hartford thing lately. Here’s a tune about washing machines. I bet HFWR knows it well.

https://youtu.be/NnA9V-qqLGs

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:46 PM   #1135

I changed the lift struts on the trunk of my Subaru. The old ones were still holding the trunk lid up, but offered no assistance in lifting it or resistance in closing it.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:19 PM   #1136

Saved about $40 today by fixing a switch that operates the chute direction on my snow thrower. The chute would turn in one direction but not the other. Pulled the switch out and turned it around and the chute turned the other direction just fine so I knew it was the switch. I took the switch apart and it was a simple rocker inside so I cleaned up the contacts and reassembled the switch and it worked just fine. A new switch costs about $40 so not a bad deal for about 15 minutes work.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:57 AM   #1137
Moderator Emeritus

A couple of repairs.

Bought a disk /belt sander combo. Disk sander ran ok. Belt sander bogged down and stopped under pressure. Took it a part and found that the belt sander was belt driven from the disk sander motor. The belt was loose and slipping, so I tightened it. All is well.

Putting a permanent trickle charger wiring harness on my Polaris Ranger side by side. bumped the back side of my light bar switch and broke off the wire leads. Tested the wires with a multimeter and connected to the switch. No lights, but wiring got very hot, started smoldering and melting. I disconnected the wiring before it started on fire.

It blew the light bar wiring harness fuse and melted the wires together. Spliced in some new wire, popped in a new fuse, and wired to the switch. Works now. Must have had the switch leads mixed up causing the meltdown.
Old 02-04-2023, 07:32 AM   #1138

Time to replace the copper contacts and plunger in the starter solenoid in the beater car. Only got 31 years and 334,000 miles out of it. Cheap $10 fix and back on the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1432.jpg (689.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1434.jpg (672.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (622.6 KB, 19 views)
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 01:56 PM   #1139

Replaced the igniter in the pellet stove.
Sounded easy. Remove back cover, remove 1 screw that holds it in, unplug 2 wires. Remove igniter from tube and insert new one, reassemble.

Took about an hour because of course nothing wants to come apart, or go back together. Got it done after maybe a couple dozen garage words.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 02:34 PM   #1140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Time to replace the copper contacts and plunger in the starter solenoid in the beater car. Only got 31 years and 334,000 miles out of it. Cheap $10 fix and back on the road.
I've done several of those over the years. The brushes on the armature rarely get worn enough to replace but that poor solenoid take a beating with the high current hits.