Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2024, 05:28 PM   #1621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

That is why we turn the water off outside if we are leaving, even for 1 night.
Of course some appliances still have water in them and might leak, but not a flood.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2024, 05:30 PM   #1622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Good thing you weren't on a trip
Yeah. In the old days, we cut the main before leaving, but now she's got drip watering for outdoors and a visiting neighbor for indoors, so "can't" do that anymore. It was just a drip, but those add-up.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 05:56 PM   #1623

I was waiting for a guy with a aluminum Fascia bender to be in the neighborhood, and ask him to bend an 11ft piece of Fascia to replace a gable end piece that blew away in our recent tornado. I had a couple of pieces left from the hurricane 5 years ago that made 9'6" a little to short. My wife got a little antsy today and found a piece of aluminum, and she was sure I could bend it to match. (Damn, I have let known too much about my secret skills . )
So, I hauled out my Harbor Freight sheet metal brake and proceeded to make 3, 90* bends in a 30" aluminum piece to match the original soffit pieces. The hard part was installing it while laying on the ribs of the metal roof, pushing into my ribs. The metal ribs won. I still have to add one more piece, but I'll climb back on the roof tomorrow when I'm fresh again.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 10:21 PM   #1624
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
... The hard part was installing it while laying on the ribs of the metal roof, pushing into my ribs. The metal ribs won. I still have to add one more piece, but I'll climb back on the roof tomorrow when I'm fresh again.
Could you bring up a thick pillow or folded blanket to put over the metal ribs ?
Old 02-20-2024, 06:34 AM   #1625

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I have been thinking about water/moisture alarms. They're cheap, but you gotta keep working batteries in them, I suppose..
Too late, but I got 6 for $36 on Amazon. They come with the 9 volt battery and they'll chirp when the battery is low. I hope the battery lasts a good while.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 06:58 AM   #1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Could you bring up a thick pillow or folded blanket to put over the metal ribs ?

I will do that to put the last piece on today. I woke up with sore ribs this morning.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:35 AM   #1627
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
The TP roll under the sink was severely soggy (weighed a pound) and so had a spontaneous leak. It was the hose between the hot cutoff and the faucet. More specifically, the crimp between the hose and the fitting.

I ordered a new hose ($5 off Amazon) and replaced it.

The new hose said "replace every 5 years"! Ain't nobody got time for that! I have been thinking about water/moisture alarms. They're cheap, but you gotta keep working batteries in them, I suppose. This cheap bathroom cabinet is particle board and swelled up a bit, but not bad enough to replace.

I put one of those water alarms in my hot water heater pan and forgot about it. About a year later I am in a museum several states away and my phone starts beeping like crazy. I finally figure it out it's the water alarm and call a neighbor. Sure enough my water heater is leaking. When I got home I bought four more and put them under all the sinks. I get an email when the batteries are low, but I go around and replace all of them at once, The battery lasts about a year if it doesn't go off, which seems to kill the battery. Mine are AA
gutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:59 AM   #1628

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Update!
- Re all had previously troubleshot to a bad power relay for the compressor and condenser fan ... got working by tearing top off the relay to be able to sand points that were burned - $2 relay arrived via Chinese ebay seller with 5.50 for shipping, total about $7.50. De soldered the old one, soldered in the new - works fine, now.
- icemaker also had a issue

Well done !

I have a similar scenario. Tracked a 'no fan coming on' problem with the heating system down to an arced relay contact. Like you, I sanded down the contact, and the unit worked fine for 2 weeks, then same problem.

Looked online for a new relay. Using the original part number I found plenty of relays for sale. All ranging from $75 to $84. Just for one relay. Well, must be supply and demand, I thought. After all, the relay has a unique mounting setup: a little tab on it that fits into a slot on some sheet metal, and a threaded hole on its side to accept a screw.

I couldn't see spending $84 for a 'supply and demand' type relay, though.
After ages of searching online, I accidentally searched by generic characteristics, like double pole double throw 24 volt relay, and came up with lots of reasonably priced relays that were just fine. I would just have to accept the fact that I would not be mounting it in its original location. Fine.

Ended up getting one for $15 all taxes and shipping included. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I found great advice out there on the internet, but it was few and far between, and the guys sometimes disappeared and came back days later.

Not complaining though, lol.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:21 AM   #1629
Recycles dryer sheets

We had family visiting over the holidays that are exceedingly rough on things: Broken doorknobs, clogged toilets, etc. It's never their fault. It's always, "look what happened."

This trip we had to replace the cartridge in the guest bathroom sink from them yanking on the handle. Ironic that the Moen cartridge that had been in there is called a "Duralast."

It had been working fine for over a decade, but according to them it, "must have been defective." *sign
CO-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:04 AM   #1630

Quote:
I will do that to put the last piece on today. I woke up with sore ribs this morning.
I have an old large couch cushion that my wife hates, for working under sinks and the like. It sits on an antique two drawer commode and the dogs like to sit on it and look out the window. Yesterday she wrapped it with one of her quilts and is now satisfied. PHEW!
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 08:34 AM   #1631

Last March my mini-fridge stopped working. It was only 22 years old and I bought it from Walmart, so it was top quality.
I pulled it out, did some testing, and found the PTC (positive temperature coefficient) relay was bad. Ordered a new one from eBay for $5 and the fridge is still working today. Hope to get many more years from it.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 09:14 AM   #1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO-guy View Post
We had family visiting over the holidays that are exceedingly rough on things: Broken doorknobs, clogged toilets, etc. It's never their fault. It's always, "look what happened."

This trip we had to replace the cartridge in the guest bathroom sink from them yanking on the handle. Ironic that the Moen cartridge that had been in there is called a "Duralast."

It had been working fine for over a decade, but according to them it, "must have been defective." *sign

Take a deposit next time they come, show them everything is working and if it is that way when they leave the deposit will be refunded!

It was and now that my kids are grown, still is a running line, "quit playing with it, your just going to break it" But now instead of me saying, it is them saying it to their kids.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:42 AM   #1633

Quote:
Too late, but I got 6 for $36 on Amazon. They come with the 9 volt battery and they'll chirp when the battery is low. I hope the battery lasts a good while.
I have those and the batteries have lasted many years. In fact, every now and then one will start to chirp, telling me to change the battery and happens infrequently enough that it takes me a while to figure out what the chirp is and where I put the water alarms in the first place....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:24 AM   #1634

Yesterday the dryer belt snapped while drying a load of towels. Went to the appliance store 5 min away and thankfully they had one left for $15. Got home and 35 min later we were back in business.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:27 PM   #1635

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Yesterday the dryer belt snapped while drying a load of towels. Went to the appliance store 5 min away and thankfully they had one left for $15. Got home and 35 min later we were back in business.
This is one of those satisfying repairs that is fairly easy. Impresses the hell out of the spouse, too.

I've done this three times in the 27 years I've lived in my house. My old mid-90's Maytag dryer keeps on going. I'm also shocked at the sheer simplicity of this old dryer. Not much to see when you take off the front panel.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:38 PM   #1636
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Take a deposit next time they come, show them everything is working and if it is that way when they leave the deposit will be refunded!

It was and now that my kids are grown, still is a running line, "quit playing with it, your just going to break it" But now instead of me saying, it is them saying it to their kids.
If only it was that easy. It's always a, "something happened with this." No matter how many things they break, they insist they're wonderful houseguests.
CO-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:06 PM   #1637
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our 11 year old Electrolux dryer quit drying. Display showed an error code E64 and a phone number to call for service. DW was anxious to find someone right away to get it fixed. She didn't think I was up to the task but I didn't want to pay for and expensive repair and a marked up spare part. I YouTubed the E64 error code and found several videos on how to replace the heating element. I ordered the part on Amazon, $128.00 for the OEM part. I am happy to report dryer is Working well. I only suffered two minor sheet metal cuts.
Old 02-28-2024, 11:49 AM   #1638

Replaced a 35-year-old Leviton single-pole switch for $1.39 from Ace Hardware.

Its (Leviton) replacement appeared nearly identical to the original.

But has added a screw for a ground connection.

Both made in the USA.

Though I'm sure the original cost closer to $0.39!
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:42 PM   #1639

Neighborhood's HOA board forgot to turn the water off for the entrance irrigation system - a "hard" freeze cracked the casing on one of the two shutoffs on the backflow preventer - and several sections of PVC pipe.

I had two previously broken preventers from rental houses - so, I combined the three into one good one - a FrankenPreventerValve (sounds German, huh?).

All glued back in and operating. One estimate was $350 and one via a large irrigation company was $685.

A new backflow preventer is $115 and it took about an hour (but, I was messing around a bit and also repaired the faucet's cracked piping).
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 07:25 PM   #1640
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
Last March my mini-fridge stopped working. It was only 22 years old and I bought it from Walmart, so it was top quality.
I pulled it out, did some testing, and found the PTC (positive temperature coefficient) relay was bad. Ordered a new one from eBay for $5 and the fridge is still working today. Hope to get many more years from it.
That's impressive, @jimbee! Diagnosing and fixing the fridge yourself is no small feat. I can only do simple repairs, like fixing a leaky faucet and repairing a door lock this past Saturday.
CosmicDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote